General chatter - What are you reading-May 2010

View Full Version : What are you reading-May 2010

Smiling_Sara
05-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Another month is upon us. Share with us what you are reading.

I'm half way through The amazing adventures of dietgirl. I'm enjoying it.

kristine w
05-02-2010, 08:00 PM
The Pawn by Steven James. It's pretty good so far.

CanadianCutie
05-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Just finished The Zombie Survival Guide, and started Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving. I read The World According to Garp in high school and I loved it. I'm hoping this one captures my attention as much.
And Onederchic I know you asked about the zombie book in last month's thread. I loved it, it reads just like a real survival guide, and the "recorded zombie attacks" in the back of the book are great.
Also starting Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin. Lately I seem to like having a couple books to read at a time. It's odd I never used to be like that.

Avezy44
05-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Just started The Last Song yesterday and after that I have wuthering heights

ennay
05-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Just finished "The Hunger Games". Was ready to dive into the sequel but it is not available for Kindle. First book I have ever NOT been able to find on Kindle.

effie12
05-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Just finished "The Hunger Games". Was ready to dive into the sequel but it is not available for Kindle. First book I have ever NOT been able to find on Kindle.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE those books, oh man I am so excited for the third one. It is my secret teen lit indulgence :)

As for me, I'm reading To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf for school, as well as several short Victorian England detective stories. Once I'm out of school around the 19th or so, it is going to be a serious craze of pleasure reading (which I've missed so much!). I'm probably going to start out with The Master and Margarita and then go from there.

rileyozzy
05-02-2010, 11:44 PM
I am reading The Solitude of Prime Numbers. It is very depressing and I am having a hard time getting through it. I read Last Night in Twisted River and it was pretty good. It was fun because John Irving referenced all his other books.

Glory87
05-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I just finished Last Time I Saw You (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Time-Saw-You-Novel/dp/1400068649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272860537&sr=1-1) and I really enjoyed it.

JustBeckyV
05-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I have been trying to read JR Ward new series but just haven't gotten into it. I don't read as much as I used to though and spend a lot of my book reading time reading magazines now. Shape, fitness and runner's world lol I did just order the latest from her black dagger series. Gonna start on that tonight! lol

ANOther
05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Still on Shadow of Power. On deck, Up in Honey's Room and Marine One

sotypical
05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I gave up on Codependent No More; for now - I spent a lot of last month reading a few pages here and there, decided I just wasn't ready to read it right now. I found a used copy on the weekend for cheap so I can read it whenever now.

So I was in the Library the other day looking for something to read and I grabbed - One of Those Malibu Nights by Elizabeth Adler; hah I dunno. It's not bad so far.

Issa
05-03-2010, 03:08 PM
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and then I'll start Dreamseller by Brandon Novak. Also Managing PCOS for Dummies. Just got it in the mail and it looks packed with great info!

Julie131
05-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. A really good book set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 60's.

Getting ready to read Angry, Fat Chicks.

CanadianCutie
05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Started on a third book, as well as two I mentioned above. I'm reading Ghostwriter by Travis Thrasher on my sony reader. It's interesting, but I feel like I've read so many similar books/short stories before. Gonna keep at it, to see if it takes a different turn.

icandoallthings6613
05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Just finished The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, which I liked quite a bit, and I'm in the middle of Two Serious Ladies by Jane Bowles, Endpoint and Other Poems by John Updike, and some poems by Shelley. Definitely liking Two Serious Ladies thus far - - it reminds me a lot of one of my favorite writers, Carson McCullers.

Glory87
05-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I just finished Summer at Tiffany (http://www.amazon.com/Summer-at-Tiffany-Marjorie-Hart/dp/0061189537/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273432478&sr=8-1) - it was light and charming. Perfect beach read!

Ruthxxx
05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Just finished "Water for Elephants" by Sarah Gruen. It was wonderful. My tastes in reading have become quite jaded after 67 years of reading but this one kept me going back to it between tasks during my day.

The next book club selection is McCullough's "The First Man in Rome." I can see yet another "classical" movie epic on the horizon.

I'm still plugging away at John Irving's "Last Night in Twisted River", self-inflicted rather than for book club. I read every night before I fall asleep but fall asleep fast reading this one. I know it's epic but was expecting it to hold my interest as did Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany.

CanadianCutie
05-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Just started Greywalker by Kat Richardson on my ebook reader. It's got my attention so far. Still trudging through Last Night in Twisted River and Alice I Have Been.

mandalinn82
05-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Julie - I really enjoyed The Help.

Just Finished:
The Scarpetta Factor
Mommywood (Tori Spelling's book...fluff!)

Currently:
Dear Undercover Economist

Superfreakonomics (I am obsessed with weird stats and the economics of everyday life, can you tell?)

Six Modern Plagues (and how we are causing them) - Lots of strange non-fiction going on this week.

Several random mystery series (Sophie Metropolis mysteries by Toni Carrington, Chocoholic Mystery series)

Onederchic
05-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Footprints of God by Greg Iles is what I am reading on.

Glory87
05-20-2010, 02:52 AM
I am reading Kitty Kelly's new Oprah biography. It's okay.

I liked The Help too (read it last Christmas) but felt it was a little one dimensional. The good people are SO GOOD, the bad people are SO BAD.

While I was visiting my mom last week, I read Every Last One (http://www.amazon.com/Every-Last-One-Anna-Quindlen/dp/1400065747/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274338173&sr=8-1) which had nice prose but was predictable and Killing Floor (http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Floor-Jack-Reacher-No/dp/0515141429/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274338230&sr=1-1) - I don't normally do thrillers, but it was okay. Surprised they haven't made it into a movie franchise yet.

Next up:

Bloodroot (http://www.amazon.com/Bloodroot-Amy-Greene/dp/0307269868/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274338280&sr=1-1)

mom4life
05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Just started "Sierra" by Richard Wheeler. Love it

LisaMarie71
05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I just finished Shakespeare's Trollop by Charlaine Harris (I like all her series) and now I'm reading Phillippa Gregory's The White Queen and Women, Food, and God by Geneen Roth.

ParadiseFalls
05-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I also just finished Every Last One. I absolutely loved it. I agree with Glory87 that it was predictable, but the writing was so beautiful. I don't think it was meant to be unpredictable anyway. It had me crying through the almost whole second half.

Now I'm reading A Certain Slant of Light. I just started it a couple of hours ago, but so far I love it. I didn't think I would. It's so much darker than I expected. I've really been on a roll lately with books; I keep finding the most perfect ones. I hope it keeps up ;)

I'm also still reading Under the Dome, but I've been so into my other books that I haven't devoted chunks of time to finishing it.

I just got an audio version of the help, which I plan to listen to on a long drive next month. Hopefully I'll like it—you ladies seem to have enjoyed it!

HoneyMustard
05-22-2010, 08:39 PM
OMG! I just got back into reading.
This month I read "The Time Master Trilogy" by Louise Cooper.
Genre, Sci-Fi
A great story about the forces of Order and Chaos.

AdeleA
05-23-2010, 07:10 PM
I picked up Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" (Cross Stitch in the US I think?), at a book sale last month and finally got started on it last week.

...I'm really enjoying it (can't believe she had never visited Scotland when she wrote it!) and I'll have it finished before the month is out.
I have the others in the series lined up as future mini goal rewards.

To the OP...I read Dietgirl too, must read it again for inspiration. I've been a fan of her blog for ages too :)

CanadianCutie
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
I picked up Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" (Cross Stitch in the US I think?), at a book sale last month and finally got started on it last week.

...I'm really enjoying it (can't believe she had never visited Scotland when she wrote it!) and I'll have it finished before the month is out.

I loved Outlander. Haven't gotten around to reading the rest of the series though.

m3rma1d
05-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Currently reading: 'Oprah' by Kitty Kelley

Next up: 'What It Is' by Lynda Barry (Getting it for my Bday--Yay!)

AdeleA
05-25-2010, 12:54 AM

To the OP...I read Dietgirl too, must read it again for inspiration. I've been a fan of her blog for ages too :)

Just realised - it was Cross Stitch in the UK, not the US.

BTW The Book Depository has #s 2 and 3 in the series at a good discount currently..and free postage :)

pokeycactus
05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Ruthxxx - I really like First Man in Rome, and the books that follow it in the series. I enjoy McCullough's writing style.

sotypical
05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Just started "She's Come Undone" after some recommendations in another thread. :)

alinnell
05-27-2010, 06:43 PM
I haven't been around on these threads, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading.

This month it has been:

Caught by Harlan Coben (http://www.amazon.com/Caught-Harlan-Coben/dp/052595158X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275000026&sr=1-1). He's one of my favorite authors.

Deception by Jonathan Kellerman (http://www.amazon.com/Deception-Alex-Delaware-Novel-Novels/dp/0345505670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275000078&sr=1-1). Very good!

I'm currently reading:

The Last Child by John Hart (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Child-John-Hart/dp/0312642369/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275000123&sr=1-1) I'm only 1/4 through it but I love it!

Next up:

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next (http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Who-Kicked-Hornets-Nest/dp/030726999X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275000170&sr=1-1) It's the third and final book in this series (too bad the author died). We went to see the Swedish movie based on the first book. Very good.

Oh, and all these books I've read (or will read) on my Kindle. I love my Kindle!

Indiabound
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Before my bf left for India, he gave me a book called 2 States by Chetan Bhagat. Its pretty interesting so far. Its about a couple from two different states in India wanting to get married, but their parents' don't agree. Basically the difficulty in having a 'love-marriage' as opposed to an 'arranged marriage'.

Glory87
05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I tried to read the Last Child and just could NOT get into it, does it get better?

MosesMom1
05-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Lover Unbound from The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward
They. Are. Awesome!!!! :D

alinnell
05-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I tried to read the Last Child and just could NOT get into it, does it get better?

I didn't have trouble getting into it. The first chapter was a bit strange, and perhaps the whole thing is on some level, but I really like it. Each chapter seems to bring something new to the story--building and building. I can see one thing happening and if it does then it's obviously predictable, but the other things make it much more interesting.

ANOther
05-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Right now, for the second time, The Dreyfus Affair by Peter Lefcourt

Sounds cool and I wanna get: Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

FitGirlyGirl
05-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Rochester
05-29-2010, 09:18 PM
As for me, I'm reading To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf ...

One of my favorites! Are you enjoying it?

Rochester
05-29-2010, 09:23 PM
OMG! I just got back into reading.
This month I read "The Time Master Trilogy" by Louise Cooper.
Genre, Sci-Fi
A great story about the forces of Order and Chaos.

I adore Louise Cooper! I definitely recommend her Indigo series.

Rochester
05-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I just finished The Stolen Child (http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Child-Novel-Keith-Donohue/dp/0385516169/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in) by Keith Donohue. The plot is impossible to summarize, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it. :book2:

alinnell
05-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Glory~I really urge you to take another stab at The Last Child. I just spent most of the afternoon finishing the book. It was one of those that I really didn't want to put down. There were so many twists...if you can get through the first few chapters I think you'll like it.

Mellabella01
05-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Just started reading the new Sookie Stackhouse book by Charlaine Harris. I love her writing!

saycindy
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Just started Lie Down with the Devil by Linda Barnes. Love the Carlotta Carlyle series!