Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Smile New Habits having a Positive Affect on Others

Our new lifestyle is having a wonderful effect on ourselves, but in the process we are touching others lives especially those close to us.

How has your weight loss journey positively affecting others in your life?
Are they losing weight, eating healthier, exercising more?
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

My DH has drastically cut down his soda consumption and lost 6 lbs. Huge step for him. He's also trying to cut way back on fast food. I kind of asked him to do this because I want us to set good examples for our son.

I've also inspired a friend to join WW. I don't do WW, but she saw my progress and wanted the same for herself. She said I was her inspiration. That was really meaningful to me.

I hope to eventually get my story published in a magazine as a success story so I can inspire others they way they inspired me.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

when I lost 35 lbs without anyone seeing me during that time then later saw the end result, I think that's when it made a big impact on my friends. Now that I'm pregnant and my weight loss is on hold, I'm on the side lines watching them (friends and those who were acting jealous of my weight loss) making some awesome changes. I'm truly happy for them. Many of these girls were in the same boat as I was...Got married gained some weight then gained extra weight after having their children. I think losing the weight I did proved it was possible to lose that weight you always wanted to lose. I tried to motivate some to do the same but I think since I was already ahead of the game they weren't as motivated till a couple girls decided to rally some together to do a group thing out of it.....it seems to be working.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #4  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I'm hoping to get my younger brother to start this with me. I don't want to force him
but he needs to do a little more than just playing games all day. Even a walk with me would be lovely.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Temporarily, it did affect some of my coworkers. But they recovered soon afterward & went back to their old ways.

But I'm still the person who gets taken aside privately (often in the ladies' room, while we're washing our hands & checking our hair) & asked weight loss questions. Not that they ever do what I say worked for me. But they do ask.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

lol saef! I get this too from time to time- and no one ever listens it seems

Great topic!

Since I've started my husband and sister eat so much healthier. It was GREAT last night seeing the whole family gobble down homemade burgers on wheat beans with a side of sweet potato fries, then watermelon for dessert (a treat since we rarely have watermelon). Made me feel good- specially cuz my hubby grew up as a meat and potatoes kind of guy.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #7  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

I have a couple of lovely friends that say they have been inspired by my 20 pound loss.They are both trying to lose and I am sure they will reach their goals, because in the past they have been successful at keeping their weight on track. I'm encouraging them whenever they bring it up.

In our group of friends, there are a couple of ladies that are overweight. I notice that no one mentions weight loss when they are present for fear of making them feel uncomfortable. We love them no matter what they weigh, but I must admit that I am concerned about their health. One is having problems with their legs and has difficulty walking. I know enough about weight loss to know that it has to be inner-motivated to work, therefore, I would never say anything her, no matter how concerned I am.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #8  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I hop I can influence those closest to me in a positive way, but I'm not holding my breath.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #9  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

My husband loses weight when I do--about 80 pounds so far for him as well. Mostly this is because he imitates whatever I am doing. I stopped consuming sugar, then so did he. I started working out, then so did he. I make sure I get plenty of sleep, then so does he (mostly because he knows if he wants the possibility of nookie, he has to come to bed at the same time as me ).

My kids are affected as well, but none of them really have a weight problem. (One is too skinny, one is just right, one is a little chubby but he'll grow out of it.) We do work on encouraging them to eat more veggies and protein, though, and to stay away from sugar--and they are somewhat receptive to that.

That's about as far as my influence really seems to extend.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #10  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
I make sure I get plenty of sleep, then so does he (mostly because he knows if he wants the possibility of nookie, he has to come to bed at the same time as me ).
What? You mean you both have to be in the bed, awake, at the same time for something to happen!?? THAT's what we've been missing!!! /grumble

(sorry, off-topic, but a rather annoying subject)
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

My SO is losing weight as well from reducing the amount he eats though he isn't as restrictive on what he eats. I'm hoping that the wider variety of fresh vegetables and fruit we have been buying helps him to be even healthier.

My best friend and I both have done diet modification and it does really help to have a weight loss buddy even if she is an hour and a half away!

I think it is just really encouraging to see that when we make a positive change in our life how it not only affects us but it also ripples out to other people and their positive changes ripple out to more people.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #12  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
/grumble
I'm rather matter-of-fact about communicating to him about it: "Sweetie, I'm going to brush my teeth and wash my face. I expect I will be in bed in about 10 minutes. I will be asleep about 5 minutes after that, if you are not there by that point. I do hope you make it. See ya."
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #13  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

One of my coworkers is asking about calorie counting and trying to implement it in her life. She has had a hard time losing baby weight (I'd say 3 years definitely translates into a hard time), and has been inspired by my loss of 44 pounds so far. It makes me happy that other people are thinking about their health because I'm thinking about mine. I only hope I can help her along the way. I haven't denied myself anything. I've only equipped myself with the tools to make the right choices. There are no bad foods. There is portion control.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #14  

I've been a positive on my boyfriend. He's eating much healthier and also eating several meals a day instead of one HUGE one. I occasionally give him a hard time over something he's eating if it's really bad, but for the most part I leave him alone. He's started making changes on his own and I think that's even better than me nagging him! He's lost a lot of weight and he looks great!
My mom has also totally overhauled her habits. She's eating healthy and started exercising regularly. I'm so proud of both of them!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #15  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Since I started working out and eating right, my mother, three sisters, my father and my grandmother are all working out and eating better. What a great support system to have that many of my family members all on track together! I don't live with my family, but hearing about my weight goals and nutrition has inspired them to clean up their own acts.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote