Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #1  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Default Cold Realization of Facts

That's the best way I can describe the conversation I just had with my osteopath. He said it's a flat miracle that I'm not alot worse off health-wise than I am. Which I knew already. Then he said the one thing no other doctor had ever said, even seven years ago {the last time I was at this weight} when I was asking my then-ob/gyn/family doc for help getting the weight off that I had gained over a year on the depo shot. "You have to loose a hundred pounds if you want to see your kids grow up. There's no other way around it. You have to at the very least get to the mid range. Overweight classification for you would be 169 pounds, but even then you're cheating yourself and your kids."

Yikes. I knew, no doubts about it, that it had gotten bad again. And this time no shots or anything else other than a deep depression and lack of desire to do anything for myself is to blame. I let the stress and the pain get to me. I could have gotten a prescription for wellbutrin with a phone call, I've done it before. But I wanted to get through my husband's deployment and the subsequent year of weekly, and frequently multiple weekly trips to the veterans hospital on my own. My pride cost me all the progress I had made from 2004-2006, and puts me back to square one. And according to my doctor, square one is alot farther from the success point than I originally thought.

So. Here I am. I have never had to consider or even tried to fathom 100 pounds of loss. Any thoughts or advice, links {3FC links of course } would be more than welcome. I'm at my parents getting ready to head home but I'll be logging in from home later tonight to read through this sub forum and answer anything that might get posted to this thread.

If you read this far thank you, and bless your eyes for not giving up on all this print.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

One pound at a time? I'm in the same neighborhood as you are, though my children are grown. I think we just have to keep at it until it gets better, then keep at it enough so it doesn't get bad again. Hugs to you.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

My advice is to never give up. It might take awhile, but the time will pass anyway. May as well be thinner at the end of it
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the world of people whose serious effort at weight loss begins after a terrifying conversation with their doctor.

I am one of them.

You can do this.

One way to start is not to look that full 100 pounds fully in the face. Not yet. Others have written here about being unable to lose 100 pounds, but being able to lose 10 pounds 10 times. Break it down into baby steps. For myself, I went even further than the idea of losing 10 pounds. My own rule was that the number just had to be lower each time I got on the scale. Just a little less, just a little less. (Think of that "one less" commercial for cervical cancer vaccinations. In my mind, it was like that. "One less pound." As long as it was a little less, I'd take it & be thankful, & keep working at it.)

The other thing you're going to need is patience. This won't happen fast. Will you be okay if you can lose it all, but if it takes time? This is what 3FC is for, to talk to you while you're working on it & as the results slowly start showing & you have actual physical evidence to encourage yourself to keep going.

Again, you can do this. You have the motivation & the desire. That's important for a good beginning.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #5  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Hey, we are right here with you! I couldn't even admit to myself a while back that, yes, I need to lose 100 pounds! I weigh twice what my sister weighs. The seat belt in my car suddenly got too short (couldn't be me, could it?)

I'm certainly going for the goal but it is a 'today' thing for me. Today I'm eating healthy and on plan. I don't weigh every day because that's pure torture (other folks like to do this - to each her own). I've lost twenty pounds so far and that is really great. I am more concerned about making today count.

I am struggling with back pain that gets severe sometimes. I can't exercise as often as I'd like. I'm still making progress, tho! Posting here and reading others' posts helps so much. I journal food and blog, also - even though I keep my blog private! It's kinda like a diary.

So, start right now! Lose one pound, then repeat! Keep going until to get to a place you want to be! No sarcasm intended - this is exactly how I see it.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

As someone that started out with more than 150 lbs to lose, I can totally relate. I was in total denial about my size, and about the fact that I had let myself get to the weight I had. It's quite sobering when it starts sinking in !

I try not to look at the whole picture, as it's quite overwhelming to think about how far I have to go. I am trying to focus on each day and what I can do to get to where I want to be.

There is lots of great support here, and lots of help and advice to get you going, keep you going, and help you up when you fall.

I would highly recommend finding one of the sub forums that are specific to your needs and goals .. such as 100 lb, or 300+, or for whatever plan you may be following, or if you're going to calorie count.

Best of luck to you in this journey. You can do this!

Last edited by ruby2sday; 04-27-2010 at 06:32 PM.
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

You are in the right place.

Every journey begins with the first step.

As others have suggested, take it one step and one day at a time.

Receive from, and give back to, the site.

And, finally, don't quit. No matter what. Don't quit.

Best wishes to you, mkat!

Last edited by beth4365; 04-27-2010 at 07:26 PM.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

mkat - those are some scary words from the doctor.

It all starts with one step. I've always had in my signature..."I can't lose 100 pounds.., maybe I can lose 5 pounds 20 times"...

Use your doctor's words as motivation to get you started....then, you must decide that it's time to make a life change..not, just a diet. My advice is plan, plan, and plan some more. Post here at 3fc alot.

Folks here are so helpful, wise, and supportive.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-27-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #9  
Transforming through God

Welcome

Absolutely take it one step at a time. Set mini-goals. Staring 100+lbs in the face can be scary! My ticker is even set to 199 as my goal for now (because my real goal is too intimidating for me!). I set my goals very small and set myself up for success.

I remember than ANY MONTH OR YEAR I begin weighing less than the last is a success. Even if you lose 3lbs a month, that is success. Celebrate *any* success and reach higher.

Take it a few pounds at a time. Rededicate yourself to your journey daily. If you slip, get right back up and start at the next meal.

Be moderate. Set realistic goals. Don't be extreme. Focus on health.

Good luck, you can do it!
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 326/ticker/200

Height: 5'6

take it one day at a time. believe in yourself. Every day may not be perfect but it can better than a yesterday.
melNco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

I have to agree with what others have said about not focusing on the entire 100lbs. at once. You are going to have to make changes that you can stick with for a lifetime. Did your doctor offer a referal to a registered dietician? A RD can help you decide how many calories you need per day, and help with food choices, etc. Take it moment by moment. The moments add up to hours, the hours to days, the days to weeks, etc. You can do this.
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I just want to agree with everyone else. Don't look at the 100 pounds. Look at today. What do I need to do today? Let tomorrow take care of itself. You can do this!!!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #13  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

It is what it is. But every journey begins with the first step.

Time will pass regardless what you do, so you may as well be working on it. You are certainly not alone here!

GL!
A
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #14  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Welcome to the world of people whose serious effort at weight loss begins after a terrifying conversation with their doctor.

I am one of them.

You can do this.

One way to start is not to look that full 100 pounds fully in the face. Not yet. Others have written here about being unable to lose 100 pounds, but being able to lose 10 pounds 10 times. Break it down into baby steps. For myself, I went even further than the idea of losing 10 pounds. My own rule was that the number just had to be lower each time I got on the scale. Just a little less, just a little less. (Think of that "one less" commercial for cervical cancer vaccinations. In my mind, it was like that. "One less pound." As long as it was a little less, I'd take it & be thankful, & keep working at it.)

The other thing you're going to need is patience. This won't happen fast. Will you be okay if you can lose it all, but if it takes time? This is what 3FC is for, to talk to you while you're working on it & as the results slowly start showing & you have actual physical evidence to encourage yourself to keep going.

Again, you can do this. You have the motivation & the desire. That's important for a good beginning.
Thanks so much. I don't know what it is about this leg of my journey, but even before Sam said those words {we grew up together, I don't normally call doctors by their first name} something about seeing those #'s on the scale again and not being in a sleeping nightmare really kicked me in the tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
My advice is to never give up. It might take awhile, but the time will pass anyway. May as well be thinner at the end of it
Very true. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby2sday View Post
As someone that started out with more than 150 lbs to lose, I can totally relate. I was in total denial about my size, and about the fact that I had let myself get to the weight I had. It's quite sobering when it starts sinking in !

I try not to look at the whole picture, as it's quite overwhelming to think about how far I have to go. I am trying to focus on each day and what I can do to get to where I want to be.

There is lots of great support here, and lots of help and advice to get you going, keep you going, and help you up when you fall.

I would highly recommend finding one of the sub forums that are specific to your needs and goals .. such as 100 lb, or 300+, or for whatever plan you may be following, or if you're going to calorie count.

Best of luck to you in this journey. You can do this!
Thanks. Question- Is this not the right forum for 100 pound losses ? It's the only one that shows up on new posts for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth4365 View Post
You are in the right place.

Every journey begins with the first step.

As others have suggested, take it one step and one day at a time.

Receive from, and give back to, the site.

And, finally, don't quit. No matter what. Don't quit.

Best wishes to you, mkat!
Thank you.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #15  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

When I thought of the whole 100 I too felt so overwhelmed. Like many others I too broke it down into smaller amounts. I rewarded myself as well for every ten pounds lost with something small and inexpensive to keep myself going.

Also, you will start to reap some health benefits long before you reach your actual goal. I always looked at it as anything I lost was to my advantage.

I hope that things are going better for your husband; it sounds like it must have been a very stressful year.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote