Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What do you eat with your cottage cheese?

Dagny18
04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I bought some cottage cheese since I want other ways to get protein into my diet...I am not sure how to eat it. I want it to be a snack, I think...and I am not great at cooking, so nothing overly difficult.
I'm not on any specific diet though, but I lean towards eating less processed foods.
I have some fresh pineapple...would that go well with it? :?:
Thanks for any ideas!

christinesefton
04-21-2010, 09:19 PM
I've seen individual servings of cottage cheese packaged with bits of pineapple on the side, so it must taste good to some people. I haven't tried it. I prefer strawberries or peaches. You've got nothing to lose by trying it though, so go for it!

katkitten
04-21-2010, 09:31 PM
mmmmmmm ANY type of fruit goes well with it....one of my FAVORITE treats is mixed berries and lowfat cottage cheese with splenda. it's like a healthy dessert!

lizzybeth81
04-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Yes, pineapple or peaches are delicious with cottage cheese. It's like eating ice cream (this is what my mom always told me when I was little, and I still agree)

If I don't want something sweet, I chop up a tomato, add some basil, and a little bit of salt/pepper. This feels like more of a "meal" than it does with the sweet fruit for some reason.

I love cottage cheese. Enjoy!

losermom
04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I like my cottage cheese straight up baby!

Mollewogg
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Agree with everyone else on the pineapple! I never liked cottage cheese until I had it with pineapple :)

choirgirlhotel
04-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I put it on a Wasa or Ryvita cracker.

~CGH~

angelskeep
04-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Salsa will really give it some flavor if you're looking for savory. I used to eat it that way with chips. Now I would have celery, cucumber slices, or maybe raw zucchini and carrot ribbons...shave the veg with a peeler. I bet you could even roast the ribbons in the oven to make them crispy. Now I'll have to get some cottage cheese and give it a try that way.

Barb

srmb60
04-22-2010, 12:13 AM
I've used mine instead of salad dressing.

AR4life
04-22-2010, 12:56 AM
I love my cottage cheese with flavoured yogurt, very filling.

clickit
04-22-2010, 01:15 AM
I like it on its own. Especially with black pepper mixed in... mmm!

astrophe
04-22-2010, 02:00 AM
I've thrown it into eggs and veggies for making quiche.

I've also blendered it so it is smoother and treated it like cream cheese.

A.

Primm
04-22-2010, 05:09 AM
Sweet or savoury both work.

I like crushed pineapple for a sweet treat. If I want savoury it's either a tin of flavoured tuna (tomato and basil or something like that) or chopped up grape tomatoes, olives, cucumber and some salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.

lora m
04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Yesterday I had some with one grated apple mixed in and a few hazelnuts chopped up. It worked well - the hazelnuts could also be toasted for extra flavour.

RunnerChemist
04-22-2010, 09:12 AM
I LOVE cottage cheese, so I put it on more stuff than the average person. I like it on crackers or toast, with salsa as a dip for veggies, instead of salad dressing, plain, with pepper, with tomato and basil, with pineapple and just about any other fruit, with applesauce (I have no problems with funny textures in my food.) I use it in lasagna, I use it on pancakes. I just ate some with my oatmeal.

The easiest way to get into it is to have it with fruit. Enjoy!

srmb60
04-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Here's a link for you.

http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page

Skinnybride
04-22-2010, 09:17 AM
i like pineapple or peaches with mine or fruit cocktail i get lite syrup and rinse it first

MindiV
04-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I can't STAND the texture of cottage cheese, but like the idea of eating it because it's so filling.

Actually got this from Paula Dean.
1-Take two small packets of sugar free jello mix (whatever flavor you like). Put them into a bowl.
2-Put cottage cheese in the blender. (1 15-oz container is what I use)
2-Boil 1 cup of water and pour it into the mix, stirring until dissolved.
3-Add 1 cup cold water and stir together.
4 -Before it starts to set, pour liquid into blender - blend together.

I pour the stuff into five separate, small containers, seal them up and put them in the fridge to set. With 2% cottage cheese I can get here, it comes out to about 88 calories per serving, tops. I eat one each day with lunch.

dumplingtype
04-22-2010, 10:01 AM
I tend to eat it for breakfast. I take sourdough bread and top it with cottage cheese and salsa.

CJZee
04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
I often use cottage cheese as a "side dish". It sort of serves the function of potatoes or rice for me since I don't eat those anymore.

I actually like cottage cheese all the normal ways -- with fruit, on crackers, etc. I also use it as a vegetable dip.

But for those who DON'T like cottage cheese, I would urge you to try different brands or a variety with a different percentage of milkfat in it. I find the taste and texture of different brands is highly variable and you might well find one you like.

AnnieDrews
04-22-2010, 02:10 PM
My fav way to eat cottage cheese is with a medium sized banana chopped up into it. My favorite treat lately.

We've had this brought into work in the past with a catered meal: Cottage cheese w/ chopped cucumber, green olives, chopped fresh dill, black pepper. SO good!

Renwomin
04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
For a long time in my life I thought I absolutely hated cottage cheese because people kept serving it to me with fruit. But what I discovered that for me personally I hate "sweet" cottage cheese. But I love it "savory". I'll toss whatever veggies I have - tomatoes, celery, carrots, zuchinni, etc and put some salt and pepper on it. I love it this way. With the salt it becomes a regular cheese substitute for me.

calluna
04-22-2010, 05:20 PM
This morning I had some with my b'fast. Put a little splenda and cinnamon in it. :) Tastes good to me!

ars
04-22-2010, 08:05 PM
My favorite way to eat cottage cheese is on top of nearly burnt toast with lots of hot sauce. I like it by itself also.

ANOther
04-22-2010, 08:11 PM
1. straight up (sometimes with Mrs. Dash)
2. peanut butter & cc sandwich for breakfast
3. when out of sour cream, use it as a substitute for potato topper

MamaP
04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
I agree with a lot of combinations already listed but didn't see anyone mention green bell pepper. I cut my bell pepper in "slices" and use them to scoop the cottage cheese.

My favorite is probably with peaches - and I add black pepper to it no matter what I'm eating it with.

Avezy44
04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I love it plain but I also like it with sunflower seeds or peaches. :)

Avezy44
04-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Ohh and scooping it with wheat crackers is good also.

Dagny18
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas!
I ate it with fresh pineapple. It really has no taste...its bland. I feared it would be sour or salty, but not really.
I might try peaches tomorrow! It tastes better than plain yogurt...

ledom
04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
1/2 cup steel cut oats, 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup blueberries, splenda - every morning for years now

aliquot
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I love it with mandarin oranges! I buy the del monte mandarin oranges in water with no sugar added :)

stillwagontsl
04-23-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Apple Butter. Am I the only one? Cottage cheese with apple butter on toast. Sooo yummy!

Shrinking Mama
04-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I add a teaspoon of strawberry or apricot jam. Yum!

I love all of the ideas. I'm going to mix up a few and put them out with dinner tonight and see what the kids think.

BrokenAnkle
04-23-2010, 11:41 PM
I like some of these ideas too. I like pineapple best for a sweet craving and with green onions for a savory craving.

Terre
04-25-2010, 08:44 PM
with pepper
with any fruit
in lasgna or in spaghetti
also in a fruit sald.

1 pk of sugar free jello
1 container sugar free cool whip
1 container of fat free cottage cheese
5 cans of fruit, sugar free...just what ever kinds you like.
mix all together

awesome

ennay
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
My current favorite is quartered cherry tomatoes, green onion, salt and pepper.

grinva8812
04-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Hade a cup of cottage cheese for lunch with string beans actual quite tastey

highflyer
05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
I like mine alone or with fruit so far. I have yet to try it with veggies. Never really thought about eating it that way before.

ledom
05-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Another favorite is mixed in w/ a baked sweet potato, cinnamon, and splenda, maybe a few walnut pieces. Cottage cheese is my staple. I also eat it mixed into protein pancakes.

Natalia
05-29-2010, 05:19 PM
I LOVE cottage cheese and eat it every day. Used to hate the texture, I guess its an acquired taste :) However I hate it savory, has to be sweet.

The absolute best way, as mentioned, is with mandarin oranges. it makes a killer sauce that is sooooo good.

Another way, that I eat for breakfast every day is cottage cheese with equal amount of fat free sugar free fruit yogurt and either a few slivered almonds or a sprinkle of high fiber cereal. Its nice with the textural diference of the crunch

Good with almost all fruit, except raspberries- they make it almost seperate. Its really unappetizing :(

Also like it straight up but not as well as with the yogurt :)

I agree with the pp about that each brand has a different texture and feel. Some have very small curds, others, larger. Some has lots of "sauce" others are far more dry.

BassAckwards
05-31-2010, 10:53 AM
What kind of cottage cheese does everyone buy? I tried it once a long time ago. I don't remember the brand but I remember it was small curd. I didn't like it but I would like to try it again.