Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default I'm a work in progress

My highest weight was 258 a year ago.

2009 was a rough year for me. I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer.
I had surgery and then 5 months of chemo treatments. They give you steriods along with the drugs now so my weight remained the same and I puffed up .

My surgery did make me lose about 20 lbs and allowed me to see my belly for how bad it really is.

Anyway I'm at 233 now. I'm buying the diets to go meals but that is not making me lose weight so Im browsing for another structured way of eating.

THe oncologist wants me to lose weight. Fat cells create estrogen and my tumors tested positive for estrogen. So this is more important then ever for my well being.

So here I am hoping to get some good ideas from you all. HI!
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you could look into medifast or nutrisystem? That is if finding time to cook is a bit hard for you.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'11"

Vegetables vegetables vegetables. The meals to go may be high in sodium. Some studies have found this to be a deterant in weight loss.
ma26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't have much in the way of advice for grab and go type meals. I started out doing Lean Cuisines, but I quickly changed over to whole foods and am amazed at how much better I feel for it.

But welcome, welcome, welcome! This is a great group to help you do this! I'm so amazed to hear your story and the courage you have to get this done! Every pound lost does the body good.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/207.2/126

Height: 5'4.5

My mother had breast cancer too. She was over 300 pounds most of her life, but when she was diagnosed she was probably down to 200 from having gastric bypass. It's been 8 years and she's been cancer free, and I'm prone to think that her having less estrogen producing fat cells at her current weight of 150 helps. Good luck on this weight loss journey.
As for meals, I restarted working out and eating well on March 20, and I've lost 17 pounds from cooking my own healthier meals with the help of Weight Watchers New Cookbook and exercise. I still splurge like I did yesterday on Mexican. I've never tried the delivered meals, though, because I enjoy cooking my own meals.
squishysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #6  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I have no great ideas but do want to say you really have been through a lot. I am impressed with your courage and determination to keep moving forward and to get healthy despite a serious health issue. Big hugs to you!!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Hi 2Bees -

First, best to you on your continuing recovery!!

I'm not too familiar with diet to go - do they have counselors that you work with or do you simply buy the food? If they do provide some support, I'd talk to them about why you aren't losing (assuming you aren't having extra food besides the plan food?). Maybe they can suggest some tweaks to help it work better for you.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to 3FC! Very glad you found your way to us.

I don't know much about the meals to go thing. But if you are looking for advice and food ideas, please tell us about your plan (calorie counting, low fat, low carb, etc.) and we can definitely give you ideas. We have ladies from all over, doing all sorts of plans, and we love encouraging others!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #9  
Buddha Shaped

S/C/G: 307/307/199

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I hope your recovery continues to go well!

As for food, I am a HUGE proponent of whole foods. I'm convinced that it's not only fats that contribute to our increasingly poor health, but it's all the chemicals and additives in our processed foods. I don't know how much cooking you will feel like doing during your recovery, but you might want to look into organic prepared meals like Amy's, Arrowhead Mills, Cliff, Eden, Erewhon, Ezekiel, Greens Brand, Healthy Valley, Horizon, Kashi, Luna, Nature's Path, and Newman's Own. There are even ways you can order the groceries you want online and have them delivered.

Again, I wish you the best of luck!
DuckyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #10  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I have a friend that has been losing steadily with Jenny Craig.

Myself I have relied on calorie counting and label reading.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #11  

Height: 5'3

Thanks for the well wishes and tips-It's nice to find a group of positive people.

I was just justifiying my 100 lbs to lose goal. I'm really looking forward to getting a ticker that tracks my losses and am going to make it 100lbs long and show that I'm on my way. I plan to stick around on this forum for a while.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #12  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I wanted to pass on my well wishes to you, too. We have breast cancer in my family - one relative had a double mastectomy - and we know how hard it is.

I don't have good advice either; I'm a whole-foods type for the most part and also do much of my own cooking. Or my partner does, sometimes; we both cook, but he's better at it.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #13  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Breast cancer runs in my family and has hit me pretty hard personally. So sorry for all you have gone through .

I don't have much experience with the structured eating plans, but that way does work for some people. We all have to find what works best for us. One thing you could do is pre-make your own healthy dinners and freeze them.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote