Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

Default Saliva Test

Have any of you done the Saliva test at MRC? I broke down and bought one today.. Hopefully it may reveal some of my food craving and binging on sweet issues.. I thought if anyone has done it they could let us know what it showed and what MRC was able to do about it..

Cheers!

Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/180/140

Ronnie I haven't heard about this at my center. What do they test the saliva for? I'm just curious...
karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla View Post
Ronnie I haven't heard about this at my center. What do they test the saliva for? I'm just curious...
Hey sweetie how you doing? The saliva test is to check your hormones.. I guess I should have told what it was for.. Now that I think about it, that post sounded like I was nuts! LOL. It tells alot about your hormones and if you are lacking anything.. It is pretty sophisticated I am told.. We shall see..

Hope you are doing well! Nice to see you posting..

Ronnie
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6''

Ronnie, My mom was gonna do this yesterday, but really, she's on a horomone patch because she's had a hysterectomy, so she changed her mind.

My only reason for not doing it, is that if it shows that I have deficites somewhere they're gonna wanna sell me their product to correct the problem. I don't need that. I don't trust the center to mess with my horomones...

But...that being said, I'll be interested to see how the test comes out for you. I know that being overweight and then losing weight both effect your horomones. I think it's great that they test for it, just don't trust them to resolve the issues.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #5  

That would be an interesting test to have...but I am currently on a birth-control patch so that may throw things off. I am curious to see what it shows for you though. It seems like you will be our saliva test guinea!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/175/170

Height: 5' 9"

You said you "bought one" - do you have to do it at a certain time of day or how does the test get administered. I am envisioning you spitting on something or licking something. lol
lolajean624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolajean624 View Post
You said you "bought one" - do you have to do it at a certain time of day or how does the test get administered. I am envisioning you spitting on something or licking something. lol
Laugh it up sister! LOL.. Yes you have to spit into a tube 4 times a day.. Let me tell you, this can be a time vampire.. I don't know where I am going to find the time to sit and spit into 4 test tubes.. It is kind of gross.. Not sure this was a good idea.. I will let you know what happens.. Hopefully I will be able to work up enough to send it to the lab..

Cheers!
Ronnie
Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/209/155

Height: 5'3"

I am so curious to see what you have to say. They want me to do it, but of course it is so expensive, and we are a two person family with one income, and not a great income at that :-) I already feel like I am spending half my paycheck on this diet.
JessicaM121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 219/161/155

Height: 5'6"

Good luck with the test. They also wanted me to do "the test" because I haven't lost any inches AT ALL on my stomach. I've lost 36 inches total but nothing there. Interesting. I believe that they charge $200 or so for the test here. I'm still on the sideline with this one.
thinknthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieAdl View Post
Hey sweetie how you doing? The saliva test is to check your hormones.. I guess I should have told what it was for.. Now that I think about it, that post sounded like I was nuts! LOL. It tells alot about your hormones and if you are lacking anything.. It is pretty sophisticated I am told.. We shall see..

Hope you are doing well! Nice to see you posting..

Ronnie
I am doing alright...still kicking lol. Find out news about radiation hopefully tomorrow so I am trying not to bite my nails off tonight
Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla View Post
I am doing alright...still kicking lol. Find out news about radiation hopefully tomorrow so I am trying not to bite my nails off tonight
It just so happens I work in a radiation therapy center. I hope this works out for you.. Hang in there.. It is just nice to see that you are continuing on with your weight loss and posting here.. That is a good thing..

Take Care!

Ronnie
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #12  
Denise

S/C/G: 354/ticker/183

Height: 5'11"

I did the saliva kit and 1) it wasn't bad at all; it took me about 10 minutes to fill the big tube and even less time for the others. 2) it was validation for me about what my hormones were doing and where I am.
In the last year, I noticed my skin and hair texture was changing, I was breaking out all the sudden, etc.... I talked to my Dr and she said that I was probably pre-menopausal but they couldn't really do anything in terms of testing (because of accuracy) until I had issues with my menstrual cycle (which I don't after losing weight) so when the option to do the saliva test came about, I jumped on it. I was happy to have validation to what I was experiencing. I am estrogen dominant which many woman are, especially women with weight issues. My cortisol levels were crazy high, which explained a lot as well. Based on symptoms I have low and high cortisol throughout the day and have hypometabolism. There was a lot of good information in the test, and yes.... you can buy more products if you want to regulate your hormones which I did. I use the new balance cream and I use cortitrim (which I used throughout my program). Both made/make a world of difference to me. I appreciate that I didn't have to just make assumptions about my body, but I could do something about it.
namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste View Post
I did the saliva kit and 1) it wasn't bad at all; it took me about 10 minutes to fill the big tube and even less time for the others. 2) it was validation for me about what my hormones were doing and where I am.
In the last year, I noticed my skin and hair texture was changing, I was breaking out all the sudden, etc.... I talked to my Dr and she said that I was probably pre-menopausal but they couldn't really do anything in terms of testing (because of accuracy) until I had issues with my menstrual cycle (which I don't after losing weight) so when the option to do the saliva test came about, I jumped on it. I was happy to have validation to what I was experiencing. I am estrogen dominant which many woman are, especially women with weight issues. My cortisol levels were crazy high, which explained a lot as well. Based on symptoms I have low and high cortisol throughout the day and have hypometabolism. There was a lot of good information in the test, and yes.... you can buy more products if you want to regulate your hormones which I did. I use the new balance cream and I use cortitrim (which I used throughout my program). Both made/make a world of difference to me. I appreciate that I didn't have to just make assumptions about my body, but I could do something about it.
Thank you for sharing this info! It seemed like it took forever to fill those darn viles! But I am really curious to see how this comes back. I didn't mail it in, when I went to my center today they told me I could drop it off at the lab which was not far from MRC. They asked me some questions and I asked them how accurate this test was, and she told me very accurate and it will be very telling when the results come back, so I am anxious to see what is actually going on with me and my falling out hair.<G> Anyway thanks for sharing!

Cheers!
Ronnie
Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #14  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste View Post

True experience that really means something. Thanks for the input!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

I am 56 and did the saliva test. I am sure each center is different. I just want to say that when my results came in the consultant made me feel that I was in adrenal failure, my cortisol was off the charts etc etc etc. I paniced and ended up buying several products that I later learned I did not need. I should have asked her what each product was for instead of just buying them as later, another consultant told me I just needed 3 products. I was so mad that I don't even remember what the 3 products were other than I know corti-trim was one of them. I later went to a naturopath doctor and she has given me some herbs and supplements that have really helped me. The best one is a tonic but it doesn't list the ing. So, just be cautious and ask questions.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote