Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #1  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Default What does you in?

When you're plugging along, eating healthy and excercising, what does you in and knocks you off the weagon for a week, a month or more? and how do you stop it in the future?

For me, it's the scale.

Once it hasn't budged for 2 months I start eating poorly again.

Right now we don't have a working scale and the battery charger thing for the wii fit is broken.

I think I'm not going to buy a new scale. I think I'm just going to focus on eating healthy, exercising and taking it one day at a time. I think I'm beyond needing that scale reinforcement (that usually is a discouragement anyhow!) I know people say it's important to keep track but....it tears me down. My mom has a scale, and I visit her every few months. I will probably just use her scale when I see her sometime this summer.

I actually feel pretty liberated! I can just focus on the important parts and let the weight loss be a 'side effect' as someone else on here mentioned recently.

What is it for you guys, and how can you change it?
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #2  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Yea, for me it is probably weighing too. I get frustrated when I don't see progress and I am working hard... or when I workout and just keep gaining weight. I, however, do need to weigh in daily. If I am not weighing it is because I am eatng poorly. I guess I just need to try to focus more on how I feel and measuring and such... and not so much the number.

Last edited by Kae; 04-29-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

The scale. And I have analyzed myself into a solution that works great for me. I can now say with confidence that this is THE last time I will do this because I have finally saved me from myself.

1.) First and most importantly, I committed to this for one year. That way, no matter what the scale says, it doesn't matter. I want to see where I'll be one year later. My first day here I read in a signature, "A year from now you'll be glad you started today" and it really resonated with me. So here I am, 5.5 months in, on plan day after day after day, and stall after stall because I committed to it. And my weight DOES eventually drop. I just have a lot of stalls.

2) I started weighing daily. I know that sounds counter intuitive. It took me quite by surprise! I thought I should go to monthly weighing, not daily weighing! But by allowing myself to weigh whenever I want, but always in the morning, I have seen normal fluctuations and I have a really good sense of what my body does. Little one pound or even two pound gains really don't bother me. I find them amusing, actually. It's the stalls that still bug me!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

The scale sucks. Sometimes I break up with it for a while if it doesn't treat me right. Other times I'm able to treat it with a distant objectivity, however.

But I don't let the scale throw me off. There are bigger things in my life that I am worried might throw me off--for example, my mom's advanced pancreatic cancer. But we have been living with that for a year now, and I have been OK. I think that I will probably remain able to cope throughout the progress of her illness and eventual, inevitable death. I'm not sure why that is, except that I know very strongly, deep in my soul, that putting junk food in my body doesn't make anything better.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

These days nothing really "does me in" because my plan is to write everything down no matter what, so if I overeat, it doesn't send me off plan, it just makes me have a very high calorie day.

But what makes me have a high calorie day? A large container of nuts (any kind). For some reason, if I grab chips, I will weigh a portion, but nuts for some reason I just can't keep my hand out of them.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
So here I am, 5.5 months in, on plan day after day after day, and stall after stall because I committed to it. And my weight DOES eventually drop. I just have a lot of stalls.
That's been my problem, too. And yet, I hear it over and over again, all over this board and in other boards and throughout the Web world... "How do I get over this stall?"

I am slowly coming to believe that we don't "have a lot of stalls". It's pretty obvious to me that that's just how our bodies lose weight. It adjusts. It shifts. It settles in for a bit to see if this level of food/exercise is going to continue. It's doing this to PROTECT me. And when the time is right, so long as I stay on plan, it will give up the next pound. And the next. And the next.

I think your idea of going for time, rather than pounds, is a very good one. I'm thinking of backing off the scale, and doing a monthly weighing/measuring/picture/journaling thing, rather than worrying about the scale on a weekly basis. Now that I'm more focused on keeping my blood glucose level and counting calories, the weight-loss results are not as prominent in my mind (what a change!).

Now, what throws me completely off plan, I've found, is overdrinking. I can have one or two glasses of wine or bourbon and soda. But if I have more than that, even if I have the "calorie budget" for it, I find myself mindlessly shoving food into my mouth without even realizing it.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #7  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

What does me in? When I don't PLAN. When I don't think ahead. When I "just wing it"!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Stress. I used to think I handled stress great. Part of my job in the summers was very busy and stressful but that changed about 6 years ago when they reshuffled the departments. My job is pretty laid back. My life has always just coasted along and I thought things were great, I got stress a lot about my son and now with marriage stuff and my family stuff, it's been horrible. I've lost sleep and my memory and put on weight the last 6 or so months.

I'm not sure what to do. Being upbeat and positive takes a lot of energy and I didn't realize that. Being strong only lasted so many months and then I was plain wore out. It's been almost 9 months since my world was turned upside down but things are getting better, I'm building my trust for my husband again, I go to a counselor, we have visits with his daughter in our home, the boy really love her and I've taken to her but there are moments when I wish she were my daughter or more that I had a daughter.

I have lot's of expectations right now from my parents and brother and financial and work obligations and dealing with the issues of 3 of my sons and lot's of juggling. I don't think I could do this on my own.

I've made no plans though and I know that I should because I need to learn how to deal with the stress. Walking and yoga seem to be the best thing but I have to learn other ways to deal with it. But I have started exercising and taking the mona vie acai berry juice and I'm more regular and sleeping good.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #9  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Not having a plan for the week will do me in.
Lack of planning a tentative dinner and lunch menu for the week and then letting myself get too hungry before making a meal. I can't think of making something healthy if my blood sugar has me looking to eat my own face off. McDonald's is less than 1/2 mile from my house and right on my way home from work.

I have stocked my fridge and pantry with easy, healthy, whole foods. I make a plan in my head for the week of lunches and dinners. I also do a lot of pre-cooking (chicken breast, boiling eggs) and prepping baggies of vegetables for an easy to grab lunch.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Surprise food and social events are my two biggest issues.

I am great on a day to day basis, I have my healthy breakfast, I pack a lunch, snack, I make healthy dinners every night. It's the "suprise - here's some birthday cake!" or trying to stay out of the bread basket in a restaurant that get to me. Luckily, my weight is pretty steady (maintenance) because I eat so well 95% of the time.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #11  
on a journey

Stress and the scale, neither make me want to eat but i get so frustrated that i want to sit down and have a big cry.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #12  
Transforming through God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Surprise food and social events are my two biggest issues.
Bingo lol
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

physical pain
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #14  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I haven't found anything for me yet - I have been staying straight and strong mostly! Hope that I dont either!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 209.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'11"

Ugh, failing to plan!!!! I totally messed up just a bit ago here. I failed ot bring food with me to class, and I ended up buying, and consuming almost an entire bag of tortilla chips. Feel pretty disgusted and disgusting at the moment. But I am not giving into failure. I will drink lots of ater. Eat light tonight, (no "oh well, today's shot might as well make the whole day a bad day" mentality) and pick myself up NOW and keep going. I don't know why it is so difficult for me to make healthy decisions when I stop at the store hungry. Plan plan plan plan plan. This I think is paramount to me. (I threw the remaining tortilla chips away)
ma26 is offline   Reply With Quote