Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #1  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

Question Anybody else here never feel full?

It seems like a strange sort of issue, but surely I can't be the only one...?

No matter what, when I eat, I never feel full. Which isn't to say that I feel hungry constantly, that isn't the case at all. But I can eat a meal, and not feel full at the end... Regardless of how much I eat. A lot of times this leads to me eating more than I should, and I really hate that. Obviously I'm working on training myself to just stop eating, but it's not always the easiest thing ever. Today, for example, was a bad eating day for me. I went shopping with my friend, and we went to Chipotle for an early dinner. I ate most of my burrito bowl, stopped eating, whatever. Then my other friends invited me to the lake, and I went, and they were barbecuing. And I ate a couple hot dogs. And a small strip of chicken.

There was no reason for me to eat at the lake other than the fact that I've been craving barbecue(my own fault, to be sure). I was absolutely not hungry. But the issue I have is that even after eating that on top of the burrito bowl... I didn't feel full or anything. Just... Not hungry.

I don't know, maybe I'm weird. But it kind of bothers me, because it's so easy to slip on something so stupid. We get used to eating until we feel full... But what does one do when that feeling doesn't happen?
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 346/308/199

Height: 5'10"

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have to eat an insane amount of food to get that full feeling. I don't know if my stomach is stretched way out or something, or if it's a psychological thing.
Cherry in STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/184/130ish - 33 y.o.

Height: 5'2"

do some investigation into when and how much you consume to feel full. my issue was gaining steadily over the years; that's a direct result of eating too much. through calorie counting, i've learned (um.. still learning, old habits are hard to break said the chinese buffet) the correct amount of food i need to fuel my body. i've also learned that the "full feeling" i always craved was actually the feeling of over-doing it.
by not feeling full does that mean you feel hungry? or just not full?

when i was first learning and i though i was still hungry, i would stop and drink water, with the intent of waiting 15 minutes to see if my body needed more. never did bc often times i would be off doing something else and no longer be in eating mode. good luck figuring this out. i'm sure more folks will respond tomorrow morning.
jlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #4  

Height: 6-1.5

I am glad you made that second post. What I have researched is that a human being does not need to totally gorge so that all her stomach is full-- way too much food. I have also learned that a tiny cube of cheese or "food" will stop your cravings for many hours. Over-eating has been one of my biggest problems, and major cause of my overweight. I would make a whole crock-pot of stew or something and eat half of it at a meal when I should have only eaten a cup or cup and a half of the stuff. (measuring cup). Eating by volume is one of the most important lessons I have had to learn. I still fill up a measuring cup and then put it on my plate. Someone (wise) out there said that you should eat no more per meal than the size of your fist. That is about how much your stomach will hold. That is about 1 hot dog-- That is a lot less than what people usually get on their plate! Anyway, I eat by size of meal, not calories. It takes discipline too, because you have to shrink your stomach-- and that is uncomfortable as you are doing it.

Also, I read before that the weight of the food can cause the stomach's hunger signals to turn off. If you eat "heavy" food, like beans you will feel full.

Last edited by giselley; 05-04-2010 at 03:48 AM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 147/121/118

Height: 5'4

I am totally the same. My thin friends can look at a piece of cake or whatever after they've had a meal and just not want to eat it. I can really eat anything whenever, no matter how much I've already eaten. Unless I'm going out for a meal and have all three courses, I don't feel like I'm FULL, but since dieting I've recognised that feeling isn't a positive one, really. I don't know about you, but my idea of full is actually my stomach not having any more room whatsoever to fit food - that's not the right way to eat!

I saw an interesting programme with this in it - they had a bunch of little kids and gave them lunch. Then they asked them how full they were, and most of them pointed to the diagram of the person whose stomach was full of food. Then, they started the kids off drawing and gave them a plate of party food. It was really interesting to see that some of the kids just left the food, because they didn't want it because they were full. Some had one or two pieces. Some just sat there mindlessly cramming piece after piece into their mouths until they had eaten the whole plate-full. I can categorically state that I would have been the kid with nothing left on my plate at the end. There's just something about my brain that doesn't seem to feel there's any connection between having already had food, and eating more. At times I honestly used to make myself feel ill from eating too much. But since I started controlling my calories, I've not felt that in a long time, and I really really like it!
Belease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belease View Post
I am totally the same. My thin friends can look at a piece of cake or whatever after they've had a meal and just not want to eat it. I can really eat anything whenever, no matter how much I've already eaten.
I feel much the same way, and used to be amazed when someone would turn down cake, say, and and explain "I had a big lunch and I am full". I would think "Who's too full for a delicious cupcake? I don't even understand that". Then, one day, I realized that they are lying. At least a lot of them are. "I'm full" is a polite social lie for "I can't eat that" because many, many thin people consciously regulate their intake, which is why they are thin. They could eat, and enjoy, the cupcake, but they had a big lunch so they don't think they should.

This sounds so dumb when I type it out, but it was just a social signal I missed. I thought everyone was wired profoundly differently than I, but I am now coming to suspect that in many cases it is not that simple.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #7  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I think there is a difference between feeling full and being satisfied. I have a binge eating problem & when I would binge, I'd eat until I was in pain. I would have trouble breathing because I was so full of food, but I was never satisfied.

I guess my stomach has shrunk because I do feel full now sometimes on a little bit of food. But I still don't have the satisfied feeling. Well, actually I feel quite satisfied when I can get up from the table and walk away from the food.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Back in the day I ate till I was INCOMFORTABLY full. Now, I eat till I am satisfied. Not full, but not hungry.

And to tell you the truth, I most definitely COULD eat more, I feel as if there's room for it - but, and this is a biggie - I don't rely on how I FEEL - I rely on my calorie allotment. I have a pre-determined amount of food that I eat at one sitting - when it's gone - THAT is what determines when I stop eating.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Seems like forever that 'feeling full' part of me was broken. I still have trouble. I did, however, learn something in a mindful eating class that helps. Try this: when you take a bite of food follow that food down your esophagas and into your tummy. Really try to feel the food down there. (sometimes I'll close my eyes.) Do it again and again. After you do it many times - you will begin to feel a kind of fullness. Or, at least that the food is down in your stomach. It really takes alot of practice - but, I never thought it was possible to feel any fullness at all.

Do I do this on a regular basis - no - not often enough. But, sometimes, I'll do it to remind myself that I can.

I realize this sounds kind of silly.

Of course...I certainly don't rely on that to tell me to stop eating.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-04-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #10  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Honestly, it's a good thing and how you should feel after you are finished. It's something we have to retrain ourselves into understanding thing difference between full and satisfied. Full is how I got to 268 lbs, satisfied is how I've gotten to 160 lbs.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #11  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Full is how I got to 268 lbs, satisfied is how I've gotten to 160 lbs.
I like that, nc! Great quote! That one will stick with me!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #12  

You should never feel full. You should feel satisfied and not hungry. Feeling full means you have eaten too much.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yes, my self-regulating mechanism doesn't work right. It's not exactly broken, but it's on a time delay. I don't realize that I'm full or overly full until some time after the mounds of food have been tamped down into my stomach.

My struggle is this: Why is the feeling of being full so physically pleasurable? To the point where it's almost sexual? (Maybe we shouldn't go there on a public forum ...) That's a big component of it. To be full, replete, a little sleepy. Maybe because I connect it with a feast, that is, a family gathering with a lot of food on the table? So it's finally about connecting & love? And I'm sort of chasing after that memory when I stuff myself? A perpetual after-Thanksgiving-dinner haze of good cheer & warmth? I don't know. But I know it's one of my problems. And so, like others here, I have to use outward measurements of the normal quantity of food to ingest, because I can't rely on my messed-up inward regulatory system to do it for me.

Also thank goodness for my having read about volumetrics, and educating myself about what food can be piled on the plate, and what can't. Green beans, yeah. Broccoli, sure. Clear broth soup, bring it on. But not trail mix, which is dangerous for me in large quantities. (Not even Trader Joe's, as opposed to the kind with M&Ms & such in it.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #14  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I feel much the same way, and used to be amazed when someone would turn down cake, say, and and explain "I had a big lunch and I am full". I would think "Who's too full for a delicious cupcake? I don't even understand that". Then, one day, I realized that they are lying. At least a lot of them are. "I'm full" is a polite social lie for "I can't eat that" because many, many thin people consciously regulate their intake, which is why they are thin. They could eat, and enjoy, the cupcake, but they had a big lunch so they don't think they should.

This sounds so dumb when I type it out, but it was just a social signal I missed. I thought everyone was wired profoundly differently than I, but I am now coming to suspect that in many cases it is not that simple.
Not dumb at all.. it makes a LOT of sense. I always wondered how anyone could say NO to desert?? Now I know why.

My DH and I ended up overweight because when we went to eat we were so full we were miserable afterwards. We thought that was ok. We are now learning our limits. I don't have to clean my plate just because its there.

I eat slowly so that helps for me to tell when I am satisfied. If you feel sick and can barely move after you eat then you know you went too far! Which used to be how I ate EVERY meal.
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #15  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
My struggle is this: Why is the feeling of being full so physically pleasurable? To the point where it's almost sexual? (Maybe we shouldn't go there on a public forum ...) That's a big component of it. To be full, replete, a little sleepy. Maybe because I connect it with a feast, that is, a family gathering with a lot of food on the table? So it's finally about connecting & love? And I'm sort of chasing after that memory when I stuff myself? A perpetual after-Thanksgiving-dinner haze of good cheer & warmth?
I totally get what you are saying. Feeling stuffed IS a pleasurable feeling, to a certain extent. (There is such a thing as being over-stuffed, too.) I honestly think it's adaptive--it makes evolutionary sense that in times of extra food, humans would want to stuff themselves, and enjoy stuffing themselves, so that fat would be stored on our bodies. We're not broken because that feels good to us...it's just that our industrial food system is broken.

I distinguish my hunger/full signals into a lot of categories. There is being stuffed or "full." I don't often get full in that way anymore, nor do I really seek it out. Occasionally I will feel that way after my special Friday night dinner, where I eat a few hundred extra calories.

Then there is being satisfied. I am almost always satisfied after my regular meals, which are heavy on protein and good carbs, and always include some veggies or fruit. It's pretty rare that I am not satisfied, actually. But I also eat frequently--6 to 7 times per day.

Then there is stomach hunger. I don't mind stomach hunger that much, it's a nice feeling before eating. It's not so nice if it goes on for hours and hours. But it's good to feel those twinges of an empty stomach before putting a good, satisfying meal in it.

Then there is low-blood-sugar hunger. This is totally separate from stomach hunger; I don't have to feel stomach hunger in order to feel low-blood-sugar hunger, and vice versa. Sometimes they come together, but not often. When my blood sugar dips too low, I become faint and weak and dizzy and very cranky. I absolutely hate this feeling, hate it so much. I am very prone to hypoglycemia, so I am extremely careful with my food intake (frequent, timed, watching the protein and carb balance especially in the morning) in order to keep it away. If I do become hypoglycemic, then usually I have to eat more calories overall in the day in order to recover from it, which is a process that takes a few hours of steadily eating protein and good carbs.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote