Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #1  
155LBS LOST

S/C/G: 300/145/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Spinach

I absolutely LOVE spinach, fresh spinach that is...tonight my dad made a chicken Florentine and it had a pretty darn good amount of spinach cooked in as well as some bell peppers YUM! Anyways, I got to thinking, we have TONS of canned spinach here at the house (my grandpa doesn't like that particular brand so its not being used) but I can't get myself to eat plain old canned spinach. I mean I liked it in the chicken Florentine obviously but there was so much more going on in that meal as far as taste goes.

What do you usually add to your canned spinach for extra taste? I was thinking on maybe a low fat cheese or something. I honestly have no idea what do do with it that would make it a really super easy meal to prepare.
JennieLovesKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

We just heat it up, drain it, and sprinkle rice vinegar all over it. (Eat it in a bowl, or you'll drown everything else on the plate) It's also good if you saute sliced garlic, then add the drained spinach, and cook a while longer, and then add the vinegar.

You can also use it in quiche or a spinach casserole. Look here for some really good recipes - the spinach strata and spinach casserole are tasty!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recip....php?s=spinach
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I like apple cider vinegar and pepper on the canned spinach. You can alsodrain it, then squeeze it in a clean kitchen towel and use it in soup, with casseroles, in rice or other grains. You can mix it with a littlericotta cheese and use it as a filling for ravioli or chicken or even rolled into ham slices. Great in an omelette or on a toasted cheese sammich.

I LOVE spinach, fresh, frozen or canned and use it in almost everything I cook nowadays just so I can bump up my veggies.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #4  
155LBS LOST

Thank you!

I never thought of putting it in my omelette, I need to try that one!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 PM   #5  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

I've never tried it with canned spinach, but my favorite thing lately is stewed tomatoes ( I stew the ones from my families garden so no added salt etc) with spinach that I wilt using the tomato juice, add some hot sauce and if I have the calories to spare i'll add in some cheese for flavoring.

I don't know why, but I love eating this. It's so filling and the 'soup' at the end of it has a nice kick from the hot sauce if you like that sort of thing. Though people at work look at me oddly when i bring it lol.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

I know you were asking about canned spinach, but it made me think of something I like doing with raw spinach. I like to use it sometimes in place of pasta. Throw fresh spinach on a plate and top with a hot pasta sauce. The spinach will start to wilt nicely from the heat from the sauce. Lot's of nutrients, lower calories, and very quick!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I wish you luck, my mom used to love canned spinach, I had a gag reflex to the smell of it. It took me until my early 20s to even try fresh spinach because I thought it was going to taste like I imagined based on the smell of canned spinach.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/205/150

Height: 5'6

I like to cook some shrimp (or fish) in a pan with garlic, add spinach, chop up a tomato, and eat it over brown rice with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Very low calorie and delicious.
lizzybeth81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #9  
155LBS LOST

Okay lol so I opened the canned spinach and its nothing like fresh spinach. O.O I tried putting it into my omlet and I just didn't like it haha. I guess I'll stick to fresh spinach!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

DH loves canned spinach with vinegar and chopped hard boiled eggs.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #11  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm not such a fan of canned spinach, but I do like frozen and fresh spinach. I like to use frozen for lasagna, egg bakes and dips. And I like to add fresh spinach to my cooked cabbage, soups (DH has informed me he hates this), salads and sandwiches. I've learned that I actually prefer spinach to lettuce and use it as such. I always have a bag of fresh spinach in the frig.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote