Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/233.2/140

Height: 5'7.5"

Default The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp

I couldn't figure out where else this might go, so please redirect me if I'm in the wrong place.

I figured, however, that since the show now offers training videos, it fits here.

Anyway, does anyone watch this show on "Slice"? They film it in my hometown of Vancouver, and while I love some elements of it, others disappoint me.

For instance, the Nutritionist Nadine is just plain nasty. Her patronizing looks and food-shaming attitude seems completely out of place for a show about losing weight healthfully. I also heard from a friend of mine whose sister was on the show that she's not the actual nutritionist -- the real girl was apparently deemed not pretty enough to be on camera. So this woman's only qualification is as on-air talent, and she's devoid of charisma and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The other thing is... the women they pick want to tighten up their bodies, but almost none of them could be called "fat," yet they're told to shame themselves by pulling at flab and making self-depricating remarks about their body parts.

Is it too much to ask for a television show that makes weight loss more of a positive, healthy activity than a shaming one? Living in Vancouver, the fittest city in Canada, is hard enough without making me feel like a complete hippo next to this average girls who just want to tone up.
viklane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

I completely agree with you about that show...although I always wanted to get picked for that show - its a little much and unrealistic. Ever watch "X-weighted" with Paul Plakas?? That's my fav and is much more truthful I think!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyG View Post
I completely agree with you about that show...although I always wanted to get picked for that show - its a little much and unrealistic. Ever watch "X-weighted" with Paul Plakas?? That's my fav and is much more truthful I think!
I feel as though the nice thing about X-Weighted is that it's basically a documentary of an average person trying to lose weight over 6 months without any help. No special ranch to be flown to where you can disregard work and your family, and no drill sargent coming to kick you out of bed at 6am.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

I love X-Weighted! I especially liked the family edition they did recently. I would also love to see Slice do another season of Taking it Off. These shows are much more realistic about the battles with food and exercise that many of us have to face day-to day then going on a stringent diet and exercise program for 4 weeks, fit into a target outfit, and then relapse into old habits.

Last edited by LataJones; 04-12-2010 at 02:20 PM.
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LataJones View Post
I love X-Weighted! I especially liked the family edition they did recently. I would also love to see Slice do another season of Taking it Off. These shows are much more realistic about the battles with food and exercise that many of us have to face day-to day then going on a stringent diet and exercise program for 4 weeks, fit into a target outfit, and then relapse into old habits.
That's the part that concerns me. They never have "follow-up" shows, but since it's actually filmed where I live, I have seen a former contestant (one of the handful of men they've shown) on the street a few months later, and he'd clearly gained back all of the weight. When they go into these people's houses, they strip the fridge of all of the foods they love, instead of doing the smart thing and showing them healthy alternatives. You just know that someone who loved burgers isn't going to settle for a tuna wrap. Show them how to do a burger with lean meat and whole grain bread.