PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/ticker'135

Height: 5'4"

Default New to IR and Metformin - Questions, Share your experience?

I think I have finally figured out why I have had so much trouble losing weight. Was dx with IR and started on Metformin this week. I'm not really sure what to expect, how fast I will start to feel better and have more energy, and how fast I can start losing weight.

I have between 30 and 40 pounds to lose. 40 pounds if you go by that BMI calculator, but I really can't see me getting down to 125 pounds. 130 to 135 seems more reasonable, but maybe that is fear talking.

I was working out, until I just gave up a lot. Since being dx, I'm now back at the gym working on a combination of dynamics, weights, and cardio. I have also reduced the amount of sugar I'm eating, focusing on link carbs with protein, and being mindfull of what I'm eating in general.

I've noticed that I'm almost MORE tired now than I was before I started taking metformin. Is that normal? I'm sleeping more now, which is good, but should I be even more tired during the day? I'm not up to the full dose yet. Started at 500mg 2x a day. I'm especially tired after I eat and for the next 1 to 2 hours. I have not had the nausea or stomach upset. I can tell when it hits my system and taste it, but that's about it.

Thanks!
HeyChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I couldn't do metformin I tried it twice, once regular than another time the slow release- it didn't make me tired but it made me violently ill.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #3  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Have you eliminated sugar and decreased your grain carbs? I felt really tired on met until I did that. Good luck! If you don't have luck with that, try cinnamon supplements.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumie View Post
Have you eliminated sugar and decreased your grain carbs? I felt really tired on met until I did that. Good luck! If you don't have luck with that, try cinnamon supplements.
The first few days I had eliminated sugar and decreased grains. Yesterday I added some back in (linked with protein); I was wondering if I had decreased too much. Maybe I should cut back down and give it some more time.

I also added in sublingual methyl-B12 yesterday. I'll look into the cinnamon.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #5  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I also couldn't tolerate Met...my dr doesn't know I have stopped taking it, but it made me tired and have the runs all the time no matter how I ate. I want to lose weight and be drug free. I am sick of taking medicine everyday. I'm doing one more medicated cycle (currently) before going on break to lose weight...
Met I don't think has really been proven to help people lose weight...I thought I would just see the weight start flying off. But it all comes back to the same old story, diet and exercise!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #6  

oh - right. I never thought it was going to be a magic weight loss pill. lol If I did, I wouldn't be busting my tush at the gym. I thought it was supposed to help regulate the insulin/blood sugar swings, and incidently help reduce the intense food cravings and the other side effects of crazy insulin/sugar issues. Just trying to figure out this fatigue stuff.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/212/160

Height: 5'6

Hi all,
I just joined this site and here seems to be the best place to introduce myself and make my first post. I have been trying to lose weight since the beginning of June 2009 to no avail. (Exercising 5-7 days a week, watching what I eat, etc). I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance/Metabolic Syndrome in the fall. My doctor just put me on 500 mg of metformin. I was really optimistic when I was put on it, that finally with diet and exercise the weight loss would happen, but nothing. About 10 days ago I saw an Endocrinologist and he put my dose of metformin to 2000 a day. (increasing by 500 a week until I get there). After about 4 or 5 days of taking 500 mg of metformin in the am and 500 in the pm, the scale actually moved! (It has not budged downward for a year, no joke.) Currently I am taking 1000 mg in the am and 500 mg in the pm. Next week I will start the full dose of 1000 mg in the am and 1000 mg in the pm. After an extremely difficult year, I am finally starting to lose weight. I have been trying to read about metformin and insulin resistance. Many seem to say that a dose of 1000mg a day or less is ineffective. That sure proved to be the case foe me. I definitely do have some more gas than is normal on the metformin, but if I lose weight with it, I would take that any day. It has been so hard this past year to keep working out and keep dieting when nothing seemed to be working. Now that this finally seems to be tipping the scales in my favor (hehe), I am soooooooooo excited and happy. I just hope it continues. If nothing else it has given me hope. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience.
Also, I am 33, currently 218....high and weight for the past year was 223-225.
JennyGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote