Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default how to build an at home exercise routine.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now but just can't seem to 'get' it.

When I do it, I like to exercise, but what I find difficult is 'how' to do it. I have the nintendo wii fit, my Jillian Michael's DVD, a weight lifting aparatus ( can't recall the name- a soloflex type thing-). At karate we do lunges, squats, kicks, jumping jacks, calisthenics, ab work, push ups, core holds, planks. and our regular kick and punch drills. It's also beautiful outside for walks.

What I want to do is come up with a routine of sorts- this many of X or to do Y for this long. I wanted to make somethign I could print out and put a mark or date for when I did it to keep myself accountable.

The black belt candidate children have a sheet that has certain exercises and how many of them, and they are to date and initial. It's supposed to be done M,W,F.

I find it difficult to just randomly work out. I feel directionless. I have all these resources but am still lost.
I feel silly for asking this but I am at the cusp of an awesome work out regimen.....
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/150/140

Height: 5 "5"

I cancelled my gym membership months ago and havent missed it! I have all of Jillian's DVDs except the new yoga one. I also have Taebo and Slim in 6(which I dont use as often as I should).This is what my routine looks like:
M- 30 Day Shred level 2 or 3(I start with this because I want to trick myself into starting the week with a workout thats not too long or too hard).
Tuesday- No More Trouble Zones
W- 30 Day shred Level 2&3
Th- Taebo
The following week I shake it up a bit by switching DVDs, the order, the length.
Also, it is important to pick a time. I do it right after I get home from work before I eat dinner. I make sure I do 4 times at least so that I can check it off!
Good luck!
zamzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #3  

I'm just writing to say we're neighbors!
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #4  

There's a couple of ways you could go:

You could buy a system of DVDs that has everything planned out for you, such as ChaLean Extreme, P90X, Insanity, Stephanie Huckabee's Powerfit or Harmony sets. Then all you have to do is follow their rotation.

You could also do a little research on-line and start designing your own rotations using what you have, or what you plan to get. Like the one above.

A lot of the instructors of these videos will post suggested rotations on their blogs or websites, or you could visit the Video Fitness Forum to get help and ideas (they have one section specifically FOR rotations and combinations.

Given what you've listed, I'm guessing the second option is the way to go for you, right now.

How familiar are you with general guidelines of fitness such as "don't do serious strength training to the same muscle group two days in a row"? (I could list a few things, but don't want to tell you stuff you already know )
Sassyinkpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #5  
Canadian on the Inside

Height: 5' 6"

Here's what mine looks like:

Sa- Hiking
Su- 30 Day Shred Level 2 or 3 or an hour walk around the neighborhood
M- 3 mile(ish) run around the neighborhood
Tu- Some sort of video that combines strength and cardio, like Biggest Loser Cardio Max
W- Running
Th- Another video, but usually less intense- maybe a Leslie Sansome video and a pilates video
F- Running

My routine is obviously running heavy, because that's what I'm focusing on right now, but before I ran three days a week I just did various other videos more often and ran once a week. Also, my Sunday workout just kind of depends on who I can get to workout with me- if no one wants to, then I do 3DS or something else short but intense so I can spend the most time with my family.
Paja is offline   Reply With Quote