Weight Loss Support - How nice of her... :shrug:

View Full Version : How nice of her... :shrug:

SCraver
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
~sigh~ My supervisor, who knows how hard I have been working at the gym... Who knows how hard I ahve been working at losing weight... Who I am friends with and talk to outside of work... Just bought me a HUGE chocolate chip cookie. :cookie: I measured it... it is OVER 7 inches in diameter. w.t.f.

I am thinking about taking it home, freezing it, and bringing it to my parents house when I visit them next week. I can't think of anyone else I could possibly pass it onto. Everyone I know is trying to eat better/lose weight/etc.

What does everyone else do when they get a "considerate" gift?

Violin Jenn
04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I smile :) and say thank you, I'll take it home and have it after dinner. When I get home, I promptly toss it in the trash.

seagirl
04-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes, throw it in the trash on your way home from work.

Petite Powerhouse
04-26-2010, 01:17 PM
I wait until my coworker or supervisor leaves my office and I promptly throw the cookie away. I do this a lot. I don't like wasting food, but I don't want to eat it and I am not in favor of passing on junk food to others. I won't even give it to my 6', 135 lb. boyfriend whose metabolism seems set on high for life. It goes against my personal stance on health. So in the garbage the cookie goes.

WarMaiden
04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Trash it. Or, if it looks like it's actually tasty (most purchased baked goods really are not at all tasty), then I may save some portion to give to my kids/husband as their nightly treat.

But in general I find that those gimongous chocolate chip cookies are really tasteless and bland, so I'd toss it. I can make yummier and healthier for myself and my family.

SCraver
04-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I ate frosted brownies and oatmeal cookies and cheeseburgers this weekend. I was bad this weekend... but it was because I CHOSE to be bad. I ate things because I REALLY WANTED to eat them... not because someone handed it to me and said "here ya go"! This cookie is not something I have chosen. I do not need to eat it. It would probably just give me heartburn.

AND... when I told her I was going to run a 5k last week, she didn't come over and bash my shins in with a baseball bat... and really where is the difference?

I AM SO ANGRY!

Lol!

motivated chickie
04-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I agree with the others. Trash it as soon as you leave work and before you get home. And feel good doing it.

yoyoma
04-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Sounds like it would work as a frisbee if you can find some place to toss it that the birds would enjoy!

beerab
04-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Seriously how rude! Specially when she knows you are working hard...

I hate wasting food- I'd probably find a skinny guy coworker and ask him if he wants it lol.

sotypical
04-26-2010, 02:12 PM
AND... when I told her I was going to run a 5k last week, she didn't come over and bash my shins in with a baseball bat... and really where is the difference?

I AM SO ANGRY!

She gave you a cookie, she was trying to be nice. Don't eat it. But don't be angry with her either - you can choose not to eat it but you can not control other people actions. Through it away and forget about it. :)

Vixsin
04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree with the others in that I would save it and throw it away as soon as I left the office. I don't like to waste food either, but you have to do what you have to do! Don't hate her for her momentary lapse in good judgement. Some people think it's ok and she may have thought it was an "occassional" treat for you to enjoy. I'm sure she meant well. However blunderous her well meaning was. LOL

Best of luck. :)

Shytowngal
04-26-2010, 02:27 PM
How about being honest with her? Take the cookie back to her and say, thank you for the cookie but it has been tempting me all morning, and I don't want to eat off plan today. I'll be happy to accept any fresh fruit from you in the future though!

If you just trash it, she may continue to bring you things.

canadianwoman
04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
I hate wasting food

It is not food. It is a cookie. Not one bit of nutrition in it. I would toss it on my way home from work.

squishysquirrel
04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Throw it away. Don't let it sit at your house and tempt you.

beerab
04-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Still- someone out there is hungry and could use that cookie- to them it's food... Specially when there are many people out there starving. Maybe it's my strict religious upbringing but throwing away food makes me feel terrible. I rarely have had issues giving away food to someone who wants it.

It's obviously the OP's choice- I don't know how large her work is- but for me- working in a building with 100 people it never takes more than 5 minutes to get rid of something :)

Renwomin
04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
This would totally depend on my relationship with my boss, but I feel it was really inconsiderate of her to do what she did. If she had no idea you were dieting I would understand. Did she give them to a lot of people at your work and just not want to buy something different for you or was this a specific gift for you?

I would like to think I would bring the cookie back to her and say something like, "Thank you so much for the gift. It was really thoughtful of you, but I am dieting and this is something that I won't end up eating. I do appreciate the sentiment but I'm sure there is someone else you could give this to that would love to have it." Then I would set it down next to her.

If you didn't feel comfortable with that then is there a break room or area (out of sight) that you could leave it for others to eat? I'm sure some people would appreciate it and your boss would see that you didn't eat it yourself.

Munchy
04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
She gave you a cookie, she was trying to be nice. Don't eat it. But don't be angry with her either - you can choose not to eat it but you can not control other people actions. Through it away and forget about it. :)

Yep. My entire company knows I eat healthy. In fact, many make fun of me for it - as they are coming into my coworker's office to get candy, they pass me eating carrots and hummus as an afternoon snack.
We tend to do birthday celebrations with cake and/or other food. For our supervisor's birthday, I went out and got pizza and cake. As I always do, I ate my own food for lunch. I don't eat cake. I never liked it, even when I was a fat kid. My coworkers got me a cake for my birthday this year and last year. I cut it and doled out pieces, but didn't eat it. They knew I wouldn't.
I appreciated the gesture. It's not meant to be harmful or mean, it's sweet - but just because it's nice doesn't mean you need to put anything in your body that you don't want to. You could always give the cookie back, telling her how thoughtful it was, but that you really are trying to eat healthier.

mandalinn82
04-26-2010, 03:37 PM
I view food gifts much like some piece of home decor given to you as a gift that doesn't match your style. The equivalent of a non-matching pillow, or a candlestick in a bronze finish when everything else in your house is silver finished. Or, say, a book in a genre you really don't care for. No, it's not the most thoughtful gift, as it doesn't fit in with what you enjoy/use. But I can't imagine being ANGRY over a gift that just isn't a good match for my circumstances/lifestyle/house.

I do the same things with these foods that I do with poor fit gifts. I try to think of someone for which they'll be a good fit (My grandfather, for example, is too thin and has a major sweet tooth, is my cookie candidate)...or I'll donate or throw away the item. I don't have to put the lime green pillow in my earth-toned living room (or eat the cookie!), but I wouldn't assume that the person who bought it for me wanted me to put it out so that I'd look tacky even though we JUST TALKED about how I was redoing my living room in earth tones (OK, sort of a forced example, but you get the idea).

I feel like so many of us put so much work into cleaning up our food environments that we start seeing a cookie as less of a "nice gesture that won't work for me right now" and more a personal assault on our healthy eating habits...an intruder into our safe space brought in by intentional sabotage. In my opinion, it's almost always just a gift, well meant, but that doesn't match to our current choices.

ma26
04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Hmmmmm I would be annoyed also. Maybe say "thank you, that was a nice gesture, but I'm sorry I've worked too hard to eat this. So I'll give it to someone else". I wouldnt have the guts to ask, but I'd wnat to know why she would give it too you knowing your trying to lose weight anyways!

rockinrobin
04-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Still- someone out there is hungry and could use that cookie- to them it's food... Specially when there are many people out there starving. Maybe it's my strict religious upbringing but throwing away food makes me feel terrible. I rarely have had issues giving away food to someone who wants it.

I

And you see, to me throwing these foods into my body makes me feel terrible. TERRIBLE. Me eating that cookie is not going to save any hungry children.

I agree with Mandalinn.

I wouldn't be angry - perhaps a tad annoyed that a better and more suitable gift was not thought of for me. And with all gifts that don't suit my tastes - I get rid of them. If I can't pass it on (totally useless to anyone), than I toss it. There is no reason to further aggravate myself by seeing the unwanted item lying around.

saef
04-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Those enormous pizza-sized cookies are sooo not worth eating, and also usually slightly stale around the edges.

I think you should take it out back behind the building & take some aggression out on it. (Do you have any aggression in you? C'mon. Everyone does.) Smash that sucker to bits. Leave them for the pigeons or the English sparrows or what-have-you.

Amanda spoke the truth in her response:

I feel like so many of us put so much work into cleaning up our food environments that we start seeing a cookie as less of a "nice gesture that won't work for me right now" and more a personal assault on our healthy eating habits...an intruder into our safe space brought in by intentional sabotage. In my opinion, it's almost always just a gift, well meant, but that doesn't match to our current choices.

That's me. Always trying to keep the electric current running in the wire I've strung up around the perimeters of my "safe space." (Also, so none of the cows get out.)

Renwomin
04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
I think you should take it out back behind the building & take some aggression out on it. (Do you have any aggression in you? C'mon. Everyone does.) Smash that sucker to bits. Leave them for the pigeons or the English sparrows or what-have-you.

:rofl:

I wonder how many calories are burned during giant cookie destruction?

SCraver
04-26-2010, 05:17 PM
I view food gifts much like some piece of home decor given to you as a gift that doesn't match your style. The equivalent of a non-matching pillow, or a candlestick in a bronze finish when everything else in your house is silver finished. Or, say, a book in a genre you really don't care for. No, it's not the most thoughtful gift, as it doesn't fit in with what you enjoy/use. But I can't imagine being ANGRY over a gift that just isn't a good match for my circumstances/lifestyle/house.

that was very well said!

I feel I should clarify - I wasn't ACTUALLY angry, mostly just being melodramatic.

My final decision: I ate a piece of it. I am tossing the rest on my way out of work.

rockinrobin
04-26-2010, 05:22 PM
that was very well said!

I feel I should clarify - I wasn't ACTUALLY angry, mostly just being melodramatic.

My final decision: I ate a piece of it. I am tossing the rest on my way out of work.

Ummm, why wait? Toss it now - before any more of it winds up down your throat. Why take the chance?

You don't even have to take it outside. Just crumble it up into cookie dust. No one will know. And you will avoid many wasted calories.

abreezies
04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I threw away a panera bagel that had a total of almost 800 cals last week....I had to throw it away at work because it was my favorite kind and I couldn't chance it hanging around my workspace all day......lol!

mkendrick
04-26-2010, 10:06 PM
It amazes me that we have to talk each other into throwing away calories...purposefully wasting food so we're not at a risk of eating it...when so much of the world's population is starving to death. Sorry, that's kind of a random aside, and I have definitely tossed some food so I didn't eat it. It just crossed my mind as I read this thread.

I agree that she probably wasn't purposefully trying to be rude. I have given friends who I knew were trying to lose weight unhealthy goodies without meaning to do harm. We all need to learn to give gifts and show random acts of kindness in ways other than giving food. We don't need to share/give/eat food to celebrate everything.

Personally, I'd break off a bite-sized chunk, throw the rest away where I can't get it, and then eat the bite. Sure, sacrifice a few calories, but then I can feel satisfied that I got to enjoy it without being at risk of snarfing the rest of it. Or, more likely, after eating that bite you'll realize that it wasn't worth the calories to begin with.

ICUwishing
04-26-2010, 10:21 PM
We have a great spot at work for stuff like that - there's a piece of empty countertop next to the coffee machine. I swear, they fall on it like vultures. I "shared" two huge tins of shortbread cookies that I received from a well-meaning grandma at Christmas - and I even overheard people on cell phones telling employees in the other plant to get over to our building fast. They were gone in 2 hours! Problem solved!

MyBestYear
04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
I dunno, I can see both sides. On one hand, it is a gesture and the person probably didn't realize it would do any harm...

...on the other though, what would people think if the OP was a recovering alcoholic, her supervisor knew she was desperately trying to stay dry, and brought her a 6-pack at lunch? I mean, if she knows you are losing weight and trying to eat healthy and it is important to you, why in the world would she bring you something to sabotage that? It seems.... ... odd.

However, maybe she was just having a moment where she wasn't thinking.

On the 'wasting food' issue, I have no problem wasting food that is not even considered food to me in the first place. Sugar, partially hydrodgenated oils, likely high fructose corn syrup, a chocolate 'like' substance -- all of which most of those types of cookies are made of isn't food. It makes me sad people are hungry and I do what I can to help, but I won't treat my body like a garbage can because I don't want to throw junk in the garbage.

Just my opinion.

Alexandra
04-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I hate throwing away anything edible, but I have no idea where to donate perishables in my area.

Windchime
04-26-2010, 10:54 PM
It is not food. It is a cookie. Not one bit of nutrition in it.

This. I occasionally have to remind myself of this very fact....yes, I want the carrot cake but just because it has the word "carrot" in it, doesn't mean that it has any nutrition or that it's even food. It is a treat, not food.

I would probably either toss it (when my co-worker couldn't see it) or I would take it the the break room unwrap it, and cut it into smaller pieces so my coworkers could each have a piece. If they want.

bacilli
04-27-2010, 07:38 AM
I think sometimes people just don't think. A very good friend of mine once made me dinner, a grilled chicken pasta dish with parmesan cheese. She felt really bad when I didn't eat it, because she'd been so focused on the fact that it had spinach, olives, and chickpeas in it that she forgot I don't eat animal products.

Don't take it personally if this is the only time it's happened, chalk it up to silly people forgetting important things, be thankful she cares enough to think of you to get you a gift to brighten your day (even if it's a bad one!), and throw that cookie away!

mom with issues
04-27-2010, 09:39 AM
I know how you feel. You work so hard and you just want someone to respect that. It's like the fact that my sons and I eat eggs for breakfast and my husband sits there eating his cereal. Grrrrr. He doesn't mean to upset us and it really doesn't but come on! I personally can't just take a bite of something and stop so I would give the cookie to someone or throw it out. I am allowed 2 cheat meals a week but usually don't indulge because I am afraid that if I give in I do I won't be able to go back to eating healthy like I do now. Everyone has to choose how they want to handle the situation. As far as your boss is concerned just ignore. Whether she meant any harm or not doesn't really matter. All that matters is what you want to do and how you decide to handle it.

cjdeluca
04-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I have to agree with some of the others in that alot of those store bought cookies really don't taste good so they aren't worth the calories.

Don't get sucked in! Whatever you do!! I don't know about you but when I don't have junk food, I'm ok but then if I have a bite or two, I end up craving more.

It's best to be polite either by saying Thank You and letting her think you ate it or by saying Thank You but I cannot accept this, I'm trying to get healthy and this is not in my eating plan. She may be annoyed/upset but if you don't let her know that you're not eating like this anymore, she may think you loved the cookie and may bring you another one. Not Good!

Good luck and BACK AWAY FROM THE COOKIE!! LOL

Gold32
04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Some times I feel like the only one that still, once in a while, has a cookie. I probably would have done what mkendrick suggested and eaten a piece before throwing the rest away. It was meant as a nice gesture, and not everyone on a diet completely shuns a cookie like its the devil. I don't think I could maintain my eating plans for life if it completely eliminated cookies. (I say this, and I can't remember the last time I had one!)

Though I do agree that a lot of those large, store cookies are crap anyway.

AnnieDrews
04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't think I could maintain my eating plans for life if it completely eliminated cookies. (I say this, and I can't remember the last time I had one!)

Though I do agree that a lot of those large, store cookies are crap anyway.

This is exactly how I am going about my lifestyle/food changes.

But here is how I try to look at it for myself. If something is around the office (and believe you me....it is! Just yesterday a well-meaning patient delivered still-warm brownies and blondies to our office!:dizzy:), I have been pretty good about passing it up. If I want to eating something indulgent, I will choose it when I want to, not just because it is sitting there.

Luckily, I haven't had anyone attempt to sabotage my efforts and I hope they don't.

bargoo
04-29-2010, 01:27 PM
I would just say thank you., and get rid of it as soon as possible , in the garbage, down the toilet, whatever. I couldn't chance having it around all day.

Onederchic
04-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I agree with the others. Trash it as soon as you leave work and before you get home. And feel good doing it.
I agree.

Beach Patrol
04-29-2010, 03:43 PM
I smile, say thank you, and either give it away or throw it away. Either way, it ain't goin' in my mouth! :dizzy:

ohiofreespirit
04-29-2010, 04:03 PM
i'd break it into bite size pieces and then freeze them for when i get the hankering for chocolate. If that won't work, i'd give it away.

L R K
04-29-2010, 04:46 PM
wow, that really is a big :cookie:

It's so hard to keep on track with people trying to sabotage your efforts all the time huh ... I would've said thank you nicely and then thrown it straight out! That could not sit on my desk without me eating it.

prepping
04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
sometimes a cookie is just a cookie.

I totally agree with windchime about cutting it into pieces and leaving it in the lunchroom. You appreciate the gesture and you're sharing. no harm done!

Goodness knows that if I were to leave anything at all unattended in the lunchroom, it'd be gone in a second if I wasn't keeping an eye on it! I was once cutting up an apple, turned around to wash the knife when a colleage waltzes in and snags a piece of my apple without even thinking about it. :p
Point 2: no evidence is left behind in all likelihood. ;)

ElanaRose
04-29-2010, 10:08 PM
I hate wasting food as well, but I also hate when someone just SHOVES something you know you're not supposed to have into your face. My little sister did that with not one, or two, but a BUCKET of brownies, and then pulled them back to her and ate one!

lexi1975
04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I would kindly accept it, and then toss it when she isnt around.