Alternachicks - FAT vs. THIN

View Full Version : FAT vs. THIN

Sojourner
09-09-2002, 03:00 AM
Ok, I am starting a thread that will be solely dedicated to ranting and whining about why it sucks to be fat and all the reasons why it would be great to be thin.

I'll begin.

First, let me say that it really sucks to be fat because I cannot find any :censored: clothes that fit me properly. Not only am I fat, but I am also short. This puts me in the land of the chubby and stubby who are apparently supposed to run around naked or wear moomoos of some sort. I would love to be thin because I could wear whatever outfit I wanted and look fabulous.

Next, I think it sucks to fat because I am always self-concious about my body. I DREAD running into people that I haven't seen in awhile because I am sure they are thinking "boy, she has packed on the pounds... what a pig" :ink: It would be great to be thin so they would be looking at me and thinking how HOT I looked. :flame:

I have hundreds more but I am going to pace my whining. Anyone else care to join in this pity party?

ginya
09-09-2002, 08:57 AM
oooh..oooh..me next, me next!!!

how about fitting comfortably in airplane seats???
and the dreaded panti-hose conspiracy.
and buying clothes without the necklaces attached (a personal pet peeve!)
and pulling knee socks all the way up...
or having to 'scout the store' to see if they have your size...
or the look on the cashiers face when you check out at the grocery store... (&^*% them!)
or the fact that you only go to the dentist because it is the only Dr. who will not weigh you

ok...I feel better, not finished, but better

Lamorgan
09-09-2002, 09:31 AM
One time I saw my reflection in a window and I saw my mother's shape. Scared me good.

Sojourner
09-09-2002, 12:21 PM
You know what really sucks about being fat... the weight loss process. I mean, it takes FOREVER to lose weight, you must deprive yourself of the food you love, you have to force your body to exercise, you walk around starving, and then it seems inevitably you gain the weight back and then some. Plus you get to hear the double-edged compliments like "have you lost weight... you look great" (secret meaning... you looked like crap before). Or you get to hear comments from fat relatives or friends like "I lost weight on that diet and gained it all back" or "being fat is in your genes" or "yo-yo dieting is really unhealthy for you". It would be great to be thin just so I would never have to try and lose weight again!

:dance:

SuchAPrettyFace
09-09-2002, 01:19 PM
What I like is when you've told relatives that you're trying to watch it, and yet they offer you cookies, cakes, etc. Yes, I can say no, and often do, but that's not the point. How about saying yes once in awhile when I call you to go for a walk w/me instead?

What really frosts my cupcakes is my health insurance company won't cover my gym membership. They will cover numerous doctor visits & medications to treat the lovely things that can come w/being overweight: high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. But if I want to work out & prevent these things from happening, I'm on my own. Same thing w/them not covering birth control pills. You won't cover $30/month for my pills, but you WILL cover a $10,000 hospital birth!?!?!?!

K, I feel better.

Hey Sojo, where are you in WI? I'm in the suburbs of Mke.

squeaker
09-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Well, my second least favorite thing is I can't buy leather boots that go past my ankle because they aren't made for fat legs. My ultamite goal is a pair of thigh high leather boots.

My least favorite thing is squeezing my butt into a pair of my jeans that just barely fit. Then later after a night out at a bar, going home changing into a pair of shorts & a tshirt for bed, cuddling and getting asked what those marks on your legs are from while his hand is on your leg. My answer - "I told you I need to fit into my clothes again". His answer - a very sad sounding "Oh". He felt sorry he asked and made me unhappy. Those stupid marks are something I have always HATED but could pretend they weren't there because no one else saw them. But the good thing was it was a kick in the *** I needed to really do something about it. I can't ignore them forever.

PrettyFace - I can't believe they don't cover the Pill. Mine does and I am so glad.

Sojourner
09-10-2002, 12:22 AM
the leather boots!!! Its probably a good thing they don't fit as I already have way too many shoes.

How about this... when you are fat, men and people in general tend to look right through you as if you don't exist. And when you are thin, well, then you get attention and respect. That is just plain wrong.

Or how about trying on clothes at the store and looking in the dreaded....

THREE-WAY MIRROR!!
:yikes: :faint:

When I am finally thin you can guarantee that I will actually purchase a three way mirror for my bedroom and prance around in front of it naked on a regular basis. :D Heck, I may even prance around in front of it in the store... maybe with some clothes on. :s:

ginya
09-10-2002, 10:22 AM
I would be happy just being able to prance and not hear a slapping sound...

Lamorgan
09-10-2002, 01:20 PM
Ugh. Off topic, but similar.

I have this friend, (who I don't see much of anymore) who always compliments me when I'm heavy, and ignores how I look when I'm smaller. When I smoked, she would stick religiosly to 3 smokes per day, mentally counting how many I smoked and when I quit smoking she proceeded to smoke at least 7 or 8 per visit. She would say; oh, it's too bad you're addicted to cigarettes, I only need 1 or 2 a day.

She's my crazy-maker for sure.

She can go take a hike with those people who offer sweets and yummies as soon as they find out you're watching what you're eating.

dentrassi
09-10-2002, 01:34 PM
YES!!! The people who say, "We should go on a diet" (looking you up and down), and then when you do and they DON'T, they bring you treats and say, "A little won't hurt!!"

Sojourner
09-10-2002, 09:27 PM
I know of the notorious diat saboteurs.:devil: That sucks... my overweight mom is one of the worst.

How about this... skinny friends who complain about how fat they are to their very fat friends. This just burns me up! :hot: I mean, how can someone who weighs say 115 pounds sit there and complain about their "disgusting" huge rear and fat thighs to someone who weighs almost 200 pounds!??! It is so obnoxious. Granted, I know that self loathing is relative and most people think they are fat even when they aren't... but it is so rude to say bad things about your own weight to someone bigger than you. It is completely a different thing to empathize with each other. I actually had a good friend who is maybe 30 pounds overweight announce that "she didn't deserve to live" because of how fat and gross she was. She said this to a table of women all much larger than her. Yes.. I know... she is PSYCHO :hypno2:, but how insulting is that?? When I am thin I will be supportive and hopefully inspirational to others trying to lose weight. :goodvibes

mauvaisroux
09-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Ahhh, yes, the diet saboteurs:rolleyes:

I have a friend that I can't discuss anything diet, food or health related with because everytime I do she makes a negative comment about my dieting.

I have also told my mom on several occasions that I am trying not to eat white flour products and white rice and everytime I go to my parents place for dinner she serves white rice and puts a basket of white rolls or bread on the table :p

The last time one of my stick chick friends complained about being fat I said "You know your are right, that big toe of yours is getting kind of pudgy looking. Probably because it is the only ounce of fat on your body! Now shut up and drink your beer!" followed by much laughter from all of us. Sheesh! :lol:

Sojourner
09-11-2002, 02:37 AM
I just thought of a really terrible aspect of being fat...

THIGHS RUBBING TOGETHER! :dz:

(and I'm not talking about the fun kind of rubbing thighs during sex...)

I long for the day when my thighs will have proper clearance.

ellis
09-11-2002, 06:12 AM
How about this! Yesterday I was going through some photos with a friend. There was one of me when I was 19. She said, "Oh! You were really pretty!"
snarl

Or this. Went to my best friend's on the weekend for a BBQ. She used to give me all of her cast-off clothes (REALLY expensive and barely worn. She's thin, and they USED to fit me!). THIS TIME, she said to my 13 year old daughter, "Come on... we'll go through my closet and I'll give you some of my clothes."
curses

Or wearing socks and not realizing until you take them off that they've been slowly cutting off your circulation all day, and when you take them off there is a MAJOR red indent around each puffy ankle. It's itchy and it hurts.

Wanttolosealot
09-11-2002, 07:55 AM
Sojourner, I hear ya on the thigh thing. I long for the day when I no longer have to powder my thighs just to be comfortable. To be able to see light coming through the otherside will be so wonderful. I also have family who know I am trying to be very concious about what I eat, but yet they still pass me the tray with all the yummy sweets and say, ah come on a little wont hurt!
Really how do they think I got this way! Oh well, soon there will be a thinner me!
Virginia

Wildfire
09-11-2002, 10:02 PM
ellis, "snarl"....LMAO

How about clothes that aren't wider than they are tall? Geez, hand me a pole, I'm pitching a tent! Clothes can be cut for fuller figures and still resemble clothes, for cryin' out loud!

Oh, and why do the pretty bras stop at cup size C, with the odd D thrown in just to tease? Why do I have to pay double just because I'm a 36DD? Grrrrr.

Sojourner
09-11-2002, 11:33 PM
the sexy bras stopping at a size C!! I mean... the one thing larger women usually have are large breasts... we have ONE body part going for us. It just kills me that Victoria's Secret, with their huge breasted models:hypno: :hypno:, only made a few bras above C. I think recently they have changed that... but give me a break!

Or how about clothing sizing in general. Men can buy pants according to waist and inseam length or neck and arm length. Women are stuck with this random, arbitrary sizing. In the "junior" section the 13/14 size skirt looks like it would fit one of my thighs... in the "misses" section the 14 might fit but is too long (like dragging on the floor long)... in the "womens section a 14W will be loose and long, in the "petite" section the 14P will be too tight but the right length. And then shops like Lane Bryant have their own sizing which is completely random and depends on the article of clothing. :shrug: What is a flabby fashionista to do?

I MUST lose weight just so I can shop in sizes lower than 14... I've been trapped in never-never land for way too long. I am determined!

:goodvibes:

Sojourner
09-16-2002, 12:17 AM
It really sucks to be fat because it is almost impossible to cross my legs comfortably. In order to do so, I must wedge my crossed leg under some sort of support to keep it in place. Without this vital support system, the fat from my... ughhh... voluptuous thighs forces my leg to slide off of the other. :dz: No Sharon Stone sexy leg crossing moves for me!

dentrassi
09-16-2002, 12:31 AM
HEY!!! I COULD DO THE SEXY LEGS MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT MY LEGS WOULD GET CAUGHT UP ON MY BULBOUS STOMACH ON THE WAY BY!!!

KittyMilk
09-18-2002, 02:23 AM
I curse the rolls of fat on my tummy, the fact I cant cross my legs, not wearing skirts because my thighs rub together, seeing a double chin in the mirror and knowing how ugly this makes me.. I even curse my huge breasts, it's all so uncormfortable to be fat! :( As a formily slim person I'm determined to do and do it quickly! I want to be able to wear singlets in summer and not be worrying about how big my arms are, to be able to wear a bathing suit I only dream about now, my old one doesnt fit and I wont buy a bigger size that i;d be too shy to wear...for these and all the reasons mentioned already I am losing weight. One day at a time we can do it!

ginya
09-18-2002, 05:53 PM
oooohhhhh! I just got back from Marrshall-Fields where the "big girl' clothes were seperated from the others on a different floor all together. The Jr.s/petites/etc...all had these wonderful pin striped suites (what I was looking for) and other business suits, on the second floor, where I belong, were my size...all the polyester, stretchy pants, floral prints and sequins you could use. Not one business suit, not one suit at all, unless you count those oversized tshirts and matching pants 'suits'. Aparently if you are plus sized, not only do you not work, you must have some wierd aversion to natural fabric! And whats with the goofy gardening motifs and other assorted "cute" embellishments to the clothes! If I see one more attached necklace I am gonna loose it! And is there some kind of law that insists on designers
giving us jackets with 3/4 length sleeves...
thanks, I feel better now...

christinagw@aol.com
09-23-2002, 07:53 PM
Ok You guys are cracking me up!!!!:lol:

I can relate to everyone of these posts! The best being I hate Green Beans, when I am not dieting the evil MIL makes Green beans with every meal, when I am dieting it is yummy desserts!

I have one more to add! Why do they say buy pants without pleats to look thinner & then nothing over a 14 is made without elastic & pleats?

Sojourner
09-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Don't forget ruffles, horizontal stripes, giant pants pockets which accent the thighs and hips, large shiny gold buttons, shoulder pads for that linebacker look, and sleeveless shirts to emphasize the dreaded arm chub.

What are these designers thinking? :dz:

I do a lot of shopping at Lane Bryant. At least there they have a lot of up to date fashions... but still not nearly enough.

rochemist
09-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Shopping for bra's! The pretty one in the largest size they have is a 38DD, when a 42DD is comfy. :mad:

Bathing suits are ugly, if you even to the pool in one because you just know people are thinking about how much water you are displacing :s:

Why if you are overweight do they think you want to wear a big flower pattern or worse go to a place like Torrid and though I like most thier stuff, they often offer to dress me like when I was 10! Lets see Strawberry Shortcake or Winnie the Pooh!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: If your fat and wearing this stuff cause u think it make u look cute ur wrong IT"S RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

The other thing is my husband trying to be "sweet" to me. HE KNOWS I AM DIETING. He KNOWs I lost 5 lbs. so HE WILL BUY ME A BOX OF CHOCOLATES!!!!!!!:dizzy:

My all time favorite was, about 4 years ago I lost 100 lbs, and my mom says,"Well it's about time you lost it, we were realy concerned about your health and it made you really ugly" Aren't moms suppose to love u all the time FYI: My mom is fat, the only time she lost weight she was on FEN FEN and now she is colour blind from it!!!!!!!:devil:

Ms. Chris:queen:

Wanttolosealot
09-30-2002, 08:10 PM
I've got on,
how about those lawn chairs, you know the kind I mean. When you stand up , so does the chair!@#*!
My mom now owns my grandmothers very old rocking chair which I loved sitting in as a child, but they were not made for big bottomed women then either. Cant wait until I can once again curl up in grandmas chair and read my moms poems.
Virginia

rochemist
10-01-2002, 05:48 AM
I hate that I have to sit down to shave my legs, and my bikini area I can't see it, IT AINT bothering me:devil:

Underneath the belly roll that sweats and smells bad. I WANT THAT GONE!

I hate my chubby cheeks! It makes me look like a bloated 2 year old.

I hate that my dress size could go to college (IT"S 22!):D

Ms. Chris :spin:

fushia
10-21-2002, 02:37 PM
How about lying down and not being able to be completely covered with water in the bath tub! I love to soak my aches away in a hot tub but when I lie on my back, my belly is never completly emursed!!! And what about bras!!! What the heck is that about? Just because you need a 40 dosen't automatically mean you are a DD!!

morningglory
10-21-2002, 03:12 PM
What I hate is being self-conscious around Don. I hate not feeling comfortable during sex or hugging or anything where we get close, because I worry that my fat will turn him off. I hate that I won't let him pick me up. I hate that his is much thinner than me. I hate that I am the role modal for my children. I really hate that thin person thing where they complain about their fat and they wear a size 3. Get real. I mean, really really really get real! I want to scream. I hate the clothes thing. I don't even bother, to be honest. I hate that I don't bother. But, I am going to be thin, and I am going to buy me a trashy, sexy, outfit, and thigh high leather boots, and I will look good!!
morningglory

rochemist
10-21-2002, 03:27 PM
Buy THE BOOTS NOW MG! I have some! I have a corset! I wear them out in public (YOU EVER NOTICE THAT IF YOU HAVE BIG BOOBS MOST GUYS DON'T CARE THAT YOUR PCKING AN EXTRA *) lbs.)

More things that suck about being fat:

1. Those dumb booth tables that are too close together at restraunts! I shouldn't have to suck it in to sit down!

2. Sports Bras. YEAH I AM A DD SO GIVE ME A SHELF TO STICK THEM ON. CLUE-Lycra comes with roll of duct tape!

3. Cottage cheese thighs

4. Stretch marks

5. Muscle that no one can see!

Argh!:mad:
Ms. Chris:devil:

mauvaisroux
10-21-2002, 11:20 PM
I hate going into a store where all the sales girls (and I mean girls 'cause they look about 12 years old) are 5 foot nothing and weigh 98 lbs soaking wet are trying to snow you into buying by saying you look great in some hideous outfit that you know makes you look terrible. I always feel like some Amazonian freak standing next to them :mad: and they look at you as if to say" what are you doing here lady-nothing in here will fit you ":snooty:

Morning Glory- buy the boots now! Boots are sexy, expecially black patent leather lace ups;)

Rochemist: I have a couple of corsets too. I have one leftover from the 80's that has metal stars all over the boob parts- I used to call it my Wonder Woman top:lol: I have lost enough that it actually fits again!

cheez
10-22-2002, 02:10 AM
Ok, my turn. In addition to everything you've all said already, I'm sick of turning on my tv and seeing freakishly thin women everywhere. Oh, and the funny fat guy is never married to a funny fat woman, NO he's married to an 80 pounder who's like a brain surgeon or something.

Oh, and having people ask you when you're "due"! I hate that.

morningglory
10-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Yea, cheez that is so true. How do these freaky guys get the absolutely gorgous women? It doesn't matter if the are overweight, dorky, ugly, stupid they always get the thin women.

morningglory

sabrina
12-02-2002, 12:43 AM
Ooooooo, great thread!

Well, what sucks most about being fat is looking at old pictures of yourself when you were considerably thinner, but thought you were absolutely HUGE.

I obsessed about my weight all through my teens and early twenties. I was always on the dance team and was always the "fattest" girl, so this probably had something to do with it.
Imagine having all of your teammates at least 10 pounds lighter than you, or taller than you and having to stare at your collective reflection in the mirror all the time ... grrrrr! I was like the "J Lo" on a team full of Kate Moss's!

ANYWAY, looking back at some photos from that period in my life, I realize now that I HAD NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF! I was NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING FAT!

What a silly girl I was.

S.

Sojourner
12-02-2002, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I remember being curvier than the other prepubescent stick girls in junior high and thinking there was something wrong with me. I weighed 113 pounds and had real breasts and hips and a curvy butt. The other girls all looked like boys with little breasts.

When I weighed 118 in high school I thought I was fat and hated my body and I tried to starve myself. When I weighed 130 in college I thought I was really fat and hated my body and experimented with bulimia. When I weighed 145 when I was first married I thought I was extremely fat and hated my body and tried weight loss drugs. Later I continued to gain weight up to 198 and thought I was unbelievably fat and really, really hated my body. There seems to be a pattern here. Even when I lose weight I still think I look horrible. This just isn't right.

:(

dentrassi
12-02-2002, 11:36 PM
We've ALL been there!!! Wish I had appreciated what I had when I had it!!!
Actually, in that vein, I am trying to appreciate myself NOW and work towards being the best me I can be. I hated myself for too many years. TIME TO FEEL GOOD!!!!

VelvetCyberpunk
12-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Ok, I'll go next.

I want to go into a store and actually have a selection of clothes I would wear in public. No polyester, or acrylics (what the **** is that about?)

I want to be able to meet new people without wondering are they thinking I have a huge ***?

I want to be able to strut across a room, and not feel my but jiggling so hard it measures on the richter scale.

Yeah that space between the thighs thing sounds really groovy.

I want to be able to dance, and not feel like I'm wearing a 100lbs anvil on my neck!

I want to be able to run like I used to with no pain, and be able to breathe afterwards.

I want to look sexy in lingerie.

I want to see what I'll look like thin.

rochemist
12-03-2002, 04:01 PM
I agree with the idea that I never realized I use to not be fat until I got fat. But you know what my mom and dad contributed to that, I looked huge compare to my 5'2 and 5'5 little sisters, with petite bone structures. So there is another thing that sucks about being fat, other people judging you.:(

Other things that suck:
Getting the girl at Old Navy/GAP/whatever to take you seriously even though you are Christmas shopping.

That the Godiva manager waves to me when I walk in the mall.(EWW I probably did that one to myself :lol: )

That you have a 50/50 chance on any boots that go over your calf fitting. I have freakishly small legs, but I have heard other women complain. I wonder about Starr Jones and her payless commercial, could she wear their knee high boots?:devil:

Being fat sucks cause people associate it with being jolly or comic relief. I think we all laugh more cause we are smarter and know the absurdity of the cocktail dress;)

Miss Chris

Lidian
12-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone - I just posted on the Meet and Greet thread, and I couldn't resist joining in here.

I have a friend who is a size 4 who complains about feeling bloated when she puts on 3 lbs (I am not sure where she puts them on, I didn't notice anything!) and about how she is a 6 at the Gap (like I should have such a terrible problem, I think at my thinnest I was maybe an 8, for about a minute) - and this just makes me feel even more blobby and out of shape. I mean, if she thinks she is bloated what in the world does she think I look like? But then she compares herself to her other friend who is a size 2.

A relative of mine showed me a photo of myself and said, about a year ago (in sad tones) "Oh, someday you'll look like this again!" (i.e., thin). The only problem was it was a photo of me in my 3rd trimester (I am kneeling, and you can't really see my stomach under the navy top - but still!!!)!! That was not the best moment I've ever had! What am I supposed to say, gee, thanks? or, oh OK, I'll try to look as thin as I did when I was 7 months pregnant!

The same relative showed me, another time, photos of me at age 15 (at about 120 lbs) and said the same thing. I don't think THAT is going to happen again either! Maybe 140 if I am very determined but...not 120.

I would like to tuck in my shirt and have my pants still feel loose, and flat down the front. I would like to not need elastic in the waist of pants too. I would like to see my jawline again! I think there may be an oval face in here somewhere, and collarbones!

I would like to not panic when someone takes out a camera or video camera.

Lidian

barefootgrrrl
12-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks for posting all of these stories......they make me feel so not alone.

I remember an interesting, but sad, chapter in my life.

When I was in my mid twenties, I applied for a flight attendant job.

Their weight cut -off for five feet five inches was 137 lbs.

At that time, I fluctuated between 134 and 145 (and thought I was HUGE!)

I starved myself for days to make sure I could get under 137. The day I weighed in to start the job I weighed 138 and a half :(

They cut me right then. I immediately went home and dove into a large bowl of popcorn and laid around eating for days.

Ugh!

Terri

ellis
12-03-2002, 05:47 PM
Terri, that's ridiculous! You know, some of those flight attendants are pretty darned *itchy. They're probably hungry.

Hi Lidian! Welcome! :wave:

I used to be to able to walk into a clothing store, see something I'd like, pick it out in my size, and take it home without bothering to try it on. It always fit (and I HATE trying clothes on).
That's what I want again.

Oh, what I also want... I've got a walk-in closet full of great clothes. Tons of classics plus some cool stuff. I hate it when people say to me, "You should throw that stuff out if it doesn't fit you!" Well, it's GOING to fit me!! Am I going to throw out thousands of dollars worth of great clothes because they're too tight?! uh uh... I can't WAIT to get into them. It'll be like a shopping trip!

And I'd like to see some hollow under my cheekbones.

I want to meet my DH's co-workers and not feel embarrassed.

dentrassi
12-04-2002, 12:01 AM
I agree Ellis!!! Meeting DH's co-workers is a drag. I have to go to a Holiday party, and DH keeps on telling me about new people who want to meet me. I keep on thinking they are going to be looking at me thinking, "WHAT does he see in HER!" I've always thought that I should say, "I'm double jointed."

sabrina
12-04-2002, 12:45 AM
Hey Lidian,

I found myself nodding my head as I read your post:

>>>I have a friend who is a size 4 who complains about feeling bloated when she puts on 3 lbs (I am not sure where she puts them on, I didn't notice anything!) and about how she is a 6 at the Gap (like I should have such a terrible problem, I think at my thinnest I was maybe an 8, for about a minute) - and this just makes me feel even more blobby and out of shape. I mean, if she thinks she is bloated what in the world does she think I look like? But then she compares herself to her other friend who is a size 2."

I have this SAME ISSUE with a friend of mine. She is an adorable petite girl and compains if her size 2's start to feel tight. She works at Nike World Headquarters, and is always comparing herself to all of the "perfect women" in the locker room. I keep
telling her that she is one of them, but she beats herself up for
not running faster, longer, etc. to stay in "better shape".

I too wonder what a person who is "huge" at size 4 thinks of
my size 10/12 ***? I must be a freakin' elephant!

Hmmmm ...

S.

ellis
12-04-2002, 03:11 AM
Den, NOBODY would think that about you! You are so cute and you have such a beautiful, magnetic personality. But yes... it's a drag. I would DEFINITELY tell them you're double-jointed.
I get some weird looks when I tell them that I don't shake hands...
You know, the thin ones aren't that interesting. (of course, we won't say that when WE'RE thin!)

Wanttolosealot
12-04-2002, 08:18 AM
I know this sounds really weird, but I can't wait until I can see "IT" again! You know, down there! It has been a long while and I forget what it looks like.
Virginia

ellis
12-04-2002, 08:32 AM
Virginia, get one of those 5 foot long mirrors, lay it on the floor...
:D

barefootgrrrl
12-04-2002, 09:54 AM
oh I love you all so much.......you all give me so many great laughs every day......your friendship and mirth is priceless to me!

thank you, thank you for lifting my days! ok...... enough getting mushy for me this morning

Yes Lidian, welcome - nice to meet you :)

I echo all your comments, the cameras, the co-workers, all of it.

My ex-BF's mother is a wonderful woman and she is over 60 now and beautiful and probably weighs no more than 130 on her highest weight day and never gained a pound until after menopause - she was thin her whole life... I saw her a few years ago and she was complaining that she had gone from a size 2 to a size 4 - now I know it's all relative......but what I would give for that problem

Terri

Lidian
12-04-2002, 01:18 PM
Ellis, I have all those clothes too and you know what - we ARE going to wear them again! In fact, I really wish I had saved my jeans from when I was 127 lbs (size 8 I think?) but they seemed so tiny to me that they are long gone. Maybe I will meet up with them again in a thrift store (cuz that is where they ended up) and in a burst of kismet, I will buy them back. Some book or magazine was going on about getting rid of all the smaller stuff but I do think it's good to have it. They sort of give me hope if I think positively!

My MIL (whom I love dearly) has always been quite thin, and the last time we saw them the photos were very depressing, her looking fine, all others fine and me looking like someone had flipped a little valve on the side of me and started filling me with air (would that one could deflate as easily!). I had hoped no one would notice but I guess they must have.

Does anyone else find that when they look in the mirror it doesn't look so bad, and then in a photo you look really big? I have the same reaction the other way too. Like I think I am bigger when I have lost weight. I am looking, really! I just don't seem to be able to SEE myself accurately.

I am getting rid of some of my very big clothes. I gave some big T shirts to DH who is 134 lbs and 5'9" and never says no to a nice piece of baklava!

Viriginia, I laughed when I read your post cuz I think that too! I used to be able to look straight down and not see my stomach sticking out - I could see the front of down there if you know what I mean. And I keep looking forward to that again! LOL

Have a great day and hi to everyone! Thanks for the welcome - this is a great group.

Lidian

ellis
12-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Terrigrrrrl, we love you, too!! :)

Lidian, don't worry... I used to weigh 128 (was running regularly, had a cute, fit, boyish figure and thought I was FAT!!), and I've still got about a dozen pair of jeans. Let me know when you get down and we'll share. ;)

Oh yeah.... the mirror thing. :yes: I can look GREAT when I'm standing ramrod straight before a mirror with everything in place and adjusted. I don't realize that as soon as I start moving, things start riding up over my big butt, my shoulders slump a little making me look matronly, and my head drops, revealing that I have, not one chin, but three!!

I see it in photos and when I'm walking by a store window. Scares the **** out of me. :mad:

VelvetCyberpunk
12-05-2002, 07:22 PM
I started getting heavy when I was a pre-pubecent, so I don't really know how small I can be, or what weight I can get down to. I am small framed, and only 5'5" tall so who knows? I do know that my mom who has a large frame measured 35-26-26 when she was at her best weight, and everyone says that your family is the best guage, so we'll see.

Lidian
12-05-2002, 10:02 PM
Oh well, Velvet, the family - the genes...on my father's side all the women are really short, very very heavy and have a very low centre of gravity. So there's all that making things terrific. My mom was tall and thin most of her life, then put on weight around the middle - but no one ever noticed because of her height and also from the waist up she was a skinny gorgeous creature.

I inherited my body type, of course, from my father! ;)

That was the first smilie I have ever used! Cuz what else can I do but smile about them big bones and short stature of mine?

My DH inherited thinness, of course, on both sides of his family. Lucky old thing. Of course as a man he can eat an entire baked Alaska washed down with a bucket of fried dough and not gain an ounce. So far my two girls are OK, and don't have the food issues I have had since I was a little kid (food being a big stressful issue all through my childhood, for both parents and for me - I'm an only, by the way).

Now I have smilied at last and by gum I am going to again!

:)

Lidian

dentrassi
12-05-2002, 10:09 PM
Hi Lidian!! Me too with the short and heavy!! AND the thin husband. One good thing about the low center of gravity....When you do a hip swing at those tall thin people they go over like a bowling pin!!!