100 lb. Club - Current photo and self-motivation

View Full Version : Current photo and self-motivation

Elladorine
04-13-2010, 03:12 AM
This plateau is killing me! I've been especially vigilant about my eating in the past few weeks but still no change. So instead of focusing on the negative I'm doing my best to think positive. I really feel I've come a long way but have to remind myself every so often. So I took a photo last night and placed it beside one near my highest weight . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/deepamethyst/4-12-10-current.jpg

Hard work really pays off! I'm using this as a reminder to keep going rather than give up; I'm sticking with lots of veggies, salads, and smoothies. It'll break one of these days, right? ;)

ValRock
04-13-2010, 03:22 AM
Wow!!! You look like a completely different person! You are beautiful :D & you can do it!

Satu
04-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Way to go! You look awesome. What tremendous progress! :congrat: Hang in there and just keep swimming through that plateau! :cheer2:

Your side-by-side photo comparison is a great idea for a reminder of the progress you've made! I recently started out at 364 lbs. (at 5 ft. 7 1/2 in.), and sometimes I feel so demoralized at having 200 lbs. to lose. But then I see progress pictures like yours, and I'm reminded that I can't wait to be 248 lbs. and enjoy all the delicious fruits of my hard work, like feeling and looking better (including getting rid of this double chin! -- you're a ch-inspiration! ;p )

As for your plateau, I'm no expert on such things, but the two things that come to mind are these: 1. Perhaps you are gaining muscle at the same rate as burning fat, and thus your fat loss is not being reflected on the scale at the moment?; 2. If you calorie count, I've read elsewhere on this site that some people find upping or lowering daily calorie consumption, or even calorie cycling, can help with plowing through plateaus. In any case, a plateau is not forever, so keep up the hard work and keep congratulating yourself on your progress!

I love your ticker, by the way! I began reminding myself Dorie's motto just the other night. :)

xMeaganx
04-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Okay....wow! You look completely different and the photo shows your accomplishment! Keep on with the positive and before you know it you will be out of your plateau.

beautifulone
04-13-2010, 04:48 AM
Yes!! It will definitely break!! Hang in there!

Your weight loss is amazing! Congratulations and good luck! :carrot:

I love the ticker!

matt_H
04-13-2010, 05:33 AM
You are beautiful and you've done so much for your health!

bythenumbers
04-13-2010, 07:20 AM
wow, I hope it does motivate you to stick with it, because it definitely motivates me! Thank you for sharing.

My thought on plateaus: I have no science or medical information on this, it is only how I think about it. I see them as time for your body to rethink normal, to reset what normal means. After losing a certain percentage, your body has to totally change how it works. Kind of like rebooting your computer. The pictures you took show how much it has to rethink about, how the blood flows, how the heart beats, what the system requires just to live...... ok, I am rambling, but it helps to think of plateaus as good things. If it reset to the present conditions as normal it seems less likely that you will gain it back. Sort of like on millionaire when you get to a certain amount of money, you are guaranteed that much and then you try for the next goal, takes a little longer and the questions are a little harder, but the pay off is so much more! You wouldn't say "Oh Meredith, I only need $5000, so I won't finish the game, no sense in going for the $25,000 or even the million....." how much more important is your health? Don't give up, you CAN do this!!!!!!!!!

Ok, that's as much as I've got this early :) Have an awesome day and enjoy the fact that you have lost so much that your body system have to catch up! Isn't the body God designed an awesome machine!

artic123
04-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Who's that girl? You look totally different. You should be so proud of your self. You are beautiful. Congratulations. Job, well done.

Beverlyjoy
04-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Yes....remember how far you've come in this journey. You look so beautiful. (I think you were pretty before, too)

The weight will come off. Darn that scale. Stay strong and stay on your plan. It will happen.

PeanutsMom704
04-13-2010, 07:46 AM
you look great and yes, that should be good inspiration because even in the very worst case scenario that you never lose any more weight, you are way better off now, right? But of course, that's not going to happen anyway - I agree with bythenumbers and I do think our bodies sometimes need a chance to reset to a new "normal" and then go from there. but having said that, I do wonder how long you've been at a plateau and what plan you are following right now? It's certainly possible that what worked 100 lbs ago has to be changed up to something that works for where you are now. (and maybe you have done that already and it is a plateau that you just have to ride out for a while - and if so, try to look for other goals to focus on like inches or a specific physical activity that you have to work to achieve)

ChunkySmoo
04-13-2010, 07:54 AM
you look amazing wow completely different person. congrats on you current accomplishment and good luck with the rest of your goal

paris81
04-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Why did you put pictures of two different women?! Just kidding, I get it--it's just that you look AMAZING and like a whole new person. What an accomplishment. Plateau or not, you're way more healthy than you were 100 lbs ago. You've already done so much for yourself.

Lyn2007
04-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes!! Keep up the GREAT work. Consistency and hard work do pay off! What motivating pictures :)

morrtric
04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
You look great! Just hang in there and maybe try to change things up a little bit. Our bodies become used to exercise and food fast if we are doing the same thing over and over. Good Luck!

Nikki6kidsmom
04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Awesome pictures. In order to break my 6 month stall I had to totally change my workouts and slowly I starting losing again. Keep it up chickie!

WarMaiden
04-13-2010, 11:54 AM
You do indeed look like a totally different person, and lovely and happy and healthy. You want to hang onto that; so keep at it.

But, perhaps it is time for a real change in your routine. From your blog, it sounds like you are not working out regularly. I would strongly suggest starting strength-training. Even 3x per week for 30 minutes could make a world of difference in your weight-loss.

Also, if you have insulin resistance--and most people who are/have been morbidly obese will have insulin resistance to some degree--I would suggest checking out a change in the type, frequency, and quantity of carbohydrates in your diet. Cutting out sugar/white refined carbs/fruit juice entirely might help. You seem to be a fan of fruit smoothies, but for some people too much fruit can stall out weight loss.

Sometimes the stuff we've done for X amount of pounds of weight loss just quits being "enough" and we've got to do more or different.

H8cake
04-13-2010, 01:59 PM
You are doing great! Hang in there and you'll bust through this plateau. You've come such a long way, just keep at it.

RunnerChemist
04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Just want to add that you not only look thinner, but younger and your skin has a nice glow. You have made phenomenal progress! Well done!

As for your plateau, I find that exercise is key for me, and trying to build a regular exercise habit should energize the loss and bust the plateau. As an added bonus, I am a lot happier and energized after my workout now.

Well done! Be proud!

OrganizedChaos
04-13-2010, 02:50 PM
First, Congratulations on a successful weight loss journey. You should be very proud of how far you have come. I myself am also at a plateau or a slow loss for the past few weeks so I understand your pain. Seeing how far you have come is such a great motivator for me. I realize that my weight loss will be slower now but I also realize that if I really want this, (and I do), that I can't base my success on the scale alone. I am trying to zig-zag my calories right now, and I have added strength training to my exercise routine. If you haven't tried shaking up your routine, you might try that.

Summerblue
04-13-2010, 04:04 PM
FABULOUS Job! Thanks for the inspiration/motivation - YOU'RE AWESOME!

haleysmommy5402
04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
wow you look like two totally different people .. you'll get through the plateau you have come so far .. I found a picture while cleaning my garage over the weekend that will be my motivation im hanging it on my fridge its not current .. its from high school i showed it to my fiance and i really don't think he knew it was me lol keep up the good work hun you'll definitely break through it and start losing again :)

Elladorine
04-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Thank you so much everyone! :grouphug: I can't tell you what a boost it's been to hear so many compliments and words of encouragement! In fact, I was able to push myself into making my aquafitness class today for the first time in a month! :swim:

I'm an apple so the majority of my excess weight is in my stomach. I'm currently at a size 24 but I'm willing to bet I'd be more like an 18 right now if it wasn't so disproportionate to the rest of my body. You should see how saggy the seat of my jeans are! :lol: I've been reading a lot recently about how belly fat is supposed to be the most dangerous kind though, and that scares me. My mom was definitely an apple and suffered a lot of health complications before passing away at age 56. And I recall all the health problems I was having at my highest weight. Most of those issues have subsided but I still worry that I'm carrying too much and that it could cause further problems when I'm not much older. :(

I think I should clarify that it has literally taken me 6 years to get this far; I've long reached the point where it's hard to remember who I was physically in that first photo, in fact it's almost unbelievable to know that at the rate I was gaining I was very much on my way to 400 pounds (I gained about 100 pounds in less than a year back in 2003, didn't try to do anything about it until sometime in 2004). What I do remember is feeling lost and being utterly depressed and ashamed back then, and we all know what a vicious cycle that can be . . .

Not that I've spent 6 years making a gradual loss mind you, lol . . . the majority of that time was either maintaining or being stuck in a plateau. I'd go through health kicks in which I'd shed thirty pounds or so within a few months, and after hitting a plateau I'd sort of let myself level off into maintaining. Thank goodness I never made any significant gains after these particular losses, apparently I managed to drop enough bad habits to prevent that from happening again like it did in my early 20's (I'm currently 34). The difference I'm trying to make this time is not letting my plateau turn into maintenance just yet . . . that needs to wait until I've reached my goal. ;)

My latest kick has allowed me to shed about 35 pounds this last summer and fall. But ever since January? I've been losing and gaining back the same 10 pounds (I hesitate to call it yo-yoing as my weight can easily fluctuate a good 8 pounds in just one day). I will take the blame for much of that; Christmas vacation completely threw me off and I got a bad case of the stomach flu after returning home. No matter how I tried to push myself, somehow I never managed to get back into the swing of things until just a few weeks ago. I was still eating relatively healthy, but wasn't being nearly as avid or watchful as I'd been in the summer and fall. And for various reasons (mainly due to my anxiety issues) I dropped off on my exercising as well.

I've noticed a pattern . . . it seems that every time I've gotten on my health kicks and lost a significant amount of weight it was typically about 30-35 pounds before I'd run out of steam. I've also realized that I've currently stopped around 250, where I'd spent the majority of my adult life at before meeting my ex boyfriend. And when I think about it, the two times I averaged at 250 and lost a significant amount (only temporarily though) I'd lost 30-35 pounds. Maybe my body wants a break every time I lose that amount?

I am indeed a fan of fruit smoothies, lol. I've cut down on my portions in the past few days though ever since I purchased my Magic Bullet. I've also been adding less fruit and more veggies to them. I hate the idea of cutting down on the carbs I currently allow myself (most of which are in the fruit I eat), but if I need to I guess I need to, lol. I've been staying away from simple carbs as much as possible but it wasn't always true in the previous months. I must admit that I spent a good part of this year pouting over what I could and couldn't eat, which made me feel needlessly helpless and gave me an overall bad attitude that probably didn't do much to help my progress. :( I also developed a strange obsession for McDonald's chocolate chip cookies and had trouble avoiding the drive-thru every time I went out just because of it, but I think I finally kicked the cookie habit a few weeks ago. :D

I hate counting calories, I really do. I get overly-preoccupied with thinking about how many I've had and how many I have left for the day, and I end up getting mean! I also tried Atkins this year but the program simply isn't for me. What seems to work for me is avidly reading labels for calorie content, size per serving, nutrition, and ingredients. I focus on whole foods, eat lots of salad greens and other veggies, lean proteins, nuts, beans, whole grains, healthy oils, berries, etc. I steer clear of white bread, white rice, sugar, and other simple carbs (although I occassionally allow myself small amounts of dark chocolate or dark chocolate-covered almonds). I also try to stay away from overly-processed foods, certain fats, and do most of my shopping at the perimeter of the store. I watch my portion sizes and eat slowly, letting my body tell me when I'm satisfied. Oh, and water! I make sure I drink tons of water and some occasional green tea.

I'm going to give myself a few more weeks of this shift in focus and see how it goes. I'm recommitting myself to my time in the pool and hoping I won't have to resort to counting calories (I hope the whole calorie thing isn't a bad attitude on my part, but perhaps I can change that in the coming weeks). I've done strength training in the past and I'm sure it would be a big help to me once again . . . maybe I should look into some exercise videos until I can work up the gall to do an orientation for the Y's gym (I currently only use their pool).

Once again, thanks for all the advice, encouragement, and compliments; every word is much appreciated! :hug:

ScarlettDrawl
04-14-2010, 07:53 AM
You look like your own daughter! Keep up the good work, plateaus don't last forever!

Eliana
04-14-2010, 07:56 AM
How awesome! What a transformation! Serenity, that is one very motivational picture. ;)

JustBeckyV
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM
WOOT WOOT -- incredible!!! Looking good!! Congrats on the great success!!

WarMaiden
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
I think it's important to remember that maintenance is not failure. In fact, maintenance is a huge success. Most people don't do that! Congrats on losing 100 pounds so far; it's really OK to take breaks and simply maintain every 30 pounds or so, if that is what works for you. (Most of us are not superheroes who can lose 100 pounds in a year. I know I'm definitely not.)

MidgieMonroe
04-14-2010, 01:48 PM
All of you ladies are a real inspiration to me. You look so amazing.

Judy Lynn
04-14-2010, 02:00 PM
You are doing amazing Sirenity! Just keep it up and you will get there!

Elladorine
04-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Thank you so much everyone!!! :grouphug:

ubergirl
04-16-2010, 09:00 AM
You look amazing, and you have already lost 100 lbs!!!!!

The scale has its own logic, which we don't control.

Good for you for staying OP! I have had LOTS of weeks where I was vigilantly on plan, working out like a maniac, and saw NO CHANGE. But eventually, the change always comes.

You look GORGEOUS!