General chatter - Parents FORCED To Move Over Happy Meals

EZMONEY
04-28-2010, 11:04 AM
:tantrum: Mommy I want my toy...I want my toy now! :tantrum:

California County bans toys from Happy Meal packs...

Not sure the kids are gonna go for this one :no:

I can see a lot of families moving out of that county already....what parent needs that kind of pressure? ;)

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/apr/27/california-county-trims-toys-in-meals-to-cut-fat/

Shannon in ATL
04-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Interesting.

I've worked in fast food for a long time, I am currently working for a restaurant chain that doesn't give out toys or sell kids meals. I worked for Burger King for a long time - the toys were always a big thing with the kids, and with the parents. I would watch kids have temper tantrums if the toy in the bag was one they already had, or one that they didn't want. The food was totally secondary, but they were definitely eating. I also often saw the toy as a bribe to get the kids to sit quietly, to eat their meal, etc. So, bad on both sides.

The whole concept of the "Big Kids Meal" was frightening - a double burger or double cheeseburger, 6 or 8 nuggets instead of 4, larger drinks, and a toy.

The kids are going to go nuts. And, the parents that use the toy as a tool are, too.

I don't know that it will actually help with the eating habits, though. My stepson will still ask for nuggets and fries even if no toy is involved because of the food itself.

beerab
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Personally I don't think it's going to help. So what now? The kid is STILL most likely going to get the happy meal- but now be disapointed that there is no toy. OR they'll skip the toy altogether and get a larger meal cuz they have no toy to focus on.

I recently found out that my friend's neice (who is THREE) can eat a whole ten piece chicken nugget MEAL by herself! That poor child is going to have a heart attack by the age of ten- her mother is severly obese as well.

ETA- maybe instead they should focus on making the meals less than 500 calories- by making nuggets smaller or cooking the foods in a different fashion.

nelie
04-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I can understand why but not sure an ordinance is the right way to go. When I was young, we never went to fast food restaurants and I certainly never got toys as part of my meal.

Shannon in ATL
04-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Burger King is actually working on making their Kid's Meals lower in calories and fat, they just put out an article on one of the restaurant trade magazines about it. I'll see if I can find some details and post.

lights76
04-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I always buy my daughter the toy without the meal. :)

caryesings
04-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Happy meals were invented after my childhood, but I do vividly remember always picking out my cereal by what toy would be inside. Do they put toys in kid cereal these days?

GradPhase
04-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I haven't found toys in my cereal boxes for years :( I don't know when they made the big "choking hazard change" but it still bums me out today!

PeanutsMom704
04-28-2010, 04:13 PM
so silly. If a parent takes their kid to McD or Burger King too often, the happy meal toy isn't the issue, it's the parental judgement.

And I say that as someone who does take my son from time to time. He's a very active child with no excess weight issues (the opposite, actually, sometimes, he's clinically underweight depending on where he is in a growth spurt) and I'm a fan of the concept of moderation. By his own choice, he eats a hamburger happy meal, although he doesn't eat the bun, and with apple dippers instead of fries. Maybe a little higher in salt than something I'd make at home but otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with his meal there. But of course, it's a once a month or so treat, not a daily or even weekly occurrence!

mom4life
04-28-2010, 04:19 PM
It wouldn't affect my kids any. I rarely get the kids happy meals anyways. My kids only eat cheeseburgers, that's all we get them if we go to a burger joint. They're thin and eat healthy at home so one burger every other week is fine.
Depending on the toys, we will buy them separately.

sweetcakes736
04-28-2010, 04:30 PM
ok, maybe as a parent I was just a radical liberal. when we took our kids out to eat I had a seperate "purse" full of stuff for them to do at any restaurant we were at. It had crayons, coloring books, tic-tac-toe, hangman, go-fish cards etc. My kids preferred those over a piece of useless plastic, which was usually used to promote a movie.

candy love
04-28-2010, 04:36 PM
to be honest i think its a good thing, kids don't need that kinda crap in their bodies it just encourages unhealthy life styles tbh

beerab
04-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Yes but do you think a kid only goes to these places just for the toy? I mean you can buy the toys seperately anyways- my parents did that all the time! The stores aren't going to refuse the customer's the toys if they ask to purchase them.

freeqeegrl
04-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Thats great. one less reason for parents to give their children crap. maybe if we stop feeding our children junk like happy meals they will no longer be destined to be the first generation EVER to have a shorter life expectancy then their parents.

MyBestYear
04-28-2010, 05:46 PM
On the rare occasion, my daughter will get the BK mac&cheese (not healthy but at least a healthy-sized portion), apple slices, and 100% juice (we do primarily water in the home but again, this is a very rare occasion with the juice). She is a healthy weight and receives this 'meal' about once every 3-4 months at best.

I think if someone is feeding their child happy meals on a regular basis, they've got bigger issues than the toy. I mean, it isn't about the toy. It is about parents who choose a lifestyle for their children (as opposed to a rare meal). It's about perpetuating an unhealthy lifestyle.

mom4life
04-28-2010, 06:12 PM
On the rare occasion, my daughter will get the BK mac&cheese (not healthy but at least a healthy-sized portion), apple slices, and 100% juice (we do primarily water in the home but again, this is a very rare occasion with the juice). She is a healthy weight and receives this 'meal' about once every 3-4 months at best.

I think if someone is feeding their child happy meals on a regular basis, they've got bigger issues than the toy. I mean, it isn't about the toy. It is about parents who choose a lifestyle for their children (as opposed to a rare meal). It's about perpetuating an unhealthy lifestyle.

exactly

my kids scarf down homemade burgers faster then fast food ones. The only time we go out is when we're out of town which is rare. Its true most of the the toys are crappy anyways. My kids could care less about the toys being displayed.
Seriously I dislike that the focus is on the restaurants, it should be on the parents. The restaurants can only do so much. Sure they can offer healthier choices but if those aren't being offered at home, do you seriously think kids will go for it at some restaurant? heck no!

harrismm
04-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Lol...the toy is the healthiest thing in the meal....and they are taking out the toy? Funny stuff.

callie999
04-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I find this disturbing. It is the parents' responsibilities to make educated decisions about what is right for their children. If this sets a precedent for an even larger government entity to make decisions for you and your kids, what's stopping them from regulating exactly how all businesses market their products? Who decides what's healthy and what isn't? Should General Mills and Kellogg's be barred from using cartoon characters on cereal boxes? Bright colors? Catchy slogans? It's a slippery slope that will do nothing but drive businesses and consumers away.

eroica27
04-28-2010, 07:32 PM
its funny. when i was little, i'd spend hours playing with the toy. i wasn't nearly as interested in the food. i didn't like fries and would eat only half of my burger until i was like 12. now, toddlers will slam down a large fry and whopper and expect a dessert.

Removing the toy has absolutely nothing to do with the health of the meal. i think its the fact that its called a kids meal is one of the big problems. parents think that its an appropriate meal. in fact a good number of childrens menus are filled with junk food. a side of apples does not make the meal healthy. i work at whole foods and even with all of the healthy options and choices (we have the 5th or 6th largest store), one would be shocked by how often parents will bring in a happy meal for their kids, or just buy them a large piece of pizza. its rare to see kids in the store eating vegetables or something (not pizza) with vegetables in it, and we have over 100 things to choose from.

kuchick
04-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I look at it as preventing the restaurants from marketing to kids - the same as "Joe Camel" was used to market cigarettes to kids. The kids meals are just as bad for their health as cigarettes. If there is no toy, my kids would never ask for a kid's meal. Hopefully, this will keep some kids from developing an unhealthy habit that follows them into adulthood.

Sweetcaroline
04-29-2010, 01:06 AM
I'll admit, junk food is bad... especially for kids, but I think the choice is up to the parents, not the government...

therex
04-29-2010, 01:43 AM

I can see a lot of families moving out of that county already....what parent needs that kind of pressure? ;)

of course kids are going to be unhappy with the decision, but it's a small step towards taking back some of the power that fast food chains have over small children. Kids are being indoctrinated by media advertisement as early as 3 yrs to ask for fast food- it is just that start of an unhealthy relationship with crappy food. And now that this reward system -subtle manipulation if you ask me- has been removed in the county, I'm sure there will be a decrease in increasingly younger kids asking for unhealthy food.

so what if the kid throws a tantrum, they throw tantrums over where to sit in the car. if people don't want that pressure, don't have kids.

therex
04-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Should General Mills and Kellogg's be barred from using cartoon characters on cereal boxes? Bright colors? Catchy slogans? It's a slippery slope that will do nothing but drive businesses and consumers away.

I agree, I myself miss seeing ads aimed at young children encouraging cigarette smoking. Damn gov'ment.

GradPhase
04-29-2010, 01:58 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say I think this is fantastic.

I collected happy meal toys, and STILL -LOVE- fast food chicken nuggets.

And I STILL pick my cereal based partly on the box.

... So there. Way to go county in California!

EZMONEY
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
And I STILL pick my cereal based partly on the box.

:D Reminds me of date night last friday...after dinner Angie and I went to the produce market....while she was looking for her vitamins I looked at the wine...saw a really cool bottle of merlot...through it in the cart. When she noticed it she asked "why?" that choice...I just say "I think the label is cool :cool:"...

Picked my merlot by a pretty and cool label....

guess I pick my wine like I pick my women ;)

It was really good! :)

beerab
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I find this disturbing. It is the parents' responsibilities to make educated decisions about what is right for their children. If this sets a precedent for an even larger government entity to make decisions for you and your kids, what's stopping them from regulating exactly how all businesses market their products? Who decides what's healthy and what isn't? Should General Mills and Kellogg's be barred from using cartoon characters on cereal boxes? Bright colors? Catchy slogans? It's a slippery slope that will do nothing but drive businesses and consumers away.

I agree 100%.

And like I said before- taking away the toy won't make the parents stop going to these places- so the kids will still eat the food regardless of if there is a toy or not. My friend's neice doesn't even get happy meals! She's three and eats a 10 piece chicken nugget meal!

mom4life
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
My uncle is 2 yrs older then me. When we were younger (7-9) my grandmother would reward bad behavior by getting him 3 whoppers, he would eat it all and would throw a fit if my grandmother asked him to share one with me so she would buy one for me. Anyways he was thin at the time or had a pretty high metabolism. But once he hit his teens all those bad eating habits caught up to him....he became obese. Since he wanted a girlfriend it forced him to make some hard choices. He had to cut back on his eating and start exercising like he hadn't before. He slimmed down very nicely but he resented his mom for instilling those bad habits just to satisfy his bratty self. LOL
Now he's fit and is instilling very healthy habits to his children. Now that we're in our late 30's we look back on those days and laugh at how many whoppers (sometimes 6 at a time) he could wolf down in one sitting. Boy, it makes us nauseous just thinking about it. LOL
Even though parents think they're doing something nice for their kids.....they really aren't. When your kid is throwing a major tantrum because you won't get them a HM you gotta step back and think "Am I really doing the right thing?"
When my kid throws a tantrum all it means to me is "You're definitely not getting XYZ."

Viviane
04-29-2010, 01:38 PM
I look at it as preventing the restaurants from marketing to kids - the same as "Joe Camel" was used to market cigarettes to kids. The kids meals are just as bad for their health as cigarettes. If there is no toy, my kids would never ask for a kid's meal. Hopefully, this will keep some kids from developing an unhealthy habit that follows them into adulthood.

Exactly how I feel. The child may see the toy as the best part of getting a particular meal, but the point of it is to create brand loyalty and associate fun times with McDonald's (or whatever "restaurant"). It's designed to keep that child coming back to McDonald's regularly as an adult. Fruits and vegetables don't come with toys or a playground and characters like Ronald McDonald. The deck is stacked.

ETA: With all due respect to the OP, no one was "FORCED" to move. It's ridiculous that an adult would consider moving so that their children are able to get a toy with their fast food. I'd use it as a handy excuse NOT to go to McDonald's! You know, say to the kids: "Well, they don't have the toys anymore...how about we make a picnic and go to the playground instead?"

sarahyu
04-29-2010, 03:51 PM
I haven't found toys in my cereal boxes for years :( I don't know when they made the big "choking hazard change" but it still bums me out today!

hey, that's right. We used to get toys in our cereal all the time. My brother and I would fight over who got the toy. And you know for the life of me I don't remembe what any of those things were now.

It didn't stop us from buying and eating sugar in a box cereal. So I don't think taking the toy out of the happy meal is really going to change anything. Unless it forces the fast food industry to make healthier options for kids.

EZMONEY
04-29-2010, 10:18 PM

ETA: With all due respect to the OP, no one was "FORCED" to move. It's ridiculous that an adult would consider moving so that their children are able to get a toy with their fast food. I'd use it as a handy excuse NOT to go to McDonald's! You know, say to the kids: "Well, they don't have the toys anymore...how about we make a picnic and go to the playground instead?"

Well...it could happen ;)

EZMONEY
04-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Suppose our government said they were banning white bread...

since it isn't as good for us as wheat....

what then?

Viviane
04-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Suppose our government said they were banning white bread...

since it isn't as good for us as wheat....

what then?

You're comparing apples and oranges. The county isn't banning a type of food, they're essentially banning one method of marketing that food to children. The county hasn't taken any action to ban the sale of certain foods. kuchick mentioned Joe Camel's role in marketing cigarettes to kids and rightly compared it to the toys filling that same role in happy meals. The toys are used to get the kids hooked.

Look, I understand where you're coming from with the white bread example- it appears to be a slippery slope of regulation. But, just because it looks that way doesn't mean that the county shouldn't act to protect children from being targeted in this way. Fast food is arguably just as dangerous as cigarettes and alcohol and those industries are prevented from such blatant marketing to children. The question that should be asked is why it's taken so long for the fast food industry to be dealt with accordingly.

Viviane
04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Well...it could happen ;)

And, I could inherit a million dollars, doesn't mean there's any basis in reality for it. ;)

EZMONEY
05-01-2010, 12:13 AM
But what about all the people that will lose their jobs because there will no longer be a need for the happy meal toys....

do we just say too bad so sad?

bunnythesAINT
05-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Kids grow up and the adult meals aren't that much better...I'm not seeing the benefit in this, the happy meal is what makes the meal happy. I would not be happy if my meal did not come with a toy and I was a kid.

kuchick
05-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Kids who never start eating at McDonalds won't want to eat there as adults. I never eat at McD's - their food is gross. If the kids need a toy with a meal, then Hot Wheels cost $1. Keep a bunch in reserve - I've done that before. And as far as anyone losing their job over no more toys - I'm pretty sure that they're children in a 3rd world country - maybe it's for the best.

EZMONEY
05-02-2010, 09:57 AM
...I'm not seeing the benefit in this, the happy meal is what makes the meal happy. I would not be happy if my meal did not come with a toy and I was a kid.

Exactly...toys are fun to play with...what's the harm in having happy kids? I know that on :love: date night :love: if Angie gives me something to play with after our dinner I am very happy :)

.... I never eat at McD's - their food is gross.....

Have you tried the double cheeseburger?...it's to die for...

And as far as anyone losing their job over no more toys - I'm pretty sure that they're children in a 3rd world country - maybe it's for the best.

The poor kids make $.30 a day and you want to take that away?.....:o

eclipse
05-02-2010, 01:37 PM
I think it's ridiculous, personally.

milliondollarbbw
05-02-2010, 04:35 PM

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/apr/27/california-county-trims-toys-in-meals-to-cut-fat/

If people move because of happy meals, well, I don't know what that would really represent deep down.

I understand the fear of big government.

I also understand that a lot of fast food is very unhealthy for children.

I think the point of banning the toys is similar to the banning of the tobacco company giving youth centered ads and promo gifts for cigarettes---just something to NOT encourage young people to ask their parents for unhealthy food.

I would be happy with perhaps making legislation that food that is kid focused be actually HEALTHY. that is what I would focus on more than the toy issue....maybe somehow make the kid happy meal a smaller hamburger or cheeseburger---right now, it is the same size as the regular hamburger or cheese burger. Or make it a point that healthier fast food options be offered to children---more salads. I like the fact that parents can get apple wedges and milk, rather than soda and fries.

Personally, I am more concerned with meat quality than the toy issue. I think that if I have children, I would want to wait until a certain age before they can have fast food---just because of issues regarding where our meat is coming from, and the quality of it. In the meantime, I would make burgers myself out of turkey burgers or ground meat where I really know the source.

EZMONEY
05-02-2010, 09:23 PM
....If people move because of happy meals, well, I don't know what that would really represent deep down.

I'm not sure either but I do know I could never move from my house...I have 2 In N Out Burgers within 5 miles of me...of course I go only 1-2 times a year but having that security is like having the best "binky" on the market!

I am pretty sure all of us are going to feel the fear of big government real soon...in fact......I'll stop here because of our policy of no politics....;)

MissKoo
05-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Exactly...toys are fun to play with...what's the harm in having happy kids? I know that on :love: date night :love: if Angie gives me something to play with after our dinner I am very happy :)

The poor kids make $.30 a day and you want to take that away?.....:o

Please do not miscontrue my meaning, here. I'm just offering the rambling of my marbles in a gesture of supreme silliness and a little bit of the pain meds I just took.

Okay . . . so, I get it.

Have toys in meals that are tied in with movies the kids have just seen because they'll want it even more and it isn't like all the fast food corporations and the movies studios are even getting anything out of this they just want kids to be happy. Even the kids making .30, right?

EZMONEY
05-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Please do not miscontrue my meaning, here. I'm just offering the rambling of my marbles in a gesture of supreme silliness and a little bit of the pain meds I just took.

Okay . . . so, I get it.

Have toys in meals that are tied in with movies the kids have just seen because they'll want it even more and it isn't like all the fast food corporations and the movies studios are even getting anything out of this they just want kids to be happy. Even the kids making .30, right?

:hug: All I have to say at the moment is your puppy looks just like my Benji...the dog I had many years ago :)

alyssarof2012
05-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I think that taking the toy out is a good thing.. If they stopped giving toys, a lot of kids wouldn't want the food (like mine). Therefore, parents would have no reason to feed their kid such unhealthy food. My son wouldn't even mention a happy meal if it weren't for the toy.

But I just started this healthy living thing for me and my son. So we haven't had McDonalds in like 2 weeks.

MissKoo
05-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey EZ,

Very cool! Gotta love a lab! She'll be five months old this week.

EZMONEY
05-02-2010, 11:54 PM

But I just started this healthy living thing for me and my son. So we haven't had McDonalds in like 2 weeks.

OUTSTANDING :carrot:

Hey EZ,

Very cool! Gotta love a lab! She'll be five months old this week.

My Benji was given to me as a puppy by my high school girlfriend ....she was told he was part black lab and part german shepherd...he always looked like a puppy...like a minature lab if there was such a thing...even at 12 people thought he was a puppy.

drake3272004
05-03-2010, 12:10 AM
If people move because of happy meals, well, I don't know what that would really represent deep down.
I also understand that a lot of fast food is very unhealthy for children.
I think the point of banning the toys is similar to the banning of the tobacco company giving youth centered ads and promo gifts for cigarettes---just something to NOT encourage young people to ask their parents for unhealthy food.
I would be happy with perhaps making legislation that food that is kid focused be actually HEALTHY. that is what I would focus on more than the toy issue....maybe somehow make the kid happy meal a smaller hamburger or cheeseburger---right now, it is the same size as the regular hamburger or cheese burger. Or make it a point that healthier fast food options be offered to children---more salads. I like the fact that parents can get apple wedges and milk, rather than soda and fries.
Personally, I am more concerned with meat quality than the toy issue. I think that if I have children, I would want to wait until a certain age before they can have fast food---just because of issues regarding where our meat is coming from, and the quality of it. In the meantime, I would make burgers myself out of turkey burgers or ground meat where I really know the source.

What is truely sad...the food that is served in schools. Not much better than some of these fast food joints.

As far as the toy issue...parents are the ones that need to be held accountable for what their children eat. My kids didn't get the happy meals because of the toy, usually it was a special outing on a rare occasion (now even more rare since we live about 40 miles from the closest fast food chain) not because a cool toy was offered.
And my kids don't eat school food either.

ennay
05-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Lol...the toy is the healthiest thing in the meal....and they are taking out the toy? Funny stuff.

Exactly. I rarely get my kids a toy (usually if we go they split a 10 pc nugget and apples and we all 3 share 1 small fry. Much cheaper) but occasionally I do and sometimes they play with those more than any other toys they have.

I pick and choose. Right now I would get them one because they have been playing at being the dragons from HTTYD and running all over the house. That toy promotes play!

I think the law is stupid. You want to ban marketing meals with crappy nutrition to kids that is one thing, but what exactly is removing the toy going to accomplish. Nothing.

ennay
05-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Besides....look how cute my kids look sharing a water at McD's after playing on the play structure for 90 minutes

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs340.ash1/29137_1360710431334_1638775440_883833_543885_n.jpg

If you want legislation that will stop me from taking my kids to McD's ban the play structures. That's what gets me there. Rainy day exercise vs. saturated fat....

Katieee
05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
My mom and I were talking about this and she said I didn't care about the toys at all unless it was something special.

drake3272004
05-03-2010, 11:56 PM
If you want legislation that will stop me from taking my kids to McD's ban the play structures. That's what gets me there. Rainy day exercise vs. saturated fat....

Good gods I hope that is not next!!! With the healthier options and the playland, that's all some of the kids around here have to look foward to on our long bitter cold winters up here.

Renwomin
05-04-2010, 02:54 AM
I don't think I have read in the thread yet that what is being proposed is no toys or promo items in kids meals that don't meet nutritional guidelines. If the fast food joints start serving healthier food to kids then they still can include the promos!

The base problem is that restaurant meals for kids (not just fast food) typically have way too many calories and junk in them. Families are eating out more and more and kids in general are getting more and more overweight. As many of us know becoming overweight as a child often leads to weight struggles throughout their life. The cases of juvenile diabetes have been increasing every year.

Sadly it isn't just restaurant food to blame, the processed junk that is being fed to school kids all over this country, some provided by the USDA is deplorable. So as the government is pointing the finger at restaurants they really need to clean up their own act!

Viva la Food Revolution (http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution)!

milliondollarbbw
05-04-2010, 03:10 AM
I agree that a parent has a right to buy their kid what they want.

I also agree that when time is short, money is tight, nerves are frayed, some parents turn to fast food more often than is healthy.

I agree that the toy itself isn't an inherently bad thing.

I also agree that I am worried about the beef, and would not want my kids getting fast food until they are past a certain age (at least the hamburger options) because of my worries about where the beef is coming from, and how we get it and how it is slaughtered, etc. How many cows did that one tiny burger come from? What is being used in the meat to stop bacteria from growing? (anyone else see food inc?). Is there more breading in the chicken nugget than chicken itself?

Also, the kids want the toys because of the ads and how they are conditioned to equate the golden arches with grimace and all of that. wasn't there a study that more kids know about the mcdonald's logo versus the cross? (and no, it isn't a religious issue, just saying that impact of big companies on our kids developing minds and popular culture).

Maybe the legislation could be more focused on making food geared towards children meet certain standards. I don't care so much about the toy if the health aspect of the child's meal is meeting good guidelines. Right now, even with the apples or the low-fat milk, the burger itself is usually a bit higher in calories than many parents would approve of. Let alone the ketchup and cheese.....don't even get me started on the ketchup! :) I have a friend who has a lot of children in her family, and she has this huge almost industrial size of ketchup.

But maybe something could be done about the constant advertising during cartoon primetime on saturday mornings (oh, every cereal I ever loved I usually saw on tv first) or after school?

Viviane
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
milliondollarbbw, I would "fan" you if this forum had it!! You took the words out of my mouth.

It's not the toy that the issue, it's the fact that the toy is used as a lure to buy nasty fast food. Anecdotal stories that people didn't want the happy meal because of the toy are fine-- maybe you were smarter than the average kid or less manipulated by advertising. But, McDonald's wouldn't put toys in HMs unless it translated into an increased volume in business. The added bonus is building a McD's habit in the youngest consumers possible that'll be lifelong. I think it was kuchick that mentioned Hot Wheels are $1, sounds like a good alternative. Or...is it such a bad thing for a kid to eat lunch without getting a toy? ;)

milliondollarbbw
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
milliondollarbbw, I would "fan" you if this forum had it!! You took the words out of my mouth.

It's not the toy that the issue, it's the fact that the toy is used as a lure to buy nasty fast food. Anecdotal stories that people didn't want the happy meal because of the toy are fine-- maybe you were smarter than the average kid or less manipulated by advertising. But, McDonald's wouldn't put toys in HMs unless it translated into an increased volume in business. The added bonus is building a McD's habit in the youngest consumers possible that'll be lifelong. I think it was kuchick that mentioned Hot Wheels are $1, sounds like a good alternative. Or...is it such a bad thing for a kid to eat lunch without getting a toy? ;)

Ha! When I read the fan comment, I thought I had done something wrong! I didn't know what you meant at first. :) :dizzy:

I agree with you, and I also understand the whole nostalgia aspect. I remember fondly as a kid getting real ice cream after school....but it is more about what the memory represents than the actual food, ya know?

Toys or no toys is not an issue for me, just make the food healthier. :)

I mean, how many of us, adults, have that urge for a specific food? You don't want a real home made burger, you want a specific McDonald's double cheeseburger with those little onions. ;) they are putting in brand loyalty at an early age with the toys, I feel. As an adult you don't want the toy (though I did get sucked into that whole stuffed animal craze---what were they called?), but you still want the gooey cheese.

EZMONEY
05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
milliondollarbbw.... But, McDonald's wouldn't put toys in HMs unless it translated into an increased volume in business....

What's the matter with business making $$$?...Isn't our country one of freedom of choice?...to choose good or bad as we wish...and suffer the rewards or consequences as they come?

Viviane
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
What's the matter with business making $$$?...Isn't our country one of freedom of choice?...to choose good or bad as we wish...and suffer the rewards or consequences as they come?

My comment had nothing to do with capitalism or any judgment thereof. (In fact, I have been pretty careful to avoid injecting politics into the discussion so I wouldn't violate forum rules and I will continue to avoid doing so, despite your loaded question.) What I said was that, regardless of the personal stories in this thread about people not getting HMs for the toys/not liking the toys, McDonald's includes them in the meals for a very specific reason. The toys boost their bottomline. And, yes, businesses make decisions based on profit because that is their purpose.