Weight Loss Support - How can you tell when you're bloated?

pink sparkle
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I know this may sound like a dumb question...but, hey, I really want to know. How do you know gals know when you're bloated?

JadeBlue14
04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
For me, I always know when I'm retaining water because my eyelids will feel puffy. I'll also generally feel not myself. Like I feel a little blah, if that makes sense. And I notice I'll always be bloated after I eat popcorn, or drink alcohol. It happens other times, too, but those are the big ones.
Hope this helps!

dumplingtype
04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
it's general feeling of bloat--feeling loggy when I exert myself from anything. I lose the pep in my step and even a simple walk seems like one, giant effort.

ankles swell, shoes don't fit as loosely, even retention in my fingers.

Eliana
04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Ah, I thought I was the only woman in the world who didn't know! :rofl: I'm not a normal woman...no mood swings, no bloating, no weight fluctuation with TOM. Sometimes I think I have weight fluctuation, but usually it's just coincidence.

jennyplain
04-27-2010, 12:49 PM
I can tell by how my fingers fit around my wrist - if I'm bloated, they don't touch, if I'm not, they touch or I can even get a little overlap on really good days.

roxmysox
04-27-2010, 12:54 PM
I feel... sausage-y. Fingers feel full and icky, my cheeks feel full and I just generally feel gross all over. I feel... stuffed. (hehe? but I'm serious)

saef
04-27-2010, 01:04 PM
My feet are the most reliable indicators, particularly my ankles & the tops of my feet where all the veins & tendons are visible. My ankle bones become somewhat obscured when I'm bloated. I press my thumb around them & see whether his leaves a dent & how quickly the dent disappears after the pressure is removed.

MyBestYear
04-27-2010, 01:07 PM
I know I am bloated or retaining water when my wedding ring feels a bit snug... that is my big indicator (and a great comfort when the scale reflects a "gain")... because no one can gain that much fat in their ring finger literally overnight lol...

HokieLoki
04-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I also feel it in my fingers and the backs of my hands. I can see it in my cheeks and around my eyes.

sotypical
04-27-2010, 01:29 PM
For me, I always know when I'm retaining water because my eyelids will feel puffy. I'll also generally feel not myself. Like I feel a little blah, if that makes sense. And I notice I'll always be bloated after I eat popcorn, or drink alcohol. It happens other times, too, but those are the big ones.
Hope this helps!

DITTO! My eyelids don't feel puffy - but I just feel BLAH all over and my stomach feels like its sticking it out more then normal.
what is it about popcorn?

saef
04-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm revisiting your question. What do you mean by "bloated"?

I've heard "bloated" used in TV commercials, where it seems to be a polite euphemism for having gas or being constipated or otherwise having digestive issues.

When I responded to you, I took you to mean "water retention," specifically, rather than any gastrointestinal distress.

Is that what you meant?

lauralyn
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
My pants fit a bit snugger andI also go by how my rings are fitting. When there is no water retention my engagement ring can spin almost completely around my finger with one tap from me. When I tap and it barely moves or only goes 1/2 way then I know I am retaining....yeah I am a bit strange lol

pink sparkle
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks! Guess this feeling I'm having is bloating! Yuck. I feel like I'm about three months pregnant and my ring is fitting tight, whereas a week ago it was so loose I thought taping it up. Saef, yes, I meant bloating as in water retention, not the gas issues. Thankfully I'm not dealing with that right now. LOL.

duckyyellowfeet
04-27-2010, 02:54 PM
My rings become super tight. In addition, my pants feel tighter in the tummy area.

ars
04-27-2010, 03:42 PM
I can tell by how my fingers fit around my wrist - if I'm bloated, they don't touch, if I'm not, they touch or I can even get a little overlap on really good days.

That's funny, I do the same thing! When I am bloated my wrists seem a lot larger than when I'm not. I also feel really blah.

mom4life
04-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I can't physically tell but I knew it had to be it when I couldn't shake 2 lbs I gained and it just so happened to be a week or two before my period.

pink sparkle
04-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Aah, thanks, mom4life. I just looked at the calendar and see I'm a little under a week away from TOM. That explains it. How could I forget that?

westernsoutherngirl
04-28-2010, 12:40 AM
For me, pants are tight, face is puffy and boobs are tender!

JadeBlue14
04-28-2010, 12:43 AM
sotypical there's something about the salt and butter content in popcorn that is like kryptonite to me. Which is a shame, because I love popcorn. But I know whenever I eat it, I should expect to see a 2 pound jump in the scale the next day.

mkendrick
04-28-2010, 01:24 AM
My belly feels distended. It's like I feel full even hours after eating. Like I can't "suck it in."

I also have the sluggish heavy weighed down feeling.

I never used to know what my bloated feeling was. I also didn't know what a sugar rush was or a caffeine buzz was or feeling like death after eating fast food. I heard people talk about that stuff, but I had never experienced it. Now that I pay attention to what I eat, I'm much more aware of the affects on my body. I used to eat so much junk that I never let my body detox from all that, I didn't know any different.

Glory87
04-28-2010, 02:55 AM
I never felt bloated until I lost weight. I guess bloat just got lost in my extra weight? Now, I can see when my belly is bloated and my rings get tight.

srmb60
04-28-2010, 05:17 AM
I was thinking along the lines of what saef said.

For me these are two different things. I retain fluid after eating salty and/or processed foods. Puffy hands, face, eyelids.

My abdomen bloats when I eat unwisely. For me that's grains, potatoes, ice cream ... That's like balloon belly with gas I can't get rid of :o My waist measurement actually gets inches bigger and I feel uncomfortable under my ribs.

JulieJ08
04-28-2010, 11:38 PM
I never felt bloated until I lost weight. I guess bloat just got lost in my extra weight? Now, I can see when my belly is bloated and my rings get tight.

LOL, ditto.