Mini-Goals - Wow!!! 14 Pounds Gone In A Week And A Half!!!

fatklr
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I figured I'd share my story, it's just the beginning....but I'm going ALL THE WAY!!!!

Ive always loved food. I came up in one of those households where you were told to finish your plate, even if you were full. The first time I remember being overweight was when I was just starting elementary school. My mom would take me to go school shopping after summer breaks, and I remember my clothing sizes going up each year not as they should with a normal kid growing up, but REALLY going up. As a teenager, my average trip to McDonalds consisted of two Big Macs, 2 large fries, a large soda AND a caramel sundae!

Fast forward some years: During my adulthood, Ive always wanted to lose weight. Ive tried diet pills and numerous diets including fat and carb counting. When I got on Atkins years ago, I did lose a significant amount of weight. Since I saw Atkins as a diet rather than a LIFESTYLE change, as soon as I stopped counting my carbs (which I did not exceed 20 grams of carbs a day), I gained my weight back AND SOME! Of course I have tried to get back on the Atkins diet, but I believe that since I lost the encouragement when I gained all of my weight back I could never again fully dedicate myself to the idea of low carb counting.

Two weeks ago, a close friend of mine let me read her copy of an informative book about making wiser eating choices. The author said that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. He also made it clear that if you eat 500 to 750 calories under what your specific daily caloric intake should be, you will lose 1-2 lbs per week. That really caught my attention! I wanted to research this, so I went on a lot of different websites for confirmation of this statement. Sure enough, I kept reading it over and over through nutritional websites, blogs and weight loss success stories. I was determined to find out for myself if all of this was in fact true, so I found out what my daily caloric intake should be based on my age, height, current weight and exercise level. I immediately purchased a scale so that I could track my progress. I started my new eating habits on April 8th and exactly one week afterwards, I had already dropped 8 pounds! Four days later I weighed myself again another 6 pounds gone, just like that! Just the 14 pound drop within a week and a half gives me enough motivation to stick to what Im doing! Although I dropped my 14 pounds without any form of exercise, I have started walking for 30 to 45 minutes AT LEAST 3 times a week, for now. I am eating 1,800 calories a day, I track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth on livestrong.com and I spread my calories evenly through 5 meals around 300 calories each. I have a long way to go, but by taking it one day at a time and knowing that Im the only one that can get my body to where I want it to beI AM DETERMINED!!! :carrot:

onlygettingbetter
04-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Great job! If it isn't too nosy what was that informative book? Just curious because I just read that also!

Liliann
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Wow! You are doing awesome! Keep it going!

MablesGirl
04-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Congratulations on your success! That is wonderful.

fatklr
04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks!!!! The book that I read was The Truth About Six Pack Abs.

onlygettingbetter
04-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks!!!! The book that I read was The Truth About Six Pack Abs. The one I red it in was Primal Blueprint. Must be great advise!

Satine
04-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Congrats on your success...it really is about calories in and calories out...keep it up and you will be so happy

Also I love the westie in your pic ...I have an 8 year old westie named Les...they are great dogs :)

Carri

fatklr
04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Hey all,

I'm still eating right, but I still haven't really incorporated exercise into my daily activity yet. I walked for 30 minutes last Monday, and washed two cars Sunday...but I just can't seem to get motivated to exercise!!! I wonder if the bad weather has anything to do with it (yeah, that's my excuse...and I'm sticking to it! LOL)

luciddepths
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
CONGRATS!!!

So how does a person know/find out the exact amount they need to maintain a weight? then to remove those 500 cals from that.

fatklr
04-26-2010, 10:37 AM
That's a very good question, luciddepths. There are many metabolic rate calculators available on line, I just did a google search and found one. The chart actually advises for a person with my current height, weight, age and activity level to eat between 2100 and 2500 calories a day, but I choose to eat 1800 to "speed it up a bit".

Here's a link for a free calorie calculator:

http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

luciddepths
04-26-2010, 02:13 PM
ok very cool :) i have to up my stuff just alittle bit.. i'm a bit too low!
Thanks for the calculator :D

ruthi3ann
04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
i like this! i'm new to the site.

KylieH
04-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Way to go! I'm so happy that you found the thing that really clicked for you. You'll work out the exercise thing in time.

fatklr
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
I walked into my office today and before I could get to my desk, my manager called me into her office. I asked her "uh oh, what's wrong?" She said, "Wow, you are really shrinking! How much have you lost?" Yayyyyyy!!!!

PinkHoodie
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the link to that Calculator. My weight loss has stalled, so I am going to try to use your advice. :)

akelly728
04-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Awesome job fatklr! As for the exercise, it will happen. Once you start seeing more and more weight fall off from your dieting, you'll crave more :) I started running at 220lbs, almost 50 pounds lighter than my highest weight. I'm not addicted, and my dieting choices + the running is literally melting the fat off quicker. It feels great!

wilma729
04-27-2010, 03:46 PM
This is fun to hear! I have wondered about the calorie calculator, and turns out I was eating the right amount with finding the confirmation! That makes me feel smart!
Congrats on your quick start!

fatklr
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Okay, so I think I need to rethink my daily menu...or throw my scale out the window!!! I am still eating 1800 calories a day, but I've gained 5 pounds back!!! I'm upset about that, but I'm not going to let that deter me from reaching my goal. I'm going to go and revisit what I ate 3 weeks ago to make me lose 14 lbs in 10 days. I may either decrease my caloric intake to 1500 calories a day, or start eating more vegetables and fruits and less wheat bread and brown rice. I'm going to start walking every morning before I go to work on Monday, so I know that will help too. Any suggestions??? How much brown rice and wheat bread should I be eating a day? (I eat brown rice every 2-3 days.)

bex
05-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Thats amazing. Keep up the great work!

Onederchic
05-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Congrats on the start to a new, healthy you :hug:

Natasha629
05-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Okay, so I think I need to rethink my daily menu...or throw my scale out the window!!! I am still eating 1800 calories a day, but I've gained 5 pounds back!!! I'm upset about that, but I'm not going to let that deter me from reaching my goal. I'm going to go and revisit what I ate 3 weeks ago to make me lose 14 lbs in 10 days. I may either decrease my caloric intake to 1500 calories a day, or start eating more vegetables and fruits and less wheat bread and brown rice. I'm going to start walking every morning before I go to work on Monday, so I know that will help too. Any suggestions??? How much brown rice and wheat bread should I be eating a day? (I eat brown rice every 2-3 days.)

I wouldn't limit your intake of wheat and brown rice that much. Oh and there are tons of other great complex carbs that can jumpstart weight loss. (i.e. Barley, millet, whole oats, steel cut oats, quinoa** etc.) I love quinoa and it is a complete protein! That is the fuel that your body needs in order to lose the weight. It sounds like you have hit a small obstacle where your body has gotten used to what you are eating and is holding on to each and every bit of it. I am also trying to figure out how many servings to eat of grains, fruits/veggies, fats, etc. It isn't easy and the days that I manage to get all my servings in, I really do eat a lot. . .but still lose the weight!

Just in case you are interested in some of the resources I've been using:

Processedfreeliving.org
The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged! by Tosca Reno (just bought it and it's great)

These are for whole food diets which whether or not you end up trying or sticking with, they offer a lot of Great information that you could incorporate into your lifestyle! It is working wonders for me and I think it is because these are the foods that our body is naturally designed to eat! Our bodies are craving all of natures goodies :-)

Sorry if I've rambled, I am just really excited about all the new info I am learning about!

Good luck and hope this information was helpful in some way!

ParadiseFalls
05-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Holy crap! You've gone all Biggest Loser on us!!

fatklr
05-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Thank you so much for that info, Natasha629! I will definitely check that website out. By the way, I weighed myself this morning and I'm back down to 324! I'm back on track!!!!

Onederchic
05-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Thank you so much for that info, Natasha629! I will definitely check that website out. By the way, I weighed myself this morning and I'm back down to 324! I'm back on track!!!!
:woohoo:

sarahtmomof3
05-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Thats great and I totally believe that about the diet. What goes in REALLY does matter. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with exercise (just kidding. I want to be heart healthy not just smaller!)

You are on the right track girl! Keep up the good work!!!

Randy
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
great success! very inspiring story. :carrot:

fatklr
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Okay, to switch it up...I think i'm going to start eating oatmeal. Does anyone have any ideas of what i should eat in my oatmeal? I don't see myself eating plain oatmeal for breakfast.

Gamerlady
05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Congrats on your weightloss! Those are impressive numbers :D

Don't let the weight gain discourage you. It happened to me as well. I think it is just your body getting used to things is all.

I usually put a little honey (Tablespoon) and sliced almonds and crumbled walnuts in my oatmeal. It is so yummy!

Keep up the good work!

fatklr
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Thank you gamerlady, I'll try that oatmeal tip!

ParadiseFalls
05-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Okay, to switch it up...I think i'm going to start eating oatmeal. Does anyone have any ideas of what i should eat in my oatmeal? I don't see myself eating plain oatmeal for breakfast.

Classic maple and brown sugar is my favorite. Quaker makes a weight-control version that is SOOO good. I make it with 2% milk instead of water and eat it for dessert :D

fatklr
05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Classic maple and brown sugar is my favorite. Quaker makes a weight-control version that is SOOO good. I make it with 2% milk instead of water and eat it for dessert :D

mmmm...that sounds good! I'll have to keep my eye open for that one in the store! Thanks!!!

fatklr
05-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Okay so last Monday I decided to decrease my caloric intake to 1600 calories a day and I hopped on my scale yesterday....10 more pounds dropped within a week, with hardly any exercise! YAYYYY!!!!

Gamerlady
05-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Wow thats amazing! Congrats :D.

be sure to take measurements as well so you can celebrate twice! Your doing awesome!

fatklr
05-10-2010, 10:00 AM
That's a very good idea, Gamerlady. I came into work and once again, my boss told me I was REALLY shrinking! I'm loving it...but this is only the beginning! 170....here I come!!! :)

bargoo
05-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Congratulations ! You are doing great !

AriesBarb
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Blueberries are GREAT in Oatmeal....

melissario
05-10-2010, 01:56 PM
WTG! :carrot:

proudmommy09
05-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Awesome Job you are doing!!

Sameen
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
wow!!! Congratulations!!! i have just started a diet myself and have lost 8 pounds in a week!! i hope i also get a good surprise after 4 days! i am also following a balanced diet with calorie control. Exercising is difficult for me to fit in my schedule aswell, therefore i decided to invest in an eliptical for my room. this way even if i miss the gym or swimming i can get exercise on the machine any time of the day!

fatklr
05-12-2010, 08:32 AM
I hopped my behind on the elliptical trainer yesterday after work...and 15 minutes into the work out when my legs began to feel like silly puddy, I had to start thinking of reasons to stay on! I thought of the contestants on The Biggest Loser and imagined Jillian Michaels behind me screaming "LAST CHANCE WORKOUT!!!!" It worked! I burned 310 calories and stayed on for 30 minutes! I'm so proud of that!!! :)

Natoshial
05-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for sharing your story!!! Glad you are doing so great at this.

Gamerlady
05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
That is cool motivation fatklr. I usually picture zombies chasing me lol. Is it me or does anyone else want Jillian to stand on their legs while they are leaning against a wall squating? I just really want to know if I would be able to do it lol. I told my little cousin to do it and she just gave me a O_o look lol. I thought she would jump at the opportunity! :)

madrm20
05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Great work so far!!

2Bees
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Congrats You have really done a good job.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-steps/cartoonapple01/lb/233/150/224/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

fatklr
05-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Just hopped on the scale....16 pounds lost so far!!! I can't wait until i'm under 300!!!

Becca812
05-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I also grew up in house where I had to finish everything on my plate. Thanks for the inspiration. Keep up the work, you can do it!

beth4365
05-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks very much for sharing and CONGRATULATIONS!

Keep it up and see you next goal!

Fab130
05-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Wow, That is great! I am new to this and am glad that this was the first post I read. Very motivating.

Thanks

bonbonj24
05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Congratulations!! Please keep us updated on your weight loss! :)

love2b150
05-28-2010, 03:16 PM
You are motivation/inspiration to me. I start and stop diets/work outs. I typically lose about 11 pounds which I have been told is only water but pounds are pounds any lower number on that scale makes me happy. :) But then I'd fall off the wagon and gain it back. It has taken me 2 years plus to go from 210 to 194 and I honestly don't know how I did it. (just life I guess) But you lost 14 pounds in a week and a half ... great job, pat yourself on the back.

saycindy
06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Might I suggest weight training. I am sooooo not into cardio machines. I get my cardio in by doing things I enjoy ie. tennis or bike riding. I love weights, I seen a bit of a jump in the scale at first but amazing results after a few weeks in the inches department. Just to caution, start out slowly at first. You don't get so sore you hurt for 3 days!

CarbsAreEvil
06-01-2010, 08:47 PM
That is AMAZING! Congratulations.

doc2b
06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Keep it up! I am currently struggling getting to the gym also. I either have to go early in the morning (too tired), mid day (too hot out), or evening (can usually find something better? to do?) I KNOW my excuses stink.

But CONGRATS on your HUGE loss!

fatklr
06-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I have been walking for 30 minutes every morning before work...and my legs and behind are KILLING ME!!! I have yet to jump on the scale, but I will this weekend. I used to eat breakfast as soon as I got to work, but now as soon as I get in from my morning speed-walk, I shower then eat a breakfast high in protein. I think I like it better that way, but I've noticed that I'm hungry even more throughout the day...I guess because I'm exercising faithfully each and every morning.

fatklr
06-09-2010, 09:12 AM
doc2b, I'm one of those people who DO NOT like to exercise. It takes everything in me to get out and get active, but I have found that setting my alarm clock for 5:50am, throwing my clothes and iPod on and getting out to walk around the neighborhood for half an hour is a heck of a lot better than planning on exercising out after work when I'm tired as heck and end up thinking of 1001 excuses NOT TO exercise! Morning exercising lets me get it out of the way and gives me energy to last through the day. I really hope that I get to the point where I can jump out of bed fully of energy ready to go out and jog (if that's even possible with me) but as for now I have to roll out of the bed angry at my alarm clock for going off and GET TO STEPPIN'! :)

mojojojo
06-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks! Great info... but most importantly Congratulations! Keep going strong!

fatklr
06-10-2010, 08:25 AM
This morning when I walked I wanted to see exactly how many calories I was burning, so I put my calorie counting watch that I bought recently on....I was sooooo surprised at the end of the walk that I burned 400 calories! That's 2000 calories burned in a week! Wow, at that rate I should see some serious pound-shedding very soon!!!

llmw1951
06-10-2010, 08:46 AM
You're doing Great! Congratulations! You have to be Pumped Up with such a Great Start! Good Luck!

fatklr
06-22-2010, 08:18 AM
This is my 3rd week of consistently walking every morning....and I have finally broken my plateau!!! I weighed in at 323 last week, and I'm SOOOO HAPPY!!!! I thought I would be able to lose an excess amount of weight before starting exercising, but now I realize I need to do both - exercise consistantly and eat right. I have noticed a few changes...my legs no longer ache when I get out of my car. I am less winded while walking to and from my job to my car. I am less winded when I walk up 3 flights of stairs. There is more "pep in my step" now. I can't wait to get to the point when I can start jogging/running!!! YAYYYYY!!!!

Linnerz
06-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Congrats on what you've done so far, sometimes the little things like being able to walk up a few flights of stairs without being winded are the most encouraging!! Keep up the good work!