Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Option 1 or Option 2

I just changed my workout schedule to mornings (and I mean early, I aim to be out the door between 4:20-4:30). Yesterday I did 4.8 mile walk/run and today I did a 3.8 mile walk/run w/ some arm exercises with 5 lbs free weights. Yesterday was a bit rough that extra mile seemed like a little much even though when I was working out afternoons I was doing more like 5-6 miles a day. Anyway I don't want to burn out but at the same time I want to make the most of my work outs. Which schedule do you think is better.

Option 1
M 4.8 mile walk/run
T 3.8 mile walk/run and 15-30 mins arms
W 4.8 mile walk/run
Th Hike 3-5 miles and 30+ mins of arms and abs
F 3.8 mile walk run and 15-30 mins of abs or arm or maybe legs

Option 2
M 3.8 mile walk/run and 15-30 mins arms
T 3.8 mile walk/run and 15-30 mins abs
W 3.8 mile walk/run and 15-30 arms or maybe legs
Th Hike 3-5 miles and 30+ mins of abs
F 3.8 mile walk run and 15-30 mins arm or maybe legs
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Ah, well, personally, I can't do either! Props to you! That said, I would personally pick one, as I happen to love walking, with some jogging intermixed (more in option 1), but HATE muscle work (more in option 2). I would personally think that option 2 is a bit too heavy on the muscle toning, I'm not sure it's enough time for your muscles to rest. That said, only you know your body! Obviously, you can handle more than me. If more is what you want to do, but are afraid it will be too much, the only way to know is to try it and see. You can always downgrade. (Or upgrade, for that matter.)
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #3  
Closet health nut!

I should clarify the muscle work is only 5lbs free weights and balance ball work (push ups and such) it's not too strenuous. Oh and to this point I've pretty much been doing only cardio so my muscle could probably use some work...my saggy skin is getting pretty gross and I probably need to tone up a bit to maybe make the saggy skin a little better.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I should clarify the muscle work is only 5lbs free weights and balance ball work (push ups and such) it's not too strenuous. Oh and to this point I've pretty much been doing only cardio so my muscle could probably use some work...my saggy skin is getting pretty gross and I probably need to tone up a bit to maybe make the saggy skin a little better.
Lol, I'm sure it's worse in your head than it is in reality! But, yeah, if that's all you're doing (I think you indicated that and I missed it, sorry) you should be fine doing option 2. And it sounds like you'd prefer that one, for various reasons. As long as you enjoy it!
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #5  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

ncuneo, I think you answered your own question. You know you are doing fine with cardio and that you need some strength work - option 2.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Ncuneo-- option 2 at least has "Arms" spread out every other day. Dont train the same muscle group two days in a row!
If you want to really loose fat and tighten up, you are much better off liftin way more than 5 pound weights over and over again! Thats not really going to accomplish anything. Are you willing to workout one day on the weekend? Take a day of during the week? Your schedule looks like you are setting yourself up for over training. I know people dont get that,. and whats the big deal really? More exercising= more calories burned= more weight loss. Unfortunately thats not the case, and your body MAY just stop giving up fat. I think you should lose one of those running days entirely and JUST do strength (REAL STRENGTH)....look around and find like a 3 X a week strength program....... You wont be dissapointed by the results..
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #7  
Closet health nut!

My problem is that I have to workout at 4:30 am and I don't have access to a gym at that hour so my 5lb hand weights and balance ball are as good as it's going to get. I think I'll modify the schedule a little to look like this to make sure I'm not doing any muscle groups back to back. I'll also do my best to vary my runs in milage/duration and try to incorporate some interval running and what not.

M 3-5 mile walk/run and 15-20 mins of abs maybe upper legs
T 3-5 mile walk/run and 15-20 mins of arms
W 3-5 mile walk/run and 15-20 mins of abs maybe no muscles
Th 3-5 mile hike and 15-20 mins of arms
F 3-5 mile hike and 15-20 mins of abs maybe upper legs

My arms actually look pretty good, I have a 20 month old and was pushing a stoller on my jogs 4-5xs a week. I have a little bat wing that I'd like to tone up a little bit.

My stomach is a big problem area (belly button and lower mostly) as well as my upper thighs, very saggy. I can't really work out much on the weekends there just isn't enough time. I'd rather split my rest days, but it doesn't really work out with my schedule. Any other suggestions?