Weight Loss Support - what are you looking ahead to?

View Full Version : what are you looking ahead to?

blueridgegirl
04-09-2010, 02:21 PM
So beyond our mini-goals of pounds and inches and (for the competitively inclined) races, what are the events that you are looking ahead to in the next year? Holidays or events or special gatherings that are coming up that motivate you to stay on track? For me...

...going to Boston in June and July - it's so close, and I really want to be well into onederland and able to wear cute summery clothes and feel confident while I'm there, as well as being fit enough to take advantage of dance and capoeira and other classes in the city.

...friend's wedding on July 31. Cute sleeveless summer dress, here I come!

...running a four mile race over Labor Day weekend.

...family wedding on Sept 17. Seeing family that I haven't seen since I've started losing weight, and, yes, time for another cute dress. :)

...traveling with family to Peru in October. Having the energy and stamina (especially in high altitude) and fitness level to really enjoy the trip and feel good about being photographed all the time.

...preparing for longer races in Spring 2011 - 10ks, 10 milers, maybe (MAYBE) even a half marathon!

Thinking about this definitely gets my butt to the gym to lift, or the willpower to not snack after dinner or pass on the cookies someone brought to a staff meeting. What milestones do you foresee that keep you motivated and on track?

juliastl27
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
my 29th bday is coming right up. we're having a big party and i cant wait to put on a cute skirt, (maybe even a mini!) and see all my friends!

angelskeep
04-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm looking forward to being able to do more physical activity with less pain. Also, going to CO to visit childrens and grand childrens for Christmas and it would be wonderful to run and play with the grands.

Barb

SCraver
04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
My sister, who is the same height as I (or is it me?) is about at my goal weight. She looks great (but she wants to lose a few more). Anywho - she is getting married in October. I am the Matron of Honor... and I DO NOT WANT TO BE THE FAT GIRL in all her pictures!!!

And I know that this is going to be one rip roaring of a good time at the reception. My sister is marrying a great friend of mine from college. So, everyone I have ever been friends with will be there. I CAN'T BE standing at the alter LOOKING OBESE! Stuffed into a gown! With back fat! ~GASP!~

So, that has been a HUGE motivator for me to really get serious.

I am also looking forward to wearing cute clothes this summer!

lizzybeth81
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
My ten year high school reunion is this summer. I would love to show up SMALLER than I was in high school. And, I 'm standing up in my best friend's extravagant wedding. I want to feel good, and not like the fat bridesmaid :)

These are two big things that are keeping me going.

mkendrick
04-09-2010, 02:47 PM
My wonderful boyfriend is currently in Iraq. He's been gone for 6 months, and the last time he saw me, I was at my highest weight. He comes home in July for leave, and I can't wait for him to see the new me! I'm sure I'll be at goal by then and I'll keep toning up so I'll be feeling my best! I know he loves me no matter what size I am, but it'll be exciting to show him all my hard work.

I'm also looking forward to maintaining. I have mostly enjoyed the weight loss journey, but it'll be nice to not be waiting on the scale to go down. I'm not planning on changing my plan much at all, maybe adding 100cal to my calorie limit until I find my maintenance, but I just want to reach that number and get on with life.

CharlieBaby
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM
The summer... lots of beach days, cottage parties, and a couple of weddings. And just summer clothing in general makes me excited to be slim and healthy. I keep going on polyvore.com and playing around with outfits. It's distracting and motivating :)

Eliana
04-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Megan, does your boyfriend know you're doing this? :) I've always meant to ask.

I'm not doing this FOR any event, but the fact that I am doing this and there will be a family wedding in March makes me very happy. :D The wedding came up after I started this journey. It's far away and with family I never see and they're all kind of perfect people. :dizzy: I've always felt inferior.

I also think at times about my next reunion four years off and how maybe this time I'll actually want to go!

AND my dad, who lives a two days drive away, will be visiting in October and I have not told him I've lost weight. I can't wait to see his face.

xocessy
04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I have a cruise lined up for mid-October. I'm really looking forward to being 30# less and buying new clothes for the cruise.

I also look forward to exercising more! I've come to really enjoy it but I just wish I could do it longer. I have a mini-goal of being able to run for 10 minutes straight. (Right now I can barely finish 1 minute.)

Overall I look forward to feeling a lot better about myself. Buying a whole new wardrobe to go with the whole new me...

abreezies
04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Family vacation in June......I would like to lose at least 15 lbs by then!

VernDern
04-09-2010, 04:10 PM
I am going to visit my sister & family at the end of May and REALLY want to be to onderland by then!
I cant wait for the summer and cute summer dresses, bathing suits, trips to the beach/pool, and just just for once looking forward to summer. Ive become a fan of winter as Ive gotten older and more obese simply because I can hide in winter clothes. Im looking forward to soaking in the summer sun this year!

My ultimate goal will be reached by my birthday in October with time to spare! I cant wait! Im going to celebrate my birthday this year for the first time in a very long time!

Dippy Chip
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm not exactly doing it 'for' any event in particular, but I'm looking forward to being a tad skinnier when we go to Rome in November. We've been 10 times now, and every time I've been hot and uncomfortable and sweaty and sore-footed, so if I can feel more comfortable in my skin that would be a bonus.

But, ultimately, I'm doing it more for the day to day joys of simple things such as being able to move around more easily, sleeping without snoring, wearing skirts in summer, having more energy, having a better quality of life etc. etc. etc....

mkendrick
04-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Eliana, he kind of knows :devil: As in, he knows that I'm "getting healthier," but he does not know that he'll see his girlfriend minus 40+lbs when he gets home, haha. Partly because I want to surprise him, and also, I don't want him to know my starting weight/how much I lost, etc. Just my own complex about numbers, lol. So I tell him that I've been eating healthier and working out, and every once in awhile, I'll mention that I lost a pound or something. It'll be exciting to see his reaction :)

calluna
04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
hm... I didn't start this for any particular event either...still...

- I'm seriously looking forward to this summer's hiking and biking

- we have a winter vacation planned for Jan 2011 in a warm place (yay!). It will be fabulous to be lighter and wearing nicer clothes for that vacation. I should have reached the healthy weight zone by then.

- I have some family coming in to visit this summer, and it will be fun to see their faces when they see an altered me.

cmk79
04-09-2010, 05:25 PM
My brother is getting married next year, so my goal is to lose weight by then.

JoLeNe
04-09-2010, 05:35 PM
My wonderful boyfriend is currently in Iraq. He's been gone for 6 months, and the last time he saw me, I was at my highest weight. He comes home in July for leave, and I can't wait for him to see the new me! I'm sure I'll be at goal by then and I'll keep toning up so I'll be feeling my best! I know he loves me no matter what size I am, but it'll be exciting to show him all my hard work.

I'm also looking forward to maintaining. I have mostly enjoyed the weight loss journey, but it'll be nice to not be waiting on the scale to go down. I'm not planning on changing my plan much at all, maybe adding 100cal to my calorie limit until I find my maintenance, but I just want to reach that number and get on with life.

Good Luck!! Im sure he will enjoy the new you. Ive been to Iraq 2 times already and coming home has got to be the best especially if you got someone waiting for you. I came home alone my spouse is military as well and was still there when I came home. We had 22 months apart. A lot of guys go to the gym when they are there a lot so dont be suprised if your man comes back looking nice for you too, but you both need to remember to maintain it once he gets home so you dont end up like me and gain 40 lbs the first 3 months back. Its hard cause you dont get a lot of food choices there and when you come home you want it all. Chances are he will want to eat out a lot when he comes home at first.

JoLeNe
04-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I need to lose the weight not just to be healthier but also to keep my job.

In the army they have weight limits for your height and age mine is 143. I wanna be under that so i wont have to get "taped" they measure you in three spots (neck, waist, and hips) then use a math problem to tell you just how fat you really are. It feels degrating to me, however i did meet one of my goals today. To pass this "tape test" which means that i am no longer "flagged" (no favorable actions= no college, passes, no good incentives, and if you stay on it long enough they kick you out of the army)
And maybe the fat jokes will stop now but my real goal is 136. i think i look my best there and will be far enough away from 143 to allow fluxuations to still pass weight. I also need now to work on my run time so this means discussing adding carbs back into my diet (SLOWLY) as taking them out has killed my run speed ( I run like a snail now)(low carb sucks) I know if I get my speed back up and keep exercising on my own my weight will go down like it did before.

Anne Elk
04-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Going down the shore in July and really don't want to look like beached whale. Ugh.

Also, am looking forward to wearing a pair of jeans but not being aware that I am . . . not being aware of the muffin top . . . not be aware that they are squeezing me in . . . not be aware of any of it.

Hopeful8
04-09-2010, 05:54 PM
We're driving to San Francisco in the fall for 2 49ers games. I want to be able to do all of the outdoorsy stuff in Cali and take some amazing pictures and not upset w/the way that I look. Between 4 tours in Iraq and my husband going through 2 rounds of Cancer, we need a solid vacation.

sammiefields2512
04-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm looking ahead to the summer when I can simply wear a T-shirt or walk around topless on the beach without having to worry about laughed at for being fat or having man boobs

love114
04-10-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm looking forward to wearing cute summer clothes and not being totally uncomfortable when I go out!! Also, I'm graduating university next year and I want to look fabulous! And be in good shape to travel and be able to wear nicer clothes :)

springlover
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I am doing this so by my birthday in November I won't delete every picture because of how embarrassed I look!

and wearing cute clothes this summer!

Viviane
04-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm really looking forward to how confident I feel when I start looking good. For me that happens somewhere around 175, so I have a ways to go. That, and, just enjoying life and not being completely exhausted after a 15 minute walk.

Oh! And wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts in the summer instead of roasting!

starchild
04-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Looking forward to wearing shorts this summer and just feeling better about myself! I have been weight training since January and losing a lot of inches, so I know that I will be looking better in my clothes. YES!

brittleleaf
04-11-2010, 01:50 AM
going to Disney world and actually riding on the rides!!! (in November). I should be in stabilization by end of September.

ValRock
04-11-2010, 02:43 AM
My husband is a sailor and I don't want to be the fattest wife standing (among all the tiny little Japanese wives to make matters worse) on the dock when he comes home! He'll be home on port call a few times this summer but I have until Mid-December to get super-jaw-dropping-hot!!!! I will do it ;).

Jilu
04-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm in the South again until probably August 2011 (or maybe August 2012 if I get a year assignment I'm really crossing my fingers for). Then it's going to be permanent Alaska time.

I really want to be at my best shape to fully appreciate all the activities I can do. I mean, I'm ready for the weeklong pack your gear in and out trips.

Actually, the real big goal is to be able to get my butt into the tiny kayaks again. I have to use larger ones now and while no one cares, it bothers me to have the biggest kayak on trips with other people.

westernsoutherngirl
04-11-2010, 11:56 AM
First - to be able to wear everything in my closet!
Second - I will be 50 next year - :) or :( can't decide which I feel today about that - anywhoo - want to be at goal and maintaining by then!
Third - when I take my kids to college this fall - want to look really good!

westernsoutherngirl
04-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah - and fourth to get faster! I love running but I am soooo slow! Sometimes I think I should add to my ticker:

Hey, I know I am slow but at least I am running!

luciddepths
04-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Mayan Riviera! Me and my dh are going next Jan/feb! I want to be at least 150

JoLeNe
04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh yeah - and fourth to get faster! I love running but I am soooo slow! Sometimes I think I should add to my ticker:

Hey, I know I am slow but at least I am running!

it always motivates me to hear someone over 40 is out there running. You guys are the ones that keep me going. Yeah i hear you i started this low carb diet last month and have watch my run time go down the tubes. I want it to go back down too.

livingoodinthe707
04-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Things I am looking forward to:

1. establishing a healthy relationship with food and exercise
2. conquering the mental battle day by day

And all the things that come from those 2 things:

1. a healthy weight
2. smaller clothing sizes
3. mental/emotional well being

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wWtLDw3/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWtLDw3/)

JennieLovesKisses
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Things I'm looking forward to:
-looking in the mirror and like what I see.
-Smaller Clothing, hopefully develop a "style" lol
-Seeing all my old friends faces when I visit soon!
-BF and I's 1 Year in Sept.
-Friends Wedding in Oct.
-My Birthday in Jan

goreplz
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
My eighteenth birthday and my senior PROM!!!!

stargzr
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
-There's this festival in late May that hubby and I have been going to for the last six years to volunteer with the same people every year... I want to be happy with how I look when we go and be "normal".
-I don't want to waste any more money on clothes. It's coming toward the summer here in socal and I don't want to buy shorts that won't fit next summer.
-Hubby's bday is in June and we'll likely be going to Disney or out of town for the weekend and I want to be happy with my body by then.
-I've wanted to wear a certain costume for a few years now for Halloween and I've been too heavy. I'd like to make my costume this summer and rock it!
-I want to be thin/healthy/fit/etc once and for all.

greeneggsandtam
04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Wedding in Late July.
20 year grad reunion in June.
Yikes! Gotta stay on track.

MaezieZ
04-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Going to Disneyland in June--have to fit into my shorts because I can't afford to buy new ones--plus I refuse to!!!

My nephew's wedding in August--found a dress I like, but it would be out of the question to wear it now.

I just want to feel better overall.

duckyyellowfeet
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Oh man
-graduating college in June at under 200 lbs.
- spending the summer at the pool without feeling beyond self-conscious
- starting a credential program at a normal weight since high schoolers aren't known are particularly kind.
- finally feeling thin

shortandfluffy
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I have a doctor's appointment followup in July. I went around January for a check up and blood work and I have high cholesterol. It was high 6 months prior and I was told to work on it and I didn't. So if its still bad in July he wants to medicate me. And I don't want that.

I want to go in there and show them all the hard work I did.. getting healthy and taking better care of myself :)

ALSO a few family trips.. such as the lake and the beach. I want to wear my board shorts!

Beverlyjoy
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Coming up for me...

In the fall I am likely to have some serious surgery (ankle/foot) that will keep me unable to put wieght on my foot and affect my mobility for 3 -9 months.