South Beach Diet - Hi! Anyone with PCOS?

View Full Version : Hi! Anyone with PCOS?

LOSTfan
05-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey! I'm new here, starting week 2 of phase 1 today. Last week I lost 3 lbs, which is great but not too exciting since it was probably all water weight.

I'm curious for those of you who have PCOS - what is/was your weight loss in phase 1?

jenne1017
05-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I have PCOS - I lost 8 in the two weeks the first time, six the second. Water was key for me. I am going to the Dr. in two weeks to check on it for the first time in 3 years...and get a check-up of course.

Good luck!

PinkHoodie
05-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I have PCOS too. Just finished up 14 days of Phase one last friday, and lost 13 pounds. But I also have a lot more to lose then you. I think 3 pounds is GREAT for the first week.
This month I didn't have any cysts! Which is huge for me, I have had them every cycle. But I have two eggs growing, and will be having an IUI on Wednesday. So fingers are crossed for me! :)

1oftheLuvs
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Congratulations! :carrot: A 3 pound loss the first week with only 20 pounds to lose is AWESOME! That's already 15% of what you need to lose.

I have PCOS as well and had a pretty big loss in Phase 1.... 8.5 pounds the first week and 1.5 pounds the second week, but I've got about 100 pounds to lose.

I've heard that you can expect to lose 10% to 20% of the amount you need to lose during Phase 1. I lost 10%, so in 1 week you are already ahead of what I lost during 2.

PinkHoodie
05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
You know what's funny? 10% is based off of my weight hahaha! Guess I should have done it off of what I have to lose! Oh well! :)

1oftheLuvs
05-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I think a goal of 10% of your weight is a great one, Pink.... I know that's an amount they recommend you lose to start to see some great health benefits.

It really is amazing how quickly you can see changes in your PCOS symptoms once you start eating this way... I had immediate relief of some of my problems as well.

Good luck with the IUI on Wednesday... :crossed:

PinkHoodie
05-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks Luvs. I'm hoping this is my month, but even if its not. I think the SBD has already helped like you said. I just hope I can keep losing. So eventually it might be easier to get pregnant. :)

LOSTfan
05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks girls!! I feel a bit happier about those 3 lbs now. :)
Good luck with the IUI, pink! I want to lose weight so I look good but even more than looking good, I want to lose weight in the hopes of getting pregnant. Been trying for 3 years now (with one miscarriage).
I just can't believe how HARD it is to lose weight with PCOS! I'm already nervous to weigh in again on Saturday because I know if the scale hasn't moved, I'll be so disheartened.

ChelseaW
05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Best of luck with the IUI PinkHoodie! I have BTDT - my little boy is an IVF baby. :)

LOSTfan, I don't have PCOS, but I am a huge fan of LOST! Can you believe the finale is just a few weeks away?!

PinkHoodie
05-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Oh I LOVE Lost too!!!!!!!! :)

LOSTfan
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I love finding new Lost fans. :D
I'm going to be sad when it ends! I'm also just a tad worried that the finale won't meet my expectations, so I'm trying to keep them low!

ChelseaW
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I totally know what you mean! After all the buildup, I think most people have the feeling that it BETTER be awesome! LOL I've come to terms with the fact that they're going to leave a lot of stuff unanswered, now I'm just trying to enjoy the ride. I geek out so much for that show, I even blog about it. You can check it out if you want: chelseagetslost.blogspot.com :)

LOSTfan
05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Whoa cool, I love Lost blogs. :D Definitely going to check it out.

Water25
07-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I did SB last spring and lost maybe four pounds in the twoo weeks of phase one. I only had about 12 to lose total. All my PCOS symptoms except for hisuitism went away. The composition of my body completely changed. And I got pregnant a month later after over six years of trying and being told I would never have a baby!
I am back on SB now for getting rid of the baby pudge and getting back to SB lifestyle.

PinkHoodie
07-09-2010, 08:31 PM
We ended up getting pg after I wrote those posts, but we lost the baby last week. So I am back on SB again to hopefully lose the weight, control the pounds and get pregnant again and KEEP this one. :)

Reddalice
07-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm 24 and have PCOS! I do not take birth-control or metformen, but try to regulate the best I am able by exercise and dieting. My doctor suggested SBD to me months ago, I rolled my eyes at the time... but am well in to Phase 1 and have a lot of faith. My starting weight was 229lbs, I'll let you know how this goes.

jewels2730
07-12-2010, 02:17 PM
I have PCOS too. I've known since age 22 and I am now 28. I see a great doctor who has suggested a low-glycemic diet, but up until now, I have never tried it. Now that my DH and I are almost ready to begin TTC, it finally got through my thick head that it probably isn't going to happen unless I get healthy! So hence the SB and changing our lifestyle!

Ruthxxx
07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the responses, Chickies. The OP has not been back since March. I think most of her questions were answered. I am closing this thread.

By the way there is a PCOS section here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/) for further questions and support.