Weight Loss Support - I want to try C25K but I feel weird doing it alone :(

JennieLovesKisses
05-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I had no clue what the C25K program was until about an hour ago. Now that I know what it is, I DLed the 9 week beginners schedule I'm starting to feel a little hesitant. Not hesitant about doing it, I KNOW I can do it...but doing it alone makes me kind of sad. I moved from California to Washington state a year ago and I honestly know no one besides my family and BF's family...not to mention its been raining like crazy. I've been going back and forth about asking my BF do start it with me, but I have a pretty good idea the answer is going to be no. We have a lake not too far from my house that has trails and stuff so I know that would be the perfect place to start running. I don't even know why I'm writing this, there isn't much you can say to me besides "suck it up and do it"...lol but it feels good to just say how I'm feeling.

I miss having a workout partner! I've lost almost 100lbs all alone and its really starting to get lonely! :(

Veil
05-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Jennieloveskisses =) I see you got your ticker, I just got mine tonight! I started a version of c25k on April 14th. Brisk walk 5 minutes then 50 second intervals. (for 25-30 minutes) 4 days in a row then 1 day off. *I LOVE IT!!* Now I am up to 90 second intervals. I might drop down to 3 days on, then 1 day off... (my R knee is mad at me)... So, I could be your long distance workout buddy? What ya think? We would need to work out what that even means... let me know.

JennieLovesKisses
05-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Aww thank you Veil! That would be great, man I wish my friends back in California would be long distance workout buddies but anytime I mention working out to them they only tell me how great I'm doing and that they will get around to it soon (never happens). Maybe we can just keep each other updated on here. I would love to keep hearing how yours is going! I'm not sure what days I want to start just yet. I have a pretty set schedule that I would have to change for C25K. My Mon/Wed/Fri are pilates risistance band workouts & 30 Day shred and my Tu/Th/Sat are 30 Day Shred, Sun are my rest days. I'm not sure if I should change my pilates risistance band days to Tu/Th/Sat and instead do my 30DS and then the C25K M/W/F.....gah I'm already confusing myself Haha. Anyways, I don't want to burn myself out either.

At the moment I do walk and for the past week Ive RAN lmao to and from my Boyfriends house, he lives a few house's down and up a hill (5min walk maybe). It was funny the other night I ran over there and completely passed his house, granted it was pitch black raining and I really couldn't see a thing, but I was surprised because I'm usually out of breath before I reach his house and that night I felt fine!

Veil
05-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Your schedule sounds busy-busy girl!! I'd recommend having more than one rest day a week with the c24k. Burn out is a valid concern, especially with everything else you're doing. (Great job doing the bands and 30 day shred!!)

We can use this thread to keep up on each others progress. I'm trying not to blow out my knee (I'm only at the 90 seconds point in my 2 1/2 weeks). Little by little- we can do this!! Keep me posted!

JennieLovesKisses
05-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Yay! and OMG I just asked my bf if he would do it with me...I expected a big NO but he says he might! :)

Yes, I'm def going to go through my workout schedule and re-think things and take things out and all that. Maybe spread out my 30day shred days to every other day. Maybe Wed's have another rest day, that would be so nice. I don't know...I'm working on it now actually.

JennieLovesKisses
05-03-2010, 12:32 AM
So it worked out perfectly, the last day of my 30 Day Shred will end on the last day of May!

My new Schedule (starting next Tuesday 5/11):
Mon - 30DS & Pilates/resistance band (Front Body)
Tues - C25K
Wed - 30DS & Pilates/resistance band (Core)
Th - C25K
Fri - 30DS & Pilates/resistance band (Back Body)
Sat - C25K
Sun - Rest Day

*I was going to try and get in two rest days but I figured switching out 3 days of 30DS for 3 days of C25K would work just fine*

jynx
05-03-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm doing it on my own :) i go to the gym and do it or run early in the morning outside :) xxx

Veil
05-03-2010, 09:30 AM
YAY!! Your BF is "maybe" on board! New schedule looks good. Just listen to your body and don't be afraid to re-arrange. I have the day off AND I just put in new massaging gel insoles in my running shoes-- oh yea, I'm gellin'...

Eliana
05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey there! I just started this week! I have a pretty good cardio base already having done Spin Cycle class for the last couple months. Last Thursday I thought I'd see if I could run a mile and I did! :carrot: But it was HARD. So I'm jumping into week 4 of the program. I did it on Saturday but did not have the time to do the last five minute run. I'm not sure I could have if time had allowed! :rofl: So I may just knock off that last five minutes for the week and call it a modified week 4 and then do the really week 4 next week. It all works out in the end! LOL!

Here's my crazy schedule, for kicks:

M: Spin Cycle, walk in the evenings
T: Run, hour of lifting, walk in the evenings
W: Spin Cycle, walk in the evenings
Th: Run, hour of lifting, walk in the evenings
F: Spin Cycle, walk in the evenings
S: Run, 1/2 hour lifting with PT, Yoga (Swim laps for fun-nice and easy)

ubergirl
05-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Jennie--

I did C25K by myself, and this might sound silly, but I got most of my support from the people who were posting in a C25K thread in the exercise forum. Every time I ran a segment I popped onto the thread and several of us were in around the same spot and we cheered each other on.

Being lonely sucks!!! But I think you'll have a great time doing it if you get some online buddies to do it with you.

lights76
05-03-2010, 10:29 AM
I am doing it alone. Check out the C25K forums (just google it) - they are veterans and newbies on there - it is really cool to see where people started and where they are. I only have 4 runs to go and have my first 5K scheduled for next week!!!

parkedout
05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
:carrot:

I am starting mine next Monday! So we will be around the same spot! PM me anytime-- the delay is shoes... I need new ones so I don't hurt myself! LOL

abreezies
05-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I started out doing this program with a buddy and now I do my walk/jog on my own. I thought I wouldn't like doing it by myself, but I actually like it better because I had to do week 4 for a couple weeks and I felt like I was holding her back......I would encourage you to do it even if you can't find a buddy, just make sure you are in a safe area and have some good tunes.....

Asherdoodles87
05-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I am on my second week of the program. It's so HARD. It's harder then I thought. I have been doing it on the treadmill. My face is bright red and pouring sweat by the 20 minute mark. My boyfriend isn't doing the program, but he stands by me while I do it. He keeps up with the time and switches the speeds from running to walking for me. It's just nice to have him there beside me while I do it. I talk to him sometimes when I am running too. If your boyfriend doesn't want to run with you, maybe he can just be supportive by being with you when you do it?

Good luck!

Eliana
05-03-2010, 11:34 AM
My face is bright red and pouring sweat by the 20 minute mark.
Good luck!

I tried to explain this to my husband! :rofl: I went into the bathroom just to swab off the drips and found every single pore in my face oozing sweat. I've never seen that on myself before!

Veil
05-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I love the sweating!!! My skin feels so much softer now-- and a nice glow for hours after my run!!

ubergirl
05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only red-faced one. I turn beet red and drip sweat-- which is funny cuz normally I hardly sweat at all.

Asherdoodles87
05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
which is funny cuz normally I hardly sweat at all.

Same. I hardly sweat at all during other exercises. It's just running that makes me look like I have a sun burn. It actually worries my boyfriend and anyone else around, but I feel fine afterwards. It just looks like I have been laying in the sun for a few hours.

I have been doing the treadmill at speed 4.0 for running and incline 5. I couldn't imagine how red and sweaty I would be if I made it higher.

EDIT: If you cannot find support in real life at least you have all of us and 3FC! We can be red faced together. :)

Eliana
05-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I have actually noticed in the Spin Cycle class that the easier the spinning gets (perceived effort), the more I sweat! Someone told me that was great detox. I'm one who normally doesn't sweat either. I think my internal thermostat is resetting itself. I get colder easier, do not get as hot as quickly and I sweat more. :dizzy:

nelie
05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Are there any running stores near you? Most good running stores have 5k running programs where you get to meet others and work with others towards your 5k goal. I did one and it was great.

Fat Pants
05-03-2010, 01:27 PM
This thread makes me so happy.

WARNING: Running can be highly addictive. :rofl:

Eliana
05-03-2010, 01:32 PM
WARNING: Running can be highly addictive. :rofl:

So I've heard! :rofl: I think it's the endorphin rush. So addictive! I love lifting, but I do not get that endorphin high from it. Now combine running with lifting and I'm giddy for half the day!

JennieLovesKisses
05-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Wow I didn't know I would get so many responses! Thank you so much everyone for the support!

Veil - Turns out my Boyfriend is really interested in doing this with me! I'm so happy about that...and a little nervous now :dizzy: He's super skinny, prob not in as good a shape as me since I workout almost everyday and he does like...nothing. I'm sure I'll get over that once I'm out there. I will def listen to my body and how its reacting to this new schedule, and if its too much i'll for sure take weds off!

lights76 - I'll have to check out the C25K forums as well.

nelie - I live in North Bend, Wa and people here are HUGE on outdoor sports and all that fun stuff so I'm pretty sure there is a running store near me, I'll start checking on that.

parkedout - I really need to get some running shoes too, I only have two pairs: Converse and some heavy duty boots...lol and for the past few days now I've been running to my BF's house in those boots and it feels like I've got weights on. xD

Fat Pants - I can already tell its addicting! I've been looking forward to running to my BF's house every night! :D

MeowMix
05-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm in the same boat!! Well, not so much now that your BF is going to do it with you but, well yea. I've wanted to do the c25k for the longest time but I'm so freaked out about going outside and running alone. My husband is a no go because he had "asthma" as a kid and feels he can never run even though I've never seen him have an attack. And this rain! OMG this dang rain! I think it would be sort of exhilarating running the rain though :)

I always look at the c25k app and think I should just do it! But I haven't.

JennieLovesKisses
05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Oh you live in Wa too! I know and its not even just the rain but the COLD! I just moved here a year ago and apparently I've lucked out on the snow not coming this year? I heard last year was one of the worst winters. Its FREEZING and I moved from California so I'm really not used to this yet. I was more concerned about my BF not wanting to run because of the rain and cold...i told him no matter what the weather is like, I'm running and he accepted to do that with me, im so surprised.

MeowMix
05-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm a little bit new to WA too, well, I've lived here 3 years and last year was the only one of those that had snow. Everyone told us it was unusual and that's fine with me, I don't like the snow. We're right on the boarder of OR so maybe farther up WA it snows more, not sure. I also grew up in CA and before I moved here I was living in FL so this has probably been the coldest place I've lived.

But that's so cool your BF is going to do it with you! I bet you're excited.

Fat Pants
05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
I skimmed through the thread but why are you concerned about running alone? Safety? That's understandable...I run in the afternoon/evening in a very populated area and try to avoid low people traffic areas. My husband also got me a Road ID that has all of my vital info on it... I never run without it now!

If you are just concerned with running by yourself and what others think....don't worry too much! I started out by myself at well over 200 lbs, in front of others at the gym using C25k. Then when the weather got better I moved outside...I don't think I've ever heard a negative comment from people. In fact, I got more smiles and high fives! Running is truly a liberating experience...it completely changed my life and gave me so much confidence PLUS it is how I shed 80 lbs! Oh, I love it. If you have ANY inkling to become a runner...do it!! You won't regret it! :)

JennieLovesKisses
05-04-2010, 08:06 PM
No its not really about safety or what people would think of me. I have no problem going into a crowed gym and working my butt off in front of people. I live in a forest so I think the only threat might be me tripping over a rock/branch or running into a elk or bear! lol Its more the having company part, just to physically have someone there to talk to and share that with. For the past year I managed to lose almost 100lbs just working out alone in my room..and it gets old. My BF is still interested in doing this with me, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Veil
05-05-2010, 09:30 PM
JennieLovesKisses- How are you, how's your BF doing? Did you go out for a run/walk? I started Jillian's "30 Day Shred" today--I liked it!

Veil
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
OPPS, I just saw you start the 11th... duh! I still hope all is well... =)

JennieLovesKisses
05-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Veil - I'm doing good. Yeah I start on Tuesday the 11th. I believe I have 3 days left of level 2 of 30DS. I'm so ready to be done with it lmao. This is my second time around and though I love the video, I'm getting kinda bored of hearing the same thing everyday. MAN its been so cold here, I see snow on the mountains...but I'm still gonna start my running next week no matter what!

Veil
05-05-2010, 10:31 PM
JennieLovesKisses- About 30DS, I was wondering if hearing the same thing over and over would drive me crazy too... Did you see the option on the DVD where you can opt for music, but no talking? I'm gonna try that when I know the routine better.

JennieLovesKisses
05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
My friend just sent me her video though a file, I don't think I have that option at least I don't see it. I would just mute it and play music in the background but it opens up with the same program I use for my music so I can only have one thing going at a time.

mypunkrockromance
05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I am doing it now and I have a workout partner but am frustrated that she is not as committed as I am. So it may not always be beneficial. But is there a runners/walker group in town? I am constantly seeing groups together in the park where I run. Maybe you could start your own! Great way to meet people.

Veil
05-10-2010, 05:58 PM
How's everybody?

Today, I upped my intervals to 3 minutes run then 1 minute rest (I'm modifying the program so it works better for me). It was pouring all day today so I decided to go running out in the rain instead of the gym... and I LOVED IT!! It felt so good to stay cool while running. =) I feel I am getting addicted to running... and that blows my mind!!

JennieLovesKisses
05-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Thats great veil!

I actually went running and walking this week (not using C25K plan) just to get myself used to it before I start. My boyfriend did run/walk with me those days. I can tell already its going to be harder than I thought. lol, I ran only about 3/10ths of a mile and we walked the rest going uphill so that prob didn't help, totaling 1.5miles each time we worked out. I'm excited about tomorrow though...and a little nervous! hehe I'll keep you updated on how things go. :)

lights76
05-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I am doing Week 9 Day 2 today after work! Only 2 runs to go and I can officially say I am a graduate. The first couple of days are definite sweat inducer but you definitely feel energized and rewarded as you move up in the weeks!

JennieLovesKisses
05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Oh I do have a question to those who are currently doing C25K...do you typically run on flat ground? or do you run/walk uphill at all?

I'm planing on running up and down my street for now, until the weather here gets a bit nicer to go to the lake (has flat trails). However, my road has small hills I'd have to deal with. Should I stick to the flatter section of my road?

Veil
05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Jennie-- I'm sending you positive energy & strength today!

Regarding your question with hills- I'd stick to flat in the beginning, but that was my preference. You will need to slow your pace and dig deep going up those darn hills, but it uses up more calories, so yay!? Another positive: hills will maybe tone our legs faster? If you come to a hill but you still have some time on your run interval, I say, "keep going"! Planning ahead and knowing your route will help, because it sure can be depressing when you have a low energy day and lots of hills-- (ugh, kick me when I'm down why don't ya!) I don't know if this rambling has helped..... Hills or no hills, it's mostly a mental challenge. You can do it!!

StuffedBunny
05-11-2010, 11:10 AM
What is the 30DS?

JennieLovesKisses
05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Thank you Veil...I think I'll still to the flatter ground for now haha.

StuffedBunny - 30DS is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred program.

StuffedBunny
05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh ok.

Good luck with the C25K thing today!

It's looks interesting, I looked it up yesterday. I know my boyfriend wants to start running so maybe I'll talk to him about it and if he's interested I'll give it a go!

JennieLovesKisses
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
30DS is a great workout video! This is my second round of it and it still kicks my butt! haha

And thank you! I'm a little nervous about it still...the other day when I ran, I only ran like 2/10ths of a mile and was out of breath haha. I hope it was at least a minutes worth because thats what I gotta do today and do it like 8times. lol

StuffedBunny
05-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah I can understand the being nervous thing. But if you can stick with it, running is such an awesome workout and once you reach your final goal it'd be an awesome way of maintaining both your weight and muscle! So I think it's an excellent thing to start doing...

JennieLovesKisses
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
For sure! I used to run in high school actually, 2-3miles...but rarely outside, It was usually on a treadmill or an elliptical which feel completely different! lol I'm def looking forward to getting rid of these thunder thighs I've got going on too! HAHA

KayNicole
05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Jennie I know how you feel! I am working up the courage to do a 5k walk at the end of the month but I don't know how I feel about doing it alone yet. It's the No Excuses 5K so the name alone has kept me from giving up on the idea all together. I had never heard of the c25k program but I looked it up a minute ago. I will have to really look into it. I started "running" back when I was about 20 lbs lighter but started having knee problems and quit out of fear of serious injury, or at least that is the excuse I let myself have. Nobody said my path would be pain free! ;) But after seeing this program I am starting to get interested again. I picked up a great book called The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training. That really got me moving. Best of luck to you and thanks for sparking my 5k run interests again!

Oh and I am in the same boat with being kind of new to an area and not having any of my old support crew. I am now in Ca from Michigan.

JennieLovesKisses
05-11-2010, 08:46 PM
KayNicole - Good luck with your own 5k walk! That sounds so great and I also love that name. I need to look into events like that here. If you do plan on getting back into running def keep me and everyone posted! It would for sure keep me going.

I haven't done my first day of C25k yet, I'm going to get ready in a few mins. My boyfriend rolled his ankle running to my house today...can you believe that?! He said he was fine and still wanted to run, but if he shows any signs of pain I'm going to tell him to stop.

JennieLovesKisses
05-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Okay so my boyfriend and I did it today!

lol we ended up going over the small hill on our road 3 times total, which wasn't bad but MAN what a workout! I just looked up the distance we walked/ran thats including the 5min brisk walk in the beginning (25mins total) and it came out to 1.5mi. I am both excited and scared of this program now, hahaha. I think I may want to drag out week one's schedule another week or so, just so I can get used to this. Overall I did enjoy it and I'm proud I was able to even do what I did.

oh and just to add...I'm already sore. O.o I'm never sore right after working out so thats a first! lol I seriously need to learn how to run correctly and get some running shoes.

KayNicole
05-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Congrats on surviving your first day!! Take care of yourself. Rest and ice as needed! :D One thing I had a hard time learning when I first started out is it's ok to granny shuffle. ;)

JennieLovesKisses
05-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I feel a bit better today, still a little sore...its my back thats sore. Is that normal? My legs don't hurt, my feet don't hurt. lol I didn't realize how much you use your abs while running...my abs are a bit sore too.

Veil
05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Jennie--YAY!! GREAT JOB!!

Back pain might mean you need new shoes. OR that you need to slow your pace and do the "granny shuffle" =) Listen to your body and keep going forward!!

JennieLovesKisses
05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Did it again today!

My back was fine before I started and now Its a bit sore again. I really do think I just need to get new shoes, its gonna have to wait till I get some money though. I'll try to take it easy on Saturday. Other than that I liked it, We got further this time, prob because we avoided the hills and stuck to the flatter ground. We got to almost 2 miles worth of walking and running in the 25mins.

Edited to just mention I am doing stretches before I run. Maybe I should take more time on that part of it.

Veil
05-14-2010, 02:25 PM
YAY & YES YES! Stretches are SO important before you go run. In fact, I hear we are supposed to even weight lift BEFORE we go out running... and I have found this very helpful. I feel better (warmed up, loose, more energy) if I do a 30DS video before my run. Keep it up!!

KayNicole
05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Yay! Great job and keep going! I found some podcasts for the c25k training and I think I am going to try it out today! Ahhhh!!! wish me luck. I am worried. :)
You will notice a big difference when you get new shoes. Try to go to a running store and have them watch you run a little and they will fit you for the best shoes.

JennieLovesKisses
05-14-2010, 04:19 PM
My back is still sore today! I spent some time to look up some reasons other than shoes thats could be the cause of this pain...turns out me being flat footed really doesn't help the situation. Even just the hills we did the first day could have done me in, because of the postural change. I do notice I have a bad form when running, I guess all stuff I'm just going to have to improve on. I'm thinking on starting over. Taking Saturday off of C25K and just doing a 2-3 mile walk instead, I can handle walking. Then Next week cut the first C25K week in half and work my way up. Hopefully I will have enough cash by then to buy myself some running shoes. I was just wearing my converse >.< I have so many issues with shoes because I am flat footed, the arch in shoes always give me serious pain so I'm definitely going to go to a running store and have them evaluate my running.

KayNicole
05-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah the converse will kill your feet. Being flat footed you are going to feel the pain. My husband is flat footed and is in the process of getting inserts, he also suffered from back pain as a result of his flat feet. You may want to look into that. I also got inserts about 6 months ago for bone spurs on my heel. I still have pain when I walk distances since my feet haven't quite reshaped themselves yet. :/ While the reshaping might be painful I figure the inserts will keep my feet consistently supported... and the arch pain isn't as bad as the bone spur pain was so overall I am happy with the inserts. lol :D Hopefully the store you go to will be a big help in looking for shoes!

JennieLovesKisses
05-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Thank you KayNicole.

I really didn't think about my feet being an issue before, when I ran in high school I got pain but never really in my back it was mainly in my arch and calf. I was a bit thinner then too though so I didn't have that extra weight to carry.

I did find a couple runner's stores near me that WILL watch how I run first and help me find the correct shoe to wear. I'm excited about going and getting fitted now but a bit bummed it's gonna have to wait.

I talked to my bf and he agree'd we would walk a few miles Saturday and then slow it down a bit for these next few weeks. Instead of doing C25K's first week of running 8x for 60seconds we will only run 4x, so cutting it in half. It was only on about the 6-7th run that my back actually starts acting up. maybe I can run (60sec) walk (3min) that way I'm still getting in at least 25-30mins worth.

Veil
05-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Jennie- good idea to make your own schedule. Listen to your body!

JennieLovesKisses
05-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Thank you Veil. I will, I didn't think my back would be such an issue, lol. I did end up doing my Pilate's Resistance band (back of the body) workout, and after that my back did feel quite a bit better. I then did a spur of the moment walk up the street with my boyfriend's sister who just moved back last night. We walked a little less than a mile maybe 20mins worth, slow walk since she was holding her baby. So I may have another workout partner! I skipped doing my 30DS today, i didn't want to risk anymore back problems with the weights. I do plan on doing my 30DS tomorrow though and get in that 2-3mile walk. I want to keep that cardio in there.

Veil
05-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Jennie- I just gotta say YOU are doing GREAT!! AND another workout buddy?? sweeeet!! I'm doing well, actually enjoying the Jillian video more (But why do I dread jumping jacks?? WTH? LOL!). Running is getting a lot easier. AND seeing weight drop. happy-happy! Sending you positive energy! --Audrey

JayLei
05-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi! I just found this thread today!
I started C25K last night. I went to the middle school near my house to use the track and listened to a podcast called Podcasts for Running that I found on iTunes. It does all the timing for me, with energizing music and I didn't feel alone at all. He gives just the right amount of encouragement, too.
I was really proud of myself for completing it all... I always talk myself out of my goals on the treadmill or elliptical while I am on them, so sticking through the whole 30 minutes was a huge booster for me!

I'm sore... and I have huge blisters cause my sneakers don't fit right, but I'll be back out tomorrow because I loved the results (1 pound down on the scale this morning!)

and I'm in Washington too... down near Tacoma.

KayNicole
05-17-2010, 06:33 PM
OK I never did get to my c25k workout over the weekend. :/ It was so nice outside and my husband actually wanted to walk with me so I made him walk 5ks with me both Saturday AND Sunday (and he never complained). :D Now I HAVE to get on the treadmill and try out this training!!! I am sure I am going to drag out the weeks a bit too.

Glad to hear you have a new possible workout buddy!

JennieLovesKisses
05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
JayMar - Thats awesome! Congrats on completing the 30mins. Hey your not too far from me, I'm in North Bend.

KayNicole - I walked on Saturday about 3 miles around our lake with my boyfriend. It was VERY beautiful weather here, and the walk was easy on my back.

Tomorrow in going to start C25K again, but I'm cutting the running time in half; instead of running for 60sec 8 times I'm going to run 60sec 4 times and walk 3mins instead of 90sec in between the runs. I may do this for a week or two.

Gold32
05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi there! I saw this thread when it started and looked up the C25K. It intrigued me, but I've always hated running so I didn't think I would try it. Then on one of my walks, I thought, "why not try it?" I did the first 60 second jog and was amazed that it didn't kill me. I made it through the whole first day. (!) I just did the first part of the second phase yesterday, making today a "rest and recover" day. I like those days...

So here are some thoughts I've been having (sorry, this is going to get long):

1) Those "off" days are important! I still walk on my off days, but I tried during the first phase to add in some short jogging and I paid for it. The next day, when I actually needed to do a full 60 seconds of jogging, it was MUCH harder than the first day had been. I learned my lesson. Don't push it.

On the other hand, I'm really glad I'm sticking with it and not whimping out or modifying the plan to be easier. I've thought about it, and if it ever gets to the point where I am extremely miserable or physically can not do it, then and only then will I modify.

2) Hills! Someone asked about hills. Man, I freaking hate hills! But guess what? I live in a city where you can't walk 10 feet without going up or down a hill. (Cincinnati, for the curious) So I deal with it. I try to time it so the biggest hill falls in my cooldown phase, cause I can walk almost anywhere/anything. My point: you really don't need to be overly concerned about the hills.

3) Shoes! For the love of whatever you believe in, make sure you talk to an expert about your feet! Ok, technically I didn't. But I used to work in a shoe store, and did plenty of research on my own. I bought shoes that work for my feet, and my wierd hip pain I used to have while walking (before the program, different shoes) has gone away. (For me, the issue was slight over-pronation. Have you ever looked in to that?)

4) Weight loss?!?! This is where I'm frustrated. Ever since I started the program, my weight loss has stalled. Diet is not an issue, and I increased water and protein intake. So, I'm assuming this is the traditional "when you first start pushing your body harder, weight loss will stall due to water weight in the growing muscles and, well, the muscles." Still, it annoys me.:halfempty

One last thing: stretching. You are not really supposed to stretch cold muscles or you could "snap" something. At least this is what I remember from HS. I'd aim to stretch after the 5 minute warm-up walk. (I haven't been stretching before, only a long stretch after, but I'm not having any sore muscles, so I'm going with it for now.)

OKAY! That was a bit long and rambling. But I am excited to share my thoughts with people going through the same program. Husband shows no interest in doing it with me, and I won't ask. Honestly, I think I do better on my own. He'd probably jog ahead of me, and then we'd have issues keeping track of time. Anyway, thanks for letting me get out some thoughts. He would listen, but as he's not doing the program, he wouldn't be able to contribute much other than nods...:yes:

KayNicole
05-18-2010, 11:37 AM
OK Jennie! Because of you sparking my interests again I completed my first c25k training! Ok well I did cheat a little. There was a weird guy on his computer in the work out room (small room) facing me when I started so I just went from a brisk walk to a serious power walk, almost running, with an incline. I figured he was waiting for a machine but he still creeped me out a little. But by the time I got to the last two intervals he got on his machine so I ran for those ones. :D

Also! Thanks to you I pushed past my mental block of walking into my workout room alone. I know it sounds silly but I had this block of going down there without my husband. Now if I could just get my butt out there in the morning!!! lol

Gold- congrats on your progress so far! My right ankle is a little tight today but maybe I will try your stretching suggestions and see if that helps tomorrow!

JennieLovesKisses
05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Thats awesome KayNicole! Haha yeah that IS just a bit creepy, I prob would have done the same. xD

Thank you Gold for sharing those thoughts and congrats on starting C25K!

Ut oh...looks like its going to rain today. Thats not gonna stop me though, I guess I'll just have to dress warm! haha

Gold32
05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Thankfully, I haven't had to run in the rain yet. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fun. If I wasn't worried about 1) slipping and 2) ruining my new running shoes. I know they dry out, but I'd worry that I ruined some integrity out of them or something.... So when the day comes that I must run in the rain, I might pick an old pair. Even though that is also a no-no.... *sigh* so many rules. It will all be worth it though!!!

Have fun and be safe in the rain!

JennieLovesKisses
05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Okay so I changed what I was going to do haha

5min brisk walk then 20mins of the following:
30sec run
2min walk

I figured this was a better way to keep my heart rate up, rather than running 1min 4times and having longer walks in between. This was so so SO much better on my back and it was still a good workout I think. LOL I managed to get my boyfriend out there running with me in the rain today. Hopefully its NOT raining Thursday but we'll see, ill be out there either way. I'm for sure going to stick to this routine for a couple weeks before I return back to the original C25K week one schedule.

KayNicole
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Well today is my day 2. I am not nearly as sore as I was yesterday. Yay! I am hoping to squeeze in my workout but I have dinner guests coming over tonight and I don't think my husband will get to the "honey do" list for me. If he does I will have more than enough time to fit in my workout but if not it will be a mad dash to get the cleaning done and dinner together let alone trying to fit in a workout. I will have to move my workout schedule around though. I do this dinner every week so I don't know what I was thinking when I set up the workouts. Oh well, no biggie.

KayNicole
05-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Yep the honey do list did not get done so I missed my workout yesterday but that's ok! I needed to move around my schedule anyway so that I wouldn't run into this conflict again (I do this dinner every Wednesday).

How are you doing?

JennieLovesKisses
05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Thats okay KayNicole, you can think of it as a rest day! haha thats what I do when I miss a workout.

I almost didn't going running today do to the bad weather. Boyfriend and I got ready and it started hailing which then turned to POURING rain...we had said we wouldn't run since we didn't want to get sick from it being freezing out so we went upstairs to watch a movie instead (I had gotten in a short pilates workout earlier in the day and figured I'd do a 30DS later), but after about 15mins of relaxing together the sun came out. We both laughed and said "lets do this before it decides to start snowing...lol" Crazy Washington weather! So we ended up getting the 25min in using the same schedule I used on Tuesday. Depending on the weather on Saturday I may just want to take another 3-4mile walk.

KayNicole
05-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Glad to hear you guys got to fit in your workout! I did my day 2 yesterday which I didn't run all of the intervals, I did half of them. I was dealing with some foot pain so I figured I would take it easy. I don't feel bad today though so I think I will be running all of them tomorrow. :carrot: I figure I won't move on to week two until I make it through all of week one without cheating! lol

Gold32
05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
W2D3 for me today! I'm a littler nervous, day 2 of week 2 was murder for me. Fortunately (or unfortunately?!), I'm not having back pains or ankle pains, so I have no excuse not to push through them. I'm really dreading next week, when 3 minutes of jogging is introduced!

I checked out c25k's forums and they their faq section was really helpful. People posting things like, "what do you do on an off day?" and "should I repeat a week if I struggled with it?" and "I've graduated, but it takes me 50 minutes to do a 5k." Just thought you other C25Kers would like to know that their forums are helpful, in case you haven't checked it out yet.

Veil
05-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Look at all the runners!! YAY!! Keep it up ladies!! =)

KayNicole
05-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Great info Gold!

How are you doing Jennie? I was out of town for a few days and didn't have my podcast or watch or anything so I ended up doing my own version of the training... good thing I plan on doing this week over again anyway!

Gold32
05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Look at all the runners!! YAY!! Keep it up ladies!! =)

Thanks! I don't know if you can call me a runner yet though. I'm more of a granny-shuffler. ;)

Ladies, all I can say is that this program is kicking my butt. But every time I've told myself "I don't know if I can make it through this next session" I do. It works. 3 weeks ago I struggled to do 60 seconds of jogging, now I can make it 3 minutes straight. Building stamina and strength is like watching the pounds/inches drop- slow, difficult, but SO WORTH IT! :yes:

BluCypressLily
05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I know what you mean about not having a workout partner--I started C25K too and it would be nice to have someone to run with. All of my friends are flaky though, so I guess it's for the best--the only thing worse than not having a workout partner when you want one is having one who is constantly late, doesn't want to try hard when they show up, or is a chronic cancel-er :)
I live in Seattle and have even tried group workout buddies on sites like Meetup, etc and even those folks are flaky, lol.

JennieLovesKisses
05-25-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm doing good! Today is my C25K day and I'm not sure if my boyfriend is going to join today, his ankle has been bothering him (back of his ankle has a raw spot lol poor guy). It also looks like it may rain but I'll be sure to bundle up!

JennieLovesKisses
05-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Did my C25K today WITH my boyfriend. His ankle is feeling a bit better now. I extended my run from 30sec to 40-45sec and haven't had any back pain so far. Maybe I'll just slowly up it like this until I can run that full minute without back issues popping up.

StuffedBunny
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I want to do this, but I have to do it on the treadmill but I always have trouble getting up to a jogging speed on the treadmill in the past. So I tried yesterday to get up to a jog at the gym and I did, for about a minute, then I was beat so I had to cut the cardio early but I did it. At about a 4.8 speed. So I think I'll start this when I get back home after my little vacation this weekend. Woo!

As I started to jog, my boyfriend who was on the treadmill next to me, just looked at me like I was nuts. haha

KayNicole
05-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Yay, glad to hear you are doing well with your training. I missed my work out yesterday and I had no good reason that I missed it so I am feeling guilty today and I will be walking home from work to make up a bit of my missed workout. Hopefully I can squeeze in a workout tonight but I wont hold my breath since it's dinner night with friends. But I am prepared for an extra hard workout on Thursday!!

KayNicole
05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I want to do this, but I have to do it on the treadmill but I always have trouble getting up to a jogging speed on the treadmill in the past. So I tried yesterday to get up to a jog at the gym and I did, for about a minute, then I was beat so I had to cut the cardio early but I did it. At about a 4.8 speed. So I think I'll start this when I get back home after my little vacation this weekend. Woo!

As I started to jog, my boyfriend who was on the treadmill next to me, just looked at me like I was nuts. haha

Hey bunny, I am also doing the treadmill thing. The one I use has the touch button to change the speed. I have the hardest time actually hitting the button when I am trying to slow down so I end up running a little longer than I would if I weren't on a treadmill so I guess that is the up side (kind of). ;) I have a hard time running for a minute too. By about the 3rd interval I feel like I might not make it the full 60 seconds but I do. :) I end up with a lot of foot, ankle and knee pains but I am starting to realize how quickly the pain recedes once I go back to walking. I also like that the treadmill keeps my pace up. I don't have to worry about slowing down. I have been keeping about a 4.6-4.9 pace. I don't want to over do it because I have before and I don't want to give up this time!

Gold32
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
. By about the 3rd interval I feel like I might not make it the full 60 seconds but I do. :) I end up with a lot of foot, ankle and knee pains but I am starting to realize how quickly the pain recedes once I go back to walking.

That's exactly how it is for me. I keep telling myself I'm not going to make it, but then I do. Some days are harder than others, but I always make it. THAT is a WONDERFUL feeling. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have failed at things related to physical ability, unable to do some sort of task that everyone else can. Story upon story....

Anyway, I have had a bit of knee/ankle/hip pain, but it is mild and passes quickly. I figure until it is more than just an occasional discomfort, I'll assume it's my body adjusting to a new way of moving. I hope the rest of you aren't experiencing any serious problems.

BluCypressLily
05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I did my first run in the rain yesterday. It wasn't too bad once I got out there. I live in Seattle, so I decided that rain couldn't be a reason for me not to run, otherwise I'd only ever run in the summer :)
I was worried about slipping too and definitely took it slower and was more careful than normal. But, all in all, it was a good experience. I do need to invest in a ballcap of some sort, though--I wore a hooded windbreaker, but the hood kept interfering with my vision. And, of course, I looked like a loon :)

Thankfully, I haven't had to run in the rain yet. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fun. If I wasn't worried about 1) slipping and 2) ruining my new running shoes. I know they dry out, but I'd worry that I ruined some integrity out of them or something.... So when the day comes that I must run in the rain, I might pick an old pair. Even though that is also a no-no.... *sigh* so many rules. It will all be worth it though!!!

Have fun and be safe in the rain!

BluCypressLily
05-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Lol, this made me laugh...welcome to spring in Washington! Just wait til it's sunny, hailing, raining AND snowing at the same time :)

Thats okay KayNicole, you can think of it as a rest day! haha thats what I do when I miss a workout.

I almost didn't going running today do to the bad weather. Boyfriend and I got ready and it started hailing which then turned to POURING rain...we had said we wouldn't run since we didn't want to get sick from it being freezing out so we went upstairs to watch a movie instead (I had gotten in a short pilates workout earlier in the day and figured I'd do a 30DS later), but after about 15mins of relaxing together the sun came out. We both laughed and said "lets do this before it decides to start snowing...lol" Crazy Washington weather! So we ended up getting the 25min in using the same schedule I used on Tuesday. Depending on the weather on Saturday I may just want to take another 3-4mile walk.

KayNicole
05-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I am falling behind! :( I know I already mentioned that I missed my Tue. workout and I had planned on walking home from work yesterday to kind of make up for it a little. Well my husband ended up calling me at work and said he would be picking me up. I need to quit letting him interfere with my weight loss plans! LOL Anyway I am up 3 lbs this morning! I hate those big jumps in one day in the wrong direction but it has really motivated me to do I big workout today! :carrot: Treadmill here I come!

Veil
06-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi everybody!!
I am back from vacation. I was able to run three times. Twice in the gym at the hotel... (very busy-- I felt people stare at me, I hate that!! But I kept going.) And then once with my cousin-- my super fit cousin!! She wanted to do a 2.75 trail and I was concerned... it even had hills, UGH!! But I kept up (intervals) until the last couple minutes. I HAD to walk. She tried to cheer me into running again but I just couldn't... I felt like a failure but after we talked about it I realized she has been running WAY longer than me (DUH!) so I needed to be gentle with my ego & body!!

How is everybody doing?? JennieLovesKisses- how's your body feeling- weren't you having back issues?

JennieLovesKisses
06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey! I'm doing good. I was doing 30min runs, 2 min walks...I just upped that last week to 40-45min runs, 2 min walks and my back is feeling just fine and I can tell my body is starting to get stronger. Today is suppose to be my C25K day, but I can tell I'm starting to get sick...everyone is here. So I'm trying to decide if I want to go outside yet or not.

Veil
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Jennie- YAY for feeling stronger!! Maybe up your vitamins if you are feeling icky? Keep up the great work!! I am happy for you!!

KayNicole
06-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Congrats on sticking with it while on vacation! I hate working out with fit people. I hate holding people back. I didn't have the greatest weekend. I did really well on Friday by walking home from work and doing my c25k training when I got home but Sat-Mon I was stuck inside with allergies so I did DVDs instead of my c25k training. I was being lazy. I had the worst allergy attack I have ever had but I still shouldn't have let it get in the way.

KayNicole
06-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey! I'm doing good. I was doing 30min runs, 2 min walks...I just upped that last week to 40-45min runs, 2 min walks and my back is feeling just fine and I can tell my body is starting to get stronger. Today is suppose to be my C25K day, but I can tell I'm starting to get sick...everyone is here. So I'm trying to decide if I want to go outside yet or not.

30 min runs!! Awesome. ;) Glad to hear you are hanging in there. I will be kicking off my June workouts with my c25k training tonight! Yay!

Veil
06-01-2010, 04:18 PM
OH MY KayNicole!! You weren't lazy!! You did DVDs-- so good job listening to your body and still getting in some exercise!! Rest is important too, so even if you did nothing on those days, that's OK too-- because we don't need injuries taking us down!

KayNicole
06-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Good point Veil. I guess I just feel lazy when I let things interfere with my planned workouts. :)

BluCypressLily
06-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Not lazy--it's called adjusting to circumstances :) Allergies are nothing to sneeze at (ok, ok, really bad joke, but it's true!) Good job on finding a solution that let you get your workout in, even if it wasn't the workout you wanted/intended to do.

Good point Veil. I guess I just feel lazy when I let things interfere with my planned workouts. :)

BluCypressLily
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Ok, I have to say this weather in the PNW has been a downer on my runs! We're set for a "January-like" storm to hit tonight and tomorrow. Uggh. It's June!!

I've been keeping up on my runs though and still feel good! I must admit to being a bit terrified about week 4 coming up, but I've already told myself that I will do what I can when I can...as long as I keep on doing it :)

KayNicole
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Yay for you at week 4!!! Another reason I feel so bad about missing these training runs is because I am so looking forward to moving on to week 2! lol I will get there.

JennieLovesKisses
06-01-2010, 06:07 PM
30 min runs!! Awesome. ;) Glad to hear you are hanging in there. I will be kicking off my June workouts with my c25k training tonight! Yay!

Oops...I didn't mean to say (MINUNTES) I meant to say seconds...so it totals out w/walks included a little over the 25minutes now that I upped the 30seconds to 40-45seconds.

Man...I'd die if I ran 30mins straight! LMAO Hopefully I can one day! xD

I just finished my 2nd month of 30 Day Shred yesterday. Today I did my first day of P90X and I can't believe I'm still breathing HAHA. It was a great workout though, I wish I could have started it Monday but finishing 30DS for the second time was huge for me. I'm excited for tomorrow! I'm still not sure if I'm going to get in C25K today...I might take a nice long walk or something though.

StuffedBunny
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Last night at the gym I was all ready to start doing this on the treadmill. I only got in 10 mins because my because my boyfriend was about ready to die after training arms.

Anyhow, when I was jogging with an incline of 1 and a speed of 4, it was kind of painful on my knees and feet. But when I had tried jogging on the treadmill last week with an incline of 1 and a speed of 4.8, I was fine as far as pain goes but super out of it after just one minute of jogging. I think going at a lower speed, I am coming down with more weight on my knees thus causing pain but if I go to fast to avoid pain I'll hardly last half the time. Any suggestions? Should I keep at a slower speed and work through the pain so I can go longer or up my speed and just aim to only do 15 mins instead of 30?

Gold32
06-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Ok, I have to say this weather in the PNW has been a downer on my runs! We're set for a "January-like" storm to hit tonight and tomorrow. Uggh. It's June!!

I've been keeping up on my runs though and still feel good! I must admit to being a bit terrified about week 4 coming up, but I've already told myself that I will do what I can when I can...as long as I keep on doing it :)

I'm in the middle of week 4, and it terrified me too! How on earth can I go from 3 minutes with 3 minute walking breaks to 5 minutes with a minute and a half walking break (essentially)? I don't know how, but I did. I actually think this week is easier than the first two weeks where you have so many repetitions to do. And though my legs feel like wobbly sticks of hardened jello, I know I could have done at least another minute or two if I had wanted to push it.

I read somewhere in my attempt to prep for it that week 4 is the "drop out week." I think, knowing that, geared me up for it. I told myself that I wouldn't push myself beyond any reasonable point (no blacking out for me!) and that at worse, I'd repeat the week. But so far, so good.

Trust the program. It works!

Gold32
06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Last night at the gym I was all ready to start doing this on the treadmill. I only got in 10 mins because my because my boyfriend was about ready to die after training arms.

Anyhow, when I was jogging with an incline of 1 and a speed of 4, it was kind of painful on my knees and feet. But when I had tried jogging on the treadmill last week with an incline of 1 and a speed of 4.8, I was fine as far as pain goes but super out of it after just one minute of jogging. I think going at a lower speed, I am coming down with more weight on my knees thus causing pain but if I go to fast to avoid pain I'll hardly last half the time. Any suggestions? Should I keep at a slower speed and work through the pain so I can go longer or up my speed and just aim to only do 15 mins instead of 30?

Sorry to say, the C25K experts have said repeatedly over at the boards that amount of time is WAY MORE important than speed. Until you "graduate" anyway.

That said, you should do what you are comfortable with. BUT, I was reading up on running injuries and common ones are often caused by jogging at an incline. It requires more force and pushes strain to the wrong things. If an incline of 1 means "no incline" then forget I said anything. But if it is, indeed, a very small incline, I would highly recommend stopping. Yes, it burns more calories, but that's not the main focus right?

Also, I was reading that most injuries can be permanently fixed by training and developing the core muscles. It was especially with knees, that when your abs and hips are weak, it somehow forces you to run differently. They discovered more success with treating knee problems when training people to stretch and tone their hip flexors and abs than with directly treating the knee.

Yeah, I know. Who really wants to push through a strength program when they're already doing a jogging program? But I did start doing some scizzor crunches and arm toning as something to do on my off days. I didn't know then that it would help with my running...

And of course, the wrong shoes for your feet and body can cause a gazillion problems, but I won't go in to that again...

Anyway, just some things to think about. It's all about figuring out what works for you. :)

BluCypressLily
06-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm glad you made it through week 4! Yes, I can see why they would call week 4 the dropout week--it's the first really big jump in the length of running segments...that's what scares me :) But I also know that I'm not completely wiped at the end of my running segments now, so I'm hoping I'll be able to make it. But, if all else fails, I've already told myself that quitting is not an option and if I have to do a repeater of week 3 that's fine by me.

I think the biggest challenge for me is mapping routes that aren't too hilly. I live in Seattle, so finding a level route just isn't going to happen unless I want to brave Greenlake which I don't want to do (it's generally overrun with runners, walkers, bikers and skaters). The problem is my neighborhood is comprised of STEEP hills, but I think I've got a route that works for now. I know that as I progress in the program, though, I'm going to have to come up with something else unless I want to just keep going up and down the same street :)

Which week are you on?

I'm in the middle of week 4, and it terrified me too! How on earth can I go from 3 minutes with 3 minute walking breaks to 5 minutes with a minute and a half walking break (essentially)? I don't know how, but I did. I actually think this week is easier than the first two weeks where you have so many repetitions to do. And though my legs feel like wobbly sticks of hardened jello, I know I could have done at least another minute or two if I had wanted to push it.

I read somewhere in my attempt to prep for it that week 4 is the "drop out week." I think, knowing that, geared me up for it. I told myself that I wouldn't push myself beyond any reasonable point (no blacking out for me!) and that at worse, I'd repeat the week. But so far, so good.

Trust the program. It works!

Gold32
06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I think the biggest challenge for me is mapping routes that aren't too hilly. I live in Seattle, so finding a level route just isn't going to happen unless I want to brave Greenlake which I don't want to do (it's generally overrun with runners, walkers, bikers and skaters). The problem is my neighborhood is comprised of STEEP hills, but I think I've got a route that works for now. I know that as I progress in the program, though, I'm going to have to come up with something else unless I want to just keep going up and down the same street :)

Which week are you on?

I'm still on week 4, I have one session left of that, then on to crazy week 5. Can you believe that by the end of week 5 you're doing a 20 minute run? Ack! :dizzy:

As far as hills go, I live in a hilly area too and I've discovered something that works for me. There is a church just down the street (quarter mile or so) whose parking lot is mostly flat. And usually empty. By the time I get to it, make sure I go the whole perimeter and some extra laps through the parking lanes, I'm usually pretty close to being done. Do you have anything like that nearby?

BluCypressLily
06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I know!! I can't decided if I'm more scared/excited/scared :) You'll have to let us know how it goes.

That's a great idea! I can go to the zoo! It's a low incline on the way there, but no more so than the route I've been running now and it's got a huge parking lot. I will have to try that out. Thanks!

I'm still on week 4, I have one session left of that, then on to crazy week 5. Can you believe that by the end of week 5 you're doing a 20 minute run? Ack! :dizzy:

As far as hills go, I live in a hilly area too and I've discovered something that works for me. There is a church just down the street (quarter mile or so) whose parking lot is mostly flat. And usually empty. By the time I get to it, make sure I go the whole perimeter and some extra laps through the parking lanes, I'm usually pretty close to being done. Do you have anything like that nearby?

KayNicole
06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
How is everyone doing? I am STILL one week one. lol I decided to do it just one more week so I can feel confident that my knees are ok to move on to week 2. Week one is getting pretty easy now. I start to get lost in the music and forget how long I had been running... I know it's only 60 seconds but usually I am watching the clock!

I hope you are all doing well!!

JennieLovesKisses
06-09-2010, 02:51 PM
I've kinda taken a break from it. I started p90x 2 weeks ago and I have been so sore, Ive been taking walks in C25K place though, so at I'm at least getting out there and moving.

JayLei
06-09-2010, 03:25 PM
KayNicole, I was worried about moving into week two and when I did, I was shocked to discover that it was actually easier than week one. There are fewer intervals, so to me, it seemed like less running. Try out week two, no one says you can't go back if you aren't able to finish it.

I'm only running once a week now, so I'm still on week three, but it's going well! My knees and ankles hurt like crazy at first, but they hurt much less and for shorter periods of time now!

I'm excited!

KayNicole
06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Jeanie, good luck with your p90x!

Jaymar, I may just do that! Thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday after my workout I almost wanted to try week 2 right after my cool down but figured I better not push myself. But really, if I have enough energy to feel like trying another full workout then why not move on to week 2 right? lol

Veil
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I have been doing a modified C25K... so today I did 6 minute runs! I felt like a superhero! I need to study my food diary and keep eating what I ate yesterday OR at least the same calorie count. (small victory!)

MORE IMPORTANT! I am so happy that everyone is listening to their bodies and doing what they need to do!! I hate when I get judged "Ohhh, she only walked today..." ERRRRRR!!! I am still a big girl and my knees need to be with me for awhile! How about you?? lol So YAY for us!!

Love to you all- Audrey

Gold32
06-09-2010, 10:55 PM
So, I just did week 5, day 2 today. 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog. I'll admit, it was the hardest day I've done so far. My legs did not like the last few minutes, but I pushed through and made it. Now I'm facing doing 20 minutes straight, but the blogs I was able to find are giving me courage that it won't be as bad as it seems.

While I agree with Veil about listening to your body, I also want to add that it is so rewarding to push yourself just a bit past your comfort level. Push past the fear, the self-doubt. Because when you discover that you CAN handle it, it feels amazing. Truly, I started this program thinking "we'll see how far I get." (Actually, I had no intention of starting it, but I had just started a walk and thought, well, lets see if I can do the first day.) Now, I know I can do it. It will be hard, I might not like it all the time, but I know that I can do it. That self-confidence is priceless, and I hope you all get there, too, if you're not already.

Of course, I recognize that health/injury concerns can be quite real. I'm not advocating running on genuinely bad knees or a bad back and hurting yourself. That would be self-defeating. It's a shame that such problems can get in the way.

I also wanted to add that I agree with JayMar- lesser running repetitions makes the time go faster. I actually think week 4 was my easiest week, because you only run 4 times, and none of them are too long. I mean, compared to 8, 10 and 20 min straight.

Sockerton
06-10-2010, 12:18 AM
So I started week. Today I did Week 1 Day 2. Not too bad. But I have a question. I was reading back in this thread about a FAQ on another site. I went to it and the page was not found.

It was a question about what do you do when you get to the end and can run a 5k, but it still takes you 50 minutes. Once you get to the end, is there a way to improve your speed? Cause I run slow. It doesn't say how fast you should run, just the amount of time (which is easier to measure). How fast should I be running? I'm afraid if I run too fast I won't be able to last the whole interval. But I'm afraid I am running too slow.

JayLei
06-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Hey Sockerton, I just googled "improve your 5K time" and it came up with a slew of results. I'd read through the results and see what fits into your fitness plan/goals.

I'm off to soak in some epsom now to try to erase the sore my trainer inflicted on me tonight doing interval training. (3 miles walking/sprinting, 150 mountain climbers, 150 crunches, 150 push ups, 150 heel presses, 150 squats). Crazy as it seems, the guy is still one of my fave people right now.

BluCypressLily
06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Glad to see everyone rocking their program! Me, I'm still plugging away. Right now, I'm repeating week 3--I definitely feel it in my shins now and am getting fitted for better quality running shoes on payday (sooo excited!). Hopefully better shoes will help the shin splints and I can tackle week 4 :)

Gold32
06-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Sockerton- I hear your concern! My pace is the granny shuffle. I mean, it counts as jogging, but barely. Trust me, it's enough! And since they stress endurance over speed, I'm not worrying about it yet. But like you, I'm looking down the road.

I'd say I haven't seen one set way to go about it. Some people begin the C25K over again, but with a faster pace. I don't know if I could do that, So I'm thinking of doing something where, for a given amount of time in the 30 min, I go faster. And slowly increase that amount.

If you find any specific programs, let me know! Looks like I may have to go Google "improve your 5K time."

KayNicole
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Sockerton- I also granny shuffle. I had started a running program before and ended up with knee problems right away and I think it might have been because of running faster (higher impact) so I don't even bother with speed anymore. I think in general the focus is put on the time rather than the speed because everyone is different. I have a friend who walks faster than she jogs but she jogs! lol I am sure you will find some great tips to increase your speed through the google searches but don't worry... you aren't the slowest runner out there. :)

KayNicole
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Veil- good job on the 6 minute run!

Gold- let us know how the 20 minute run goes! That still sounds so scary to me.

Well tonight I think I will be starting out week 2! woohoo!

Raichu
06-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I also do the granny shuffle... at 20! I have a weak ankle that I injured a few months ago and I've been repeating week one for two weeks now. But eventually we'll get there... so glad to know I'm not the only one doing the granny shuffle!

vesperpt
06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Wow, ladies! You all are so motivating!
Ive been thinking of doing the 30DS, and I think I may go for it! I found it online so I can view it from my laptop and I think I may start this week.
The C25K sounds really great too. I've struggled with trying to run for it seems like forever, but with a finicky knee I just kept giving up. This sounds like a great tool to use.

KayNicole
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Vespert- I had bad knee issues a few years ago when I was 20 lbs lighter but I have been doing this for a few weeks (all week one though) and I haven't had a single knee problem yet!!

Good luck with the 30DS!

KayNicole
06-10-2010, 11:37 PM
OK I did week 2 day 1 and it wasn't too bad. The 3rd interval was really hard but the rest seemed OK. Woohoo for week 2!

vesperpt
06-11-2010, 12:42 AM
KayNicole,
I really really hope it helps. I got run over by a car when I was about 11 and its never been the same since. Im hoping to maybe toughen it up. I'm pretty sure I just gave up too quickly and went too hard the first time. Pretty good way to scare yourself anyways!

Im curious though, I dont own a stopwatch or timer I can use running. Any tips on keeping track of your time another way?

Veil
06-11-2010, 10:14 AM
vesperpt- hmmmm, I think ya really need a watch that has a timer... because counting in your head might be REALLY tricky. I dunno, maybe you can! =) Look for a cheap watch at Goodwill or a used childrens clothes store? good luck!

KayNicole
06-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I use the podcast. Search C25K podcast (if you have an Ipod).

KayNicole
06-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh I meant to tell you gals (and guys) a little more about my first day of week 2. I started the workout with a lot of doubt. I accidentally skipped ahead to week 3 on my ipod shuffle and heard him say 3 min run which made me nervous. I searched around on my ipod until I found that I had in fact gone to the wrong week and 90 second runs sounded much better but that lingering doubt was still there. My shins started to hurt on the second interval and seemed it's worse on the 3rd interval. I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it through the rest but I did! I didn't have any muscle or knee pain, just the shins and the pain seemed to fade the more I ran. :carrot:

Looking forward to tomorrows workout!

vesperpt
06-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Well unfortunately I don't have an Iphone (been a Blackberry girl for a couple years now).
BUT I googled it, like I always do. I found downloads for mp3's for each week set to some pretty sweet music with good variety. Im about to download it onto my mp3 player and am debating going out for my first run... even though its 1030 at night.

It's never a better time to start than the present!

vesperpt
06-12-2010, 03:27 AM
Soooo I did go out for a run, but i didnt do the C25K. A girlfriend of mine who's excellent at running came out and helped me push myself at 3 min run, 1 min walk intervals, for a total of 3.36km! Im pretty proud of myself :)

KayNicole
06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Great job vespert!! That is close to the week 3 workout but more running! I just came in from my work out and again I accidentally skipped ahead to week 3 but this time I didn't notice until 12 minutes in when he said ok here is your 3 minute run. Crap! I didn't want to search around on my ipod again (I really need an ipod that actually shows you what track you are on) so I just stuck it out and did the week 3 workout. It didn't seem too bad. The last 3 minute run was a B but I made it! Now I am debating on if I want to do week 2 or 3 for my Monday workout. lol

vesperpt
06-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I looked it up and realized that I had skipped complete levels. Im considering just starting up at week 3 or 4. It seems silly to backpedal. Luckily she had a little timer "doo-dad" so it was great :)

Congrats on the skipping ahead. Sometimes it's benificial to confuse one thing for another. A girlfriend of mine tried to do her first 5k with her sister and decided to give up at the 2.5 mark. Her sister told her that at the halfway point they would turn around, so she ran and ran and ran until she saw the finish line because it was a loop instead!

I guess it just goes to show how much we underestimate ourselves sometimes.

Veil
06-14-2010, 12:51 PM
YAY vesperpt for pushing yourself!

vesperpt
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Well, on Saturday I was sooooooo sore by late evening, and by Sunday it slowed to a dull ache. I decided to keep determined and went running, doing a week 3 podcast.

Im curious though, if my goal is to run every 2nd day, should I just continue on to week 4 after my 3rd run at week 3? I've noticed a lot of gals on the forums doing the program 3 days a week.

Veil
06-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Vesperpt- I say, do what feels comfortable to you, and then a little past it... What's your instinct say? Listen to your body. =)

KayNicole
06-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I agree with Veil, see how you feel about it and decide what's best for your body. If you feel like you can push yourself then go for it!

I was INSANELY sore after my first week 3 run on Saturday and then I slept funny that night and woke up with a kink in my neck on Sunday. I think it also has to do with TOM. :( But I pushed through it and went ahead and continued with week 3. That last 3 minute run is still killer for me though. Feeling pretty good right now but hopefully I wont be as sore as I was last time. :)

Sockerton
06-15-2010, 12:28 AM
When I first started, my legs HURT for 2 days afterwards. I thought to myself how am I going to be able to do this everyday. Well, I found the problem. I went out, did my C25K + 35 minutes and after that stopped at the store.

I was going through my old college textbooks (exercise physiology) and read that you should eat within 45 minutes after you finish your workout. You need to eat protein to help the muscles repair. I have been doing it ever since and I have not been sore one single time since then. Seriously, eat something with protien right after your run and you'll see a big difference.

KayNicole
06-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that. I am just a little sore today, not bad though.

BluCypressLily
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm so excited--going to get my gait analyzed at the running store after work today!!

KayNicole
06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Very cool! Do they just watch you or do they actually use equipment?

JennieLovesKisses
06-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I think next week I want to get back into C25K. I have been walking in its place since starting p90x.

vesperpt
06-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm so excited--going to get my gait analyzed at the running store after work today!!

That sounds really neat! What exactly are the benefits to having it measured? I've never heard of that. :)

Im debating doing my 3rd run of week 3 this evening, but I wasnt feeling too good earlier today. Worth it at all?

KayNicole
06-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Vespert- Every time I don't want to run I just say to myself I know I will make it. I have yet to not make it through a run and every time I feel so much better for actually doing it. With that said though, if you really aren't feeling well you may want to take it easy with just a walk or something. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Jennie- Yay for C25K. If it weren't for you I wouldn't be on week 3 and no knee pain as of yet!!!

JennieLovesKisses
06-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Aww well I'm glad! I really did enjoy it, I didn't realize how sore I was going to get after starting p90x haha but I'm feeling so much better now! I can't wait to start it again!

Gold32
06-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Every time I don't want to run I just say to myself I know I will make it. I have yet to not make it through a run and every time I feel so much better for actually doing it.

Jennie- Yay for C25K. If it weren't for you I wouldn't be on week 3 and no knee pain as of yet!!!

Ah! You sound just like me! How wonderful does it feel when you made it through a day you either didn't want to do, or didn't think you could? It's amazing! Which brings me to the second part- Jennie, thank you a hundred times over for introducing this to us. I only wish I had started sooner, to "graduate" before the heat of July hits! I'm a heat weenie... :lol:

So it seems a little odd, after the above comments, to say that I'm losing steam. This program is HARD and it feels really good to have gotten this far. But it feels like it's getting harder, and I'm losing motivation to push through it. A lot of that IS the heat. (See, I told you I was a heat weenie.) I've considered the alternatives... like running inside my house, buying a treadmill, joining a gym, getting up before the sun.... but they all have problems.

So I'm going to keep going. Like I've done every week, I'll push on. But I just have a feeling, I won't be finishing. :no:

BluCypressLily
06-16-2010, 11:21 AM
It was WAY cool. First, they measured my feet. Then I stood on this imaging pad that mapped my arches and pressure points. THEN I ran on the treadmill for 60 seconds and they RECORDED my gait.

Then I got to watch it :)

It was the neatest thing, a perfect rear-view of my footsies from about mid-calf down trotting along. I was nervous--I had never run on a treadmill before, but it went pretty well.

I found out that I actually have pretty good form, so that was exciting. The best thing is that they have a membership program with a ton of cool benefits--for $20 a year, I get 10% off all my purchases, plus I received an additional $10 off coupon for my next purchase. Plus, the sales guy went ahead and gave me an additional $10 off this purchase...so essentially I got the membership for free. But the best thing is that I have 60 days to try out my shoes and I can exchange them no questions asked if they don't work out. That peace of mind alone was well worth the 20 bucks!

Very cool! Do they just watch you or do they actually use equipment?

BluCypressLily
06-16-2010, 11:28 AM
VERY worth it (see post above).

The biggest benefit is that not all shoes fit all people. Lol, that sounded weird. What I mean is that some shoes are designed specifically to suit a certain running style, a certain foot type, etc. For example, I have high arches...a shoe that feels like heaven to me wouldn't be suitable for someone with flat feet.

Plus, it was a free service :)

They told me that I have pretty good form (that was exciting to me!) and that my toes turn inward ever so slightly when I push off, so that would be a small correction that I might want to make.

It was a very positive experience!

That sounds really neat! What exactly are the benefits to having it measured? I've never heard of that. :)

Im debating doing my 3rd run of week 3 this evening, but I wasnt feeling too good earlier today. Worth it at all?

KayNicole
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Aw, Gold. What week are you on again? I have to say that I don't know if I could make it through the heat of the summer either. I mean it gets to be well over 100 out here but no humidity and that mid-west humidity you get out there is HORRIBLE. I grew up in MI and I don't think I will ever forget just how miserable I was on humid days. I have been using a treadmill because I know I will be a dork when the weather isn't perfect and talk myself out of my run. I also kind of like the treadmill since it keeps my pace for me. Good luck and I hope you don't give up but if you do I hope you find something less affected by weather to replace it. :)

KayNicole
06-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Very cool BluCypressLily! Thanks for reporting back to us. I have always wanted to have that done but haven't found a place that does it yet. Good job on having nice form!! :D

vesperpt
06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
KayNicole, I didn't end up going for a run last night. I was still feeling gross and nauseated off and on - so I went on a practice drive for my driving test (which is tomorrow, eeek!).
I AM going to go out right away here for my W3D3 run. Im excited and a bit anxious for week 4. How's your program coming along?

BluCypressLily,
That sounds so neat! I wonder if there are any stores up here in Canada that will do it. (I guess probably, I'll just have to search it out).
How do you find running in Seattle? Are you in a less hill-y area? I remember last time I was there all I remember were stairs and hills, stairs and hills. Yeesh. Although now that I think about it Im a little jealous because there are no places with lots of stairs. I used to live on Vancouver Island and my university was built into a mountain. My legs were AWESOME.

Everyone sounds like they're doing so well :D Gold, I promise it will get better. Maybe repeat a week to help build your endurance before moving up? It might help. Keep up the good work everyone!

KayNicole
06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Vespert- Good luck on your driving test! I completed week 3 today. I am nervous about week 4 too. The 3 min runs were still kind of tough but I am going to go for it and see how it goes. I will report back on Friday!

vesperpt
06-17-2010, 01:04 AM
I just went out and did my last week 3 run today. Looks like we're going along at the same pace!

I think I made an oopsie though...My boyfriend made me take the dog with me. "It'll be good for her," he said, "Won't be an issue at all".
YEAH RIGHT. I have a border collie/siberian husky. But she only has one eye. Which means she weaves back and forth. Not to mention stopping MID-run, cutting me off, and generally just making me fall all over myself.

Im feeling soooo sore now and it's only been about 40 min since my run. My calves hurt so much! Im not sure if it was the change of bringing my dog with me or if it was just the run.
At any rate, we'll see how Im feeling tomorrow, and depending on how I feel I'll attempt week 4. If not so hot, see you Friday!

KayNicole
06-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Well I just woke up and I am trying to prep myself for my first week 4 run. :halfempty I did a pretty good workout on the elliptical and treadmill (walking) last night so I am hoping I wont be too sore from that but I think I will be ok. I am very interested to see if I am going to be able to make it through the 5 minute runs! I will report back in a few hours!

KayNicole
06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
OK I made it through the first 3 intervals but in the last 5 min run I ended up running 3 mins walked for 30 sec and ran the last 90 seconds. I know I could have made it if the cool down before the last 5 min run was just a little longer. I have a good feeling I will make it the next time (I hope!). :D

BluCypressLily
06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I'd check out a specialty running store if you have one in your area. Hope you can find something--it was a great experience for me. And I love my shoes--no shin splints!!

As for hills...sigh...no, I live in a very hilly area. There's a mile-long stretch to the east of my house that I've been using. It's an incline (no place is truly flat around me), but it's definitely preferable to the STEEP hills to the west, north and south of me! The only problem is that I know I'll need to find a different route as I progress in the program--I don't want to be trucking up and down the same street all the time! I think if I meander a bit, I could probably avoid some of the steeper sections...but I'll have to try and so far I've been scared, lol.

And, yeah, the hills and stairs are GREAT for the legs...I just don't want to run up them!!

BluCypressLily,
That sounds so neat! I wonder if there are any stores up here in Canada that will do it. (I guess probably, I'll just have to search it out).
How do you find running in Seattle? Are you in a less hill-y area? I remember last time I was there all I remember were stairs and hills, stairs and hills. Yeesh. Although now that I think about it Im a little jealous because there are no places with lots of stairs. I used to live on Vancouver Island and my university was built into a mountain. My legs were AWESOME.

Everyone sounds like they're doing so well :D Gold, I promise it will get better. Maybe repeat a week to help build your endurance before moving up? It might help. Keep up the good work everyone!

BluCypressLily
06-18-2010, 01:40 PM
That is AWESOME!!

OK I made it through the first 3 intervals but in the last 5 min run I ended up running 3 mins walked for 30 sec and ran the last 90 seconds. I know I could have made it if the cool down before the last 5 min run was just a little longer. I have a good feeling I will make it the next time (I hope!). :D

KayNicole
06-19-2010, 01:14 AM
Thanks Blu!

KayNicole
06-20-2010, 11:56 AM
How is everyone doing? Today is D2W4 for me. Ahhh, those 5 min runs are still so scary. ;) I am hoping today will go well. I skipped my 30DS workout yesterday, not on purpose, so I am thinking I wont be nearly as sore today. I will report back but I wanted to see how you all were doing.

vesperpt
06-20-2010, 05:18 PM
As for hills...sigh...no, I live in a very hilly area. There's a mile-long stretch to the east of my house that I've been using. It's an incline (no place is truly flat around me), but it's definitely preferable to the STEEP hills to the west, north and south of me! The only problem is that I know I'll need to find a different route as I progress in the program--I don't want to be trucking up and down the same street all the time! I think if I meander a bit, I could probably avoid some of the steeper sections...but I'll have to try and so far I've been scared, lol.

I definitely know what you mean! It was so weird moving to the prairies and not having much as far as trees and hills go. Sometimes it would be nice to have some shade though.

I haven't made it to a running store yet, but I did buy the COOLEST running shoes this week, and theyre really comfy. I went to do my w4d1 run the other day and the podcast had no audio. So I re-downloaded one today and might give it a shot tonight.

Here are my shoes! They're asics!

Gold32
06-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Aw, Gold. What week are you on again? I have to say that I don't know if I could make it through the heat of the summer either. I mean it gets to be well over 100 out here but no humidity and that mid-west humidity you get out there is HORRIBLE. I grew up in MI and I don't think I will ever forget just how miserable I was on humid days. I have been using a treadmill because I know I will be a dork when the weather isn't perfect and talk myself out of my run. I also kind of like the treadmill since it keeps my pace for me. Good luck and I hope you don't give up but if you do I hope you find something less affected by weather to replace it. :)

Thanks for understanding! Yes, our humidity is awful! I have relatives in Albuquerque and I am so jealous of how much cooler their summer feels. So I'm now in week 7- 25 minutes straight. The first time I did 25 min, I swore I was going to have to stop early. But I didn't, I made it the whole way. And that really does feel great, so I don't really want to quit. This week will be the big test. 96 on Wednesday? High humidity? I don't know if even at 3am it would be cool enough!

And you- happy to see you're going strong as well. All I can say is that every new step-up looks scary at first, but you'll always make it, or close. I remember being terrified by the 5 minutes. Now, 5 minutes is like a drop in my running bucket. This program really is fantastic. I wish I had had this in high school...

Happy running every one! Keep cool!

Gold32
06-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Vesperpt- those are some wicked shoes! Asics are a good brand, hope they work well for you.

BluCypressLily
06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Wicked cool shoes! Asics are a good brand (I went with Asics too).

Ooo, the no audio thing would be frustrating. I've been using podcasts from dj beatsmith and I like them so far. I also bought volumes 1-5 of Cardio Coach last week (they're guided audio tracks for interval training) that I'm planning to use after I finish C25K. They're 40-60 minutes long, so I think it'll be a good progression for me. Plus, I love the music they use (it has more of a beat-driven zen feel to it) and the "coach" has an uber sexy voice :D

I definitely know what you mean! It was so weird moving to the prairies and not having much as far as trees and hills go. Sometimes it would be nice to have some shade though.

I haven't made it to a running store yet, but I did buy the COOLEST running shoes this week, and theyre really comfy. I went to do my w4d1 run the other day and the podcast had no audio. So I re-downloaded one today and might give it a shot tonight.

Here are my shoes! They're asics!

KayNicole
06-21-2010, 02:09 PM
carlyjordon2002- I hope your first day went well! keep us posted.

vesperpt- Super cool shoes!

Gold- Week 7 is amazing! I can't even imagine it yet. :) Good luck and let us know how the humidity ends up!

Well I missed my W4D2 run last night. I am super bummed that our club house equipment was ALL not working! There were wet dirty bare footprints on the treadmills like kids had jumped on them after the pool. I really hope they didn't break everything. But nothing was working although everything was plugged in. I even looked for on off switches but nothing. I really don't want to hit the pavement but I might have to. Fingers crossed it's all fixed today but if not... I will be out on the streets. :)

vesperpt
06-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Ooo, the no audio thing would be frustrating. I've been using podcasts from dj beatsmith and I like them so far. I also bought volumes 1-5 of Cardio Coach last week (they're guided audio tracks for interval training) that I'm planning to use after I finish C25K. They're 40-60 minutes long, so I think it'll be a good progression for me. Plus, I love the music they use (it has more of a beat-driven zen feel to it) and the "coach" has an uber sexy voice

It had audio I guess, but it didnt have the part where it tells you when to run and when to walk :S
I looked at the site (I've been using hiphop mp3 podcasts from kissmyblacka$$.com. Im sure you can insert the appropriate letters there). I looked it up on the website and apparently she had programmed that week to have the song change every time it was a walk or a run meant to begin. I'll test it out this week.

I feel really embarressed to admit I havent started w4 yet :( I really need to get on that.

BluCypressLily
06-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh, I gotcha--thought you meant the mp3 wouldn't play! Knowing that the song change is your cue should make it easier. Mine uses a doorbell sound...I swear I now know how Pavlov's dogs felt.

I should be on week 4 by now too, but I was getting shin splints on week 3 so I went back down to week 2. Now that I have my super cushy running shoes, I'm doing one more repeat of week 2 then onto week 3 and (gulp) week 4.

I'm not beating myself up over it though and neither should you--the way I figure it, I started this program because A) I needed another form of cardio besides kickboxing and B) I hated running but really wanted to love it. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting the cardio AND I'm enjoying running, so it's all good. If it takes me longer to complete the program, I don't care because I'm still out there running. And, for me, that's the important thing!

It had audio I guess, but it didnt have the part where it tells you when to run and when to walk :S
I looked at the site (I've been using hiphop mp3 podcasts from kissmyblacka$$.com. Im sure you can insert the appropriate letters there). I looked it up on the website and apparently she had programmed that week to have the song change every time it was a walk or a run meant to begin. I'll test it out this week.

I feel really embarressed to admit I havent started w4 yet :( I really need to get on that.

Gold32
06-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm not beating myself up over it though and neither should you--the way I figure it, I started this program because A) I needed another form of cardio besides kickboxing and B) I hated running but really wanted to love it. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting the cardio AND I'm enjoying running, so it's all good. If it takes me longer to complete the program, I don't care because I'm still out there running. And, for me, that's the important thing!

You know, I could definitely stand to do a better job in understanding this. Why am I racing to complete the program when I'm going to keep running anyway? Especially now that I'm at straight running.

Ah, because it's a point of pride now, that I have yet to skip or modify a single day. Stupid pride, stop over-ruling logic.

lil ol me
06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I found a site where you can enter a weight loss contest. All you have to do is video document your progress and send it in. the grand prize is $2000 ~Talk about motivation:)~ The site is thenewyou.yolasite.com

KayNicole
06-22-2010, 02:53 PM

Don't feel too bad. It is kicking my butt and I am pretty sure I will be repeating it.

My husband figured out the problem in our workout room, a fuse blew, and he fixed it. I didn't want to wait for the maintenance guys to come out and scratch their heads for 10 minutes. :) So I did my W4D2 run last night. and AGAIN, I didn't make it through the last run without a short walk around the 3 minute mark. That last cool down is just not long enough. lol I can't wait to make it through that last 5 minute run!! Ugh so much work ahead of me to get to the 20 min runs! ahhhh!

Gold32
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
KayNicole- I don't know if this helps or hurts, but there's only one 20 min run. The next week you go back to some walking in between for two days. It caught me off guard. And you think it'll be easy after the 20 min run... it's not. But you'll get there. :)

My advice for everyone would be to not look too far down the road. Focus on getting through the day that you are on and trust that when it comes time to do *that crazy day* you will be ready for it. And you will be! :yes:

KayNicole
06-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Darn it! I didn't realize I was going to run 20 mins in week 5! Oh no ;) Wow, well like you said I haven't been focusing much on the future runs. I am kind of funny when it comes to self doubt. Sometimes I start my runs thinking there is no way I will make it but we will see. Then about halfway through my run I start thinking I can do this, I am just going to push myself. Then about 3/4 of the way through I know I can make it just a little longer! I have also noticed that the longer I run the slower I go. I wonder if by the end of my 20 min run I will be running in place! :o at least I would make it through it. ;) BUT I am not going to think about it! Right now the only thing on my mind is making it through that last 5 minute run in W4. lol

vesperpt
06-22-2010, 08:06 PM

BluCypressLily, that's a really good way of putting it. I guess because it's a weekly thing I've been feeling (unintentionally) like if I don't do it in adequate time then I'm "messing up". I really have to work on that.
I'm also a little concerned that if I space too far between my runs that it'll put me back a little bit.

KayNicole - Glad to hear that your workout room is fixed all back up! My gym that I go to isn't close to my house at all, and sometimes it's not fair to ask my boyfriend to drop me off. I can't wait until I can get there a little easier. Maybe repeating week 4 would be a good idea. From the sounds of it I might have to as well.

KayNicole
06-23-2010, 01:10 PM
I am feeling pretty good about repeating W4. I just don't think I am ready if I haven't made it through that last run yet. Today is my W4D3 run but I am not sure if I will be able to fit it in. I am working late today and we are expecting company for dinner. The dinner might get canceled in which case I will totally fit in my run. Hopefully it works out. :crossed:

Update: Dinner is on but I convinced my husband to make my pasta salad for me so I will have time to workout. I think this is the second time I have gotten him to cook this year!!

KayNicole
06-24-2010, 01:15 AM
I freaking made it through the last 5 minute run!! I was really conscious of my breathing in that super short walk before the last run and I slowed it down a little bit. I am going to count this as my W4D1 workout and keep at it. I have to admit I found myself smiling at the 4 min 45 sec mark of that last run. :D

Gold32
06-24-2010, 09:32 AM
I freaking made it through the last 5 minute run!! I was really conscious of my breathing in that super short walk before the last run and I slowed it down a little bit. I am going to count this as my W4D1 workout and keep at it. I have to admit I found myself smiling at the 4 min 45 sec mark of that last run. :D

:woohoo:

And I made it through the horrible humidity and heat! Another 25 minutes down!

:woohoo:

I stopped frequently at the water fountains, but only long enough to hit the pedal, guzzle, and be on my way again. I did an extra minute to make up for it. I gotta tell you, it was HARD. Though I feel fantastic when I complete a session, I'm still not having fun. I'm not "addicted" yet. When does that happen?!

BluCypressLily
06-24-2010, 11:16 AM
The bolded part I definitely agree with. I try to get my run on 3 times a week regardless of whether I complete that week's particular program. At the same time, I also realize that life happens and sometimes it isn't possible to make it 3 times a week and I might have to settle for 2 times. Basically, I try to push myself to do what I need to do to be able to mark off a goal on my Big Board of Goals (yes, I have one, hee hee), but if it takes longer or I'm not able to do it right away I refuse to be negative with myself about it.

Also, it's not high school gym class--we're not gonna be graded on it :)

BluCypressLily, that's a really good way of putting it. I guess because it's a weekly thing I've been feeling (unintentionally) like if I don't do it in adequate time then I'm "messing up". I really have to work on that.
I'm also a little concerned that if I space too far between my runs that it'll put me back a little bit.

KayNicole - Glad to hear that your workout room is fixed all back up! My gym that I go to isn't close to my house at all, and sometimes it's not fair to ask my boyfriend to drop me off. I can't wait until I can get there a little easier. Maybe repeating week 4 would be a good idea. From the sounds of it I might have to as well.

BluCypressLily
06-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Woo hoo KayNicole and Gold32!!

KayNicole
06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks ladies!

Gold- I was talking last night with my husband and our guest about the "runners high" and how none of us have ever felt it before. My uncle was a long distance running coach and ran for years. Maybe I should ask him when that addiction sets in. :) You know, now that I think of it. Most of why I have shied away from running is because I used to go to his meets and see all these kids collapsing or vomiting at the finish line. All I could think is why would ANYONE ever want to do that to their bodies. lol

KayNicole
06-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Kaynicole for replying to my post

I just finished week 1 and I'm looking forward to starting week 2 on Sunday. I am really happy that I started walking a couple of weeks before starting this program. I have been using the treadmill instead of going outside, I love walking outside but I would hate to have to look at my watch every couple of seconds. I run wearing my VFFs (vibram five fingers) and I also purchased a enell sports bra and it helps me run without all the bouncing lol

Ooooooo how do you like the vibrams!? I always wanted to try them. Good running accessories really makes a difference. I need to pick up some good shorts and tops.

Congrats on making it through week 1!

BluCypressLily
06-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Ooo, I've been eyeballing the vibrams too. When I went to the running store to have my gait tested, they had me run barefoot on the treadmill. I've always been afraid of running on the treadmill before, but it felt great barefoot! I've been debating getting vibrams for the dark, rainy fall and winter months when I'll be forced to run at the gym. Glad to hear they're working for you!

Yeah, cotton tends to chafe on me too. I stick with spandex and nylon down below :)

Speaking of shorts and tops, my cotton running tights that I wear finally gave out today after I finished running. Unfortunately my thighs rub and those cotton tights pants only tend to last a couple of weeks before they start to seperate in the middle thigh area. I love the vibrams I wish I would of gotten a bigger size though and I can't walk long distance in them or else my feet start to hurt. If I'm on the treadmill or doing yard work I love wearing them but if I plan on walking for 3 or more miles I just wear my crappy 3 year old running shoes lol. Also my foot pain from wearing tennis shoes all the time is gone now that I started training in VFFs, but when I wear my shoes I make sure to take them off as soon as I get in the house. I love being bare foots. I need to purchase some good running pants that keeps the friction from happening between my legs.

KayNicole
06-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Gold- OK I talked to my uncle and in his opinion you start to feel the "runner's high" or addiction to running when you can run about 30 minutes easily. You are so close! Even if 25 minutes is HARD you are still so close!

vesperpt
06-25-2010, 12:09 PM
oooh, Im glad to hear the running high will set in. Every now and then I feel a little twinge of it.. I think. Kindof like the days I havent ran I really am in the mood to do it. Maybe Im just crazy :P

I completed W4D1 on Wednesday evening, Im going to try and do D2 this evening. I went with a friend of mine (who is frequently at the gym), and it felt soooo good that I kicked his butt running. Apparently he doesn't do a lot of cardio. I left the gym feeling so refreshed! We'll see how D2 goes. :)

And call me silly, but what the heck are vibrams?

KayNicole
06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I bet you are right that you are starting to feel it even now. I know my uncle used to just be in a bad mood if he didn't get his run in. Like not having your coffee! lol

Oh and vibrams are foot gloves almost. lol
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy313/guerillaChesko/Vibram_FiveFingers_KSO.jpg

Gold32
06-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for asking your uncle that KayNicole! Hopefully it will set in soon then. Some times, when I'm done running and all I can think about is passing out on the floor and not moving EVER again, I feel a very strange peace and contentment. Maybe that's the "high" trying to get through? I guess I'll find out! On to my last day of 25 min...

KayNicole
06-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Gold- Anytime. I know he was happy to talk about it. He hasn't been running for decades and I know he hasn't talked running in a very long time too. It was a huge part of his life which I am sure he misses from time to time.

BluCypressLily
06-25-2010, 02:56 PM
You might also try bodyglide for the chaffing! I haven't had a problem with chaffing yet, but I hear it works pretty well.

My biggest challenge has been my shins :( My new shoes feel great, but now I have more pain on my right shin. It started when I went hiking the other day, so I'm hoping it was just from pushing too hard on the switchbacks. For now I'm having to rest it though and do low-impact exercise.

I found some spandex in my closet they are a little small but I'm sure they will hold up better then the cotton did. My inner thigh was a little raw from where my thighs were rubbing while running. The VFFs feel really good mine aren't water proof, and unfortunately all they had was the ugly green ones in my size. I wish I could of found the black ones which would be less obvious but oh well. But definitely if you plan on running in doors they are great to wear. If I wear regular shoes on my home treadmill it will make so much noise and be very loud, so to make me lighter on my feet I just run barefoot or with VFFs.

Well today is a day where I do whatever I want fitness wise, I plan on jogging on the treadmill off and on and then tomorrow will be a rest day and then sunday will be the beginning of week 2 day 1 C25K.

KayNicole
06-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Blu- I have a history of shin issues too and I was given a muscle strengthening exercise to help. I stand in place or kind of move forward but you step with your toes pointed in and then pointed out. so.. in, in, out, out, in, in... etc. It seems to help me. Just last night I started noticing my shins hurting for the first time since I started C25K which is AMAZING! Usually I have problems right away.

KayNicole
06-25-2010, 11:17 PM
W4D2 done! That last 5 min run was not nearly as bad this time. Funny you guys mention chaffing today and I have my first chaffing episode today. I guess I should probably pick up some shorts soon! My knee is starting to hurt but it isn't the same problem I had before so I hoping it is just a little stress pain. I iced it. I am also starting to have a bit of shin soreness but not too bad. I am going to do my shin exercises and hopefully all will be fine. Although I realized the other day that I haven't exactly been doing 3 days a week but rather every other day. Maybe I need an extra rest day.

Well I didn't make that soup tonight. :( I needed black beans and tomatoes but I forgot my husband is working tonight and has the car so I ended up looking for a recipe with things I had around the house. I made a lentil chili. It was REALLY good and I ate too much. At least it was healthy and low cal. :)

Veil
06-25-2010, 11:22 PM
JennieLovesKisses- Guess what?? After doing the C25K (modified for my knee) for 10 weeks... I am now... drum roll... RUNNING 24 minutes STRAIGHT!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! How are you girl? =)

Hi everybody, I hope you all are well & enjoying your runs!!

vesperpt
06-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Ooh, those vibrams look NEATO! What does a pair like that run for nowadays? Im loving my new asics (even more so since I put my insoles in) but it would be nice for treadmill running.

I had a little bit of a problem with shin splints, but I started doing this great stretch for them and they have all but gone away. Pretty much perch the balls of your feet on a stair, and holding onto something so you dont fall, lower your heel down the stair one at a time. It feels SOOOOO good.

My recent issue has been my calves feeling so tight after a workout it's almost unbearable. Does anyone have a suggestion for calves?

KayNicole
06-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Vespert- They are affordable. Less than my last running shoes cost me! lol There are a few styles so they range in price but I have seen them between about $65-$85. I thought about getting them but decided my feet are probably just a little too weak for the barefoot concept right now. I recently had to get inserts due to bone spur problems. In fact. My bone spur was caused from my calf muscles and tendons being so tight so I feel your pain there. One of my favorite stretches is seated on the floor with a resistance band or towel hooked around the ball of your foot. I usually do one foot at a time and sit with my back tall and straight for a bit and then I relax into the stretch more. So nice. Down dog yoga position is good too. Double down dog is even better, if you have a partner. Also this one too...
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u4/SUEBEE456/OARS/ex64.gif

KayNicole
06-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Congrats Veil!!! That is so amazing. I still have a ways to go but hope to be there before too long.

Gold32
06-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Sad to hear about the physical injuries/problems everyone is having! I'd mention proper stretching and shoes, etc, but unfortunately, I have also personally experienced how that doesn't always help. Luckily, my pains are only when I'm running, usually towards the very end, and never last once I switch back to walking. It is definitely a deep concern, because it doesn't take much for a little problem to become a big one.

Anyway, I finished my last 25min run! :carrot: It was definitely easier. I think part of that was because it was my 4th day of it, but also because I took a different plan with my route. I headed out from home and didn't turn around until I was half way in time. Previously, I've been doing a short street here and there, a quick path around the park, etc, and it makes time feel like it's going soooo slow. "Oh, I must be at 5 minutes by now! 2?! What?!" Where as with this other way, I didn't even check my phone (my time keeper, lol) till I knew I was close to the half way point. And then I knew exactly what I had left to do to get back. Mentally, this made the jog so much easier.

Whatever your method, I think making it so you don't need to check the time every few minutes is definitely the way to go, especially when you get in to the long runs.

KayNicole
06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Great job Gold! I agree that watching the clock makes it harder! I was having a hard run one day and I had 30 seconds left. I started counting down in my head and that made it so much harder. Letting my mind wonder seems to be the best way to make it through!

BluCypressLily
06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the tip! I've been doing lower leg exercises with a resistance band, but I think I'll try yours too--it sounds similar to a warm-up exercise that one of my runner friends uses. She also draws the alphabet with her toes in the air (all of the motion coming from the ankle).
Last night my shin was CREAKING. It scared the crap out of me. Every time I flex my foot, I can feel this creak along my outer shin. It's freaky. So I googled it and it looks like it's probably an inflamed tendon, most likely brought on by overdoing it on the hills during my hike.

Blu- I have a history of shin issues too and I was given a muscle strengthening exercise to help. I stand in place or kind of move forward but you step with your toes pointed in and then pointed out. so.. in, in, out, out, in, in... etc. It seems to help me. Just last night I started noticing my shins hurting for the first time since I started C25K which is AMAZING! Usually I have problems right away.

BluCypressLily
06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Woo hoo! Awesome job! I think changing your route makes a huge difference mentally (that clock watching ruins it for me--I started off by using a stopwatch, but abandoned it in favor of C25K podcasts that tell me when to stop and go)

Sad to hear about the physical injuries/problems everyone is having! I'd mention proper stretching and shoes, etc, but unfortunately, I have also personally experienced how that doesn't always help. Luckily, my pains are only when I'm running, usually towards the very end, and never last once I switch back to walking. It is definitely a deep concern, because it doesn't take much for a little problem to become a big one.

Anyway, I finished my last 25min run! :carrot: It was definitely easier. I think part of that was because it was my 4th day of it, but also because I took a different plan with my route. I headed out from home and didn't turn around until I was half way in time. Previously, I've been doing a short street here and there, a quick path around the park, etc, and it makes time feel like it's going soooo slow. "Oh, I must be at 5 minutes by now! 2?! What?!" Where as with this other way, I didn't even check my phone (my time keeper, lol) till I knew I was close to the half way point. And then I knew exactly what I had left to do to get back. Mentally, this made the jog so much easier.

Whatever your method, I think making it so you don't need to check the time every few minutes is definitely the way to go, especially when you get in to the long runs.

KayNicole
06-29-2010, 11:47 AM
OK I haven't started week 5 yet. :( I REALLY need new socks and some new shorts or body glide! I am hoping I can make it to the store tonight but if not I am just going to go for it with the W5D1 workout! I am excited. :)

KayNicole
07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
OK I finally got some new socks and did my W5D1 run. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think I will be able to make the 8 minute runs but the 20 minute run still seems pretty impossible. lol I am interested to see how I do.

How is everyone else doing?

BluCypressLily
07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Yay for the new socks and starting W5!

I agree, the jump from 8 to 20 min seems pretty daunting.

Me, I'm still RICE-ing my leg and doing my strengthening exercises :(

OK I finally got some new socks and did my W5D1 run. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think I will be able to make the 8 minute runs but the 20 minute run still seems pretty impossible. lol I am interested to see how I do.

How is everyone else doing?

KayNicole
07-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Sorry to hear you have been set back a bit Blu. Don't let it get you down though. You are still moving forward!

Today will be my 8 minute runs. Not too worried about it. Yesterday I did a test. I know I joked before that I would end up running in place by the end of my 20 minute run so... I ran in place (and around my apartment since I got bored) for 20 minutes just to see if I could even do that! lol I actually got pretty tired for awhile there. My 20 minute run on Sunday should be interesting.

Gold32
07-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Look at it this way, two 8 minute runs is 16 minutes total. You aren't really adding too much to that. Does that help? Also, it wasn't as hard for me as I thought it would be. Doing the 25 minutes at the end of the next week was way worse. I swore, every second of it, that I was going to stop, that there was no way I would make it.

But, of course, I did. :)

I've got my last 28 minute run to do today. Will probably be pushed to tomorrow morning, since I have family coming over for dinner and they won't leave until late. Then I'm on to the last week! :carrot: At this point, I don't even care whether I like running or not, I just want to be able to say that I graduated the program!

KayNicole
07-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Gold! I was thinking the same thing the other day. :) I think I will be ok because I plan on just slowing my pace when I feel like I need to stop. Hopefully I can keep the shuffle going the entire time. :)

KayNicole
07-02-2010, 10:04 PM
OK W5D2 done! Not too bad either. If I make it through the 20 minute run I will totally amaze myself. lol 20 minute run on Sunday!!

vesperpt
07-02-2010, 10:32 PM
So i FINALLY got off my tush and went for my W4D2 run. It was just over a complete week since my last and I could feel the difference having gone so long between. Yuck :(

At any rate, i got er done! The last 5 min run was tough but i made it. I definitely agree with you, KayNicole, there just isnt enough recovery time before the last one.

I'm getting really excited for my trip back to visit my family (I leave next friday), because there are so many trails and neat parks. One in particular is 5.5 km, with varying terrain. We'll see how that goes. :)

KayNicole
07-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Vesperpt- Glad you made it through that last run! I can't wait to hear about your trip. It sounds like a pretty area.

KayNicole
07-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I did my first 20 min run this morning and it went WAY better than I thought it would. Around the 13/14 minute mark I walked at a fast pace for 60 seconds and went back into the running for the remainder of my time. Although I don't quite feel the accomplishment as I would if I had made it the entire time but I am still darn proud of running for 14 minutes, walking for 1 and running for 5 more! I don't think I have run for that long since like... maybe ever! I really don't feel sore (yet). Pretty cool. :)

vesperpt
07-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Way to go KayNicole! I'm so happy for you!
Are you going to try the 20 min again or just go ahead to W6?

I went running down in the ravine near my place with a friend the other day and although it began as doing my W4D3 run, it really didn't turn out that way. I have discovered it's really hard to do a C25K run with someone who isnt on the program - simply because they may be paced completely different, or just hard to focus on music and be determined.

Otherwise I just was NOT used to such terrain. I guess I sortof wussed out. So many hills and stairs.. hills and stairs... hills and stairs. So I'm just counting that as an "extra" workout and might try W4D3 tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Gold32
07-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Good luck vesperpt! Believe me, I know how much the hills can kill you.

So I finally caved. I went on my last 28 minute run on Saturday, just before noon. Though the temperature was only 77, it was direct sunlight. My husband and I made it about 2/3 of the way, and I'm warning him, "I can't do this." I slowed down, and realized I was actually going faster than I should have been. Went just a bit further, came to another slight incline, and was like, "Oh heck, screw this." I tried to pick it back up after a minute or so walking, but I just didn't have the heart. Hubby blamed the sun.

But I really wasn't enjoying the long, 25-28 minute runs. And most of the 28 minute runs were more like 29 minute runs. I'm essentially done, I just hate it. But when I went on a walk and inserted some quick, fast sprints, I enjoyed that. So that's what I'm doing: going back to almost the beginning and starting again at a faster pace. Maybe then I'll learn to love it. If not, I can settle with inserting sprints into my normal walking. I proved to myself I can physically do it. There's no need to push myself in continuing something I hate. Right? :halfempty

Good luck to you all! Hopefully you like those long runs much more than I did!

KayNicole
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Vesperpt- Thanks! I think I am going to go into week 6 and hope to make it through the 25 min run. If I don't make it I plan to repeat weeks 5 and 6 one more time. Hopefully by then I will be able to make it through the 20+ min runs It sounds like you got one heck of an extra workout in this week!

Gold- Sorry to hear your last run was such a killer! I was thinking about starting the C25K program over again (once I am done) to work speed too. Let us know how it goes! I don't see anything wrong with sticking to the interval running rather than long runs especially if you don't get any enjoyment out of it.

Carly- Great job!! My pace it just a little behind the pace they set in C25K too but I am getting there.

Tonight will be my first day of week 6. I am not all that worried about it. I didn't realize this until yesterday but I ran OVER 1 mile! I can't even remember the last time I actually ran an entire mile without stopping!! I mean really, I may not have ever run an entire mile before without stops! Can't wait to be able to say I ran 2... or 3!!

vesperpt
07-07-2010, 12:02 AM
I also have found my pace is just behind what the program actually tells me I should be doing. I do my runs half and half in the gym vs outdoors depending on how sweltering it is outside. Mostly on the treadmill I run at 5.4ish. I wish I could do what is recommended ( at a 6) but I have ran more than I ever could imagine is good enough to me.

My calves are SORE from my trek the other day, but it looks like I'll be doing my W4D3 run tomorrow, although I am debating just starting with W5D1. Any thoughts?

KayNicole
07-07-2010, 11:29 AM
W6D1 done! I think that was the first run I went into feeling like "I got this". :D

Vesperpt- I thought W5 D1 & D2 were really easy but that 20 min run is tough. You did get a pretty good replacement workout in so if you feel up to moving on then go for it!

BluCypressLily
07-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Glad to see everyone is doing well!

Gold--sorry to hear you're not enjoying the longer runs. I would totally stick with the interval style if that's working for you and you LIKE it better!

I think I'm almost ready to start running again..it's still making the weird creaking noise, but the pain is mostly gone. If all goes well, I'm hoping to start up again next week, but will probably only do two runs per week instead of three so that I don't re-injure my leg.

It's been discouraging a bit these past few weeks--I'm a firm believer in not letting my size keep me from going/seeing/doing, but sometimes I have to let reality sink in and realize that doing more than I can physically handle can be detrimental to my long-term goals. Being sidelined has definitely given me a new perspective!

But I'm excited to get back out there :D

KayNicole
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Blu- I know what you mean about having to face the reality. With knee and foot issues I had a hard time. It is difficult to figure out the exercises you can do vs the exercises you know and want to do. :/ I hope you are finding an ok balance in your down time. Can't wait to hear how it goes when you start back up.

KayNicole
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
great job Carly!! that is awesome!

KayNicole
07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Last night I did my W6D2 run and it was so hard! I don't think it would have been that bad it I hadn't just completed a 25 min brisk walk and 30DS right before my run. And it was way hot in the workout room. I really didn't think I was going to make it through but I did. By the end of the second 10 min run I was getting a little wobbly on my feet so I slowed it way down but kept shuffling. I am thinking I may be repeating weeks 5 & 6. But I am good with that.

Happy Friday!!!

KayNicole
07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Great job Carly!!! you are kicking my butt! Especially with that incline... I can't do inclines. lol

Well I am back repeating W5 and W6. I took 4 days off of C25K and that first run really sucked. It was super hard.

KayNicole
07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks Carly, I signed up. Now I want to go back and log my hours!! :D

Gold32
07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Good to see everyone chugging along! On my end, turns out that just because you can granny-shuffle for 28 minutes, doesn't mean you can do a faster pace for very long at all. Doing a faster pace for a minute and a half 6 times is totally killing me. But I learned I'd rather do something really, really hard for a short time, than something I moderately don't like for half an hour. So I'll probably be sticking with the interval training for a while. (Besides, aren't there certain benefits to this over even straight running? Eh, maybe I'm making that up.)

Also, I'm very jealous of you with treadmills. My foot caught the edge of the road (street doesn't have gutters) and I started to fall. I caught myself, and my ankle was fine, but my thumb had a mysterious chunk missing. NOT FUN. So please, learn from my stupidity, and be safe!

KayNicole
07-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Oh no Gold!! I am glad you caught yourself and didn't take a bad spill. That is something I worry about all the time on the treadmill too. Sometimes I get a little stumbly and stagger a little.

I believe you are right that interval training is better for weight loss than straight running... at least that's what my treadmill says! lol