Weight Loss Support - Your manta when you feel the urge to eat when you shouldn't

ncuneo
04-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I was doing so great for about 4 months, completely satisfied, motivated, on plan 100% and lately I just want to EAT! For all kinds of reason and none of them hunger. I know there are so many great mantras from you all and I need to hear them again. Like go do something else to get your mind off it, or it will be there tomorrow, or chew some gum. So please bring it! I need it, I'm going on about 2 weeks of this, I don't know if it's stress or what...I've been good and haven't give in but maybe a little someting here or there, but it's really distracting and it's making me miserable, not to mention this is one of those weeks with no weight loss and that seems to send me into - well I guess a plateau is just around the corner might as well endulge, even though I know full well that that is my pattern of weight loss, a few weeks of 1-4 lbs, then no lbs for a week or two. My meals are feeling small and unsatifying, I know they're not, but I just want to EAT. Anyway, need those mantras!!!! Ok I'm going for a run now.

alicat17
04-16-2010, 07:59 PM
My mantra is "short term low (not having that beer or cake), long term high (being fit and comfortable in my skin).

Viviane
04-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm new to the mantra thing, but here's what has been working for me:

This WILL NOT add to your life.

It's simple, easy to remember, and reminds me that bingeing doesn't enhance the quality OR length of my life. Good luck finding one that speaks to you!

Apple Cheeks
04-17-2010, 01:47 AM
"I can have it on Saturday."

That's my sort-of mantra, because that's the one day of the week that I allow myself to eat absolutely anything I want, as much as I want, all day long. Without it, I would go nuts obsessing over food.

So, if I'm craving a greasy pizza, I can have it Saturday. If I want McDonald's, Carl's Jr, an ice-blended coffee drink with whipped cream, pie, cake, candy, WHATEVER, I can have it Saturday. As much as I want. :D

This may not work for everyone, but it works great for me. I don't find it difficult to get myself back on track the next day, or to hold off until Saturday to cave in to whatever food desires I have.

ValRock
04-17-2010, 02:29 AM
"Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!!"

It's worth it, it's worth it, it's worth it!!! :D

catherinef
04-17-2010, 04:26 AM
Mine is, "I will feel awful about having eaten this." I can't even really enjoy it while I AM eating it, but once the deed is done, I feel even more wretched.

Veil
04-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I love mantras. I have many.

Growing up, money was tight so mom would always ask, "Is that a WANT or is that a NEED?" That helps me when standing in front of the fridge. Also, I was driving back from work yesterday and this sentence hit me: "Do you want skinnier jeans?" And I answered myself, "YES!". So I didn't stop at Burger King, I went home and exercised & ate healthy!

It sounds so stereotypical... but ORGANIC CELERY really helps me when I want to stress eat. It's crunchy, filled with fiber, low calorie, and if I add a little smear of natural peanut butter, it's even yummier. Oh, or a 1/2c of raspberries...mmmmm!! Gum always helps, I keep it on the fridge, on the kitchen counter and in the car.

Exercise ALWAYS helps fight urges to eat unhealthy. When I run and start getting droopy I tell myself, "I can do this, I felt so great after my run yesterday." or "10 more seconds!!" or "I'm burning calories."

For personal issues I use "I am clean" "I am beautiful" "I am forgivable".

Best of luck to you, NCUNEO!

cestlavie22
04-17-2010, 11:47 AM
i know that often when i am about to have a whoosh of weight loss i feel ravenous, so when i feel like i just want to eat and eat and nothing satisfies me i try to keep that in mind.

Jo Kittibuck
04-18-2010, 02:30 AM
The Finding Nemo "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." bit pops into my head alot, especially when I'm in the supermarket trying to walk down the ice cream aisle without looking.

MelloFatto
04-18-2010, 03:09 AM
"You will not be powerless over something like food."

Hopeful8
04-18-2010, 06:30 AM
"Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!!"

I remember a few months back when Kate Moss was quoted as saying that, and she got absolutely blasted by the media because that statement is very popular amongst girls w/eating disorders.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, that's just a statement that I never thought I'd see on this board.

love114
04-18-2010, 07:00 AM
I think here though, that statement "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" is different than Kate Moss saying it lol. We're all trying to get to a healthy thin :D

ValRock
04-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Oh yikes... I had no idea. I'll take it out of my siggy!

ETA: Yeah... I have no desire whatsoever to be "Kate Moss thin". I don't think my husband would be a fan either!

rockinrobin
04-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I remember a few months back when Kate Moss was quoted as saying that, and she got absolutely blasted by the media because that statement is very popular amongst girls w/eating disorders.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, that's just a statement that I never thought I'd see on this board.

Whoa. I use that statement all the time, as does many others, because it's the truth!

Not every one that uses it has an eating disorder. Well I guess in the past I kinda had an eating disorder. No I DEFINITELY had an eating disorder. I ate disorderly. I ate whatever I wanted when I wanted. I abused food. I was overfeeding myself.

Now I eat healthy, healthy, DELICIOUS, nutritious, satisfying foods. I've been super morbidly obese for a long time and I can honestly say that I don't miss that high calorie/high quantity foods. By giving up that stuff I GAINED so much more - my self respect, my self confidence, my self worth - my life.

I LOVE my life now and without a doubt being thin FEELS waaaaaaaaay better than any of that food ever tasted. By like a million kigillion tines.

So, I'm afraid you ARE going to hear that phrase around here, because it's an oldie and a goodie, even if the media twisted it around.

Oh yikes... I had no idea. I'll take it out of my siggy!
Val, by all means put that back in your siggy. It's worth reading every day as a daily affirmation.

Hopeful8
04-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Duplicate

Hopeful8
04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Whoa. I use that statement all the time, as does many others, because it's the truth!

Not every one that uses it has an eating disorder. Well I guess in the past I kinda had an eating disorder. No I DEFINITELY had an eating disorder. I ate disorderly. I ate whatever I wanted when I wanted. I abused food. I was overfeeding myself.

Now I eat healthy, healthy, DELICIOUS, nutritious, satisfying foods. I've been super morbidly obese for a long time and I can honestly say that I don't miss that high calorie/high quantity foods. By giving up that stuff I GAINED so much more - my self respect, my self confidence, my self worth - my life.

I LOVE my life now and without a doubt being thin FEELS waaaaaaaaay better than any of that food ever tasted. By like a million kigillion tines.

So, I'm afraid you ARE going to hear that phrase around here, because it's an oldie and a goodie, even if the media twisted it around.

Val, by all means put that back in your siggy. It's worth reading every day as a daily affirmation.

You can say absolutely whatever you want, it makes no difference to me one way or the other. Tattoo it on your forehead if that's what helps. I was simply just pointing out what I had heard about that statement. You don't have to put anything in caps to emphasize your point. I was simply stating that this was the 2nd time in my life that I've heard that statement, and the first time was in a negative connotation. Like I said in my original post, I wasn't insinuating anything.

Hyacinth
04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
One that seems to work for me is "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten."

I've heard that now-infamous Kate Moss mantra over ten years ago in Weight Watchers. It's too bad the pro-ana subculture has taken it out of context, but I'd imagine they can justify unhealthy behaviors with many weight-loss mantras.

rockinrobin
04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
You can say absolutely whatever you want, it makes no difference to me one way or the other. Tattoo it on your forehead if that's what helps. I was simply just pointing out what I had heard about that statement. You don't have to put anything in caps to emphasize your point. I was simply stating that this was the 2nd time in my life that I've heard that statement, and the first time was in a negative connotation. Like I said in my original post, I wasn't insinuating anything.

I kinda like my caps ;).

Anyway, the original question from the OP, funny enough this phrase that we've been speaking about IS something I think of often.

Other things I tell myself:

How will I feel AFTER I eat it?

Is it worth it? Do I really need this? Can I live without it? Am I bored or am I hungry?

And than a real simple thing I sometimes say to myself

move on.

Beverlyjoy
04-18-2010, 10:36 AM
NO CHOICE - life is not fair sometimes - but, oh well.

It's something I like from Dr. Beck's book that I made a mnemonics thing.

ISNIR

I - Identify as a craving or dmesire. But, eating that food is not an emgergency

S- Stand firm - restrengthen my reserve!

N - No Choice - I don't have the choice to eat it - I don't think I can resist. I am feeling anxious, nervous (all those physcial reactions to a food I really want) I don't think I can stand it. But, of course I can.

I - Imagine how I will feel after I eat something not planned

R - Remember why I am doing all this.

Then my four D's

Distance myself from that food.
Distractions - walk, computer, sit on back porch, et
Drink water
Deep Breathing
Destroy the food that I am facing (better in the trash than me)

Seems like alot of 'stuff' - but, I use one or a combination of these resistance techniques.

Veil
04-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Beverlyjoy - THANK YOU!! super dee dooper post! Love the 5 D's!!

losermom
04-19-2010, 08:52 AM
I have to ask myself, "Why am I treating myself like a garbage can?"

Asherdoodles87
04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Wow, the sayings are really great! I am going to have to remember these. I don't really say anything to myself. I am more of a visualizer. I visualize the way I used to look at 250lbs. And then I think about what I might look like even heavier, say 300lbs. That does it every time. I step away from the food. I hate the way I used to look.

motivated chickie
04-19-2010, 09:12 AM
I try to parent myself through saying...

The next meal is coming soon, why don't you do something in the meantime. (Like go outside and play ;) )

You don't want to exercise? Do it for 10 minutes and if you hate it, you can stop.

Those two work for me.

astrophe
04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Your manta when you feel the urge to eat when you shouldn't?

I tell myself "Alright. chill out. And think about it sanely."

Then I reflect...

1) Am I actually hungry? Like appetite? How long ago did I last eat?

2) Am I lacking in a nutrient? Is this why I am craving this item?

3) Did I set myself up? (ex: skimp on last meal? Not enough protein? Fiber? Too low in calories?)

4) Will I set myself up later? (ex: If I don't eat now, will it cause a crazy binge situation later?)

5) Is it emotional eating? What am I feeling right now?

Then depending on the reflection, I adjust the area I need to adjust.

If you are talking about your meals being too small and unsatisfying, maybe you need to up the calories a bit?

GL!
A.

FunSize
04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I always ask myself what the consequences will be mainly, how will that effect the scale tomorrow?

VermontMom
04-20-2010, 09:52 PM
I ask myself - "Are you eating that just because it's there? What if it wasn't there? you wouldn't even know about it!" (this is especially in reaction to the huge chocolate bars DH has started bringing home :( )

time2lose
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Recently, I have been telling myself "I can have the junk food that I want or I can have the life that I want. So choose." For many years I ate all the high calorie junky food that I wanted and because of all the extra weight that I carried around, my life was very limited. As the weight came off, my quality of life increased. I now see it as a clear choice, high calorie junky food or my current high quality life!

SouthLake
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I tell myself my most recent low weight. It helps me remember how excited I was to see that number, and how hard I worked to get there. Helps to keep things in perspective for me.

I also ask myself if I want to eat *insert terrifyingly bad for you food here* as much as I want to lose weight.

LataJones
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
My recent mantra comes from Lyn's blog: "...the time will pass anyway and you can be fatter or thinner at the end of that time."

As a person struggling with binge eating, this saying holds special significance for me. The time is going to pass anyway so one day binge-free may seem insignificant, but many days binge free adds up and is significant.

It also reminds me that I won't see quick results overnight, but with enough time, I will. And at the end of that time I would rather be thinner and binge free than the reverse!

Time is going to pass anyway so I might as well take it one day at a time.

rachinma
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
I think I read it here on 3FC: "Everything matters."

Renwomin
04-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Recently, I have been telling myself "I can have the junk food that I want or I can have the life that I want. So choose."

This reminds me of a quote I read once, "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

Viviane
04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
This reminds me of a quote I read once, "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

That's a good one, I may have to take that! ;)

ma26
04-22-2010, 02:01 PM
"I can have it on Saturday."

That's my sort-of mantra, because that's the one day of the week that I allow myself to eat absolutely anything I want, as much as I want, all day long. Without it, I would go nuts obsessing over food.

So, if I'm craving a greasy pizza, I can have it Saturday. If I want McDonald's, Carl's Jr, an ice-blended coffee drink with whipped cream, pie, cake, candy, WHATEVER, I can have it Saturday. As much as I want. :D

This may not work for everyone, but it works great for me. I don't find it difficult to get myself back on track the next day, or to hold off until Saturday to cave in to whatever food desires I have.

I have tried the cheat day thing before myself. I have an incredibly difficult time getting back on track though. How have you made it work for you?

ninepaw
04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I always tend to fall back on the one in my signature... Eat less, move MORE!
And then there's the one my mom used to use that she told me yesterday, which just kind of made me laugh: "I don't want it, it makes me FAT!" :lol: