Does it Work? - Metamucil seems to be changing my life!!! (TMI?)

mescelestus
04-22-2010, 06:29 PM
I (at the ripe old age of 20) have been suffering from chronic constipation for a LOOOOONG time! It seems that I am hardly regular no matter how much water I drink, how active I am, how much fiber, how many veggies etc. Most of my friends eat a fiber one bar, and are running to the bathroom (its frustrating). And it is sometimes frustrates me to the point if tears that I was robbed of my youth with a fat, constipated body (both of my parents are regular, and they are 50!). I sometimes resort to laxatives or special teas after not moving my bowels for a couple of days, but those are harsh, not good for me, and can not be used all the time. Friday, I was in a bad mood all day because I was constipated, and my aunt was laughing at me saying I reminded her of her mother (my grandma). Two days ago I purchased some metamucil (the powdered orange one that you add to water) It tastes good, and the results have been great! It is the first thing I have ever tried that seems to be getting my bowels in check, and it is safe to use daily :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

My point to all of this is: Even though the beginning of this post was dramatic, I now find it AMUSING that at 20 years old, METAMUCIL is changing my life LOLOLOL!

Mmckellen
04-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I saw this post on the 3fc homepage and just had to respond. My husband and I also take Metamucil every day and I don't feel right unless I do. I just detest the feeling of not going in the AM. When I take the Metamucil (we actually use the CVS brand which is much cheaper) I go every morning first thing and it is a great way to start my day. TMI??? But still!

Shytowngal
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Do you drink it once a day or more? In the morning or at night?

mescelestus
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I have just begun...you are supposed to have one rounded teaspoon in one 8oz glass of water up to 3x a day. It is def better if the water is warm or hot. And I will def take it at least every morning. And I will be experimenting with if I want to take it after lunch or after dinner...I don't want to take it the full 3x a day.

mom with issues
04-26-2010, 09:22 AM
This is just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. My 12 year old son was also having digestive problems. He would have a BM about every 3 or 4 days. We took him to a doctor several years ago and she put him on a laxative, polyethelyne glycol. It worked as long as he was taking it, but the problems returned after he stopped. Recently we (I am doing this with him for support) started seeing a doctor who specializes in nutrition and 2 weeks ago he told us to stop all grains and dairy. It sounds hard, but once you get used to it, it really isn't. You get to drink Almond milk, which is non-dairy, but really, really good. Anyway, since then, my son now has a BM mostly once and sometimes twice a day and he has also lost 10 lbs. I have lost 6. I have also read several nutrition books recently (especially about digestive problems) and the 6 that I read all said NO dairy. I am not saying that this will work for every one, but it sure has for us. I also have a lot more energy and just feel better overall. Don't mean to be preachy, just wanted to throw this out there.

Kristikins
04-29-2010, 07:36 PM
I had issues much like yours and one day had some severe issues and had to go to my dr. He said "metamucil EVERY DAY"...I took his advise; and now 13 years later am still doing metamucil everyday! I drink mine at night, a couple hours before bed. And for a long time now, I'm actually going twice a day!!! WHo knew how good your body could feel just by "going" every day!! I like the berry kind the best!

mescelestus
04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Mom with issues, I have tried the no dairy thing several times, all when my symptoms have gotten worse, and I went off it for 2 weeks last month. Nothing seems to change...I think my body is just SLOW.

Yes Kristikins, I think last week (my first week with metamucil) Was the BEST week of my life LOL!

Shortymac
07-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Talk to your doc ASAP at your age I was diagnosed with chrons (later changed to IBS). Both are serious conditions and could result in death if not taken care of. I found success with the scd diet. Bans all starches and some dairy. Please go!

StephanieM
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Is metamucil gluten free?

I find with a gluten free diet I have trouble getting enough fiber at times, and I don't go as often as I did. I miss my morning poo's :(

kateleestar
07-19-2010, 12:39 PM
My best friend has IBS and Chrons, among other things. She swears by metamucil... :) I'm glad you found something that works for you! YEY!

Onederchic
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
For years and years, I went to the bathroom for a movement about 3-4 times a week. About a year and a half ago, maybe a little less, I started drinking water with Metamucil 3 times a day and now I go every day and I feel a lot better. Metamucil is my bff :p :D

Stella4
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
When I went to pick up some metamucil, there were like (what seemed) 15 different kinds. Pill forms, powders, sugar free, pink lemonade, berry, orange, chocolate wafers.... i left the store even more confused and empty handed.

So what should I get?!?

Onederchic
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I just use the original orange powder one but is is sugar free.

StephanieM
07-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I answered my own question :3 Metamucil IS gluten free so safe for me to have.

Another positive :)

jenny79
07-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I have said these exact same words to my sister. "Metamucil changed my life!" I'll tell anyone. I was one, though, that didn't really "know" I was constipated. I just never felt good afterwards and cleaned out. Metamucil is also my bff. :-) I would think that I would be losing some weight though with all the other crap, literally, that I'm losing lol. ??

StephanieM
07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I bought it and I enjoy it very much :) It's so nice to have a solution to constipation that is safe for me!

My only concern is on the label it says to not use laxatives more than 1 week, and there are so many people who take it on a daily basis. Does anyone have any insight into that?

Onederchic
07-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I bought it and I enjoy it very much :) It's so nice to have a solution to constipation that is safe for me!

My only concern is on the label it says to not use laxatives more than 1 week, and there are so many people who take it on a daily basis. Does anyone have any insight into that?

I don't have any insight, no :( but I am one that takes it on a daily basis and I will also add, that I happen to run out one time and couldn't get to the store for 2 days and those 2 days were bad for me cause I couldn't uhh "go" :o

love2b150
07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for this thread, I just started drinking prune juice every other day and it works like 4-6 hours later. But it will still only work on the days I drink it (I guess just like Metamucil) and it's 180 calories in one cup. I wish I had known about the affects of Metamucil a long time ago.

Stella4
07-23-2010, 01:53 PM
This is what I always wondered.... is metamucil a laxative or a fibre supplement? Are you actually supposed to use it daily? And for how long? The rest of your life?!

love2b150
07-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I googled it, here is what the website says:

Is it OK to use Metamucil every day?
As a dietary fiber supplement:
Metamucil can be taken every day as a dietary fiber supplement. If you are considering use of Metamucil as part of a cholesterol-lowering program, please consult a doctor before using.

As a fiber laxative:
Metamucil is indicated for treating occasional constipation. Constipation persisting beyond seven days may be a sign of a more serious condition. We recommend you discuss with your doctor the use of Metamucil as a fiber laxative on a long-term basis.

Stella4
07-23-2010, 08:19 PM
So it's both? Or whatever you decide it to be?

I don't get it. :S

love2b150
07-23-2010, 10:35 PM
I know Stella, the sites response is so vague. It covers itself for sure. I guess it is best to ask a doctor. :?:

StephanieM
07-24-2010, 12:20 AM
The information I've found so far refers to it as a laxative, and that the way that it works is the psyllium husk swells in your intestines with all the water you drink, and that helps "open them up" to help with flow.

Cglasscock1
07-24-2010, 12:44 AM
I believe the psyllium in Metamucil is considered a fiber, so Metamucil is a fiber laxative, rather than a stimulant laxative. Stimulant laxatives can be habit forming for your colon, so doctors generally discourage using stimulant laxatives for a lengthy time. I think Metamucil is fine to use every day.
I've had IBS for years, so I know more than a I want to know about this subject!

Stella4
07-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, that makes a little more sense to me. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday and I'll make sure to ask. I'll post whatever my doctor says on Monday evening!

love2b150
07-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Carol, thanks for explaining the difference, I've never paid attention, I guess because I never had to but now it's a need to know thing. Thanks again.

And love it ... EVERYDAY IS A GIFT! and we have been blessed to see it :)
Have a wonderful day

marielenrdz
07-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Interesting thread and glad to see Metamucil has helped so many people. I believe it is safe to use daily as a fiber supplement. But I have also noticed that on days I don't use it, I don't "go". That's a little annoying because I'd like to allow my body to do it's own thing naturally without the help of any assistance! And sometimes I just get tired of drinking Metamucil. But in the long run, I guess it's worth it because I love feeling that (sorry TMI alert) big relief ....... I feel like I've dropped 3lbs after one of those "movements" and I feel so clean inside!

Shortymac
07-28-2010, 11:48 AM
I prefer benefiber bc it's finely grounded up instead of just pysillium husk, thus easier on my IBS system.

jenny79
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
My Dr. is actually the one that told me to start taking it. I had my gallbladder out last August and was still have a lot of pain in my stomach. He said it was bile that my stomach was having a hard time getting rid of and the Metamucil would help bind that up and flush it out. I didn't know about these other added "benefits" until then. I don't plan on ever stopping!

Sugar free vs. regular for me.......I love the taste of regular. My sister bought SF and decided she didn't want it so she gave it to me and I don't like it. I'll finish it because it was free but I don't like the taste as well and it seems to get thick in my glass way quicker than the regular. I just like the plain orange kind too.

femmecreole
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
My husband had this problem for years and years. He is a very young 61 going on 21. He started drinking essiac tea (google it) about 2 years ago and it has make his life a lot better in that department. It also has a lot of other healthy benefits, so he gets a 2fer with it. (the taste is isn't great, but worth it)

SarahD140
07-28-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm the odd one out, I just bought benefiber. lol. Have yet to try it, but sooo glad to know I am not alone.

Also, cheese is major culprit for me. Guess its true what they say about dairy

Stella4
07-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I asked my doctor and she said Metamucil was a great way to add fiber to any diet and get things moving. She also suggested bran buds and ground flax seeds.

I picked up some Metamucil though (regular orangle flavour), but I haven't tried it yet.

eclipse
07-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I have a rectal prolapse (which basically means that due to weak tissue in the area, my rectum has shifted positions - the only way to fix it is surgery, and I'm not up for that at this point). Anyhow, because of the position of my rectum, I have a very hard time passing bowel movements. Metamucil + a stool softener (not a laxative) daily is the only thing that keeps me from being miserable.

DawnDawn
07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
It's so funny because I am 27 years old, and until 3 years ago (when my boyfriend moved in) I never realized that "going" twice a week was NOT normal! For as long as I could remember, I go 2-3 times a week...tops. I guess I never feel uncomfy or feel constipated, but then again, I have no idea what it's like to "go" often, so maybe I do feel that way?? LOL. I just got diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and have blamed it on my horrible,evil metabolism/thyroid. I'm going to add Metamucil and see how I feel.

miriko
09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
I so feel like running out now and buy metamucil... I guess I also never realized that I dont go that often... I wonder how it will feel!

StephanieM
09-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Looking back on this thread, I've been using it since on and off and I go twice a day now. I love it :)

annie175
09-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I am a bariatric (RNY-gastric bypass) person, and have to take Muralax (CVS brand Puralax) everyday due to the vitamins, minerals and IRON I take daily. My doc is the one who recommended I do this and it is marvelous. Muralax/Puralax is absolutely tasteless just in case you get tired of the Metamucil.

ckatgo
09-17-2010, 07:39 AM
I use to take citricel tablets and it worked wonders! I am thinking I am going back to them as I have had issues lately. It seems to me that metimucell (sp?) makes things worse when I take it! YIKES....I didn't get that with the citricel.

marty8585
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Has anyone experienced gas issues with metamucil??
i used to take movicol or fiber one cereal and even if it was working i had too much gas.. and it was annoying!! thank you!

StephanieM
09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I'll admit, sometimes a little bit! It's not uncontrollable or anything so the benefits of regularity matter more to me.

I think I've always been a gassy person though, ask my fiance hahaha.

ShellydeFlores
11-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Marty8585-- i take Metamucil several days a week to make up for my fiber-lacking diet. I don't have any more gas than I did before. Now with the Fiber One cereals and bars, I had horrrrendous gas. OMG it was aweful. I stopped taking those completely. The BM benefits were just not worth the trouble.

JMSilver
11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Yay for finding something that works! I've had chronic constipation since I was a kid. I can't take Metamucil because it has aspartame (I couldn't find original/no flavour in case someone takes that and it doesn't have the sweetener) and even small amounts of that stuff makes me sick. But I do loooove having Benefiber on hand. Works like a charm.

That being said, I've started walking for an hour most mornings, and an hour seems to be the golden spot. Without getting into any details, let's just say I haven't had to add Benefiber to anything lately.

nelie
11-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Metamucil is psyllium husk fiber, if you go to any health food store and ask for psyllium husk, they should have it. No additives.

bandit2
11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I add the orange metamucil to my vanilla smoothies - very good.

JMSilver
11-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Metamucil is psyllium husk fiber, if you go to any health food store and ask for psyllium husk, they should have it. No additives.

The only ones I could find at my local place were berry and orange, both of which had aspartame.

That's okay, though. If it is psyllium husk fibre, then I can't take that either. :dizzy: I got psyllium husk from a health food shop because someone recommended it to me and it mucked up my system.

I guess I'm just weird. :dizzy:

Yay for Benefibre (and now, exercise).

slimlizzie2
12-08-2010, 07:16 AM
any coments on Benefiber?

JMSilver
12-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I definitely heart benefibre. It's easy to use, I've never been able to taste it in anything I've put it in (mostly shakes and smoothies). Sometimes it does form lumps, but that's mostly when I mix it in with my meal shakes and the meal shake powder sometimes has lumps, too, so... And it works like a charm, too. Just make sure you check the dosages and figure out what's right for you.

ToriJ
12-09-2010, 02:58 PM
OMG. LOL. I have had the same issues as you my entire life! I am only 26. I remember only being bout 6 years old and my grandma saying it wasn't normal for me to go only once every 5 days or more! Crazy huh? I have found that Miralax is the best. It doesn't make my tummy hurt an usually produces results in 24hours! I have thought about trying Metamucil and I just might now. I feel a million times better when I am empty :) hahaha

men7al
12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I (at the ripe old age of 20) have been suffering from chronic constipation for a LOOOOONG time! It seems that I am hardly regular no matter how much water I drink, how active I am, how much fiber, how many veggies etc. Most of my friends eat a fiber one bar, and are running to the bathroom (its frustrating). And it is sometimes frustrates me to the point if tears that I was robbed of my youth with a fat, constipated body (both of my parents are regular, and they are 50!). I sometimes resort to laxatives or special teas after not moving my bowels for a couple of days, but those are harsh, not good for me, and can not be used all the time. Friday, I was in a bad mood all day because I was constipated, and my aunt was laughing at me saying I reminded her of her mother (my grandma). Two days ago I purchased some metamucil (the powdered orange one that you add to water) It tastes good, and the results have been great! It is the first thing I have ever tried that seems to be getting my bowels in check, and it is safe to use daily :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

My point to all of this is: Even though the beginning of this post was dramatic, I now find it AMUSING that at 20 years old, METAMUCIL is changing my life LOLOLOL!

I was addicted to stool softners bc,I too have hard time going and now plan on getting it since,it won't make me sick.

I heard that the aligngi.is good too.I will buy both.I can't stand not being able to eat much bc,of my tummy.

glad is working for you.

deetermined2
12-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I take Benefiber in my first cup of coffee and it really helps. It is Gluten-free, doesn't usually clump, but it does contain grain, which some of the plans are against, and it is low carb.

I also find a small amount of old fashion oatmeal (1/3 cup dry mixed with a 1/2 cup water, I don't do soupy) really makes a difference.

I notice immediately when I miss either.

I tried psyllium caps but never took enough to really get results.

My husband uses Metamucil or equivalent, but I avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Has anyone found a Metamucil with stevia?

Or an unsweetened Metamucil?