South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Can someone tell me how bad this was?

We had an "emergency" lunch today. Had to go grab something quick. So, I got a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger and a ceasar garden side salad. Threw away the bun, had no sauce, just the lettuce, american cheese, and patty. The salad I threw away the croutons, and the dressing. Used our own Newman's own, but this had pieces of Asiago cheese. I'm thinking the cheese wasn't reduced fat...it was really good, and filling. I'm thinking if its not a bad choice, I might start doing this as my go to emergency meal. Can someone tell me if its good or bad for phase 1? Thanks!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

It wasn't' the worst, but something that you should only indulge in very occasionally. The burger most likely had a lot of fat in it, and American cheese is all processed. And regular bacon isn't SBD friendly, either. But I think you did pretty well under the circumstances, and probably didn't do much damage. You may find that you're up a little because of the sodium in the meal, but if you are back on plan and drinking lots of water, that will be gone in no time.

Congratulations for not going completely off plan and doing the best you could!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Yes, it's not terrible but not recommended frequently. When in a situation like that I feel (personally) the best choice is to stay as far away from the white carbs as possible. Your choices were not ideal in terms of the fat content, but you did the best you could in the circumstances. This is a lifetime way of eating and you will come up against these situations again.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
Congratulations for not going completely off plan and doing the best you could!
I agree! I generally try to stay out of fast food places because I start to want other things, but I have done similar in a pinch. One night we "ended up" at McD on our way to a movie because when we got to our fav restaurant it was Prom night. I grabbed some Whole wheat buns at the grocery and ordered a plain hamburger and put it on my own bun. Sometimes it's all about damage control!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #5  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

So in a pinch what would have been a better choice as far as protein? I know this is bound to happen again, so I am really open to suggestions. Like the chili? is that Phase 1 friendly? I tried googling for like an hour beforehand just trying to figure out what to do, and I couldn't find any really good recommendations. Even if its a different restaurant that offers something a bit better. I do kind of feel thirsty today, and not so great today.... :P

Last edited by PinkHoodie; 04-23-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #6  
Motivated for Success!!

Height: 5'7"

I'd say in a pinch, order one of the grilled chicken sandwiches and peel the bun off of that. The chicken has to have somwhat fewer fat/calories than the greasy burger. I'd also skip the cheese and the bacon.
KellyEnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #7  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

Maybe I will just stick with salads...I was just kind of freaked out because the Wendy's here has the calories posted and the one with the least amount of calories was over 500 calories!! Guess this just tells me I will have to be extra careful about planning meals. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyEnix View Post
I'd say in a pinch, order one of the grilled chicken sandwiches and peel the bun off of that. The chicken has to have somwhat fewer fat/calories than the greasy burger. I'd also skip the cheese and the bacon.
Usually grilled chicken would be the better choice, but in many fast food places the chicken has been soaked in a brine of salt and sugar solution prior to freezing it and probably has been brushed with butter or another fat before grilling for added flavor. So beware.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHoodie View Post
I tried googling for like an hour beforehand just trying to figure out what to do, and I couldn't find any really good recommendations. Even if its a different restaurant that offers something a bit better. I do kind of feel thirsty today, and not so great today.... :P
Is there a possibility of finding a more "local" place rather than good ol' fast food? While my DH is more than happy to load up on a supersize meal at any one of our 6 FF drive thrus, he is also very content to go to our local diner which has options for both of us. We went to Moes awhile back-he got his traditional and I had black beans and salsa for which they charged me under $2.

How about a deli in the local grocery? Ours has a salad bar, full hot deli and a place to sit down.

The reality for me, is that because I know that most of the franchises are preparing food designed to be tasty and tempting rather than healthy, we just don't go anymore. As I get better at making freezer soups, etc, it's actually sometimes faster (and cheaper) to eat at home.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #10  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

I'm trying to think of something like a salad bar...but the only place that has something like that is those all you can eat buffets :P The Deli has already prepared salads, so you never know what goes into those.
I think I just have to do what you said...learn how to make quick stuff at home. Freezer soups intrigues me. That would be something quick to throw in the microwave but you know what's in it. Do you do that with any soup recipe?