Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Did you see Family Guy last night?

Stewie and Brian were trapped in a bank vault...they went through many emotions as other shows have done, when people are put in a tight (literally) spot and they 'have it out' with their feelings and such...but Brian admitted he had a gun in his safe deposit box, if he wanted to commit suicide. Stewie is surprised, and just asks non-serious questions first, but then asks Brian why..Brian said he felt like his life didn't have meaning.

Stewie reflects, and first said that it was a selfish act...well at that, I was ready to stop watching, because in my life when I blurted to the one closest to me that I was so despondent that I felt suicidal, and that person said it was the most selfish thing he had ever heard..

but then Stewie went on and said 'but Brian, you give MY life purpose' or something similar to that.

I'm probably not relaying this very well, but it was just really touching, and made me tear up, because many of us have been at that point, and maybe all it takes to keep you from following that train of thought, is that you give someone else meaning in their life, even if you can't see that, and think your life is worthless.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

Agree with you =)
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #3  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

When I feel suicidal and mention it to my husband (because it is information he may need) the first thing out of his mouth is usually something like, "I don't need this right now."

To which I think: Gee, thanks for caring.

I don't normally watch Family Guy, though, because the way Meg gets treated hits too close to home. It upsets and depresses me. However, thanks for sharing that bit between Brian and Stewie. It was sweet.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 05-12-2010 at 09:40 AM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

It was a cute episode.
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

Ugh, good it turned out OK in the end. But the 'selfish act routine' is a big cliché that I hate! I once read something about when people reach the suicidal stage (have experienced it too), and explained it simply as availability of resources, at that point there are simply more needs than resources available. The last thing someone in that fragile situation needs is another judgmental, uninformed person calling them 'selfish'. In my situation, ALL I wanted was a hug, someone to hold me and say nothing.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #6  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynottsgirl View Post
Ugh, good it turned out OK in the end. But the 'selfish act routine' is a big cliché that I hate! I once read something about when people reach the suicidal stage (have experienced it too), and explained it simply as availability of resources, at that point there are simply more needs than resources available. The last thing someone in that fragile situation needs is another judgmental, uninformed person calling them 'selfish'. In my situation, ALL I wanted was a hug, someone to hold me and say nothing.
Welcome to 3FC, happynott.

I feel the same way you do. I have a depressive illness, and I can become suicidally despondent even when things are going well. It's a biochemical thing.

Last time I felt that way, my hubby did exactly that. Held me and said nothing. It was the best thing he could have done. I'm glad he's beginning to understand. We're still newlyweds, still adjusting to each other.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 05-22-2010 at 05:26 PM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #7  

Good point raised, suicide can often be short sighted, and its necessary to spread awareness to people that it's commonplace to not be seeing the full picture, even in terms of obtaining solutions to our problems.
EatYourGreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

my hubby does the same thing. If i say something he ignores me and goes about his life. Really hurtful and not helpful. And frankly the selfish thing wouldn't work on me. I'd be like I'll show you selfish!
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I did see the episode as well. You have an awesome way of relaying it!

And as sad as it is, you may not know how much you impact someone's life. For example..... I know from our biker's thread that you Vermont Mom impact a lot of people in your job at the fishing club and your dreaded winter job. You may never know that you made someone's day brighter by just being your cheery self..... even if you don't feel cheery.

So, I want to say a big THANKS for the positive impact you have made on me as a biker chick and a person!

Last edited by ladyrider72472; 06-13-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: thought of something else to add
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote