Old 04-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Fat deficit in foods?

So I've been calorie counting off and on for months, though I've been ON TRACK for over a month now, counting daily. Pretty pleased with that. I'm using SparkPeople and I love love love it.

I've also done great cutting out foods that are just not nutritionally worthy. Sodas. Fast food. Sugary snacks.

But I'm noticing that I'm coming under my recommended amount of fat. I know you need fat in your diet to be healthy, but I'm not sure which foods to get it from. I've been loving my fruits and veggies but no fat there... Whole grains... no fat. I'm not a vegetarian, but I rarely eat anything other than fish. The days that I have chicken I do better with fat intake, but I just don't enjoy meat every day. I get enough protein through beans, and some dairy, and whole grains. I like eggs, but I am also trying to watch my cholesterol level.

I mean... my oatmeal is my main source of fat intake now, and that is only 3g per serving. I usually throw a couple string cheese snacks in during the day, and that is only 2g per serving. Today I have my meals planned out and I'm coming up with 15g of fat, when it says the recommended for my intake is 37-64.

I'm enjoying my healthy lifestyle and I don't feel like I'm skimping on food. Calorie counting is easy and very affirming because I know that if I keep it up I WILL lose the weight, and it's something that I could easily do to maintain. I just changed the types of things I'm eating, and I'm feeling better, clearer skin, more energy...

Any suggestions for foods with fat?
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Well fat is important for body function so I'd recommend looking at things like nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, etc. I tend to have a low fat intake and also have to remember to add in some healthy fats while I'm at it.

60 grams seems like a lot to me and I don't get that high but 30ish grams is where I usually am at.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

avocado is my favorite. And I add olive oil.
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Three of my favorite fat sources are avocados, peanut butter and olive oil. They are reasonably low cholesterol foods. I add nuts to my oatmeal (usually 1/2 ounce-ish), peanut butter to just about anything (bananas, celery, a spoon), avocado to my salad or toast, and olive oil to my dressings. Olive oil is my cooking fat. You can also try to eat fattier fish, like salmon.

As you mention, it's good for your body to have some fat so that it can make all the necessary hormones and things it needs and keep your hair and skin in good repair. Some also say that good fats can aid weight loss - I haven't been at this long enough to know if it's true personally. Many vitamins are better absorbed with a little fat.

You can get 10 g of fat for about 90 calories (9 calories/gram of fat), so I think you can work this in pretty easily. I know that I feel more satisfied after eating if I get some fat in my meal.

Really, this is a good problem to have. Good luck!
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #5  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

That is a great question.. mine is usually pretty low too. Daily Plate recommends up to 40g daily. I usually get half that.

So I am with you Everlasting... is it important to get up to 40, or is staying around 20 -25 ok?

I have been trying to eat some sliced almonds or use olive oil. Can't get carried away with either though because it adds up fast... well for me it does anyways
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #6  

I am adding olive oil and nutella to my shopping list today. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I love olive oil and cook with it often- best way to get in my fats And avocado as well- yumm!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortandfluffy View Post
That is a great question.. mine is usually pretty low too. Daily Plate recommends up to 40g daily. I usually get half that.

So I am with you Everlasting... is it important to get up to 40, or is staying around 20 -25 ok?

I have been trying to eat some sliced almonds or use olive oil. Can't get carried away with either though because it adds up fast... well for me it does anyways
From what I've read, the minimum you should get unless directed otherwise by your doctor is 10% of your daily intake. So if you are eating 1500 calories/day, 10% is 150 calories. 150 divided by 9 calories gives you 16g fat. That is really the minimum. I actually usually get about 15% which is closer to 25g/day which works well for me.

Daily plate is trying to get you to a certain percentage which I imagine is around 25%.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #9  
I WILL make it!

S/C/G: 220/186/160

Height: 5'8 ~ 51 years

Watch out for Nutella though, it is loaded with sugar. Natural peanut butter has more protein and fiber, much better choice. Although for an occasional chocolate treat I go for the Nutella.
countryhomeschoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #10  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

Salmon 3 oz for 150ish calories and 15g of yummy healthy fat.
A boiled egg has 5 grams of fat for about 80 calories.
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #11  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

When I first starting dieting, it was all about the fat content of foods. The whole country was crazy about fats, it's all you ever heard. Now, the focus is more holistic: watching calories, fats, carbs and protein for a healthy, well-balanced meal. Since I believe there is some truth to many of the current diet ideals, I combine them all. I eat a low-calorie, low-fat, high-protein, med-carb diet. I am a vegetarian as well. I think cutting out fats is very important, so I stick to a strict 25-32g a day, and I have no trouble reaching that goal.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #12  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

make sure you are taking fish oil/omega's / EFAs (essential fatty acids) supplements..... maybe 1-3 with each meal...each one has a gram of fat....dont forget to count them into your cals for the day! 9 cals/capsule

make sure you are not buying "fat free" dairy products like milk or cottage cheese.....at least go for the Low fat.....remember when they take out the fat, they often replace it with sugar!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

a handful of almonds?
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #14  

I'm going to look into fish oils I think too, thanks for the idea kroyer. My sister has been taking those for years and she says they help her feel better, so maybe there's something to it.