General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #1  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default How many suppliments are too many?

I'm a little worried that I may be over-supplimenting myself. Let me know if this sounds ok.

Capsaicin Pills (3 a day with each meal)
EGCG (3 a day with each meal)
A hair complex (2 a day - my hair is thinning and I'm freaking out)
Vit D (1 a day)
Fish Oil (1 a day)

What kind of suppliments are you guys taking?
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I take a daily vitamin, niacin, folic acid, and fish oil. All were recommended by my doctor - except for the fish oil. I decided to take that on my own but after I told him I had started taking it, he suggested that I double my dose.

I'm also currently trying Juice Festiv a mutli-antioxidant supplement. My pharmacist gave me a two month trial. I doubt that I'll continue with it, because I do eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

As for how many are too many - you can 't assign a number. It depends entirely on the supplement. You could take 100 supplements safely (not cheaply, but safely) or 1 supplement dangerously.

There are some really good books on vitamins and supplements (My husband and I bought the book Vitamins for Dummies). Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) are stored in the fat cells, and overdose can be harmful. Water soluble vitamins are less dangerous. It was once thought that unlimited amounts were safe and risk-free, because it was thought that the body excreted what it didn't use. More modern research has linked some health problems to excessive vitamin C intake. Tooth enamel loss (if chewables are used) and formation of kidney/bladder stones.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #3  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

When I remember to take them I take a multivitamin, an omega-blend thing (at work, can't remember the specific name!)and a calcium+zinc tablet (I always fall a tiny bit short on calcium).

Personally I think less is more, so I'd ditch the "Capsaicin Pills" and "EGCG" as imo they are unnecessary.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I see a naturopathic doctor that has put me on a laundry list of supplements (after getting blood labwork done):

probiotic twice a day
vitamin d
liquid vitamin b complex once a day
vitamin b chewable once a day
green tea extract (3)
fish oil twice a day
multivitamin
herbal tincture with meals
sleep aid before bed
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote