Weight Loss Support - Water retention…I hate you with passion!

onthedietagain
04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Like seriously, what is going on with my body? On Sunday night I did a big mistake and had probably 10 green marinated olives late at night. I knew it is not the best idea, but we had very cozy evening by the fire with hubby and he was snacking on chips, so my intuition ))) told me:” Forget the chips, get some olives instead”.

Any ways, in the morning I was + 2 lb. I didn’t panic, as I knew it’s water ( my wedding ring barely fit on my swollen fingers).

I doubled my water intake yesterday to 3 L, had toast with jam and peanut butter for breakfast with coffee, 2 yogurts and orange for lunch , 1 hard boiled egg ( NO salt on top) and vegetable stew ( home made , not frozen food) for dinner at 6 pm and walked with dog for an hour and only had herbal tea in the evening…

How, HOW did I end up with extra 2 lb today in the morning and still swollen in my face and fingers? Plus 4 lb in 2 days!!! Aghhhh!!! :tantrum:

beerab
04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I notice sometimes water retention takes more than a day to fully show on the scale.

littlemissbliss
04-13-2010, 11:06 AM
I have tendencies towards water retention too, so I feel your pain. It's frustrating. During PMS, I always crave Thai soup, (Tom Yum), which is absolutely delicious, but the worst thing in the world for a premenstrual person to eat. I always blow up like a balloon for the next two days after I have it.

ambpure
04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes it's frustrating...

I usually drink more coffee and eat low carb the next day to flush it all out again ;-)

onthedietagain
04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Wow…ok, this is for girls who getting upset, like I did, about extra pounds over night. I lost 5 lb of water in one day!!! The most strange part of it, I didn’t drink my water yesterday (1.5 – 2.0 L is my usual per day), so I guess drink more – loose more don’t really apply to my body, does it?

I was actually thinking back to 9 years ago, when I was not counting calories, but just following intuitive eating with great success of keeping weight off , and I realized that I never forced myself to drink water or had big bottle on my desk, like I do now. I would have couple of glasses of water to take my herbal supplements, that’s all.

I never ever had problem with water retention back then. Now that I am forcing myself to have at least 1.5 L per day, I am straggling with water retention almost on weekly basis. Maybe I should just follow my intuition here as well and drink ONLY when I am thirsty? Is it possible that my body don’t like all that extra water I am putting in?:?:

Does anybody else don’t drink those 8 glasses per day and feeling ok?

Sunnigummi
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I only drink water when I feel moderately thirsty and I'm fine. My weight loss is going (slowly, but I think it's cause I'm closer to goal) and I haven't suffered. I LOVE the taste of water, but I was miserable when I would force myself to have 64 oz a day. I felt like I was chugging it when I didn't need it. Then I reverted to intuitive water intake, drinking only when I felt like it and I haven't felt miserable since! At least not about the water intake - sometimes my weight loss just makes me want to punch something (my scale)! ;)

Petite Powerhouse
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Though I started at a normal weight for my height, which should make weight loss more difficult, I've consistently lost about two pounds a week while only drinking water when I eat, when I work out, and during those rare times that a feel thirsty. There is also water in the vegetables I eat. Beyond what I get in these ways, I don't concern myself with water intake. I don't drink anything else, except that I do get milk and ice in protein shakes. On workout days I never end up consuming more than 40 or 50 ounces of water in a day (most of which is consumed while working out), and on non-workout days it is a lot less: between 20 and 30.

Like anything else, there will be those who champion consuming a lot of water and those who don't. After trying to drink water regularly for six months and never getting past living in the bathroom, I decided I really did not need that much water.

motivated chickie
04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Count me in among those who do not drink water. Most of my liquid I consume is through coffee and diet sodas. I do force myself to drink water before a workout. I think whatever works for people is fine.

I do realize that athletic performance is affected by dehydration. I mean look at football players collapsing in the heat. So, I drink water for exercise, not weight loss.

I have been losing weight fine with this approach- about 2 lbs per week for a month now.