General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Skin issues

Since I've gotten big, I've developed several small (barely noticeable unless you're looking for them, but you can definitely feel them) skin tags on my neck and chest. I also have a light tan band around my neck that didn't appear until I got really big (it's a sign of insulin resistance).

Did anyone else get these as they gained weight? Did they go away when you loss?

***fingers crossed!***
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

When I was heavier, my guess would be 350 or more not entirely sure what I weighed before I left my (now ex) husband I had the dark band at the back of my neck, and in the small of my back right at the center (for visual purposes right where a lower back tattoo would go). Once I hit 330 that went away. As for skin tags, I'm not prone to them but my mother is, and she gets a lot less of them now that she's lost 70 pounds. I would guess genetics would play a part in it as well as weight. Once my weight hit 330 as well my periods became regular again. I would go months without one before then have it extremely heavy for about 3 weeks. I'm glad I'm done with that.

I am interested to hear if others have had the same results with the darkened skin patches.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #3  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

My skin got very very happy once I started to lose the weight. I also had that light tan band and that went away (**thank goodness**). Also at my high weight my skin was oily and I tended to get a lot of blemishes. Since my lifestyle change last year (aka eating healthy) my skin is so freakin' clear and happy, I can't remember the last time I had a blemish!!! For me, eating healthy made my skin (and hair) noticeably healthier. Those nasty problems that came with the weight pretty much disappeared.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Prior to changing my diet and losing weight, I had raging acne, darkened skin, skin tags, etc etc etc. Now, my skin is lovely and smooth and radiant and clear and easy to take care of. It took cutting out all sugar and white refined crap and coffee to do it for me.

Good luck to you. There is hope
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

It could be PCOS. I suspect I have it but I am not going to bother getting testing unless the symptoms do not start to clear up once I get closer to my goal weight. I just have the acne/dry scalp issue, as well as a couple skin tags.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #6  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i agree- those are signs of PCOS - which insulin resistance is a part of. I think that the change in your lifestyle and losing weight will likely greatly improve them. i'm hoping on it for myself.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Yes, the dark skin may be Acanthosis nigricans, which can be a sign of insulin resistance &/or PCOS. You can Google it. Have you been tested for diabetes? It often fades if the underlying cause is treated appropriately.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #8  

Thanks for the responses! You guys are great! Glad to hear that it'll probably clear up as I lose weight. It didn't start to develop until I got to about 265 or so, so I'll be looking for it to start clearing as I get under 250. (Yay!)

murphmitch- I haven't been formally tested for diabetes, but my grandmother has it and I occasionally check my fasting blood sugar and after meals. It's always within normal range. I doubt I'm diabetic since I have none of the traditional signs and my blood sugar has never been outside of the normal range, but I was definitely concerned about that given the tan band and my weight!

I've suspected PCOS for some time now and I'm going to have my doctor look into at my next appointment. I've read pretty extensively about PCOS and I fit about half of the symptoms. I know weight is important to managing it, so I guess it's a good thing I've finally got my butt in gear!!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

PCOS/IR patient. Working on weight loss to fade the AN patches. I posted pix here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ns-fading.html

Anyway, yeah. The will fade as you improve the IR.

Skin tags -- not so much on me. I have a few in my armpit, but I suppose if they were more obvious I might see a derm. to have them removed.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #10  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I had a skin tag on my neck once and found an online home remedy that actually WORKED on it. Basically you just put that liquid "new skin" stuff on it a couple of times a day for a few weeks and eventually it falls off. The stuff smells terrible but it works!
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquot View Post
I had a skin tag on my neck once and found an online home remedy that actually WORKED on it. Basically you just put that liquid "new skin" stuff on it a couple of times a day for a few weeks and eventually it falls off. The stuff smells terrible but it works!
I'll have to check that out- thanks!