Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/220/150

Height: 5'5

Default Embarrassed to Work Out

I don't know what to do, in my neighborhood it's a lot of fit and cute teens my age that are always out side having a grand ol' time but all I want to do is power walk (maybe even jog) around my neighborhood for exercise. I'm TIRED of work out videos just being in the house and I don't have my license yet to go back and forth to the gym.

I just don't think I have the courage to go outside in front of all those kids and exercise.
MelloFatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/250/112

Height: 5'4.5

I have the same problem you could try listening to music and wearing sunglases so you can't look at them or hear them?
candy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/240/220

Height: 5'4

I started working out at home simply because I am embarrased to be out and about. However, I think once you start working out at home, it gets a lot easier to get out in public and do it. Right now I'm fine working out at home. However I know at some point I may feel more comfortable getting out there. It may just take some time.
highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #4  
I need to loose 28 pounds

S/C/G: 185/173/146.5

Height: 5.8´

remember you are young, and beautyful, any girl your age is cute just because of the glow you have at that age.

also take your mp3 and watch tv forget about them, I dont wear makeup and i dont dress for the gym, just leggins and a tshirt. It doesnt matter how you look there but how you look outside. When I see overweight people, I like it because I think they are taking a step to change that, I feel embarrased to wal and jog too but I wear sunglasses, it may sounds silly but it feels like they are not looking. My advice the gym, go early morning is what i do nobody is there, all place for me, and i can watch silly reality shows

hahahah Bless
mmccurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #5  

Thanks guys. There's a track at the high school by my home that's not really far that a lot of over weight people work out on. I might see if my mom will allow me to drive there.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I used to really worry what people thought of how I looked. Then, one day, I decided that I"m not going to give them all that power over me. I took the power back and was able to go there and feel GOOD about what I was doing. I also give myself a reward after each workout: my cup of coffee. When I drink it, I know it's "me" time.

Another idea, maybe you can buy an eliptical machine or a treadmill or stationary bike? I know it's still indoors, but at least you're working out. If you put it in front of the t.v. and watch shows you like, it really makes the time go by a lot faster. I suggest trying to find a used one on craigslist or something. That's good for your wallet, your body and the environment.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #7  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Height: 5'8"

One of the reasons I don't like working out in public and such is because I feel like I might be doing something wrong:S And all the fit people will snicker and make fun of the fat girl who doesn't know how to exercise :P

I'm just starting out at home first, but the weather's getting beautiful over here so I hope to do morning walks and eventually be running. I LOVE summer mornings!!
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:46 AM   #8  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I totally relate I don't have any advice, though, unfortunately.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love114 View Post
One of the reasons I don't like working out in public and such is because I feel like I might be doing something wrong:S And all the fit people will snicker and make fun of the fat girl who doesn't know how to exercise :P

I'm just starting out at home first, but the weather's getting beautiful over here so I hope to do morning walks and eventually be running. I LOVE summer mornings!!
MORNINGS! Why didn't I think of that? Sunday mornings... teens are sleep, and since they're still in school I can get up around the time school starts.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

KIDDO it is always hard for us to put ourselves in situations we feel uncomfortable...

it has happened to me in the past, but not for weight issues.

All I can say is if getting out there is what you want to do (and I suggest it...wink) then get out there and I will continue to send prayers up for you...

You can do this...

Focus on how comfortable it will be for you next year at this time!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I work mostly in the evenings so I work out in the mornings. I used to be embarassed too but do you know what I think about while I'm exercising in the morning? "Look at all these people who are on their way to work! They are soooo jealous of me because I'm out enjoying the morning and working on my exercise" and then I feel pretty lucky.

Soon enough no matter what time you go out to walk you will start to realize that there are other people out there that are exercising at the same time. You will only begin to see those people for some reason. I love it because it makes me feel like I'm part of a special club of people who are taking the time to better themselves. You won't worry about those other kids out there anymore - believe me, teenagers don't care about you, they only care about themselves, they're out having fun and doing what they like, they're not paying attention to your thoughts. So let them be and go out and have fun! If anything you're setting a good example and hopefully motivating others to do the same.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #12  

Can you start by looking at walking as a way of transportation? If you just wear comfy shoes and jeans (rather than workout clothes), and walk to the library or to the store, it will be less obvious that you are exercising. Once you do this for a while, you will see who is out at what time, you will find times and routes that are comfortable for you. Eventually, walking in your neighborhood will become very comfortable for you. Is there somebody who can be a walking buddy? That might help.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I had the same kind of inhibitions when I wanted to start running, so I realise it can be very daunting. I finally just decided to bite the bullet and go, but I was going very early for a while at about 6am, before anyone was really up and out You could try to go earlier or later in the day when it is quiet?

After a while you will find your concern for what other people may be thinking or saying will go out the window. Mostly I think it is in our heads, the fear that people are thinking something bad about us, and if they really do say anything it says everything about them, not you.

Enjoy yourself, you don't need to justify your actions to anyone ;-)
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #14  

Hyacinth (love it!) sort of gave my answer - and I can so relate!

I'm a new home owner so I've decided to use my new yard (which needs a ton of work) a way for me to get out and work up a sweat now that it's Spring. I'll be out there doing something, some of it pretty strenuous, and also doing housework/DIY Projects to work up a sweat.

But exercising in my neighborhood? Yeah - I'm not ready for that...

***I like the practicality of making "work-outs" part of life. I suspect it's something slim people do all the time... I once did slimmy years ago.
ElizRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

Look at that face, you're beautiful! Turn on your iPod and just tune them all out. I joined the Y, people there of all shapes and sizes, old and young. I really think people are concentrating on themselves and not even noticing other people, I know I don't.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote