Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/135/115

Height: 5'3"

Default I feel so awful!

I just started a few weeks ago with working out and eating right. WELL, I messed up my knee because of all the running I've been doing. I went to the doctor's and I was told it was just an inflamed tendon, and I should recover within 10 days. It's been 5 days and I don't feel like it's getting much better. I feel absolutely horrible for going from running everyday to being sedentary. On top of that, I have my final exams for college the upcoming weeks!

Anyway, I guess I'm just really really stressed because of these obstacles at the start. Apologies if I am sounding very whiney. I just want my knee to get better so I can start moving again!
Halfhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #2  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Last year I was running track and I pushed myself too much. I ended up spraining my hip and was out the whole season. 3 - 4 months I was out because my hip just wouldn't get better.

When running, be very careful. It may be just inflammation now but if you keep pushing yourself too hard it could become something much worse. I'd take a week or so off from running. I know it'll be hard, but it's for the better. Don't rush it or else it'll get worse.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 161/135/115

Height: 5'3"

I started taking time off as soon as it started hurting. I haven't done any running in almost a week. I was really getting into it and not running is now making me feel bad.
Halfhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #4  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I'm sorry. I hope things get better for you.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 87.1kg/82.3/67

Height: 164cms

So sorry to hear that you're injured, you must be so frustrated Best to tough it out until you're healed up, though... you don't want it to turn into anything really nasty.

Is there any way you could do some other exercise that you like but won't put pressure on your knee? Swimming, a bike ride? Sit ups, pushups, some some upper body weight work? Just so you feel that you're doing SOMEthing...?

Just a thought. Get well soon!
yoursummerdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #6  
bex

S/C/G: 260.5/207/150

Yea I was going to suggest swimming or something. Not so hard on your muscles.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Obviously this is very difficult for you. (Wouldn't be for me, I hate running! ) I have to say, I think you may have just pushed yourself a little too hard, a little too fast. When you are better, maybe you should try the technique of walking with sprints thrown in. Look it up if you haven't heard of it before- you burn just as much, and I think some actually say you burn more. Or, something like that.

Otherwise, there are plenty of ways to burn calories and fat than just running. I personally would rather take a longer, fast paced walk, than run. But there's also dancing, swimming, and a variety of things. Have you ever done any of the things on the Wii Fit? It's AMAZING how much of a work out you can get from hoola-hooping for 8 minutes! If you can't do any of that till your knee heals, you could always work on toning your arms/abs.

Have patience, keep strong, keep motivated. You will get there!
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I will add my note of caution to the others you have received. Years ago I pulled my groin muscle running and stupidly went out running the next day all the same. I literally had to crawl home, and I was out of commission for months. That was the one and only time I ever pushed an injury.

Find other things to do that don't exacerbate your injury. You can work on your upper body, for example, while you heal. And watch your food intake. You'll be fine.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

If you do video exercise at all, I think it's a very good idea to have a "chair dancing" or seated video in your repertoire. I know that with my tendinitis, I absolutely need to have the option of non-weight-bearing exercise now and then.

Good collection here, with reviews.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise...cise-videos-47
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #10  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I've had running injuries including tendonitis in my hip and a stress fracture. Your doctor said 10 days, but I'm guessing this problem will bother you for much longer than that. Please take it slow in running again because this injury might come back. After I got my stress fracture, I wasn't able to run for several months. I started hitting the gym instead and it was very satisfying.

I love running, but I am very careful not to overdo it b/c the risk of injury is so great. I can understand why you are depressed. Hang in there and you'll be back in form soon.

Last edited by motivated chickie; 04-26-2010 at 01:54 PM.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 209.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'11"

Is walking ok? Do you have hills you can walk up nearby? Maybe a stair machine at the gym. Or better yet, try swimming? Swimming is easy on the joints and you can still feel good about being active and burnign calories. Good luck, and I totally understand. Running is my favorite exercise, and I get stir crazy and feel guilty when I stop going consistently for whatever reason. But if you want to be able to run again, heed all these chicks and be sure to take it very easy. Maybe it's a change to try something like pilates or yoga? I was so surprised when I first tried a yoga class. I never though stretching could be such a good workout. I was sore for days after!
ma26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

This sounds like a wonderful time to focus on your eating habits and give your body enough of a rest to recover. Just because you aren't exercising doesn't mean you can't eat healthier and slim down if that is your goal.

My first 26 pounds I lost without adding any added exercise into my life and I work a computer job. My hike is normal than an average person to my car, my classes, and lunch places (if I go out) but that is all I get right now. I plan to add exercise into my routine especially since it is good for my health, but this experience has proved to me that I can lose weight and maintain loss with diet alone if I had to.

I'm not advocating not exercising in the slightest, but diet modification and increased exercise are two components to creating a deficit and you can lose weight with either one or both combined.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #13  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

The same thing has happened to me!! I went for a 5 mile jog/walk 2 days ago and my knee is so swollen. The doctors i work with said to ice it and not to work out at all as it may cause serious damage. I've wanted to do yoga but there are a lot of poses that require using your legs. Very frustrating as now I am more focused on healthier/eating fewer calories.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Same boat here--sore heel turned into a sore ankle. I've run once since I hurt it two weeks ago, and it's driving me crazy!

I haven't let it stop me working out, though--I still have a full weekly routine including yoga, spin class, elliptical, strength training, and swimming.

Here's hoping we all get back on "track" soon, hehe!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #15  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

So sorry about your injury and all your stress.

This post reminds me of when I sprained my right knee in a spin class and had my last day of a temporary job coming up the next day.

I would suggest some rest and recuperation oh and relaxation!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote