Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #1  
Transforming through God

Default I eat like an obese person...

Well, obviously, because I am obese. But, I was in denial for a long time -- convincing myself that I ate "just like everyone else" but was "cursed" with being obese. I just did a vlog (video log) about it last night and came to the realization that I always failed because I gave up -- when previously I believed I gave up because I failed. See the difference?

I hope others can relate. This was sort of a biggie for me (although it seems obvious lol) These moments of getting really really real I think are helping me make breakthroughs that I pray will lead to lifelong success with weight loss!
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I had a similar epiphany after doing a project for a nutrition class a few years ago, where we had to keep a food log and analyze it. I had certainly logged food before, even was required at one point by my employer to meet with a nutritionist who couldn't pinpoint any reason that I was able to maintain a weight of 265 on @1800-2000 calories a day, which it appears I ate on normal days.

Well once I did this project, I discovered the why. While that should have been a pretty decent deficit for a woman of that weight, I discovered in tracking for the long term that every 10-14 days, I was "rewarding" myself with free days or even weekends that I ate back the deficit I had going.

So when I decided to tackle this 100 lbs for real, I made the rule that I had to track every day, even the overboard days. Soon got those overboard days in line when I'd see in black and white them killing off the hard work I'd done in the previous 2 weeks.

It really has turned out for me to be completely about the math of weight loss.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #3  

This is helpful to read - thanks for the reminder!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 308/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Great video! I totally had that same denial for so long LOL ("I am not eating THAT much"/"Women who are thin are obviously anorexic/bulimic"). It was so freeing, though, to pinpoint exactly how I was deceiving myself, so that I could finally take effective action. Congratulations on your breakthrough!
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #5  

Thank you for sharing! I realized today, and told my hubby, that it is "different" this time. Something is different, this time it will work. I think it is exactly what you are talking about. Thank you, and congratulations on your break through!
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #6  
Transforming through God

Thanks for the support everyone, this is such a great site! I was scared people may come on and be like um duh... LOL cuz it does seem so obvious (and I am sure something I knew subconsciously, but denial is a powerful thing!).
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

I was in denial too and living in ignorance. I would buy really healthy, nutritious things at home, but my portion sizes were way too big. I also ate out far too frequently. Looking at the caloric content of even "healthy" dishes at restaurants I am now not surprised I packed on the pounds. When we aren't willing to admit the real problem is how we eat we are just setting ourselves up for a lifetime of problems and excuses.

"I'm just cursed with a slow metabolism and bad genetics. I'll always be fat."

"What is the use of trying I have all this stacked up against me anyway?"

"It isn't fair! I eat like everyone else and I'm fat."

Our unhealthy and inaccurate thinking can make us bitter and keep us from succeeding.

Congratulations on your breakthrough!

Last edited by Renwomin; 04-20-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwomin View Post
I was in denial too and living in ignorance. I would buy really healthy, nutritious things at home, but my portion sizes were way too big. I also ate out far too frequently. Looking at the caloric content of even "healthy" dishes at restaurants I am now not surprised I packed on the pounds. When we aren't willing to admit the real problem is how we eat we are just setting ourselves up for a lifetime of problems and excuses.

"I'm just cursed with a slow metabolism and bad genetics. I'll always be fat."

"What is the use of trying I have all this stacked up against me anyway?"

"It isn't fair! I eat like everyone else and I'm fat."

Our unhealthy and inaccurate thinking can make us bitter and keep us from succeeding.
Congratulations on your breakthrough!

This sounds just like me! This thread has been very helpful for me and validates my decision just two days ago to keep a food log for several weeks in an effort to identify what could be contributing to my inability to lose even a single pound over the past two months.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Great video! I totally had that same denial for so long LOL ("I am not eating THAT much"/"Women who are thin are obviously anorexic/bulimic"). It was so freeing, though, to pinpoint exactly how I was deceiving myself, so that I could finally take effective action. Congratulations on your breakthrough!
this sounds like me too. when I see thin women eat, I sometimes think to myself: how can "I" live on that little food??? it must go to show that a certain portion of what I eat is due to my mind and emotions and not my hunger or caloric need levels(!!)

I feel like I waffle from thinking my size/weight now is ok (not that urgent for me to lose weight), to I'm the biggest woman on the planet. it's hard for me to picture myself at/achieving a "normal" weight.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Excellent vlog.

Being in denial about how much I eat is part of my compulsive over eating. I eat just as much as anyone else.... when people are around. When I'm alone though I'm always scheming and plotting to eat.

I wish I were a normal person. If I said to my husband, who is a healthy normal weight with no food issues, that we won't be eating any dinner tonight he'll say "Oh ok" and not think about it again. He may even scrounge in the kitchen for a piece of fruit or some peanuts but otherwise the declaration of NO DINNER doesn't phase him.

If you were to tell me that we weren't having any dinner I would cry, yell, sulk, get angry, lie about picking something up at the post office and go out somewhere to binge by myself.

So for me, THAT'S the difference between normal healthy people and people like me. Of course I'm physically capable of skipping a meal, but I'm not emotionally or psychologically able to cope with it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #11  
one single step at a time

S/C/G: 305/197/150

Height: 5'5

yeah i can def relate i had a given up attitude but once i started calorie counting and writing everything i ate down i came to the realization that i was eating very unhealthy thats why i kept adding weight but i am so over being the chunky girl i just want to be healthy
danitzastars is offline   Reply With Quote