Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #1  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Okay peeps, give me encouragement.

Okay people, I'm in need of some serious encouragement, some serious "you better do this or else", some serious words of wisdom, ect.!!!

I know what I need to do, but I'm not doing it and I don't know what I can do to get me moving.
Here's a typical morning routine for me:
I don't sleep well (long story), I have to physically get up out of bed and change sides due to pain every hour, so I usually get fed up with that routine any where around 3 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.
So, I'm usually up for good around 6 a.m.
I have two pieces of toast with very little light spread, a cup of coffee and my meds.
Then, a lot of time, that routine makes me sleepy, so I go and lay back down for maybe another hour of sleep.
Then, I get up and eat AGAIN.
And, a lot of the time I continue to eat for the next hour.

Now listen to this really sad story.
Our family life is dysfunctional due to my husbands dysfunctional upbringing, which he has inherited into his child rearing ways.
Daughter now 20, and my boy 12.
My son and I are very close and he is VERY emotional (red head!!) and VERY sensitive.

Well, one day, (and let me tell you I can read him like a book), he and I were in my car grabing a quick McD's lunch before we had to go to an activity.
We park someplace and I begin on my lunch, look over at him and he's got this funny look on his face and not eating.
I ask him, "What's wrong." To which he says, "Oh nothing." But, I know better and pursue. I ask again and he says, "My brain is saying things."
Now, I've already had this boy in therapy for another issue, now I'm getting concerned with the statement of "My brain is saying things."
My mind goes hyper.
So, I pursue it further because I can see that he is really troubled by this.
So, come to find out, his "brain" was telling him that I am DEAD.

Okay peps, now you tell me, shouldn't I be getting myself healthy because I need to be here for my boy if nothing else?
(And, on a side note, I quit COLD TURKEY from smoking 15 yrs. when I found out that I was pregnant with him. I CAN accomplish things....but it's always for MY KIDS. Should I make that my motivation with the weight??)

HELP ME.

Kelli
Frustrated and worried that maybe I can't do this.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!

You got the vent out... now what's the goals/plan? And make it SMART.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...ls-weight.html

GL!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #3  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Smile

Kelli. There is alot of information on this website. The maintainers has a maintenance library with some helpful information. Good Luck!

Last edited by VickieLou; 04-12-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #4  
This is my year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Welcome!

You got the vent out... now what's the goals/plan? And make it SMART.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...ls-weight.html

GL!

A.
Ya know, you're right. I did vent and it felt really good.
After I fix dinner for the family, I'm coming back to the computer and checking out your "how do I set short-longer term goals weight" and then I'm off to read through the maintenance library.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #5  
This is my year!

Default WOW, tons of good stuff to browse through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieLou View Post
Kelli. There is alot of information on this website. The maintainers has a maintenance library with some helpful information. Good Luck!

Awesome advice.
I just briefly looked at the maintenance libary and it looks like a great deal of information to meander through.
Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

From the perspective of someone who started about the same weight as you and has had a lot of success, my #1 suggestion to you would be to actively work on improving your sleep, first, before you try doing anything else. Sleep is highly relevant to weight loss and health; in fact, if you are not getting enough high-quality sleep, you will find it very difficult to lose weight or to feel better. Lack of sleep leads to insulin resistance, which impairs weight loss, messes with all your hormones, AND it increases your hunger--as well as your craving for simple carbohydrates. But once you are sleeping soundly and enough (7 to 8 hours per night), you will find that you have the physical and emotional energy to take much better care of yourself. You may even find that normalizing your sleep leads to spontaneous weight loss.

In order to normalize your sleep, I would suggest the following:

-- Cut out any and all sources of caffeine in your diet.
-- Get some physical activity each day.
-- Cut out sugar and white/refined carbohydrates completely.
-- If those don't fix the problem, add in a dose of melatonin about an hour before bedtime.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #7  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

Welcome!! YOu have to be doing this stuff for you frist then your family.. and make sure you can change your lifestyle to something you can keep up when your done the journey Good luck
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #8  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

I agree with WarMaiden, getting adequate and satisfying sleep has been studied as a factor in weight loss. (I have a book on the subject.) Sleep sets the stage for the next day, so I would tackle your sleep/pain issue first and then make a diet and exercise plan to help you reach your goals.
Good luck!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #9  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Had to hop in with my 2 cents...As a mom with a son with an array of mental health/behavioral diagnoses...I wonder what your plan is to get help for your son? I am sure I don't need to tell you that "my brain is telling me things..." is a big deal.

My heart goes out to you. It is hard enough to try to get healthy coming from a supper healthy supportive background with a supportive hubby and super healthy kids...it's a much harder thing to do to try to get healthy with so many obstacles in your path! Yes, you need to get healthy for your kids but more importantly for yourself! You are worth it!!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #10  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome to the group! There is lots of great information here to help you get started and get on track. The best thing is you are thinking about things and wanting to make a change. Now just get your plan in place. We all have our reasons for being here and wanting to changes our lives.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #11  
This is my year!

Wink Thank You All.

Thank you everyone who wrote their words of wisdom and encouragement.
I took it "all" in and will get myself a plan.

I'm so overwhelmed in my life that I just need to take one step at a time and not get frustrated. I need to stay focused and reach my goals. I have this stuck on my computer, "DAILY: fix your eyes on your goal and walk towards it. "Look straight ahead and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet, then stick to the path.........Proverbs 4:25-26?
Perhaps I need to read it more often!!!

I'm doing this!!!
I've wasted too much of my life being overweight and not being able to do stuff because of it. Those days are over.

I'm doing this!!!

Again, thank you all for what you wrote.

KELLI
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #12  
This is my year!

Talking I'm doing this!!

Hey my encouragers, I have lost some more weight AND my son and I went to the state park and walked about 1/3 of it this afternoon. And, we did it at a brisk walk.!!

I'm so doing this!!

THANKS AGAIN PEEPS.

KELLI