100 lb. Club - Why just egg whites, and not the whole egg?

rakel
04-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Just sayin'. I think eggs are perfectly healthy and I don't see why people always make things with just egg whites. I mean, I could see if you were eating more than 1-2 eggs a day, but even your body needs cholesterol. It seems like the cholesterol found in eggs is a lot better than the cholesterol you might find in processed foods. :?:

ValRock
04-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Well for me... it comes down to calories. I take no issue with egg yolks and eat plenty of them but when I make omeletes I get more food for my calorie buck if I pull a few of the yolks out ;).

rakel
04-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Ah that makes sense. So say you make an omelette with 3 eggs, you might only use 1 yoke, and 3 of the whites?

PeanutsMom704
04-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I eat a whole egg every day and I love them, but I also eat 2 or more egg whites every day. Having 3 or 4 whole eggs every day (plus whatever egg I get in things like noodles or bread) adds up to more than I want in terms of both calories and fat.

WarMaiden
04-10-2010, 09:35 AM
I eat the whole egg when I eat eggs, which is pretty often.

Hyacinth
04-10-2010, 09:36 AM
I've followed conventional wisdom of tossing a yolk or two, but there are many articles that refute this idea:

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/are-egg-yolks-really-unhealthy-356261.html

I'm going to try to find a source for free-range eggs!

MyBestYear
04-10-2010, 09:39 AM
For me, it comes to calories too. I can have a hugggge omelet with mostly egg whites (and one whole egg with yolk) which gives me the 'volume' that helps keep me satisfied, rather than a small one with say, two whole eggs.

rakel
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Well, it just seems to me, from a common sense standpoint, that the egg whites are just kind of... there. They don't really have very much nutrition. Now I'm not saying that the more calories something has the more nutrition it has, obviously a cup of carrots have more nutrition than a cup of potato chips, but the egg yolk has all of the vitamins, minerals, etc. After all, that's where the would-be baby chick gets all of their nourishment during gestation.

Maybe it shouldn't, but it just bothers me when I see so many people wasting those yolks. I just found this article on the web, and I think it sums up my feeling exactly, although I didn't know all of that information about eggs:

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/whole-eggs-or-egg-whites.html

Personally, I think that I would be fuller longer on 1 whole egg than 2 egg whites. And when I do eat scrambled eggs in the morning, I am full for a long time, sometimes past "lunch time." Even on a limited calorie budget, you could probably fit at least 200 calories on breakfast, which could include 2 eggs and a little cheese (and whatever veggies you want to add to it). For me, I have a fairly high calorie budget of around 2,000 per day... I can fit 2 eggs in my diet no problem. Maybe even a slice of bacon (gasp!) and a piece of toast (double gasp!).

ValRock
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Ah that makes sense. So say you make an omelette with 3 eggs, you might only use 1 yoke, and 3 of the whites?

Yes, this exactly! 3 whole extra large eggs = 255 calories while 1 egg plus 2 whites = 119 calories. To me it's just about as filling this way and saves me enough calories to justify a little cheese ;)... which is my favorite thing.

ETA:
Whites do contain almost 4grams of protein each which is nothing to cluck at ;). They go a long way at filling me up.

ETA: again... haha I usually buy a carton of eggbeaters whites so I don't feel so bad about throwing all those yolks away. When we had our dog living with us I used to feed the yolks to him. It's good for their fur :D.

rakel
04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh, and to the person thinking about free range hens -- ME TOO! I'm going to the farmers market today... I hope someone has some eggs!

tiffany0809
04-10-2010, 09:49 AM
I hope it's ok that I post here, but I just wanted to comment on the egg conversation.

rakel, I totally understand where you're coming from on the egg white thing. I count calories, so I limit myself to 2 eggs when I do eat them. But I eat the whole egg. I just don't find egg whites to be as tasty, and it's not nearly as filling as with the yolk. I could eat a ton more egg whites for the same calories but I also want to ENJOY my food, and honestly I LIVE for egg yolks. It's so delicious and the trade off is that I have to eat fewer of them.

And that was an interesting article, thanks for posting. :)

marigrace
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I eat fresh whole eggs from my friends yard . Two eggs in a veggie omelet...just delicious, and you get alot of nutrition for the calories. Cooked with Pam and 1/2 tsp of butter this comes in at 200 calories for breakfast.

PeanutsMom704
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I think the thing is that if you are on a restricted calorie diet to lose weight, there are always going to be trade offs. I don't eat too much fruit - it's very healthy and it tastes good but I have to figure out ways to get in the maximum amount of nutrients in the calorie range I follow. A hardboiled egg white is 17 calories and 3.6 gr of protein. It's not all I eat at a meal, but it's a way for me to add some extra protein for a minimal amount of calories. If I ate 2 whole eggs with my breakfast instead of 2 egg whites, I'd have to cut that extra 120 calories from something else. Everyone has to figure out how to allocate their food and what tradeoffs work best for them.

rakel
04-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I stay away from both.

For me it all comes down to calories. I egg WHITE has 17 calories a WHOLE egg - 80 calories. That's a BIG difference. AND there is lots of protein in the white. I can eat a huge, satiating, delicious 4 egg white omlette for only 68 calories (plus my additions). One single egg comes in at 80.

Your body uses cholesterol every day as a natural function of your body. There is "good cholesterol" and "bad cholesterol" ... I just read an article that mentions this, and there are more studies that say maybe eggs actually help you improve your overall good and bad cholesterol levels. Eggs are natural, a hamburger at McDonalds is not. That's not to say that you should chow down a half-dozen eggs a day, of course -- everything in moderation.

I just feel like maybe those egg yolks are being ignored. One of the articles a previous posted put up there said that the benefit of the egg white is diminished if you don't eat the yolk too -- because of all of the muscle building amino acids in the yolk.

I haven't eaten very many eggs in my day, in fact when I was growing up I hated them. But as I am getting older I like them a lot more and I just think they are an amazing food in their whole. Yeah, I mean, the yolks have more calories than the whites, but isn't a part of this journey, too? Just like how I might have full fat peanut butter instead of reduced fat? You know? Or eat an avocado once in awhile because it has good for me fat, even though it can be high in calories?

Also, as far as all of these "studies" go, they are constantly going back and forth on these things. I think sometimes you should just listen to the conventional wisdom of our grandparents. After all, it's our generation that has this problem, to the extent that it has been. Which, on a side note, is also largely due to the fact that pretty much everything we buy is processed and made from corn.

Shmead
04-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Right, but you can't look at the yolks/no yolks thing in isolation: you don't know what else people are eating. For each of us, finding a combination of foods that provides the nutrition, bulk, and emotional satisfaction we need is a complicated, highly-individual process (which is why "self-crafted" and then tweaked diets are better than canned ones for almost everyone).

I mean, let's say Suzie could get her fat from eating egg yolks and not just egg whites in her salad, but then she would have to cut the cheese out, and she loves, loves the cheese. It's the part of her lunch she looks forward to, the bites she most enjoys. Yes, she's wasting a chunk of calories that starving third-world children would love to have, and adding $2/week to her grocery bill, but so what? Eating those yolks--and not that cheese--wouldn't actually help those starving children, and $2 a week is a pretty small indulgence in the grand scheme of things.

I guess what I am getting at is that many (most? practically all?) overweight people have all sorts of "guilt" issues when it comes to food--we feel guilty when we eat anything unhealthy, but we also feel guilty when we turn down food others offer us. We feel guilty when we "waste" food if we aren't hungry--we feel guilty if we waste food our SO's or children or guests didn't eat. A huge part of losing weight is learning not to feel guilty about healthy food choices, and tossing yolks can be a sensible choice.

rakel
04-10-2010, 10:00 AM
I hope it's ok that I post here, but I just wanted to comment on the egg conversation.

rakel, I totally understand where you're coming from on the egg white thing. I count calories, so I limit myself to 2 eggs when I do eat them. But I eat the whole egg. I just don't find egg whites to be as tasty, and it's not nearly as filling as with the yolk. I could eat a ton more egg whites for the same calories but I also want to ENJOY my food, and honestly I LIVE for egg yolks. It's so delicious and the trade off is that I have to eat fewer of them.

And that was an interesting article, thanks for posting. :)

Absolutely. To me the egg white balances out the yolks, since the yolks are very rich, and the whites are light. I couldn't imagine eating just the yolks or just the whites.

I made a chocolate cake the other day for my husband's birthday which called for just 2 egg whites. It seriously pained me to throw away that yolk. :o

ValRock
04-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Lol. To each their own. In my world in the battle of egg yolk vs cheese.... Cheese always wins ;).

rakel
04-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Right, but you can't look at the yolks/no yolks thing in isolation: you don't know what else people are eating. For each of us, finding a combination of foods that provides the nutrition, bulk, and emotional satisfaction we need is a complicated, highly-individual process (which is why "self-crafted" and then tweaked diets are better than canned ones for almost everyone).

I mean, let's say Suzie could get her fat from eating egg yolks and not just egg whites in her salad, but then she would have to cut the cheese out, and she loves, loves the cheese. It's the part of her lunch she looks forward to, the bites she most enjoys. Yes, she's wasting a chunk of calories that starving third-world children would love to have, and adding $2/week to her grocery bill, but so what? Eating those yolks--and not that cheese--wouldn't actually help those starving children, and $2 a week is a pretty small indulgence in the grand scheme of things.

I guess what I am getting at is that many (most? practically all?) overweight people have all sorts of "guilt" issues when it comes to food--we feel guilty when we eat anything unhealthy, but we also feel guilty when we turn down food others offer us. We feel guilty when we "waste" food if we aren't hungry--we feel guilty if we waste food our SO's or children or guests didn't eat. A huge part of losing weight is learning not to feel guilty about healthy food choices, and tossing yolks can be a sensible choice.

Excellent point. I guess I do have that guilty nature you mentioned when wasting food. Not so much for starving children in Africa, unfortunately the decisions I make here on what I do or don't eat don't have much baring on their situation. Starving children in Africa would probably find this whole conversation petty, actually.

I agree, it all boils down to your personal preferences and what you can fit in your healthy diet, but all I'm suggesting is that MAYBE, egg yolks can be included in that healthy diet as a nutritionally dense food that will keep you full for a long time :)

rakel
04-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Ok, let me tell you guys. I love cheese. LOVE IT. But I have been eating a lot less of it these days. If I make a turkey burger, no cheese. Sandwhich? No cheese. Pasta? No cheese. But dang it, if I make scrambled eggs, I'm puttin' cheese in it!!

Beverlyjoy
04-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes, the yoke does have good nutrition, but, my doctor said to stay away from the yokes..so, I do.

I agree - three egg whites make a great scramble and are just 55 calories.

I have the yokes once in a while.

Shmead
04-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Excellent point. I guess I do have that guilty nature you mentioned when wasting food. Not so much for starving children in Africa, unfortunately the decisions I make here on what I do or don't eat don't have much baring on their situation. Starving children in Africa would probably find this whole conversation petty, actually.

One of the traditional signs of an alcoholic is if you would never, ever walk away and leave half a drink--even if you didn't want it, you couldn't stand to see it wasted. There are problems with the food as an addiction model, but I think there are parallels. It was huge for me to realize that eating food I don't want is still wasting it. After all, it's not doing anyone any good, not providing needed nutrition or pleasure. "I'm stuffed, but I have to eat the rest of this, there isn't enough to take home" seemed perfectly logical to me for 30 years--to just walk away and leave 1/4 of a meal was simply impossible. Unthinkable. Never crossed my mind.

Overweight people often think they eat the exact same as the thin people they know, but I think a lot of the difference is in things like that--NOT finishing the last of a meal, or standing in the kitchen eating the breadstick that was left over from dinner that no one--including you--wanted, because "they don't really keep, so I have to eat it now".

Letting go of that mind set made all the difference in the world for me.

ValRock
04-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Such a good point!!

GirlyGirlSebas
04-10-2010, 10:22 AM
For those of us with high cholesterol, egg yokes are not a good idea. We should stay under 200mg or less of dietary cholesterol a day in addition to many other dietary changes. One whole egg has 212 mg.

Lyn2007
04-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I buy free range local eggs. I LOVE them, so fresh, more delicious, and the yolks are a deep, rich orange from all the beta carotene from the grass the hens eat. I would never throw one of those yolks away! That said, I cannot "afford" the calories in those eggs every day at 80 cal each. So I also buy a carton of egg beaters (you can also get a carton of "just whites") and use those when I want a lot of food for a little calories, and tons of protein. This way I can have the best of both worlds! Egg beater omelets some days, or a couple of whole, fresh, free range eggs with their nutritious yolks another day.

marigrace
04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
It all boils down to what you like to spend your calorie alotment on. I am into eating whole foods, so that includes whole eggs.

lovemyboy
04-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Yes, eggs have gotten a bad rap. They are quite an amazing powerhouse of nutrition even moreso if you go for free range eggs or eggs from non-grain fed chickens. I think the bad rap was linked to misinformation about cholesterol. Here is a link to one article about cholesterol - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27taubes.html

lovemyboy
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I forgot to add that my bloodwork has actually improved, lipids, cholesterol (HDL and LDL), triglycerides, blood sugar, etc. since eating eggs daily as part of my plan. I chose to make adjustments elsewhere to allow for the eggs because I really, really function so much better with protien for breakfast. I guess for others they determined the metaphorical cost was not worth the benefit.

MikoMarcia
04-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I like the egg whites better, as far as taste goes. But it's all about the calories for me. I like having a big cheesy egg-white omlet vs a small whole egg omlet with just veggies. I don't really like eggs in general, though. I only eat a big ol omlet after my cardio workout.

Tomato
04-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Just sayin'. I think eggs are perfectly healthy and I don't see why people always make things with just egg whites. I mean, I could see if you were eating more than 1-2 eggs a day, but even your body needs cholesterol. It seems like the cholesterol found in eggs is a lot better than the cholesterol you might find in processed foods. :?:

Rakel,

I am 100% with you. I have an egg almost every day, and sometimes more than 1 on a weekend. I know a lot of people toss the yolk but to me that is horribly wasteful. I love eggs for their nutrients and I think an omelete made just from egg whites is ummm .... ack. I usually use 1 entire egg plus I add some liquid egg white (from a carton, I purchase it by a truckload at Costco) for some additional protein.

On a weekend, I would have 2 or 3 scrambled eggs (entire eggs) with some turkey bacon for breakfast if I feel like it - or, more often, as a sort of a brunch after I come from a weight lifting session at the gym.

WildThings
04-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I eat eggs everyday. Usually 2 boiled, scrambled, or sometimes even pan fried (with 1/8tsp of olive oil) eggs for breakfast every day. The only time I remove the yolk is if I am making a huge omelette. I will do one or two whole eggs than an egg white or two. Everything I eat is very low in fat, and cholesterol for that matter. Somewhere in my diet, I need to get in fats, which are essential for proper vitamin absorption, so I get them from my eggs, and a little olive oil here and there. Also, I agree, whole eggs fill me up and keep me full way longer than egg whites only.

marigrace
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Just because you're not eating the whole eggs, does not mean that you're not eating whole FOODS.

And I agree, it's about where you like to *spend* your calories.

Whew...this could go on for ever lol...no, personally I don't consider part of an egg, a whole food....just my opinion...if you would rather discard the yolk, or buy the cartons to get the calories down, it is totaly your call.

kaplods
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I agree that the guilt has to go out of the window. Guilt for eating whole eggs, guilt for throwing away the yolks - guilt for choosing grocery store eggs - guilt for spending money of free range eggs - all are ridiculous. The food guilt has to stop!

Biodegradable trash is the least of our problems when it comes to natural resources, with the amount of crap we throw away that we don't have to (or shouldn't have had to use like over-packaging), worrying about an egg yolk down the drain or in the trash is absolutely insane.

When I make an omelette, I use one whole egg and a couple of egg whites, and I get it from both ends. Friends telling me that I should eat the whole eggs, friends telling me I should only eat the egg whites, telling me I should buy different eggs, friends telling me I should buy eggbeaters (NO WAY, that one makes no sense, especially on the grounds that it's "less wasteful," forgetting about the carton and all the resources used to make the egg product).

Understand the choices and then choose. I'm not going to tell you it's the wrong choice for you, and I'm not going to listen when you tell me my choices are wrong for me. I've already done my homework, and I'm satisfied with my choice.

Yeah, I know I sound a little ranty, I just think the subject is one of those molehill to mountain issues that creates a debate out of a simple choice. There are good reasons for all of the choices (I admit I don't get the "eggbeaters" one, as they're more expensive, with more artificial ingredients, not much more convenient, waste more resources, and I just don't think they taste as good as any of the other options - but it's an argument I usually don't pull out unless someone is criticising me for not using them).

kaplods
04-10-2010, 02:51 PM
personally I don't consider part of an egg, a whole food....just my opinion...

By that definition, you should really be eating the shell as well (it is edible, and many people and animals do eat it).

And if you eat meat, you also should be eating the fat, the blood, ALL of the internal organs, the skin, and the bone. No animal in a natural setting eats only the muscle meat and refuses the rest, and that includes man (shunning all but the muscle is a relatively rare habit in the world, even today). Early man ate the whole critter, and many cultures (most with fewer health problems than ours) still do.

The SAD is one of the most depleted diets because we've shunned the practices that were associated with being poor (eating whatever could be obtained including everything from an animal that is edible). Many cultures still do, but shunning the foods of poverty is an unfortunate and nearly universal side effect of prosperity that is seen repeatedly across time and nation.

Primm
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I eat whole eggs because I prefer the taste. I tried eating egg whites, but I'd rather have something else like chicken/turkey to get my protein if that's my only option.

I prefer to spend my calories on a smaller, more flavourful (in my opinion) omelette without cheese. Others may prefer the larger, bulky, egg white omelette. That's their preference. It all comes down to the fact that we're individuals with the capacity to make choices.

MyBestYear
04-10-2010, 08:10 PM
A lot of assumptions are being made in this thread, wow.

Firstly, I don't "waste" any yolk, I feed them to my cat, who is probably more biologically suited to eat them and isn't obese :)

Secondly, egg whites are not void of nutrition. They have a ton of protein by percentage which helps keep hunger at bay, helps build lean muscle and helps in carb-linking (such as in an insulin resistance diet).

I get my saturated fat from a vegetarian source, virgin organic coconut oil, which in my humble opinion, is nothing short of a miracle food (and skincare product).

I am not at all scared of fat or cholesterol (and I do eat the whole egg when I hardboil eggs) - but when making an omelet or scrambled eggs, I honestly cannot taste the difference after all my tasty (and more preferable to yolks) additions.

I also buy free range organic eggs.

I don't subscribe to the "wasting food" mindset. Me becoming more obese because I don't want to "waste" that egg yolk won't help anyone starving in Africa. Me getting fit enough to raise money for starving children by donating the money I am not spending on extra food, or by being able to participate in walk-athons, or by being able to tithe more rather than spend money on health insurance co-pays, or me being able to stand on my feet for several hours at a food kitchen because I am not morbidly obese...etc... *could* actually help hungry people.

Truthfully, and I mean no disrespect, but I think people should concern themselves with their own eating/dietary habits before they put their oar into a canoe that didn't ask for paddling help :)

I find the turn this thread has taken to be a bit off-putting.

MyBestYear
04-10-2010, 08:15 PM
P.S. Whole foods by definition are unprocessed foods in their natural state. It doesn't mean LITERALLY the whole food. Unless of course, you eat all your mushroom stems, strawberry caps, orange pithes, and onion skins.

Sheesh.

ValRock
04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
P.S. Whole foods by definition are unprocessed foods in their natural state. It doesn't mean LITERALLY the whole food. Unless of course, you eat all your mushroom stems, strawberry caps, orange pithes, and onion skins.

Sheesh.

LOL I was wondering about that too :dizzy:.

OH and Coconut Oil is truly truly amazing.

Primm
04-10-2010, 08:22 PM

Sheesh.

Unnecessary, much? I think the first part of your post was really all that was required.

ICUwishing
04-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Ditto what Loverboy said earlier. My cholesterol was pushing 300 when I started my changes early last year, and one of those changes was giving up cereal and milk for breakfast in favor of all sorts of various proteins. I started making eggs a regular part of my day, maybe 4-5 days a week, and gave up a whole lot of simple carbs in favor of higher protein/higher fats. Last month - 213, the 3rd consecutive drop.

Agreed, it's what you like, what likes you, and how many calories you can devote. But to fear eggs because of cholesterol is just "old school". Yolks, for those that don't like them or can't afford the calories, can absolutely transform damaged hair, BTW!

MyBestYear
04-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Nearly as unnecessary (imo) as the assumptions that people who eat egg whites:

are scared of fat or cholesterol
are wasteful
don't know what the best part of an egg is
don't eat whole foods
eat nutrition-less foods...

I could go on but I am removing my energy now and focusing on my plan, my success, my journey. I don't feel I am setting myself for success in further participating in a thread which seeems to me to be thriving and focusing on criticizing the choices of others.

Primm
04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
When did I ever say that?

I prefer to spend my calories on a smaller, more flavourful (in my opinion) omelette without cheese. Others may prefer the larger, bulky, egg white omelette. That's their preference. It all comes down to the fact that we're individuals with the capacity to make choices.

rakel
04-11-2010, 12:46 AM
For the record, I was never trying to be accusatory in any fashion, just genuinely curious, as I noticed that when people post their menus on here it's all egg white this, egg white that and I have never really thought of that before. I feel like there is a lot of misinformation going around about eggs.

As far as my statement about not liking to throw them away, it's not because I'm worried about the cost of eggs and wasting them or wanting to eat them anyway, it's because it's the most nutritional part of the egg, and it just seems to be a shame to throw it out. And if you know some uses for just the yolks like for your cat food or whatever than you are just being resourceful and that is awesome.

Do I have some guilt issues or not wanting to waste food like mentioned in this thread? Yeah probably, who can be over 300 pounds and not? I know I have a problem, and I'm here to fix it. But eating whole eggs (not including the shells) did not make me 300lbs... :) It was more like the cookies and candy and chocolate cake, and just not knowing when to stop.

Anyway, if I was ever rude in this thread, I'm sorry. I was not trying to start any heated debate. I respect all of you people here and I'm sure you have great reasons for what you do. I was just curious.

ValRock
04-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah... I dunno. I DID get to 250something pounds by eating things like eggs. I just ate TOO MANY of them! We are all where we are for different reasons and we all do the things we need to do to get healthy. I'm very aware of the nutritional contents of every single food I choose to put into my mouth. Tons of egg yolks just don't fit into my plan right now. Even if they were the healthiest food on the planet I'd probably choose other things to eat instead... I, honestly, just don't like them enough ;).

We all have our own reasons!

kaplods
04-11-2010, 03:37 AM
For the record, I was never trying to be accusatory in any fashion, just genuinely curious, as I noticed that when people post their menus on here it's all egg white this, egg white that and I have never really thought of that before. I feel like there is a lot of misinformation going around about eggs.

Keeping in mind, I'm not picking on you here. I know your intention wasn't to be divisive. It was to educate, but I think you didn't realize that there may have been less ignorance than you originally thought. If you look at the responding posts, they've not been for the most part "hey, I didn't know that" but rather they reflect that most people have made an educated decision. They have made a choice based on information, not misinformation.

I think that there's a lot less misinformation going around here than is often thought (on just about any weight loss subject). These types of threads happen a LOT here. Whenever there is a choice to be made, it seems someone assumes that there's "a lot of misinformation going around" when they see different choices than their own. (I'm not being critical, it's an easy assumption to make).

To a point it's true, but I do think most people here are more educated on the issues than they're given credit for.

I think an open-ended question like "do you eat eggs -the whole egg, only the yolk, only the white, only eggbeaters, and why?" Will inspire a less heated "debate" than stating an assumption that people are uninformed and don't realize what they're missing. You may be right, but even so, the question can easily be perceived as condescending by someone who has consciously made a different choice.

As I said, these threads are very common. Anyone who's been here a while has seen them (and the same defensiveness and debate) on a host of topics. Eggs are one of the most popular topics as are water (does it help weight loss, does it have to be plain and how much of it do you need), Coffee (does it help weight loss, is it hazardous or beneficial or neither, is it dehydrating how much, do you have to drink extra water to compensate for it) artificial sweeteners (which are safe, which are hazardous, and why), low-carb (is it effective, can it work, who is it right for, is it sustainable), exercise (is it necessary, how much, what kind).....

Every time these and similar subjects comes up (where there's a difference of opinion on the best choice), the thread starts with some variation of
"I think there is a lot of misinformation about...." with the OP proceeding to educate the ignorant on the best (in their opinion) choice, assuming that the people who are making a different choice (or at least a great number of them) are making a poor and uneducated decision.

I've done so much weight loss research over the past four decades that it's probably the equivalent of master's degrees in nutrition, biochemistry, sociology and exercise physiology (and I'd add psychology, but I already have that degree, which as it's in developmental psychology incorporates some coursework in the "other" areas as well).

Yet, I've often been accused of being misinformed on the very subjects I feel that I have researched to death. The natural instinct is to say "Oh no, it's YOU who are misinformed, because......"

It's very easy to believe that a person who makes a different choice is doing so because they're ignorant or misinformed, but I think more often they've been differently informed. Or they have ALL of the information they need to make a different choice.

It's amazing how many times people say "everyone is different, but" and then proceed to state how anyone who isn't doing things their way is probably misinformed. It comes accross as, "Most people should be doing it my way. A few of you may be making a different choice for a good reason, but most of you just don't know any better, here let me show you the way)".

I know this may seem like a bit of a rant, and it is - but not against you. Against the perception that "most" of us on 3FC don't know what we're doing.

I've been here a long time, and it constantly amazes me that 3FC members are some of the MOST educated people in regards to weight loss science. It constantly amazes me how informed we are as a whole. We have people here without a high school diploma who know more about nutrition than the average MD, and not only could but HAVE taught their own doctors (and I admire even more the doctors who are willing to learn from patients, because they're so much rarer).

I think that sharing information (and even misinformation) tends to come across more positively than "correcting misinformation." Because when someone says "this is what I believe," and someone else says "I disagree because ....." it's a psychological exchange of information (equality based), whereas trying to teach someone you believe is misinformed (before you've found out whether they've been misinformed) often is interpreted as disrespect.

It's easy to say "never make assumptions," but the fact is people do. It's going to happen. It's also going to be responded to with defensiveness.

This debate has occured DOZENS of times here on the topic of eggs alone, with very similar arguments (do the same for water, coffee, and artificial sweeteners) and you'll find the same thing. And it's likely to be brought up dozens more times in the future.

kaplods
04-11-2010, 03:53 AM
Oh and a completely unrelated point. I think the articles are somewhat misleading about the Omega-3 levels in eggs, because they don't stress enough that this is only if the eggs are Omega-3 enhanced or free-range, pasture-fed chicken. Even free-range eggs will be a poor source of omega-3 fats if the chickens have been grain fed.

marigrace
04-11-2010, 08:43 AM
That's right, the best eggs you can get are (true) grass fed, AND not commercially produced. However, in northern climates we have snow cover during many months, so even under the best circumstances,the chickens are given grain.