Old 04-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/228/160

Height: 5 ft 9

Default Do I have to stop eating sugar?

I'm with OA, but not yet very regularly. Lately I've been hearing and reading a lot that people had to stop eating certain foods. Is that how OA is set up? I was thinking of recovery in the sense of being able to treat foods like "normal" eater, i.e. not needing to stay away from them.
LouiseOneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

As far as I know OA doesn't have an eating plan.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #3  
Member of OA

S/C/G: 306/170/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Only one requirement for membership in OA

The only requirement for membership in OA is a desire to stop eating compulsively. Period. Nothing else. No member is required to give up any food.

That said, some sponsors will only sponsor other members who are willing to eat as they do and often that does mean giving up sugar and flour. This is not an OA rule. This is rule imposed by a particular sponsor.

When I wrote my history with food, it was very clear that sugar and white flour where trigger foods for me so, I have given up sugar and white wheat flour. These two foods, separately or together, create in me the desire to eat compulsively. Can I resist this desire? Well, sometimes, but experience has shown me two things. First, eventually, sugar and flour cause me to want to binge. Second, life without them is a good life for me!

We have a slogan in OA. Find someone who has what you want and ask them how they got it. Not everyone has had to give up sugar, but many of us have. Of course, we just give it up for one day at a time.

So, try finding a sponsor who has no problem with sugar.

Good luck and keep coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseOneDay View Post
I'm with OA, but not yet very regularly. Lately I've been hearing and reading a lot that people had to stop eating certain foods. Is that how OA is set up? I was thinking of recovery in the sense of being able to treat foods like "normal" eater, i.e. not needing to stay away from them.
misterimpatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/197/140

Height: 5'4

the word "Abstinence" comes up at every meeting for us. My sponsor just ordered an OA abstinence book that goes into furthur detail, but my understanding of "abstinence" is to abstain from compulsive overeating- as the previous poster said. Sugar is not my issue- my issue is certain foods, some that contain sugar, etc. Several people at my meeting gave up white flour and sugar, but I have not. I have just stopped eating my trigger foods. My sponsor said abstinence is different for everyone.
maisiedotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #5  
Member of OA

S/C/G: 306/170/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Abstinence in OA

Actually, abstinence in OA has a very precise definition. It is, as of May 2009:

"Abstinence in Overeaters Anonymous is the action of refraining from compulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors."

The above quote was taken from the FAQs on the OA website. I can't post a link because I don't have enough posts yet so...see if you can figure it out from this:

www(dot)oa(dot)org/faq(dot)php#7

Abstinence is a simple concept.

Cheers!
misterimpatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Misterimpatient is correct regarding the OA definition of abstinence. Maisiedotes is also right about abstinence being personal as well. My personal abstinence involves not eating sugar, flour or wheat or eating in volume. I have 50 days abstinence as of today (thank you God!)

So to answer the OP, you may not have to give up sugar to be abstinent. I suggest praying to your Higher Power about how your abstinence should be.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote