Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #1  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Nighttime Cravings when I'm alone... D:

Every night, it's always the same. I come home, crave something sweet, eat my allotted Weight Watchers ice cream cup and sit around. But when I make my lunch for the following day, I start snacking uncontrollably. Does this have something to do with my time of the month, or is this me being out of control and blaming it on something else?
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

I am not sure. Only you can really know the answer at times to why we overeat.

Are you feeling deprived? When you feel deprived do you feel you deserve a treat? Are you just not eating enough calories? Is something going on with your blood sugar causing you to binge? have you tried not having certain foods in your house, and when you have a craving, opting for a healthier snack?

for me, I know that having some type of binge foods in my house is not good for me at all. I can avoid them for a long time, at times, but if they are there, and I am ravenous, then I am going to binge on them.

Have you tried more filling food items that will keep you full when you have the munchies?

I have a problem as well with night time eating---but I think it is due to not eating for too many hours before the evening (usually over 6 hours between meals), and trying to use food as a way to de-stress after work.

So far, I have tried to use filling, low calorie foods, like certain veggies and fruit----or high protein, low-carb options that help my hunger, but don't have a lot of calories.

We are here for you when you have those cravings. why not post your thoughts when a craving happens?.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #3  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

That's actually a great idea Thanks!
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

It sounds like you start snacking when you pull food out to make your lunch... can you maybe get up a few minutes earlier in the morning and pack your lunch then, instead? You might be less likely to binge in the mornings?

Are you eating enough for dinner? I have been having a hard time in the evenings, too. I am trying to find other ways to distract myself (I do a lot of puzzles - search word, sudoku, etc.) and I make sure I have a good, healthy, filling dinner so I am not hungry later.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/220/140

Height: 5'9.5

I might be looking to much in this but your title says "when i'm alone" maybe that may be a trigger and you might have to do some deeper work as to why you turn to snacking when your alone or feel alone. If this is really an issue for you believe me you are not alone, when i'm studying and hit a road block or feeling the slightest of boredom I have major cravings
LastTrain2Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #6  

I agree with the loneliness comment as well, but only because I am experiencing. I know that my eating is more intense when I am home...alone. I have a lot of issues around being alone. I really worry about being older and alone and a senior citizen.

Maybe keep the unhealthy food out of the house, and when you have those cravings at night, fill yourself instead with salad (and not potato or macaroni) and soup until you can work on feeling less alone in your place.

((hugs))
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #7  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

I'm a nighttime snacker too, and it's worse since I'm completely a night person. Usually I'm the only one in my house awake after 10:00PM. I found that eating more at dinner was a bad idea for me because eating at night is a habit whether I'm really hungry or not, so I'd end up eating more at dinner and snacking too. Since it happens each time when you go to make your lunch, it sounds like maybe it's a habit for you too. Try breaking the habit. Make your lunch at a different time like in the morning as SCraver suggested. You have a routine, so mix it up. I think distracting myself helps the most. I chat with friends (especially over the phone because I don't like to eat while I'm talking to people). Try journaling, reading, etc. or any hobby/chore that keeps both your mind and your hands busy. Like tonight I decided to come to 3FC and post. At first I was looking for posts that didn't have any replies and replying so people would have at least one comment waiting for them when they return to the board. Good for both them and me. I hope this helps!
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9

I also have issues with this, particularly -you guessed it- while I'm alone, such as when my husband's working late or sleeping. So I appreciate everyone's good advice! Don't have much to add of my own but I'm eager to try someone else's advice.
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #9  

I think a good part of the reason for my not losing weight fast is because I do eat after 7pm, and I snack a lot. So, I may not have a full meal, but I will have a lot of little snacks once I get home.

I am going to stop eating after 7pm, and see if I will lose more weight.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/149/135

This topic is why I'm on this board tonight I try and keep myself busy, or really, I try and keep my hands busy. I also stay out of the kitchen (which is why you're having trouble).

I try drinking herbal tea and eating a piece of fruit, but some nights it's just horribly difficult (for me, anyway). I'm really resisting tonight and feeling resentful and unhappy.
Fit Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/189/130

Height: 5'6

These are all great ideas! I struggle with nighttime cravings as well, like you wouldn't believe!
Does anyone else go through the day doing alright with eating/counting calories/diet, and then at night just binge? I find myself doing that quite often and it's just unbelievably frustrating. Most times I'm not even hungry! I always feel the need to eat when I'm watching TV or movies...old habits die hard!

I'm new to this site, but the amount of support here is great! And the inspiration from you all to keep moving forward no matter what is so encouraging. (Especially for someone like me who needs motivation quite a lot. :P)
slambamitsalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 281/181/165

Height: 5'7

Hello... just a few ideas I have
I started reading this book about your metabolism and if you put some junk in your body it will just crave more and it is a never ending cycle. maybe try almonds at night just 12 with a few dark chocolate chips if you have a sweet tooth. try to eat whole foods as much as you can. i close my kitchen after I have dinner I will stay busy because in the evening I am by myself also, so I take a nice bath, read, go on my laptop, and especially brush your teeth so nothing will taste good LOL
good luck !! HUGS
lovinww is offline   Reply With Quote