Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-17-2010, 03:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

Default I am Changing My Goal!!! (I think?)

AAAAGH, so, I have been bouncing around 160 to 164 for a couple of months, and my main goal has always been 154.

I have read through all the maintainers threads about picking a goal, and when you get there a goal picking you... and then a lot of the ladies who surpassed their goals significantly. It is obviously a very individual choice, and everyone is different, but I read very few where people settled at higher than their original goals - have any of you done this??

As with most people, my goal was set arbitrarily, and at 286 I don't think I truly believed I would get near here anyway ( but picked as mid range BMI, and a number that sounded just about ok to say out loud - maybe with a bit of editing down to 150 if talking to a boy!!!)

But here I am, and I am mentally exhausted with 'trying to lose weight'.
I recognise that maintaining is going to be probably even harder - at least at first - but it is a new challenge, and I feel ready to start a new phase.

The problem is that I am so stubborn, and that I had that goal of 11 stone (154) the whole way, and it feels like I have failed if I don't reach it...

I suppose I picked 154 also to give myself that wiggle room of the 4 or 5 lbs, up to 158 - 159, but never back in the 160's.
Here I am at 159, and I suppose in reality my max weight preference now is 158, so should I just allow myself to breathe and chenge my goal to 158, given that this is my max weight allowance in my head?
Any advice is most welcome on this ladies...

It is such a head-melt...those 4 or 5lbs really aren't going to make a huge diference in my appearance, and certainly not in my health, but there it is that goal weight flashing in my head all the time....

Anyway, this was a bit of a stream of consciousness post, so sorry, but I just needed to get it out. Off outside on this sunny day for a run in the park!
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My original goal was 125. I made it down to 129 once and that was with being ravenous (not kidding) all the time and feeling totally depleted after work every day.

I then upped my goal to 130 and have been wavering between 130-135 in the warmer months and 135-138 in the colder ones.

I am going to really push myself this spring and get down to 130 and see how hard it is to maintain that. If it means watching every bite and being really hungry all the time then I'm going to up the calories a bit to stay between 130 -135.

For me going over 135 does make a difference in how my clothes fit so it's important for me to stay under 135 to look my best.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi!

I never reached "goal". My goal was something like 142, but by the time I got to 147, I was pretty worn out and my weight loss had slowed.

You can change your goal or not. You made it up--so you can unmake it. It's arbitrary anyway. If you feel like you'd rather keep it and put in the extra effort to get there, then keep going!

Also, it's OK to stop and maintain for awhile and then give it another go, if you think that would work.

Lots of people on here found they kept losing as they slowly raised their calories to maintenance level. It seems it's better to increase calories gradually when transitioning to maintenance.

Good luck whatever you do! And congratulations on your weight loss!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #4  

Thanks Guys.

i feel like if I put the extra few pounds on the long finger, ie see what happens that it will just continue to gnaw at me...like I need to breathe out and say this is where I want to be, it's just difficcult to know if it's ok to say that right here and now I suppose!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #5  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow! 127 lbs lost! That is amazing--congrats on your big loss. You body has been through so many changes. I would suggest that instead of focusing on the number, try to focus more on how great you now feel. Try to relax and continue those good habits of eating well, exercise and lots of rest that got you to this point. Enjoy this!

I declared myself at goal about 6 months ago, even though I was above my stated goal. I wanted to get out of the race and enjoy life more. Since then, I have lost about 15 more lbs. I think it was the relaxing that did it.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #6  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Jay has a good point. It's certainly ok to maintain for awhile and polish off those last few pounds later if you want. Personally, I think your body is adjusting to your new lower weight. I think the weight will drop slowly over time.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189

Height: 5'5

I agree with many who think it's time for a little maintainance. But maybe change your goal so it does not mess with your head. Remember, your not a failure in doing this. You had to pick a number but when you were heavy you had no idea what that number meant.
getittogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #8  

Thanks Guys!
i changed it earlier, so just a lb to go!!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Ellie - have I done the sums right? You have lost more than 9 stone?? Fantastic work! That is just excellent.

Glad you've decided to change your goal. Relax and see what the future brings.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Ellie - have I done the sums right? You have lost more than 9 stone?? Fantastic work! That is just excellent.

Glad you've decided to change your goal. Relax and see what the future brings.
Yep - 9st! - and thanks!
I have a whole big life story goal post written, have to take some after pics, will post when last lb melts away!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 AM   #11  

As an update on this - though I haven't changed my ticker yet, just want to give it a day or two to make sure its not some weird dehydration loss, this morning I weighed 158.75 (158 being my new goal).
This is a pretty mementous day for me!!!

it's weird, because really just as of 5 days ago I have started re-introducing carbs, and upping my calorie intake - and then whoosh, weight has just come off. i often read posts by people who say when they eat more they lose more weight, and i kind of nod sagely, but think, yeah that wouldn't work for me though - shows what I know eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YIPPEEEE
Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #12  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Definitely! YIPPEEEE!

Well done, Ellie!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #13  

Thank - You!!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #14  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Congrats! You could also try just eating the maintenance calories for your "goal" whichever goal you decide. So let's say I'll use myself as an example. I weight 162 right now, but let's say I'm just done trying lose weight so I start eating maintenance calories as if I weighed 138 (my "goal"). Well in theory I should still lose weight even though it would be probably slower, but because I don't weight 138 I should still lose. This is something I'm considering in maybe another 10-20, basically start maintaining before it's time to maintain, take a little of the stress out of the whole maintance thing.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 AM   #15  

Hi ncuneo,
Yeah, I think this is a good idea when not too far away from goal.

And am interested to see how it works for you if and when you do try it.
I have read of a lot of people setting their calorie intake for entire weightloss process based around the aproximate of what they would use per day at goal weight, and it reportedly works for a lot of people, but as you say just a bit slower...
I have been eating around 1'200 calories a day, which for the moment, I am happy enough to continue, so i'll keep at it for another little while and see where it takes me