Age 50+ - Daily Chat #3

View Full Version : Daily Chat #3

Jane
04-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Hello, :wave:

Please join us here as we discuss our weight loss efforts, as well as our daily lives. We share support, friendship, and accountability. All newbies welcome!

So, pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, and jump right in! :cofdate:

Jane
04-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi all,

Linda - thanks for the info on Swiss chard. The recipe you shared sounds really good. Hope you had a good visit with your mom.

Pam - yowza, you are a busy gal! When is the baby due?

Hello to Coralee, Carol, Tammy, Doris, Trish, and all others.

Weigh-in showed a .6 of a pound loss. After losing 4 pounds in the past two weeks, I sort of expected a lesser loss this week. That makes 18.6 pounds gone now. YAY!

I've got 3 granddaughters here until tomorrow evening, and they will keep me on my toes, lol.

Have a good weekend. :grouphug:

MaezieZ
04-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Good Morning:

It looks like it's going to be lovely outside today.

Got an unexpected message from a relative who says they're in our neck of the woods. I'm thinking they are in Vegas that is 8 hours away. But my cousin fell and possibly broke something so I didn't get to talk to her yet.

So we will probably be seeing them later if in fact they are up here.

Jane: Have fun with your grand daughters!

No loss this week:shrug: But I'm not giving up. Since I dropped 7#s my first week I'm hoping my body is just trying to adjust. I was reading an article about how the body will hang on to fat by any means and that's why diet pills don't work forever. So I guess we should be happy with even small changes.

Have a wonderful day!

MaezieZ
04-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Hopefully everyone is out having a good time!

My cousin called and she did a lot of damage when she fell so I feel really bad for her. She shattered bones in one of her wrists. It must be terrible to be so far away from home when something happens. And the weather is supposed to be bad this week and she will have to cross a mountain pass to get to my house on her way back home.

It just goes to show how fast things can happen!

I had a good long walk yesterday and the scale moved. It's all about the exercise for me. Today some yard clean-up and house-cleaning (I would rather work outside :()

Enjoy your day!

Doris

Pamb
04-25-2010, 02:57 PM
its a rainy day here. I missed church today, kidney stone on the move. We had dinner out with friends last night and our grand daughter spent the night after.
No field work for a few days with the rain. but we need the rain badly. so its ok.
our new grand baby will be here the beginning of Sept.
I love swiss chard, i will be planting some this year.
ok, time to go out and do the afternoon chores and I think we will go to town for a few farm supplies and groceries.
have a great evening everyone.
Pam

TamTam
04-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Jane Congratulations on the weight loss!
Pam Hope things are better with the kidney stone!!

Ok stayed away from the scale for 2 weeks, weighed in and no gain and no loss, which is a good thing, will have to evaluate porion sizes. but all in all am not to unhappy.

Have a blessed day.

cottagebythesea
04-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Jane, I'm sure you had a great weekend with your granddaughters doing girl things. Congratulations on the scale victories!

Doris, that's just awful about your poor cousin! I hope her trip back home isn't too cumbersome for her. I'm glad the scale is finally moving for you, too!

Pam, I hope the kidney stone isn't causing you too much discomfort, and that you had a good day today. It's raining here, too, and looks like the next few days will be wet.

CCajun, I bet the next time you weigh, the scale will have some good news!

I went off shopping with my son, DIL and grandkids today and left Jake home to watch all the sci-fi shows he wanted on TV and nap without me nagging him all day, so we all had a nice day. Now I'm going to top off the day with a relaxing bubble bath, then curl up on the sofa with a mug of tea and watch The Amazing Race before bed.

Jane
04-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Hello ladies,

Doris - sorry about your cousin, and I hope her wrist mends nicely. I'm with you on taking small losses. Seems the older we get, the harder it is to have sizable ones!

Pam - it's rainy here, too, blech! As you say, that's a good time to stock up on supplies, though.

Tammy - as Linda said, I bet you'll see a better loss next time you weigh in. Maybe you should go back to weighing each week? I have been wondering if you're alright with all the tornado activity down your way.

Linda - ah, what a nice day you had!

Hello to anyone reading this. :wave:

I went over calories yesterday, but have my food plan in place for today. It's gloomy and raining, so I'm going to focus on getting some much-needed things done in the house.

Have a good day, ladies. :grouphug:

Pamb
04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Good morning ladies. Sunny here, my friend called at 6:30 this morning and couldn't walk, so I didn't go, but my daughter and I will be taking my grand daughter and walking when they finish their breakfast. I also have some extra eggs I want to donate to the food bank.

I ate way too much this weekend, glad I don't get on the scales again till Friday, really watching my food intake now~

Tammy hang in there, sometimes it takes a while to see a loss.

Jane I have problems when I don't plan, so I need to get better at that. I need to get some in the house stuff done too, hubby informed me that as soon as it dries up I will be in the tractor for long days.

Sorry to hear about your cousin, Doris, hubby broke his wrist in 05 and had to have pins in, not a fun time for him, then last Nov, smashed his thumb, and then broke his leg 2 months ago. his problem is he needs to slow down, although the wrist was from a horse throwing him.

have a great MOnday everyone.
Pam

MaezieZ
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Pam:Sorry to hear about your kidney stone being on the move. Rain is a mixed blessing isn't it? We don't get very much around here so I usually enjoy rainy weather. Sounds like your hubby heals fast; at least he's active!

Jane: My jealous brain must have ignored the good news about your weight loss:broc: Congrats!

Cajun: At least you didn't gain! I'm going to start counting my calories so I can make better choices. I think I cut down a lot, but I may be wrong.

Cottage: I'm jealous thinking about your bubble bath; after cutting down tree branches and hauling old grass clippings to the dump I could have used one too.

Hello everyone else--have a wonderful day!

Doris

cottagebythesea
04-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Just thought I'd pop in to say "hi!" Not much is going on here, it's been a dreary, gloomy, rainy day, and it sure did feel good to change into my soft, warm nightie and snuggle up on the couch when I got home.

TamTam
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Hello everyone. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Jane Our weather was not too bad, more wind than anything else, reminded me of tropical storm weather, but not much by way of rain. Thank you for the concern.

Have a blessed evening. Tammy

pattygirl63
04-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been MIA. Just being quiet. Glad to see us getting a lot of Newbies since I was here last. :welcome3: to all of you newbies.

Jane Congrats on the weightloss. I know you enjoyed the girls this weekend.

Tammy Your weather sounds like ours. My DD calls when he sees bad weather around us on the weather channel to see if we're okay. But it is usually bad around us mostly Charlotte, NC gets all the rain and of course it looks like we are getting it with them, but we don't.

Pam I am so sorry about the kidney stone. Our Pastor's wife has them and they can't be desolved so she suffers terrible with them from time to time. I hope you are feeling better.

Doris That must be terrible for your cousin to have such a terrible fall. Hope she is feeling better and heals quickly.

Linda and everyone else:wave:

Well, I changed my woe a bit Saturday and so that will be my WI day. I ended up eating a lot of salt last week, I know where some of it came from but not sure where I got all of it from. I don't eat a lot of salt because I know I can't handle it. I was really swelled and I had drank my water, but I've never had such a hard time getting it off. I still consider myself doing IE, but I decided that I needed to work at portion control so I'm using my WW materials to kind of keep up with how much I am eating only to keep from overeating. I don't know if that is called dieting instead of IE, but it's what I need to do right now and it is working. Most of the fluid has come off.

Well, I thought we were going to go see our new grandson, Jaxxon, who was born on the 18th, but DH doesn't want to go on Mother's Day weekend. I had my mind set on going that weekend not realizing it was Mother's Day weekend. We will have to decide when we are going... which will be later in the month. Hopefully I can get a little more weight off before we go.

Well it is late so I better close I'm getting tired and just might be able to go to bed and sleep.

Pamb
04-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Good morning, I am waiting for my grand daughter to wake up and then I will take her to the sitter and head out in the tractor. I want to hang some clothes out on the line before heading out. Yesterday was spent running for parts and picking up beef from the butcher.

I don't know how you can wait to see that new grandson, Trish.

Gotta head out! talk to you later.
Pam

MaezieZ
04-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Morning All:

It's crazy windy here--I just heard a big tree branch hit the roof. A snow storm is blowing in--at least we had 3 lovely days in between.

Have a good day everyone.

Doris

Carolis60
04-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Morning ladies,
I was afraid I wouldn't find the thread!
Things have been slow, no change on the scale lately. Just holding pretty close to 2-6 ounces back and forth.
I've been trying to get in some walking on the treadmill. So far 2 miles last Friday with all the machines I'm suppose to do. Yesterday walked 2.4 miles in 50 minutes then did 20 minutes of stretching in the pool to work the kinks out of the hips. It was so much fun walking on the treadmill. I've never done that before and they have a tv for every machine. I bring my headphones and plug in. Yesterday I watched 2 shows getting their houses ready for sale. I told my husband I could walk and watch that channel all day! Yeah, right!! But I am trying to get my legs and hips stronger so I can walk a 5K and not be sore for a week like I was the last time. I couldn't move for 3 days.

I'm trying to get back to 158, have 3 pounds to go. This is a long haul, but I'm going to make it.

Been painting a lot for my web sales, and finally finished 3 things. Yippee!! Now on to the next project.

Going to the YMCA and trying a new class today. It will be for those with Arthritis or seniors who need 'range of motion" exercises.

It's been beautiful out here in CA. Didn't have to turn on the heater this morning for the first time.

Everyone have a wonderful day!!
Carol

TamTam
04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Good Morning all, busy morning for us too, we are "off" today, but you know you are never off!! We did errands and still have a few more to do later in the day. Got some ribs and put them in the slow cooker, will have with pork & beans and maybe garlic toast.

Trish Honey, you need to do what works best for you. You may get to a point where you don't need your WW material anymore and can do just IE, but do whatever works for you.

pattygirl63
04-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Good Morning Everyone

A flyby this morning. I'm on my way out to my Bible Study Fellowship this morning and then have to go shopping for veggie and fruits after.

Tammy - I think you do IE too, don't you? I think I saw on the other thread that you read or are reading The Eden Diet. Dr. Rita Hancock wrote me yesterday answering a question concerning counting pts, etc. She said our body is our points counter when we learn to hear the signals it sends us. I had already put away the diet stuff as I realized I was getting back into the "diet" mentality. Amazing thing is I ate just what I needed and no more. I just have to be patient because the weight comes off slower this way, but it does come off.

Have a nice day ladies and I will catch y'all later.

cajungirl64
04-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Morning to all, I haven't posted since February, I wasn't doing to good weight-wise, plus I never know what to say on Forums. I like to read them though. :) Anyway, I'll try and check-in every-so-often. Nice to be back.
Blessing,
Cajungirl

Jane
04-28-2010, 04:19 PM
No time to post, but I wanted to say HI! :wave:

TamTam
04-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Morning to all, I haven't posted since February, I wasn't doing to good weight-wise, plus I never know what to say on Forums. I like to read them though. :) Anyway, I'll try and check-in every-so-often. Nice to be back.
Blessing,
Cajungirl

Hello CajunGirl, nice to hear from you. Looking forward to the times when you do check in!! God BLess.:hug:

TamTam
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Good Morning Everyone

A flyby this morning. I'm on my way out to my Bible Study Fellowship this morning and then have to go shopping for veggie and fruits after.

Tammy - I think you do IE too, don't you? I think I saw on the other thread that you read or are reading The Eden Diet. Dr. Rita Hancock wrote me yesterday answering a question concerning counting pts, etc. She said our body is our points counter when we learn to hear the signals it sends us. I had already put away the diet stuff as I realized I was getting back into the "diet" mentality. Amazing thing is I ate just what I needed and no more. I just have to be patient because the weight comes off slower this way, but it does come off.

Have a nice day ladies and I will catch y'all later.

Yes I am doing IE and I am on the Eden Diet forum as well. God BLess. Tammy

pattygirl63
04-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Good Morning Everyone

Another quick one today. Wanted to stay in bed this morning as it is really cold, but had to get up. Beauty appointment this morning to get my haircut. Looking for something simple and easy to do. My perm seems to be almost gone and another month before I can get another one. Did they do something to them again? They don't seem to last as long.

Tammy I'm on Eden Diet site too. Are you the Tammy I see there and may have posted with? This woe eating is great, but just feels different. I'm not losing, in fact I gain depending on what I eat. I must have gotten a lot of salt yesterday and busy day so didn't drink enough water. However, using smaller plates etc, logic tells me the weight has to eventually come off. Patience, patience is the word of the day for me.

Hope everybody is staying busy and having a great day.

Jane
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi everyone, :wave:

The lunch with friends was so much fun yesterday, and completely OP. Then we went out for dinner with family and I went about 200 calories over my limit. Not too bad, and I have my plan written down for today, full of healthy choices.

I feel better for getting together with people more often. Kind of lifts your spirits, you know? Today I'm going to stay home and chill, then tomorrow I'm getting my hair colored and trimmed.

It's so good to "see" all of you, and I hope your week is going great! :grouphug:

2BMeAgn
04-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm a new member and trying to see where the last post is in the thread. I'm 53 and need to lose 75 lbs - NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!!!

MaezieZ
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Morning all!:

Welcome to the newbies and the returnees that are new to me.

Had a nice visit with my cousin and her husband. That man is a saint! :angel: She is in pain, but he's the one taking care of her. Hopefully all will go well with the healing.

My hubby was not very hospitable for the visit, but I hope they didn't notice. My cousin can be a pushy and demanding person and my dh doesn't care for her. He does like her husband so that made it a little better.

No scale movement but was able to get into a smaller pair of work pants so I'm happy to have something different to wear.:cloud9: I think that's weird because the tape measure isn't changing either.

Looking forward to the weekend and some marathon exercising/yard work.

Doris

TamTam
05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Trish Yes I am the Tammy J. on the Eden diet forum. I had a gain this morning, BUT we have eaten boiled crawfish for 2 nights, so I know that has a lot to do with fluid since it is boiled in salted water.

Jane Waving back at you!!

2BeMeAgnWelcome!!! Hope we can be of help and encouragement. There are a great bunch of ladies here, they will be a real blessing to you.!
Doris Good for you getting into a smaller pants!!!

Jane
05-01-2010, 05:59 PM
It's May! :cp:

2BeMeAgn - :welcome: Once you posted your reply, I guess you saw where the end of the thread is. You can always click on the last page number, then scroll all the way down.

Pam - I used to hang sheets and other linens on the clothesline because they smell so good. The dogs we have now would have a heyday with them, so I quit, but I sure do love the smell of laundry that has dried outside.

Doris - a big YAY for you, getting into the work pants. That's a great NSV! (non-scale victory, for those who might not know) We had real crazy, scary storms here last night. Our baby dog - Lucy - jumped in bed with us for protection, lol.

Trish - how'd your haircut go? I had mine colored and trimmed, and I just love the way it lays now. I don't know anything about perms - sorry I can't help!

Tammy - the ribs sound yummy. I like to cook them that way, too, then put them under the broiler with some BBQ sauce for a few minutes. M'mm good!

Carol - the treadmill was my very favorite method of exercise, but I am prone to foot problems, and it caused me to have plantar's fasciitis, so my foot doctor banned me from it. You are getting so close to goal, and that must feel so good! Yay for you, doing the exercises at the Y.

Cajungirl - I'm glad to see you back! As you see here, we just talk about our everyday lives, and our struggles and successes with weight loss. You can share with us whatever is on your mind. What weight loss program are you following?

Linda - I hope you're having a good weekend.

Weigh-in for me was 1.8 pounds more gone! :carrot: That makes 20.4 pounds so far. I can feel the difference, even though I still have so far to go.

Tomorrow we're celebrating Jackson's 3rd birthday, and also Mother's Day. I will be glad to see the kids and grands. We bought some lawn games to keep things interesting. I'd never heard of Ladder Toss, have you? It looks like something most ages can play. Also got some lawn darts, and a new badminton set. Exercise isn't so bad when you get it playing badminton, lol.

Have a good weekend!

Carolis60
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Happy Sunday to you all,

Think it might be a nice day today. Been busy this week running around and eating out. Not making bad choices, but still not eating the usual. Scale has gone up, but clothes still fit. :) Need to focus and get back to my norm today. I've been getting in plenty of water, will cut down on the carbs today.

Cajungirl--Nice to see your post. :chicken: Stop by any time, between working with your chicks or your garden. I have heard you have a wonderful garden. It's so nice to go out and pick your own veggies!! :broc: How is dh garden growing??

Jane-- I love the treadmill with the tv in front. :tread: I use to read while I walked. My trouble is that I'm having a hard time getting all the machines, 2 miles of walking, and 3 classes of water aerobics into 5 days. I want to do everything and it takes so much time!! I have to pick and choose each week.

I'm not one to spend more than an hour a day on exercise. I even love the days when I don't go at all and can stay home the entire day. I get the house work all done, throw something in the crock pot and then I'm off to my painting room.....where I could easily stay all day. That's why I make myself get up and go to the Y. I know it's a necessary thing I have to do or I don't get any exercise in my life other than swishing my paint brush back and forth in my clean water. :rofl:

Bought motorcycle jackets yesterday, so planning a mini trip not far from home. :moped: It's been a long time since we've done that. Waiting for the days to get a little warmer.

Also planning a couple road trips and some camping trips to the beach soon. :beach: Think this summer will be filled with lots of fun things to do.

2BeMeAgain--:welcome2:

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday!! :carrot:

MaezieZ
05-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Good Morning:

Just a quick Hi because it is beautiful outside and I have a million things to do.

Sounds like everyone is upbeat about their eating and exercise plans. Isn't life wonderful?:flow2:

TamTam
05-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Hello all. Just a quick hello, just finished bank statment, hubby "helped", could have done it faster alone, BUT, we must make sacrifices, and God BLess him for offering!!!

Have a blessed day.

bonnie824
05-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Finally realized I could have a ticker now and I'm stressing about whether it's IE or not! Probably not. I have actually lost 2 pounds though since I started easing into IE with the eat when hungry, eat what you love, stop eating if you don't love it, slow down, and stop when satisfied part.

Next goal, stop weighing every day. I plan to ease into that too, by going a week first.

TamTam
05-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Good for you Bonnie!!! I to am trying to wean myself off the scale.

Jane
05-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

Bonnie - a big :welcome2: to our little corner of the world!

Carol - you're doing a great job with the exercise, imo! Although I don't do WW anymore, I was glad when they recognized house cleaning as countable exercise. It really is, if a person does it right! A big YAY for the new leather jackets! I am envious of your upcoming trips!

Maezie - yep, it does seem like we're all doing pretty darn well with our programs. I know I sure do feel better about it!

Tammy - haha, men... what ya gonna do with them, lol? I'm just so glad I still have mine. I ran into a friend in Walmart the other day, and she told me her hubby died not long ago, and that she is heartbroken. I felt so sorry for her when I saw the pain and grief in her face.

Hello to everyone else. :wave:

My day yesterday was such a good one! I loved having all of the family here, and don't know when I've felt so happy. We played games, and laughed, and I simply soaked up the love and fun.

Today, first of all, I have to pay the 1st of the month bills. Oh, joy. Thankfully, I do that on the computer, so it won't take long. Later I'm going to plant a gerbera daisy that the little girls gave me, mulch around the tomato plants, clean out the birdbaths, while getting some exercise and natural vitamin D.

Have a good one! :grouphug:

MaezieZ
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Hello Everyone!

Jane: Sounds like you had an ideal day yesterday. Too early for tomato plants here. I have to find a way to keep my buddy the peacock out of my garden. He's been very helpful "pruning" the tops of the flower plants as they are trying to grow. I've decided he hangs out there waiting for the hens to come eat.

I really have to watch my eating, think I'm still eating too many calories because my job is sitting for 8 hours.

Have a great day everyone!

Doris

Carolis60
05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Good Morning all,

CCjun--Your dh sounds like mine when he wants to help in the kitchen. LOL I tell him to get the water and open the tv trays...that's his job.

Jane-- Didn't get leather jackets. We bought textile....between a mesh and a textile. Leather costs so much more and from research, isn't any safer than the new materials they make now.

I love Gerbera Daisies. They are just the prettiest summer flower to me!!

I just mixed some protein powder and some Greek yogurt, hopefully it will hold me over for a while. Plain yogurt isn't quite enough for a meal for me.

Heading over to the Y some time this morning to play in the water.

I almost finished 3 signs yesterday while dh was on his ride. Feels good to get something done. My sign says, 'I can do anything through prayer and coffee', then I painted a coffee cup on it. Cuter than I had expected it to be.

Doris--Oh no! 'Pruning' the tops of the flowers!! LOL I bet that's not a bit funny.

OK, got to get in gear and get my brushes moving for a little bit.

Everyone have a beautiful Monday!

Carol

lilithb
05-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Hello! I have just found this sight and it has been a God send.

TracyWay
05-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Hello! I have just found this sight and it has been a God send.

It is most helpful!

Jane
05-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Hello all,

lilthb and TracyWay - :welcome: Please just jump in and tell us more about yourselves. You will find lots of encouragement, friendship and support here. :grouphug)

Carol - now why did I just assume you meant leather jackets?? Not all bike rides wear them! I love the saying on your new sign - so true for many of us, lol. About the daisies, I just wish they were perennials, but I've set them on my porch where they can get lots of sun until I can decide where to plant them. Maybe by the mailbox post.

Hello to anyone else reading this. :wave:

I have my 6-month dental cleaning today, and then I'll go vote afterwards. I doubt there will be a crowd at the voting place since this is a minor election year.

Have a good day. :)

MaezieZ
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Quick Good Morning:

Really getting a routine for my morning exercise now if I can only be more consistent after work. If nothing else there are a million weeds that need to be pulled. :dizzy: Of course there's always Roundup.

Have a good day everyone!

Doris

TamTam
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Hello ALL. I have my lap top here at work, this crazy thing works in 2 of my stores but not one of them and not at home. Go figure!

Welcome to the newbies!! GREAT bunch of ladies here!

Hubby out front, I am "doing paperwork" in the back office/kitchen/stock room, what they gonna do fire me? I have asked to be fired, but no one wants to do the paperwork.

Have a blessed afternoon all!:hug:

Jane
05-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Good morning,

Doris - YAY for you, getting your exercise routine in place. LOL about the Roundup!

CC/Tammy - hmmm, that's interesting about the computer. Do you mean the internet works in some places, but not alll? Computers can be tempermental, that's for sure. LOL about being fired!

Nothing new here. I got my teeth cleaned and voted yesterday, also ran a few errands. My scales is up since Sunday, even though I've been POP (perfectly on program) since then. I think I'm going to drink lots of water today and see if that helps.

Have a good day!

Carolis60
05-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Good Morning,
Chilly this morning so the coffee tasted delish! Going to be a nice day with high winds.

Had a good day yesterday, got in some exercise, hair cut, and some grocery shopping. Not much painting, but will make up that time today while I do the wash. :)

I came across this and thought it was very good for me to read. I'm one of those who has the scale devil on my shoulder, but since I'm older I know not to get to upset when the numbers don't go down when I'm doing great.
Thought someone might enjoy reading it too. It's kinda long, but very interesting. I need to tape it above my scale!

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it's readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body's water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don't understand what's happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it's water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts.

The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That's why, when it comes to eating, it's wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it's packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates.

As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it's associated water. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you're prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it's wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It's the actual weight of everything you've had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you've finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in.

Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat.

There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride.

It's a matter of mind over scale.

Carol

lilithb
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Hello Ladies!
Ok day of really watching my calorie intake. Now, I ate a can of veggies, the sodium is high and this morning when I woke up my nose looked 3 feet wider and the bags under my eyes looked like they had picked up some excess weight. I ate olives yesterday. what started as just one ended up to be 30. I can't wait for this foot to heal so I can get out side and walk. Have a beautiful day!

TracyWay
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Hello all,

lilthb and TracyWay - :welcome: Please just jump in and tell us more about yourselves. You will find lots of encouragement, friendship and support here. :grouphug)

Carol - now why did I just assume you meant leather jackets?? Not all bike rides wear them! I love the saying on your new sign - so true for many of us, lol. About the daisies, I just wish they were perennials, but I've set them on my porch where they can get lots of sun until I can decide where to plant them. Maybe by the mailbox post.

I have my 6-month dental cleaning today, and then I'll go vote afterwards. I doubt there will be a crowd at the voting place since this is a minor election year.

Have a good day. :)

Thank you Jane! Right now, I am hungry and tired when I wanted to get so much done today! And, how are you?

bonnie824
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome fellow 50's chatters. Great scale Information Carol. I don't imagine I am totally getting rid of mine, just moving to weekly weighing and later monthly.
We went walking in the park last night with the dogs and my 3 year old (not yet but..) grandaughter. Not a lot of real excercise, but it was fun and we did break a sweat anyway.
Strawberries are in here and we bought a quart from someone at work freshly picked that morning. So delicious. We will be eating them tonight too and probably tomorrow.
Have a nice Cinco de Mayo. BBL.

MaezieZ
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Carol: Thanks for the info about the scale--I need to print that and read it every time I'm unhappy with the number I see.:eek:

DH and I are having a disagreement so I'm not very jolly today, but I'm still trying to stay on plan (I'm a stress and emotional eater but I know I really won't be happy with the scale if I don't keep myself in check).

Nice to have somewhere to come for information and a feeling of community!

Have a good day all!

Doris

Pamb
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I am going to try and catch up some. I have had internet problems the last several days and have been farming-at home and at the neighboring farm.
My daughter who is a nanny was here for several days and we got part of the garden planted. She went home on Monday and that also was the last day of me watching my grand daughter (her sitter had a baby in Jan). So I should have lots of time right??? LOL. I have been walking with my friends every morning-6 days a week, we don't walk on Sunday. I had a dr appt yesterday and haven't lost any and my cholesterol is over 300! highest its ever been so he wants me on med for it, my hubby isn't happy with that, he doesn't like drugs, and our naturopath says cholesterol is ok- well, I am going on a half dose of crestor for 3 months, I took it back in 2006 and didn't have any trouble with it, I can't take lipitor or vytorin (i think that is what it is called). my dr is the same age as me and he has just lost 30 pounds and says to keep up the excercise and he is sure with that and watching my food intake I can get it down quickly.
so that is my whats going on here, I am making more of an effort to eat better and eat more veggies and fruits.
Pam

TamTam
05-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Pam Nice to hear from you. Where I am from you have to specify when you talk about being a "Nanny" because we call our Godmothers "Nanny".

Good for you for eating more fruits and veggies, I need to work on that myself.

Jane
05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi all,

Carol - thanks for sharing the info! I get weighed au natural, after my potty break, first thing in the morning. Saturday is the day I write it down, although there are so many fluctuations during the week.

lilithb - how's the calorie counting coming along? Like Carol's article said - just keep drinking water to try and flush some of the sodium out. I hope your foot is better soon. That will make such a difference for you!

TracyWay - yw! Hope you're feeling more energetic today. Just wondering - are you getting enough protein? I feel so much better when I have a full serving of protein at every meal, and cut down on the carbs. I'm so glad you joined our group!

Bonnie - I have a grandson who just turned 3 on Sunday. He is very energetic and keeps me on my toes when he's here, lol. Your romp in the park sounds like lots of fun. Strawberries.... mmmmm! I can barely wait until ours are ready, which will be closer to the end of the month.

Doris - :hug: As a fellow emotional eater, I know just how hard you're struggling to stay OP while being upset, and want to say you are a smart woman to see the long-range effects of stay OP during it. When I get upset and want to eat because of it, I think to myself that if I eat, then I'll have 2 problems: the first one, then also a new one of being off-program! Sometimes it's not easy, though. Like you, I think it's so nice to be able to come here and share/vent.

Pam - you are doing such a good job with the walking! Hopefully, the medication will help your cholesterol problems. Do you like oatmeal? It really is good for helping to lower cholesterol. Just a thought. How have you been spending your extra time? If you're like me, there just aren't enough hours in the day to do what we want, after we do what we need to do.

Hello to all others. :wave:

I'm doing so much better, with handling the grief. The book I mentioned awhile back, and guidance from a mentor at my church have given me insight. A feeling of acceptance and peace is coming over me. Having each of you helps me, too, much more than you know. :grouphug:

Question - would you of this group like for me to start a Sticky at the top of this forum for a Bio page for us? I'd be happy to do that, if you want it. I think it would help us get to know each other better, especially as new members join us.

Have a good day!:)

pattygirl63
05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Hello Everybody:wave:

Gee I've been MIA for a while and feel like a Newbie myself asI see how this little group has really grown. A lot of Newbies. Sorry I don't have time to catch up. I will have to get to know everyone when I get back from our trip.

This is just a quick drop in to say hello to everyone and I'm still around, I'm just not on the computer much any more. Just trying to enjoy other areas of life. We are getting ready to leave the end of next week to go see the new grandson. Since economy is as it is and we don't travel like we used to, we decided to make a little vacation out of it. We always try to see some new thing I haven't seen in FL. Going to Seaworld in Orlando this time and maybe Silver Springs. We always say we are going to Silver Springs when we go to Ocala to see Tony's first wife's Mom, but end up spending so much time with her that we never make it. Maybe this time we'll do it. Depends on how I do with the walking in Orlando.

Have to get my hair done Tuesday with a new beautician. Mine is sick and has had to cancel out on me the last 2 appointments. I had the girl next to her station cut my hair and I like the cut, but she didn't seem to want to do anything. Had to make her curl it a little bit and she didn't seem to want to use her hairspray. So I don't trust her to do a perm or anything else. I always notice she never seemed to have many customers so I guess I know why. One of my neighbors wears her hair like I do so going to try out her beautician. So keep your fingers crossed for me.:dizzy:

Making new changes. I'm one of those who has let my weight hold me back from so many things the past few years and I've decided to change that and get out and do more... kind of come out of myself and get busy. It might even help with some weight loss. I think living here with no family around has not been really great for me. I used to get out and do things with friends and family and that stopped when we came to SC. The ladies in my neighborhood like to get out and do things together. And our neighborhood likes to get together for cookouts and things. Some of that isn't my thing, but I'm thinking maybe I should do it any way. I've ordered some new clothes for the trip which will be nice to wear for gatherings.

So when I get back I'm going to get my house fixed up so I can have people in for coffee, tea or whatever and just visit. Tony and I have met people in our church we would like to socialize with and we head up an on-line prayer ministry in our church. I've been thinking we need to come out of ourselves and open up and get to know our prayer partners or at least meet them. So we need to make the moves and invite these people into our home.

I really think this will help me get moving as I become more active and it just might help me with the weight loss. I know it would get my mind off of food all the time, except for when entertaining, which has got to be good for me in a lot of ways not just weight loss. Strange but when I'm in a party situation, I find I eat very little if anything because I'm so busy visiting with people.

My weight loss seems to fluctuate. I did decide that even though I basically follow a lot of IE ideas that I needed the WW structure with it. Is that a "diet" mentality? It might be, but I finally decided that this whole thing with food has to be personal and since we don't fit into a "one size fits all" when it comes to how we eat and lose weight that we have to learn what works for us as individuals. I seem to have gotten past the "burnout" stage I was in about counting points so I have my limit of pts. I remember the Wendy's thing that people do where they zigzag their calories or pts to jump start their weight loss and decided with that in mind that I could be a little more flexible with my pts. For the most part I try to stay right around a certain amount of pts. If I have a day I'm not too hungry, I may eat less or there may be a day like yesterday when I was hungry almost all day and I ate more. That is where my IE comes in. I've noticed that some foods do not satisfy so I end up hungrier those days so I will try to eat a little more when I eat those foods. I don't think everything is a trigger food as much as 1 serving of some foods isn't enough. EXample, yesterday was a busy day and I started out earlier. I have gotten to where I eat half a serving of oatmeal for breakfast, yesterday I should have had a whole serving. Our main meal was fish sticks. I found out that 4 fish sticks which is a serving just did not last. Since I'm counting pts and I didn't eat enough at breakfast, I should have had a serving and a half of the fish sticks. I just have to learn to pay moe attention to how much or how little I need depending on what is going on around me. I think it is so much more than just about the food. Maybe sometimes when we think we are overeating, maybe we are not. Maybe we just hear the message our body is sending more. We just have to realize that and not let it become one of those "I blew it so I may as well have more" things and give up.

Well, I've rambled long enough. Sorry my quick drop in became loooonng. I will try to catch up on reading and getting to know everybody when we get back in a couple of weeks and try to hang out with y'all more.

bonnie824
05-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Good afternoon all. The air quality/pollen is kicking our butts here in NW-NC, plus it will be 90 soon but I took some ibuprofen and coffee (in the nice AC at work) and feel fine now. Happily I am following the respect your body advice of IE and wearing comfortable fitting clothes.
Pam, in my family we're the opposite about meds. My husband takes high bloodpressure and cholesterol stuff and I won't. I have good blood pressure anyway, which is the more dangerous. I am at the cholesterol level that use to be good and then "they" lowered it. Everyone has to make their own choices though about how much and which meds they are willing to take. I will take anything if in pain, for instance, and my husband resists that.

Jane, I hate to bring up sadness, but I'm new and unaware what your grief came from. Is it new? I lost both parents this decade (2004 and 2008) and had a son in major trouble, but now I seem to be gradually coming back to the naturally happy person I am/was. Not a fast process, but at least time does what it does.

Trish, did you ever try Core/Simply Filling? I moved into that from points before switching to IE/stopping dieting. It is kind of intuitive, just not for sugar/fat or white carbs.

Have a nice afternoon.

Carolis60
05-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Evening everyone,
Had a good day today, didn't make it over to the pool, but tomorrow dh and I are golfing, so maybe doing 18 holes will count for something. There's a special that Mothers get to play for free. Yippee!!

Doris--Me too!! Reading it every day might help when my scale goes up too!

Jane--I weigh after one cup of coffee just before I step in the shower. This morning the numbers were down 2.2 pounds. Yeah!! We'll see what happens tomorrow. Scale likes to mess with my head!

Yesterday dh went golfing with his dad of 92 years and then ate lunch at Jack in the Box. He felt queasy a little while after he got home. Found out he ate french fries, a grilled burger, and a regular Dr. Pepper. He usually follows my woe, so I think it was too much sugar or too much caffeine. He started feeling better after he ate a decent dinner with little fat and lots of veggies.

I think that would be nice to have a Sticky Jane. Thank you for thinking of it.

Doris-- I'm an emotional eater too..but I'm better than I use to be. I eat at any celebration and head for the cake first. Anything sweet is my thing. Finally had to get my head together and start thinking a different way. A more healthy way!!

I love oatmeal, but I can eat a half or a whole cup and my brain reacts the same with either amount....I'm starving in about an hour! My brain thinks of sweet things I can have. So I stay away from oatmeal, hash browns, and most sugars. Don't have too much fruit either. I like some frozen ones in my summer protein shakes. Lately, I've been hooked on chocolate protein shakes and add a little cinnamon to it. It sure make it yummy!

Trish--I agree with getting out with your neighbors, and enjoying their company when you have the time. We can become such hermits in our own 4 walls. After a while, we don't want to go out at all. I try to fix myself up and go to lunch a couple times a month with friends. Feels good to go out in public and feel good about yourself.
Break the ice and become more social with your church group. You'll make a lot of friends. Be fun having the girls over for lunch or even make it a pot luck. We all like to cook!!

The YMCA had a pot luck for the ladies who go to the water aerobics class. There were 24 that came and we all introduced ourselves. We had a great time visiting for a little while. Usually we don't talk while we're in the pool. Everyone enjoyed it, so they're planning one every two months.

Are you talking about Wendy Chant? That's the program I'm on and I love it. Kinda confusing at first, but asked questions on her forum and figured out how it all works. I bought her book on Amzn, and it really made sense to me. I've lost 21 pounds that I thought I would never lose, now I'm trying for the last ten. It's slow, but I'm a happy camper eating this way. Yes, we do zigzag a little and that's why I'm still on the program. We can have a few days eating most things and life goes on.

Your post was a long one, but I enjoyed reading it. Have a wonderful vacation!!

We're planning a few vacations for the summer, so I'll have to watch it a lot more while we're traveling. We always tend to eat too much, then sit in the car for the days drive. Not good!! I'm not one for eating in restaurants all the time. I wish we were taking the trailer so I can take my own food, but the car will be much faster and less stressful on dh. Thinking of going to Louisiana for a week. Then a week in August to Colorado to see our daughter. Camping at the beach next month. So this summer will be a challenge for sure. Tomorrow is Chinese dinner, helping our grand daughter celebrate her 17th BD. Then on the 21st, celebrating the twins 14th BD.
This is a bad month!! Lets not forget Mothers Day on Sunday.

Going to take one day at a time and do my best! Get in my water and try!

Everyone have a great day tomorrow!! It's Friday!
Carol

Jane
05-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi all,

Trish - I hope you like the way the new stylist does your hair. I only wish I could fix my hair the same way my stylist does. Guess that's why she's the expert, not me. I like all the new ideas you have for getting on with life, and I think they will bring you joy. Your trip sounds like lots of fun - I know you can barely wait to hold that new baby.

Bonnie - the grief I spoke of is due to the early death of my nephew, Jeff. He had a massive heart attack last September, and in trying to revive him, he lost oxygen for too long and suffered extreme brain damage. Then he passed away March 13. Although I had been praying for his suffering to be over, it was still so very hard to deal with. He was my oldest sister's son, and only 6 years younger than me, so I grew up with him and his siblings. I truly had no idea this would be so hard, but I'm doing much better. I see you've had some sad times, too, and I'm so glad that you are doing better. I suppose at our ages, most of us here have had many difficult times to deal with over the years. Btw, I like what you said about respecting our bodies.

Carol - I like the idea of your Y having the potluck. How fun! Social interaction is so important to keep us from being isolated. I often have lunch and do things with friends, but had slacked off over the winter, so I'm making an intentional effort to reconnect.

The sticky I was talking about would be one where we tell a little about ourselves. If any you are interested, let me know.

My scales said I lost 8.5 pounds overnight, lol. Oh, if only that were possible! Three other attempts gave me 3 different readings, so I guess it's time for a new battery.

DGD Caylin will be here this weekend, and I sure am looking forward to that! Not sure if I'll get to check in before Sunday, so I'll say.....

Happy Mother's Day!

bonnie824
05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi all. TGIF. I'm at work and it's workish work today, so am just popping by to say hello then off to eat the leftovers I saved from lunch yesterday (eat till satisfied plan) and back to writing a report. BBL.

Pamb
05-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone, I have been busy farming this week and running for parts. It is raining today, so I think I will have a few days off, which by the look of my house I need it!
my walking has been going well, if its not raining too hard in the morning we are going and then heading to a farmer's mkt, our local mkt doesn't open for another 4 weeks (I usually take eggs and beef to that one from our farm, along with my daughters' soap products, aprons and stuff)
we had sad news with the death of my hubby's cousin-he was only about 40, very obese his adult life, its so sad, cause he had lost some, he leaves his wife and two daughters 9 and 12. they think he had a massive heart attack, gave me the incentive I needed not to stop for a soda while on a parts run this morning. please say a prayer for them if you are so inclined.
its cold along with the rain and I have a fire lit again in our outdoor wood burner!
I am not a fussy person when it comes to my hair, but the last cut she cut my bangs way too short-ah well, it will grow back.
my hubby has noticed that I am doing better since I started walking with friends, I see people at church Wed and Sun and we have a close group of farming friends-but the one on one or three and three is great, I also think I have a bit of depression with the cloudy days of winter.
I need to do some shopping for a few new outfits, we have two weddings coming up this summer, hoping to lose a few more pounds before I spend the money.
Jane, I would like that sticky!
Have a great weekend and enjoy celebrating mother's day-hug your mom if you can!
Pam

pattygirl63
05-07-2010, 07:33 PM
EVERYBODY HAVE A VERY HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND!!!

Carolis60
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Happy Mother's Day everyone! Enjoy the weekend!

We went out last night to help celebrate one of our grand daughters BD. Went to one of those places where they cook the food in front of you and do tricks with the utensils. Food was delicious and of course to salty I'm sure. Not weighing today, I know the scale had to go up. I had shrimp, scallops, fried rice, veggies, and a glass of wine. Not my normal dinner.

Decided we need to exchange my motorcycle jacket for a different one, so we're heading off to do more shopping. I'll tired of all this shopping! Want to be done with it. This is cutting into my painting time. LOL

Did go golfing yesterday and had a great time. I'm getting better, but it's very slow. Need to golf every week or at least hit a bucket of balls to get practice. It's a hard sport to learn. Fun riding in the cart though. :)

Carol

pattygirl63
05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Evening everyone,
Trish--Are you talking about Wendy Chant? That's the program I'm on and I love it. Kinda confusing at first, but asked questions on her forum and figured out how it all works. I bought her book on Amzn, and it really made sense to me. I've lost 21 pounds that I thought I would never lose, now I'm trying for the last ten. It's slow, but I'm a happy camper eating this way. Yes, we do zigzag a little and that's why I'm still on the program. We can have a few days eating most things and life goes on.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. I looked up her website and printed out her suggestion and am using it. I won't be able to count pts while on trip, however, I think I can still kind of do it by eating less some days and more others. I think I can do it using IE. I'll see how it goes and let y'all know when I get back.

MaezieZ
05-09-2010, 12:14 PM
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE!

:flow1:

Nothing new here--scale is staying steady, but I figure I lost so much in the first 2 weeks it has to catch up and be real weight loss. We had Mother's Day lunch yesterday at Olive Garden so I really didn't expect to lose anything--those darn breadsticks! (At least I didn't gain) But I'm trying to only celebrate real holidays now and Mother's Day qualifies.

Going to work out in the yard--at least until it starts raining. I had to stop feeding the birds because of that pesky peacock and I'm afraid he's going to be bugging me to feed him. I just keep telling him it's his own fault for scratching DH's car.

Have a lovely day everyone!

Doris

Carolis60
05-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Evening all,
Hope everyone had a relaxing Mother's Day!

Now it's back to a regular schedule for a few days. Didn't eat really good most of this past week, and didn't get in enough exercise. Back to protein and broccoli tomorrow. Really don't like the feeling of being stuffed. That's the way I use to feel after every dinner. It's nice going to bed without that feeling.

I was able to paint for about 4 hours this morning before going up to folks for dinner. It felt good to work and not be interrupted. Almost finished a project. Dh was working on the blinds and left me alone. Shopping all week for a jacket wore me out. We found me a jacket and ordered pants, so I think I'm taken care of. Looking forward to a weekend trip up the coast. We just putz along.
Trish--If you're thinking of trying Wendy's plan, the book is excellent and sells on Amzn. I have to get it back from my daughter so I can read it again. I need the reinforcement from it. She makes it so clear.
Carol

pattygirl63
05-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Evening all,
Hope everyone had a relaxing Mother's Day!

Now it's back to a regular schedule for a few days. Didn't eat really good most of this past week, and didn't get in enough exercise. Back to protein and broccoli tomorrow. Really don't like the feeling of being stuffed. That's the way I use to feel after every dinner. It's nice going to bed without that feeling.

I was able to paint for about 4 hours this morning before going up to folks for dinner. It felt good to work and not be interrupted. Almost finished a project. Dh was working on the blinds and left me alone. Shopping all week for a jacket wore me out. We found me a jacket and ordered pants, so I think I'm taken care of. Looking forward to a weekend trip up the coast. We just putz along.
Trish--If you're thinking of trying Wendy's plan, the book is excellent and sells on Amzn. I have to get it back from my daughter so I can read it again. I need the reinforcement from it. She makes it so clear.
Carol

Carol I don't like that stuffed feeling either. I try not to ever eat to that point and really get mad at myself when I do it which doesn't happen that often these days. That is why I couldn't do the Miracle Diet. You had to eat if you were awake during the night and that is one habit I didn't want to get going. I couldn't eat at 3 am and go to bed. Even tried drink part of a shake and was miserable. Thanks for telling me about Wendy's book. Right now the process seems to be working for me. I finally got the scales moving again and was down 5 lbs for this week. Kind of gives the incentive I needed to keep doing what I'm doing. Although I hope to work myself back toward IE, right now I need the WW pts as a limit guideline for now. I figure if it works... go with it.

Sorry not doing individuals right now. Too much to do to get ready to leave Friday. So just a quick :wave: to everybody.

Hope everyone is doing great and had a great Mother's Day yesterday.

bonnie824
05-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Happy ? Monday all. I am working on getting more natural, fun, feel good exercise in my days now. We walked some last week with the dogs and almost granddaughter, walked at a Celtic festival, and I did the weight machines once. Not enough really. I am trying to find things to fit into my everyday life that I enjoy. I was thinking a little AM and PM yoga and a short walk around lunchtime.

Pamb
05-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Good morning, I have gotten my walk done, we were able to get 4 laps in just before the rain came down. I just had my breakfast and need to get out and get my chores done, then get a shower we have a funeral to go to this morning. I am trying hard to get my eating under control, its hard, but I can't see doing the walking every day and then over eating. I have been taking the med for my cholesterol for a week and so far no problems.
Good to see you all in here. the support is great and its good to see that there are so many others who are willing to do that.
Pam

Jane
05-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Hello ladies,

Bonnie - you sure are on the right track with exercise. Like you, I find it much easier to do when I'm doing something I like. We bought a badminton set recently, and that game has me running all over the place, bending and stretching, and getting out of breath, lol.

Pam - awww, I'm so sorry for the loss of your DH's cousin. :hug: So young to be gone! Yes, I will keep the family in my prayers. Too sad. Speaking of sad - you may have a problem with SAD, as I do - Seasonal Affective Disorder. I have to keep lots of lights on in the winter to keep me in a happier mood. YAY for you with all the walking. Oh! I wanted to remind you that Geneen Roth is on Oprah tomorrow. Although I had trouble with the book, I do want to watch the show and maybe that will explain things better. If you remember, I was in a big funk when I was reading the book, and I think that was the problem.

Trish - Whoo hoo for the 5 pounds down! :cp: That's just wonderful! How long will you be gone? You will be missed here, my friend.

Carol - wow, I've never been to a restaurant like that, but would sure love to go! Glad you found a jacket (and pants!) that you like for riding. I've never golfed, but I know it isn't as easy as it looks, lol. My SIL Jason is a golf coach on the side, for high school students, and my grandsons are learning the game. I'm glad you're getting so much crafting done! I sat down last night and re-did a few scrapbooks pages that I had done years ago. So many more really cool embellishments and papers are available now, and my 1st pages look so basic and plain.

Doris - so funny about the peacock, lol! If it isn't yours, would the animal shelter pick it up? I'd LOVE to have it out here where I live, but would not want it to scratch my van, lol. I think most of us overate during our Mother's Day celebrations, so join the club, lol.

Coralee, Linda, Tammy, TracyWay, 2bMeAgn, and all others, a bg Hello to you!! :wave: Please pop in and say hi!

Well, the scales showed a gain on Saturday, but except for a couple extra treats on the Sunday before, I know I was OP, so I expect to show a better loss next time. Darn scales!! I started to feel down about the gain, then I gave myself the same speech I would have given to one of you, lol.

I'm working on the bio page, and should have that ready soon.

We're supposed to go to our granddaughter Makenzie and grandson Tyler's T-ball game tonight, but I think it will be rained out.

Toodles for now!

bonnie824
05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Good morning Jane and Pam and AWCA. It's a rainy morning here, which is good for the rain and the new plantings (well those whose new plants aren't still in the house on the sunny shelves.

Jane, Badmitton is a great idea! We use to love that, and crochet, but seem to have gotten away from all that as our kids aged out of it. We also have a little above ground pool off our back porch we could do beach ball volleyball as it gets warmer, but first I have to figure out how to tie the ball the the net so it doesn't fly around the yard.

Jane
05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
The Daily Chatters' Bio thread is stickied at the top of the Age 50+ forum page, and ready for you to copy and paste. It will be so much fun to know more about each of you!

MaezieZ
05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Hello Everyone,

Carol: I like the feeling of not being overstuffed and not getting the resulting Acid Reflux. That's part of what's keeping me motivated since the scale isn't moving too fast.

Jane: I wish I could send you that crazy peacock! We have a feral flock that roams around here. But something is not quite right with him--the hens ignore him. He almost got caught by a coyote a few years ago, but he luckily escaped. Last year he was hanging with the juvenile males, but he's usually by himself now. I feel sorry for him, but DH layed down the law (it was only his pos work car :mad:)

It was snowing here yesterday--like a blizzard, but the snow is already gone. I'm ready for spring.

Doris

pattygirl63
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Well I went to the new beautician for a perm today. She charges about $10 more, but I think she just may be worth it... of course depends on how long he perm lasts. All the beauticians who gave perms before kind holds the bottle up and squirts the stuff on the curls wildly. She does like I always did when I used to do my sister's and daughter's perms. She takes her time and does each individual curl. I don't there is anyway the perm won't last. I'm going to have do my highlight in 2 or 3 weeks. She even knows my old beautician. She said the old one used to work at this new place.

So much to do to get ready to leave Friday.

Y'all have a good one.

Carolis60
05-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Evening all,
Just a quick note tonight. Thank you Jane for the sticky.

Have made it to the Y's pool two days in a row. Tomorrow I'm planning on doing the machines and walking 2 miles. Have to add bone building exercising to my plan.

Catch every one tomorrow. Past my bed time.
Carol

Jane
05-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi ladies,

Bonnie - maybe you could put the volleyball in the top of some old pantyhose, then tie a long string to it to be tied to the net. Or maybe use a mesh potato sack. Btw, what is AWCA? I'm guess "All who" something something?

Doris - lol, your life sounds very interesting. Glad your snow isn't sticking around.

Trish - there's a lot to be said for having a stylist you trust and like. I'm lucky to have found one like that. How long will you be gone on your trip?

Carol - you are doing so well with the exercising! Bone strengthing is so important, and I know I should be doing more.

----> Ladies, would you please go ahead and add your bios in the new thread at the top on the Age 50+ page? Just fill in the answers that you're comfortable with. I tried to make kind of general - not too invasive. I can't wait to know more about each of you. :)

I went to my doctor today and while I was there, I asked her for an order to get my cholesterol checked. Now that I've been OP for over 3 months, I want to make sure I'm doing ok with it.

Toodles for now,

bonnie824
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
AWCA-all who come after.

The pantyhose idea was a hoot. Sadly I haven't worn then in a long time. I wear dressed once in a blue moon and if it's hot usually barelegged and if cold usually with tights.

Not much happening today. Ate too late last night because son made cookies and got deserved indigestion, then at past satisfied for lunch.

I hope the Oprah special this aftenoon I have set to tape motivates me to pay attention more.

TamTam
05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Been awol for the past few days, one of my managers wasin the hospital and we have been covering for her, will post more soon. God BLess. Tammy

MaezieZ
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone:

Trish: I hope your perm is the way you want it. My stylist died a few months ago (so sad) so I'm going to a youngster. I really like the way she cuts my hair.

Carol: Good for you doing all that exercise!

Jane: My SIL says that we live in the wilderness--not true, but I love nature so I'm never bored. Thanks for putting up the Bio posty. I'm glad to see that you are a Disney lover like me. Do you ever get to go to WDW with the grandkids? Obviously, we go to the DLR on the west coast because it's less expensive for us. I love WDW though, we've been there 3 times.

Bonnie: I can't watch Oprah so can you keep us informed? :^:

Tammy: Sorry to hear about your Manager; that's always stressful for everyone. Hope everything is okay.

Have a great day--what's left of it.

Doris

TamTam
05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Our Manager, Savannah, had HIGH Blood Pressure and a fast heart rate, she has some sort of siezure at Mass Suday, and they still do not know what is the cause, they sent her home, could be the b/p mixed in with her diabetes, and bless her heart, she is a worrier. But she is being prayed for so I know she will get better.

MaezieZ
05-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Good Morning,

Tammy: The conditions that Savanah had sounds like a scary scenario. I hope she is better soon! At least she has a good support group.

I'm going to order a 400 calorie cookbook to get dinner ideas :book2:. I tried doing the frozen diet food, but there is just too much of it I don't like. Wish I would have figured that out before I loaded up my freezer. :crazy:

Have a good day everyone!

bonnie824
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Good morning all. Kind of a wasted work morning since two of the kiddies I was suppose to evaluate were out sick. I think this pollen/spring weather has set up a lot of allergy issues for many.

Oprah was wonderful. If any of you are doing any kind of intuitive eating, non counting plans or even if you are on regular diets and know you emotional eat I bet Geneen Roth's new book would be great for you. It's Women, Food, and God. I ordered it so, will be posting stuff about it if you don't get one yourself.

My youngest is coming home for the summer today (from college) so I am very excited. Haven't seen her since we went up there to spend her spring break (Saint Patrick's week) with her.

Jane
05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi ladies,

Doris and Pam - thank you so much for adding your bios! I feel like I know you better already!

Bonnie - I liked the show, too. Seems Oprah did most of the talking, and Geneen said, "Yes" a lot, lol. When Oprah is all wound up like that, it is hard for her to let the guest speak. I was very touched when Oprah got all choked up about her feelings about being liked/accepted by others. We've all been there, I think. Oh wow, how exciting to have your daughter back for the summer! Any special things planned for while she's home? Would you please fill out a bio, too? I'd love so much to know more about you.

Tammy - oh dear, I sure hope your manager is much better by now. I miss reading your posts when your aren't here. When you get time, would you please fill out a bio, too? As I said to Bonnie, I'd love to know more about you.

Doris - well, one good thing about the frozen dinners you already have is that they will be there in a pinch, when you need them. Yes, we've been several times to WDW with the grands, and another trip is in the works for next Spring. Neal and I are giving the kids gift certificates and park tickets for birthdays and Christmas. Our younger DD, Katie, worked at WDW for a semester in college, and loved it. I am just a big kid at heart, and get so caught up in the magic of Disney.

Hello to all others reading this. :wave:

Today I went to a ladies monthly group at my church for the first time, and they celebrated Mother's Day as well as Memorial Day. It was fun. But imagine my delight when one of them said she was glad to see a young one like me there, lol! The group is made up of some of our most senior members, so I guess it's all relative, haha.

This evening is our weekly dinner out with my sisters and their sweeties. That's always fun. I divvy up my calories differently on Thursdays so I can still stay OP, yet not be deprived.

Toodles for now! :grouphug:

Pamb
05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
good afternoon, it has been raining heavy here all day, I just got back from an egg delivery and some shopping in town and the ditches and fields were over flowing! I saw the wife of hubby's cousin who died last Thurs in one of the stores, we visited for quite a bit, its just so sad. the rain has let up and I need to go out and get some big bales of hay out with the loader tractor. I made some queso blanco today, white cheese, from some raw milk I had, it looks like it turned out well. I am dealing with another kidney stone, wish it would pass, hate having to take the pain killers.
Jane, its the same when I help out the women at our church, always the youngest, they have their meetings early afternoon and I am usually busy then, but I do go help them out when I can.
My daughter and I took my gd to WDW several years ago, hubby nor gd's mom wanted to go, we had tickets left from when our kids were young that we didn't use, so we just had to buy tickets for gd for one day and me for one day and daughter bought her own, we went in mid January and stayed right at the park, so much cheaper, I would not mind doing that again. maybe when the other grands are older.
i missed Oprah, I do have the book and am reading that along with Fat Chance by Julie Haddon who was a runner up on Biggest Loser a few years ago.
Well, need to get out there and do those chores before the rain returns, I am so glad we haven't planted any crops yet! but this means the hay will need to be cut at the same time we will be planting!
take care. Pam
I don't know if I mentioned that although I have not lost any weight with my walking the last 3 weeks, I didn't get winded when I had to run and chase calves that were out yesterday! and have not had to use my inhaler as often~

TamTam
05-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Jane Ok, I am computer stupid, how and where do I fill out a bio AND if you say cut and paste or whatever I need step by step, seriously.

Fell at work today, tipped on hubby's foot, tried to get days off, yeah right!! Knee swollen and hurts, but will be fine, I really am a clutz!

Bonnie I really am looking forward on your comments on the book, hubby and I have a ride home of about an hour so today I am going to be reading to him from the Eden diet book, that way he is driving and can't get away from me and that's his punishment for putting HIS foot in MY way.

God Bless. Tammy

Jane
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Tammy - I'm giving you the link to the correct thread, which is here at the Age 50+ forum. Once you click on the link, you'll see the first post which I did, and part of it (the black questions) is the form you need to copy and paste.
1. To do that, put your cursor at the beginning of the form, hold down the left mouse button, and drag the mouse all the way down until the whole form (all the questions) turn blue.
2.Then let go of the left mouse button, and click on the right mouse button.
3.Find the word "Copy" and click on that. Then scroll down past the other bios, and hit the reply button just as you always do to post.
4.When you get your blank screen to write in, click the right button on your mouse again, and click on "Paste". Voila! There's what you copied!

It's easy once you do it a time or two. Go ahead and try it. You can't ruin it or anything. If you know how to print this page, you might want to do that so you can follow along as you go.

Once you get the form on your reply page, you can add your own answers.

Here's the link to get you started:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/201581-daily-chatters-bios.

If you have trouble, Private Message (PM) me, and I can get it done a different way.

Good luck!

cottagebythesea
05-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Good morning!

Sorry I haven't posted in here for a while. We've been pretty busy getting our garden planted, doing some landscaping, and starting our kitchen remodel, and between work and my other modding duties, I've been swamped! I want to try and get here more often, though, as I miss you all.

It looks like I have a lot of catching up to do!

MaezieZ
05-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Happy Friday everyone!

Bonnie: Thanks for the update about the Oprah show. Enjoy your time with your daughter--my boys never came home for summer because of their housing situations. Although one did quit school and then came home for a few years.

Jane: That's a great idea giving WDW tickets for presents. I'll have to remember that in case I ever get any gks. Funny about being the youngster at your meeting. Hope you had fun at your dinner.

Pam: Sorry about your new kidney stone. And it sounds like you're going to have your hands full with your crops. Hope you get the right amount of rain :rain: when you need it. Good news about getting in shape; it really doesn't take long I guess :running:

Tammy: Ouch about your foot! Hope you feel better. I fall all the time. I landed on my head :stars: falling on ice just before Christmas. At least I didn't break anything--there's just an hour out of my life I don't remember.

Have a great day everyone!

Doris

bonnie824
05-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi all. I filled out the bio Jane. It took me awhile to figure out where it was.

Tonight is our school's Relay for Life. I will probably not come till 9 when the rainstorms chance is done to see the luminaria light up ceremony. I have 2 dear lost friends names on them. I hope my daughter who just got home from college will join me. I should get lots of walking in anyway.

Yesterday evening we took the dogs and the (near enough) grand walking in a local park. Mostly we fed ducks and tried to keep her from falling down in her rainboots as she walked the big dog "by myself" but some walking at least got done.

TamTam
05-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Jave I fount it and I did it!!! So disregard the PM. God Bless.

Jane
05-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi ladies,

Pam - yay for you, not getting winded and also for not having to use your inhaler. Things like that tell a more accurate story than the scales, imo. We almost always stay on site, too, at WDW. The only time we didn't was the year we went to Universal, too. Pop Century is our favorite budget resort, and we'll be staying in All Star Movies next Spring, because the kiddos want to stay in the Toy Store building again. Youch, I hope you pass the kidney stone soon, or it dissolves.

Tammy - I don't know why the link doesn't work - it worked for me yesterday, but not now. But I'm glad you found the right place and I loved reading your bio!

Linda - we miss you, too! :hug: Neal brought in the first of the lettuce and some radishes today. He says we'll have lots of strawberries for Sunday. Whoot!

Bonnie - I love reading your bio, too! Our county's Relay for Life is this weekend, and my nieces and nephews are so involved with it. I'm going to try and stop by their campsite sometime tomorrow. What a great charity! Sounds like you had lots of fun with your granddaughter. I'll get to see most of my grands tomorrow, and I can barely wait!

Doris - another good idea for presents is gift certificates for the movie theaters. I give them for Halloween, with just a little bit of candy, since the kids get so much candy from everyone else. Goodness knows it costs an arm and a leg to go to the movie nowdays!

Trish - I hope you're enjoying your trip so far! This will be your first time seeing Jaxxon, right? I bet he's a cutie! Check in when you can.

Carol - have you been able to begin your bone strengthening exercises yet? I brought some hand weights into the living room, and use them sporadically. :o Not good enough, I know.

I got up early and went to town to the lab to get my blood drawn for the fasting cholesterol test. I was starvin' like Marvin by the time I got back home, but I'm glad that part is over. The doctor's office should call with my results by Wednesday.

I will have DGS Jackson most of the day tomorrow, and the rest of the family will be here for a dinner. At some point I need to spiffy up the house. Never ends!

Toodles,

MaezieZ
05-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Happy Saturday!

Sounds like everyone has big plans for the weekend. I'm not doing much today, I'm hoping for a long walk later today. But tomorrow is a marathon gardening day since DH is going to a ballgame (boys day out-no mom allowed).

Scale showed some movement :goodscale: I can fit into some shorts if I hold my breath, but now what do I do with that muffin top :yikes:? I am breaking down and counting calories because even though I'm eating healthier I think it's easy to go over the limit. But I hate keeping track-probably because I see reality.

DH and I saw the commercial for the new IHOP cream cheese stuffed pancakes and made a bet--I thought 1200 calories and he said 1500. I checked and it was 1476. That would be about the only thing I could eat all day.

Gotta go-trying to get a quick walk in this morning before I hit the stores. Have a wonderful day everyone!

Doris

bonnie824
05-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Good morning - or early afternoon. I have been up awhile, but still online drinking coffee and not showered or dressed. We got rained (well thunder and lighting stormed) out last night, but luckily after most money was raised and the luminaria ceremony and survivor laps were done. I won a raffle basket (actually donated by our group at work- a gardening one.

No plans today except maybe a little shopping. Tomorrow I have bible school by myself (3-5 year olds) because I singed my husband and myself up for all of May and he works every other weekend. Shouldn't say so, but I hope not too many kiddies come. Most weeks it's 4 or 5 but it could be up to 9 or 10 if all came.

Jane
05-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi ladies,

Doris -YAY for the scales showing some improvement! I think you're right to try and keep track of your calories, too, as well as eat healthily. They sure do add up, lol! Yes, I've seen the commercials for those pancakes. I wouldn't waste my calories on it, either. Sometimes I've had 2 small pancakes here at home, where I have portion control, lol.

Bonnie - glad the storm held off until the money was raised. Our relay in town is getting rained out today. Haha, I can't say I blame you for hoping the kid count is low tomorrow, since you'll be by yourself. Shopping for anything special today?

Remember how the scales went up last week, and I knew it was undeserved? Well, it's down 3.4 pounds this week! That brings me to 22.4 gone now. :cp: Although I don't like to let the scale affect how I feel, it does anyway.

Jackson is taking a nap, and I've got to go start cooking. Have a great weekend.

bonnie824
05-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Happy Sunday all. Bible school went well and there were only 4 kids counting my son's gf's little girls (my almost grand) and his gf helped me with the four there were.

Washing clothing on my new (green) applicances. We saved a lot of money buying at that cash for appliance rebate time. Our old set was as old as our marriage! 23 plus years.

Off to read. BB tomorrow.

MaezieZ
05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm either really late or really early,

Jane::celebrate: Good for you and your weight loss!

Bonnie: I'm glad your Sunday School class was a success.

Worked out in the yard for 7 hours and now I'm making some health soup. It's got all kinds of veggies in it. I made the whole receipe and it's way too much. Next time I'll cut it in half.

My arms are going to be killing me tomorrow :(.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Doris

TamTam
05-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Good morning all! Had to close down one of my stores today, a/c went out getting a new one, the landlord is paying but I will have to repay, but at least I am not adding it to the loan I have to do today for one of my other stores to put in 2 new units! I never ends!!! have a blessed day. tammy

bonnie824
05-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Running 3 stores sound like a crazy hard schedule, Tammy, hope you have good managers.
Nothing much happening here. A rainy kind of depressing day at work. I did eat out, eat slowly, and save over half the meal for tomorrow. Didn't exercise and won't. I am tired.

Carolis60
05-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Hello everyone,
Jane--Congratulations on the loss! I usually use the water weights in the pool and that's like lifting regular weights but easier. Also when I do the machines, it's like lifting weights too. I have to be careful of the weights because I have arthritis in my wrists and knees. I'll never have a body builder body. hehe

It was so cold today, I had to change from shorts to jeans and added a sweatshirt too. Suppose to have one more day like today, very cloudy, the house was so dark. Soon the temps will start to climb.

Made it over to the Y today and did 30 minutes of stretching and hip movements in the water. My knees have been bothering me so I only made it one time last week.

It was a quiet weekend for us, just stayed inside and worked on my projects.

I filled out the bio today. Nice to meet every one and know a little about them.

Scale dropped a bit today, but had a small gain yesterday. Back and forth...story of my life lately. :D But I'm working on it!! Some of my pants are starting to look big, but the next size down is sometimes to tight.

Even though I'm on a plan that doesn't count calories, I'm starting to do that. Keep thinking that I'm getting to many calories even though I eat the appropriate foods.

CottagebytheSea--Nice to see you! Love your picture of all the flowers.

Everyone have a great week.

Carol

Pamb
05-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Good morning all. I haven't been in much, been busy, we had a lot of rain the last several days, our son cut hay Sun and Mon and I was supposed to rake it today, but it rained early this morning and has just quit, so it will have to wait till tomorrow. my nanny daughter is visiting and going back home today-we have my grand daughter for the day today and are going to run some errands later. I walked this morning in the rain, glad I had put the umbrella back in the truck!
good job with the weight loss Jane!
Tammy you are a busy woman.
This weekend is my grand's 2nd bday and my son-her daddy-will be 30 on Thurs-he is our 'baby'! Going to have a get together on Sat for them.
Well, gotta get moving, I haven't lost any weight, but have made more of an effort this week so far, so am hoping by Friday I will show a loss.
Keep up the good work everyone.
Pam

MaezieZ
05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Good Morning everyone,

We had very light rain yesterday--just enough to get your car dirty. Since we are in the high desert on the eastern side of the Sierras we rarely get those nice steady rains. We haven't geared up for session yet so the days are going by so slowly especially when I think about what I could be doing in my yard.

Sounds like everyone is doing well!

:chef: My veggie soup is not any good (lots of veggies, but no meat=no flavor) so if anyone knows of a good recipe can you let me know? I'm eating it because I spent too much money making it. There was a time I would have tossed it, but the money situation is different now.

Have a great day, everyone!

Doris

Jane
05-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi ladies,

Bonnie - glad the SS class was small. Yay for new applicances, especially "green" ones. Remember when green ones meant Avocado Green, haha!

Doris - you can add some beef boullion and spices for flavor to your soup. I like Italian seasonings in mine. If you made too much, maybe you can freeze some. Just a thought. Hope your soreness has worked out some by now.

Tammy - oh dear, I hope the a/c is all fixed by now. Yes, it's always something. We own the house our DD Katie and her DH live in, and between that, and our own home, there is always something needing done. The screens on both of our screened in patios needed replaced in spots. At least that won't be too spendy.

Carol - it's been cold here, too. More like March than May. Calorie counting isn't too bad once you figure up your favorite foods. I calculated our casseroles, and such, and now it's a breeze to do. Good luck with it!

Pam - have fun with your DD and DGD today. It's been rainy here, too, and I'm past ready for sunshine!

I have had the best time reading your bios! You are a very versatile and interesting group of ladies!

Thank you for the kudos on my loss last week. :grouphug:

I got my cholesterol results today. Total was 193, so barely under the line for a healthy level. My triglyceride and LDL levels were just a tad high, so I'm working on getting them down. More oats, less egg yolks, lol.

We're headed to the grands' ballgames tonight, if they don't get rained out. Two of the kiddos are on the same team, and another one will be playing on a different taam, in an adjoining field.

Toodles for now!

Debbie
05-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone
I'm having trouble deciding where to post. I think I would fit in here. If you have room.:wave:
I'm a 55 year old mother of 2. grandmother to 1. I have lost a lot of weight but still have a lot to go. I need all the support I can get. I've been a member of 3fc for awhile but have been absent lately but I'm ready to get back on track.
I do calorie counting and water areboics at 24hr fitness.

Journeysend
05-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Hello

Just wondering if anyone here is on Ideal Protein program?

Jane
05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi ladies,

Debbie and Journeysend - :welcome: to you both!

Debbie - we sure do have room for you, and I'm glad you're here. Being part of a group like this is good for accountability. We'll help you stay focused. I count calories, too. There is a 24/7 fitness place near me, but I don't know if they offer water aerobics. That would be cool to go do that when I want. Maybe I'd actually even go, lol.

Journeysend - I'm not sure if any of the members here do the Ideal Protein WOE or not, but we'll be happy to support you with it, anyway. :) I used to do WW, then switched to calorie counting, based on whole foods as much as possible.

I've been busy in the house today - I got a wild urge to clean, and thought it best to strike while the iron was hot, lol. Tomorrow I'm making a couple big batches of soup, and also making a cute strawberry dessert for the kiddos when they get here Friday. Here's a link to it:

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/appetizers-snacks/healthy-snacks/strawberry-mice-687541/

Hope you all are having a good week. :grouphug:

bonnie824
05-19-2010, 07:13 PM
A quick hi as the finale of Modern Family is on tonight and I plan to be relaxing on the chair watching it. I will check out your strawberry recipe as I ordered a few quarts from someone at work whose husband farms. They deliver them the same day fresh picked and yummy.

MaezieZ
05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Good Morning!

Nothing new here. On one of the other forums someone was asking about sizes. I smugly wrote that I could fit into some of my 12s. Well I tried on some of my Columbia and Woolrich 12 shorts--what a difference! :fr:. No vanity sizing there at all to give a false sense of progress. But now I have a new goal to shoot for. I had to break down and get some 14s for my upcoming trip. I didn't want to worry about popping buttons or splitting seams. Or be one of those people that others look at and say "doesn't she look in the mirror before she leaves the house?".

When the farmers market starts in a few weeks I will get some great strawberries, but I can't wait until the Washington cherries are in the stores. My favorite fruit, but such a short season :(

Well have to start work now; hope everyone has a great day.

Doris

sadiemae2
05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I am new to posting. I think I would fit in with this group. I have about 30lbs to lose and have been working on the same 30 for quite some time. Lose a little, gain alot :( I do hope to gain some motivation by being in touch with others in the same boat.
Sadiemae2

Carolis60
05-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Hello

Just wondering if anyone here is on Ideal Protein program?

Hello,
Was reading the posts yesterday and found that there is a thread that supports the Ideal Protein program here. I was reading all the ladies posts. Sounds like everyone was doing pretty well and there was a lot of helpful hints on it.
I thought sent the web site to my daughter.

Carol

Carolis60
05-20-2010, 04:22 PM
I am new to posting. I think I would fit in with this group. I have about 30lbs to lose and have been working on the same 30 for quite some time. Lose a little, gain alot :( I do hope to gain some motivation by being in touch with others in the same boat.
Sadiemae2

Welcome Sadiemae2,
This is the site for encouragement. I'm just like you, been trying to lose the same 25 pounds for 40 years. :o Ya think I would have learned by now how to get it off and keep it off. But practice makes perfect, right?

What program are you following if any? Everyone on this site does what they think is best for them.

I'm following Wendy Chant Fight the Fat Lose Code, but I still have to tweak the program to fit me and the body. Starting to count calories also, which really isn't in the program, but if it works for me, than it's a good thing. I post on her site here too.

Got over to the Y yesterday to use the treadmill. Did 45 minutes and 2.2 miles @ 3mph. That felt really good. Watched an old Mattlock. Love those reruns.

Got to the pool Monday for 30 minutes and Tuesday for an hour, so I'm resting today.

Have a dentist appt. in about an hour.

Hey, scale is closer to my bee this morning.:carrot: :carrot: Yippee!! Pants are getting loser.

Will paint when I get home from the dentist. I've been a slacker not going in my paint room this morning. Did catching up on the computer with letters and FB. :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

Catch ya all later!
Carol

Jane
05-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Time for a new thread. See you at Daily Chat #4. :wave: