Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Question Beck Diet Solution and Overeating

I was reading the Beck Diet Solution, which I find to be a really good book. There is a part of the book which says to stop reading if you have an eating disorder and I stopped because I have issues with overeating- don't know if I have an eating disorder though. I binge sometimes but I don't know if I have binge eating disorder, so I wasn't sure if I should keep reading this book or if it wasn't for me. Can anyone relate? Any advice?

Amy

Last edited by seabiscuit; 04-22-2010 at 11:15 PM.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi Amy (seabiscuit) - glad to hear you're reading Beck.

Your question is a personal call. My take is that all of us over-eat and some of us call it binging when we eat a lot. I'm not qualified to know if you have an Eating Disorder (ED) or not - only you and a trained ED counselor could determine that. Do you have the opportunity to talk to a counselor?

But if your over-eating is occasional - even if a lot - I'd suggest you give the Beck program a full fledged effort. You will quite likely find that the strategies do help combat the desire to eat.

Good luck with your decision.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I read that as "bulimia or anorexia," although I agree that overeating is sometimes, correctly, considered an eating disorder. But overeating is the behavior that Beck targets. I used to binge eat, so I went ahead with Beck and it has helped me stop the overeating behavior. I continue to hold in reserve the idea that I may want to seek professional help if things get harder for me than they are now, but I would be doing that alongside Beck, not instead of it.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #4  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Thanks so much for your input! I think I am going to talk to my trainer and therapist about this and see what they think. I want to try it but I don't want a "diet" - I thought Beck was not a diet per se, but a cognitive approach to weight loss. I am reading Intuitive Eating which says to reject the diet mentality, so I don't want to be reading contradictory books.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote