Vegetarian Chicks - Why are you Veg*n?

View Full Version : Why are you Veg*n?

VeggiePowered
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I am a strict vegetarian, and try to avoid all animal products in clothing, health and beauty products etc (but don't claim to be vegan). I am vegetarian, first and foremost, for animal rights reasons. However, after reading "The China Study" I'd say that health reasons are a side benefit for me.

How 'bout you?

nelie
05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Here is a good thread "What type are you?"
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-vegan-faq/44724-what-type-you.html

My response to that thread is probably a couple years old :)

I consider myself vegetarian although I'm really vegan in practice although sometimes you'll catch me saying I'm vegan. The China Study and Eat to Live were my initial motivations

Personally, why am I now? Because I love it and it makes sense for me.

lights76
05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Just a Vegetarian(love my cheese). Been one my entire life, parents and bro are veggies too. We are East Indian (hindu) so the cow is sacred but my family (extended included) just never ate meat and it carried onto to and so far to my children (my husband eats meat - at least when we are not in the house).

My Body in Motion
05-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I started eating locally when I became aware of the environmental impact of shipping food from all over the country (and other countries). To find local, humainly-raised meat is sometimes hard to find. So most of the time, my husband and I just do without. BUT, when we do find a good deal on free-range, organic, local chicken at our farmer's market, we do indulge. :-)

bonnnie
05-04-2010, 04:50 AM
I read a lot of the philosopher, Peter Singer, in college and well, he made sense to me. I know a lot of people disagree with his hardcore writing and ethics, but I think reading him increased my quality of life. I was a vegan for awhile - then got away from veganism as I was only focused on eating for weight loss (indulging in the low carb, meat/cheese heavy lifestyle)- then threw my hands up in the air, entirely unhappy with my life, feeling depressed, and returned to the vegan lifestyle. Actually, the day I did this, an insanely HUGE four story truck filled with beautiful big pink pigs drove by me. The pigs were scared out of their mind. Their little noses were sticking out.... this intensely strong emotional feeling starting stirring inside of me. I realized I couldn't live with myself if I produced the demand for one of these beautiful animals.

The environmental benefits of veganism are also very important, as well as the health benefits. I focus on vegetables, beans, and whole grains. It is a great way to feel full and not gain weight. I find my body has this unhealthy 'addiction' when I eat cheese - I can't stay away from it, I want more and more and I think about eating it constantly. Its best if I just avoid it.

Airforcechick07
05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I am a vegetarian, been one my whole life. For some reason I just never liked the flavor of any meat..... but I love cheese!!!!

pinkalarmclock
05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
I like all the reasons for being vegan and think they all turned me into one. Animal rights, when I honestly think about how "meat" is actually a animal that died and lived horribly, I feel disgusted with how we eat it. It's not just how they live horribly though, its that we eat them at all. I believe that we have to desensitize ourselves to the idea of killing animals to eat and even though this might be a stretch for some, I think we are so violent mainly because of this. We don't need animals to live healthy lives, so I think we should move forward and live in peace with them.

Secondly is the environment. By eating vegan you greatly diminish your ecological footprint. Right now the entire ecological footprint for all humans is 1.4, meaning we need almost one and a half Earth's to keep up what we are doing. And its estimated that in only a couple years we will need two Earth's to keep up with us. So I like the idea of saving the only place our entire race and every other species on the planet can live.

Then, there is also all the health benefits. I get lots of fiber, lots of vitamins, I have regular bathroom breaks, I don't eat any cholesterol (my family has a history of bad cholesterol), I am getting less of the pesticides found in our environment by eating lower on the food chain, the fat I am getting is from nuts and avacados and vegetable oils instead of dairy and animal flesh. I read Diet for a New America and if the things in his book are accurate I have less of a chance for cancers and other diseases.

I feel better mentally and feel like I am finally helping Earth and the things on it instead of ignoring it, and I also have more clarity, energy, and happy emotions. I feel great physically and my running has improved. My skin is clearer, my hair looks healthier, and I am more excited about life. I feel like my eyes have been opened.

bonnnie I never heard of peter singer I am definitely going to look him up!

effie12
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I guess I would be classified as a vegetarian, although the only animal product I eat (and only in very small quantities) is honey. I still have all my leather bags and animal product things from before I made the transition. When people ask, I usually just say "I'm a vegan" because I don't feel like explaining it to everyone. Anyway, I cite my reasons as environmental, and also because I have had a lifelong sensitivity to dairy products that I always chose to ignore. I cut dairy out first and felt better very soon after. Then went red meat, because although I enjoyed steak, it isn't the healthiest option. The last thing to go was white meat chicken and eggs, and I haven't really missed them since. It is crazy how quickly you can get used to eating a wholesome vegan/vegetarian diet. Getting all my nutrients is not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be, including protein which was my mother's only concern when I told her about it. That being said, I think it is a very personal choice and I would never force my beliefs on anyone and I don't know to what extremes I will go to in order to ensure everything I eat is perfectly "vegan" if I was at someone's home or something. The environmental reasons are mostly the same as the others stated in this thread. My parents still eat meat, but there is some peace of mind knowing that they nearly always buy local and organic.

Airforcechick07
05-05-2010, 08:12 AM
What is everyones view on being a vegetarian simply because you do not like meat.....Most ppl think Im all about saving the animals and yes I care about the animals and personally would never kill one but that isnt my passion or reason for being a vegetarian........

pinkalarmclock
05-05-2010, 10:35 AM
What is everyones view on being a vegetarian simply because you do not like meat.....Most ppl think Im all about saving the animals and yes I care about the animals and personally would never kill one but that isnt my passion or reason for being a vegetarian........

i can't really construct a view on something like that. you don't like meat, so you don't eat it. its the same as if someone didn't like brussel sprouts, they wouldn't eat it. or if they hated wearing yellow so they didn't.

Airforcechick07
05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
See I totally agree with that..... I cant understand why ppl assume I do it because im a vegetarian so there for I must me an animal rights activist..... PPL are so close minded.

pinkalarmclock
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
they are. there are some people that i dread telling about my eating habits because i know they think all people like that are granola hippy activists who are weak and ridiculously liberal crazy. i hope time will teach them they are wrong, hopefully even i can help destroy that belief with them

Airforcechick07
05-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Exactly......I dont want to sound like I dont care about the environment or animals I do but its not my priority or my reason why I am a vegetarian.

MissKelly
05-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Just a standard Vegetarian here. Before I ballooned up due to illness and meds and the convenience of fast food and pizza, I was one for almost 15 years. I love animals, have a few of them here at home and I volunteer 2x a month at the local animal shelter and I belong to a movement to cease fairs and carnivals from giving away Iguanas as prizes, however, animals are not my "reason." It's solely due to the health benefits. I feel happier, am healthier, much more energetic and provides less weight issues in the long run.

I am plenty good with some thinking that most/all Vegi's do it for the animals, and I respect the Vegi's that do.

For the meat-chomping-lovers who do not exactly understand the "whys" of it, no matter, it's my body. Mine, mine, mine!

....And I am a long-time conservative Republican. ;)

OnAndOn
07-28-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm a vegetarian (vegan on and off) because I'm an animal lover. I try to go vegan sometimes but I have difficulty sticking with it. My motivation for going vegan is because of the animal rights issues at hand as well as the hormones and antibiotics being used on dairy cows, plus there's the connection to veal...

I try, but I love cheese and ice cream, so I give in sometimes. :o

My best friend had cancer, and had to go vegan for a month before a procedure. Her doctor gave her "The China Study" and she passed it along to me. Fascinating stuff!

Another contributing factor was mercury poisoning. I never had it, but I read an article years ago about it contributing to problems with autism. I don't know if this is true or not, and I don't even have kids, but the idea that what I eat could damage my future children scared me. Again, I have no idea if there's a correlation or not, it just stuck in my head.

OnAndOn
07-28-2010, 03:02 AM
Oh, and one more thing... *skip this post if you don't want to be grossed out*

I was out to lunch with my cousin. She ordered some kind of chicken breast, and when she cut into it, this stuff came oozing out of it. It looked like she had cut into a tumor or some kind of pustule or something. It was so disgusting I almost puked (so did she). Never again after that! Sorry to be so disgusting.:cool:

sunshine
07-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I was looking for a way to lower cholesterol and blood sugar so I wouldn't have to take pills the rest of my life when I read about the book "Engine 2 Diet". I went to the bookstore to buy it but I saw "Eat To Live" in paperback and since it was cheaper, I bought it! Am I glad I did. My cholesterol dropped by over 100 pts and my blood sugar is normal now. I'm losing my excess weight and I love the food I eat. I can't stand the thought of eating meat, cheese, eggs or milk anymore.

MeganTheMushroom
07-30-2010, 07:58 PM
I went vegetarian because I think it's wrong to end a life to satisfy your taste buds when it's very well possible (as millions prove everyday) to live without doing that.
Then I went vegan, because I decided it isn't right to take things from animals that are theirs. Plus, I just love saying "I'm vegan" :3

Health benefits are reasons too- plus they were what finally got me motivated to lose weight and exerise

L R K
08-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I started eating locally when I became aware of the environmental impact of shipping food from all over the country (and other countries). To find local, humainly-raised meat is sometimes hard to find. So most of the time, my husband and I just do without. BUT, when we do find a good deal on free-range, organic, local chicken at our farmer's market, we do indulge. :-)

I am in the same boat as Motion. I have been reading Mark Bittman's "Food Matters"

“Lose Weight, Heal the Planet.” The losing-weight part is a classic dieting saga — in this case, Bittman’s own personal journey of slimming by cutting back on animal products and junk food and embracing more whole grains and produce. The healing-the-planet part is the book’s political angle — in this case, Bittman’s call to readers to follow his dietary example and thereby reduce the damage caused to the planet by our current system of intensive animal husbandry.

Starify
08-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Well I suppose I should just consider myself a strict vegetarian of some sort for fear that I would be completely wrong by calling myself a vegan. I don't eat any meat or milk based products nor do I eat honey, I try my best to only use organic hair/hygiene products that aren't tested on animals though sometimes I find myself using things that don't fit that catagory.

I have decided to become a vegetarian as of recently due to my strong feelings towards ethical treatment of the animals. (:

moonkissed
08-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Yesterday was my first day vegetarian :)

I have wanted to go vegetarian for so long but I just kept making excuses and feeling guilty but no more. It started out about animals but the more I read about it and learned it was a good decision for my health and the environment too.

:carrot:

ParadiseFalls
08-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Sorry to barge in on this thread, but I've been wondering—what's with the * in Veg*n? I've seen a few people do this lately.

moonkissed
08-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Sorry to barge in on this thread, but I've been wondering—what's with the * in Veg*n? I've seen a few people do this lately.

It is like the way of saying vegan or vegetarian together :)

Instead of typing out Why are you Vegan or Vegetarian you can just put Why are you Veg*n

ParadiseFalls
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
It is like the way of saying vegan or vegetarian together :)

Instead of typing out Why are you Vegan or Vegetarian you can just put Why are you Veg*n

Ohhh! So good to know! I've always skipped over those threads because I'm vegetarian.

And in that case, I'm vegetarian (almost 2 years) because I just realized one day how horribly hypocritical it was to say I love animals and submit them to the tortures of the meat industry.

Shamefully, I still eat eggs and dairy. I gave them up for 6 months but then I got too lazy to keep up with it when I did a study abroad program in Germany (I stayed vegetarian, but not vegan). My tentative plan is to try vegan again next summer when (hopefully) not as much of my diet will revolve around meal-replacement bars and shakes and frozen diet foods.

Serbrider
08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
As soon as I am in college (and away from my meat-guzzling family), I'm going vegan. Why vegan? Or even just vegetarian?

Well... vegetarian because I don't like meat. Chicken I can stand... and I can eat all the others... but whenever I go without... not once do I miss it. I am all for animal rights, but I'm not against people eating meat. If they want to eat meat... fine... as long as the animal was not abused or mistreated and the death was as painless and stress-less as possible. I just personally don't like the taste of meat. Anytime my mom makes pork... I won't eat it. And whenever steak or any kind of beef dish is made, I'll eat far less of it than anyone else in my family.

Why totally vegan?

I don't like cheese, eggs, or fish... and from what I can tell right now... I'm probably lactose intolerant... so might as well give that up too... ;) Then again... I don't think of it as "giving it up", just... eating things I like instead of things I'm told I should like because it's "normal". ;)

I'm not a crazy person... I'm not going to starve myself... I'm not doing it to gain attention to any one cause or another... I'm doing it because it seems more natural to me than anything else.

BUT... I have to wait a year... My grandparents are EXTREME meat eaters (like, meat is for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, no exceptions), so... yeah. No way I can just not eat it... until I move out that is. ;)

Allowatt
08-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Oh, and one more thing... *skip this post if you don't want to be grossed out*

I was out to lunch with my cousin. She ordered some kind of chicken breast, and when she cut into it, this stuff came oozing out of it. It looked like she had cut into a tumor or some kind of pustule or something. It was so disgusting I almost puked (so did she). Never again after that! Sorry to be so disgusting.:cool:

Similarly, I had a friend who opened her chicken nuggets from McDonalds and in place of one of the nuggets was a breaded and fried chicken foot. Yuck!

I originally became a vegetarian because it's an extremely healthy way to live. Two years ago I had a kitten who I loved more than anything and he unfortunately passed away, and that day I decided that I would improve something about myself in his honor.

After that, I read Skinny *****, Diet for a New America and this week I've been reading The Food Revolution. All of this literature reinforces my choices and has made it just as much about being healthy as it is about ethical treatment of animals!

therex
08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
BUT... I have to wait a year... My grandparents are EXTREME meat eaters (like, meat is for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, no exceptions), so... yeah. No way I can just not eat it... until I move out that is. ;)

i went to a friend's house for a sleepover a couple of years ago and he grandparents were really similar to yours. her grandma served me steak for breakfast! and it was like two portions. I'm not vegetarian right now (aspiring) nor was one back then, but i was so grossed out. Of course i felt obligated to eat everything on the plate, but i was so turned off to steak since then.

Ready2BThinna
08-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Because my body isn't a graveyard.

Not intended to be a judgment of/or against the choice of others. Just my personal perspective. It's cruel and un-necessary for me to eat meat when my body (mind and spirit) thrive on non-animal foods. It's taken a process of over 40 years back-and-forth eating to land me in a healthy place -- physically and emotionally. My body feels vibrant, and my relationship with food is now peaceful and centered.
:flow1:

blkbarbie25
09-26-2010, 06:04 AM
I'm not really big on animals rights but the 10,000 meat recalls scared the crap out of me

LaurenBelle
09-27-2010, 07:44 AM
i am a vegetarian because i am lucky enough to have a choice not to eat meat for survival. i simply cant abide by modern farming practices and the inherent cruelty that accompanies it. i hate the idea of knowing a creature died for my food, when i myself am so scared of death and unsure of what comes after it. i went vegetarian ten years ago and i haven't ever thought of turning back. its just part of who i am now, i cant ever see myself not being a vegetarian.

MrsSoCo
09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi,

Another vegetarian here. Everytime I think about meat I think about my dog's big brown eyes and then I just can't do it. Allergic to shellfish.

I haven't touched any red meat or pork in over 5 years. Once in a great while I will have chicken because it's the only option available (my family isn't vegetarian and doesn't get it, so I either bring my own food or find myself having to make some decisions when I visit them).

Still have a very soft spot for cheese - which probably explains my many soft spots..LOL

Not a tofu lover. Tried it many times. Each time, same reaction - yuck. I do love all the products that cater to us - like the Morning star products.