100 lb. Club - Addicted to the gym?

View Full Version : Addicted to the gym?

JessicaDawn
04-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I joined a gym 8 days ago. Since then, I've been to the gym 8 times. Each time I am there for a minimum of 1 hour, usually 2.
I'm shocked. Who would've thought that a fat girl could get addicted to the gym?

Did anyone else find this about themselves? I HATED exercising before, now I can't get enough :)

What are your favourite exercises/machines?
Do you like going to the gym?
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

HokieLoki
04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
haha, there is a facebook group by the same title: "addicted to the gym"

kimberb04
04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
when i was going about a year ago i was totally addicted!! I loved the stair climber it was a challenge for me and i kept trying to beat my last time.. i also loved the elliptical. Sadly i haven't been for a long time i think i got burned out :( it's so hard getting back into the habit and finding the time with kids too! just don't burn out!

tryhardforlife
04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Sometimes going to the gym is like eating pancakes. It's all exciting at first but after a while your sick of it. Don't overdo it you will burn out. Don't quit.

bythenumbers
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I am in the middle of week three of the same thing. I think it is my way of finding a substitute for food. If I am not going to eat I have to do something :)

Also, I know I will eat less if I workout because I don't want to ruin the effort by stuffing food down.

I say ride the wave as far as it takes you and then pedal back out. make friends at the gym that you will want to go back and see. And, if you feel yourself pulling back, sign up for a class, or something different. At least that is my plan :)

Smiling_Sara
04-06-2010, 10:48 PM
haha....love gym. *look at my sig* He's very loyal to me and treats me well. I visit Gym at least 5 days a week :)

2phatinvictoria
04-07-2010, 02:14 AM
I love our gym jessicadawn.. but you better take a day offfffffffffff:) i take two days off sat and sun so i can sleep in go to work and chill out and relax

JessicaDawn
04-07-2010, 02:18 AM
haha I'm taking a day off tomorrow I think. Or possibly Thursday, we'll see.

I'm like a true addict :(

I CAN QUIT ANY TIME I WANT.
Shame it weren't that easy with food.

Loving Me
04-07-2010, 04:39 AM
I'm addicted to the gym and have been for over 8 months now. I got 5/6 days a week if at all possible, would probably go 7 days but I have learned that I really do need one rest day a week because of the effort I put in when I do go.
DH says that I have a new man as well, says I'm always off to see Gym and I come home with a flushed face and looking happy lol.

Summerblue
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I haven't joined a gym.....yet, but I am looking into that this week, a gym here has a fantastic deal.

But I HAVE TO WALK everyday.......like HAVE TO. So I am addicted to walking :)

Eliana
04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Yes, I LOVE the gym! Mostly I love walking out of the gym, but truly I love it. I'm currently addicted to spinning and I've always loved lifting. The true addiction for me comes with the wonders of watching my resting heart rate lower and my BP lower. After a month at the gym, my resting HR has gone down from 84 to 60!!! Athletes have HR's that low! :yikes: I love it.

Yes, I'm fat and yes I'm fit!! Nothing wrong with that at all. The body will catch up.

Just a word of caution, my weight loss rarely matches my efforts. Don't get discouraged if you feel like you're living at the gym but the weight is not moving. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise and it seems the more I exercise the less I loss. Tweaking exercise upward only makes me hold onto weight. It's when I tweak the diet that loss happens. Not that that's true for everyone!! I've just come to peace with the fact that I go to the gym for my heart and I diet for my weight.

JustBeckyV
04-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Glad you are enjoying! Myself - no gyms for me. I do a fitness room if I am at a hotel but have never actually joined a gym. Thought about it over the winter but now it's nice again so I doubt it will happen. I love getting outdoors and running.

Dumplin
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I am sooo addicted to my gym. My friends help me alot. Being around so many people with the same goal has really helped me. I don't feel I am the only one in the world needing to get in shape. I AM LOVING IT!!!!!

readytodoit
04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
When I'm at the gym... I absolutely love it. I love the hard workout on the eliptical. I love seeing the amount of weight increasing on the machines. BUT... it does take an effort to get me to the front door. Once i'm in the door, I can easily spend up to 2 hours there.

toomuchmoxie
04-09-2010, 09:01 PM
this addiction was infectious!

Eliana
04-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Yesterday I went to the gym twice. :D I went in the morning to Spin Class and in the evening to swim 50 laps. :dizzy: Now this morning, one of my best friends and I are going to lift together then we're going to take a water aerobics class...just for fun. :D

Yeah...I'm a little addicted.

marigrace
04-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I remember that feeling....A little hard getting out the door, but once I got started it felt so good. I'm waiting though...just fear I guess...my weight tends to go into huge stalls when I'm lifting, so I want to get 10 more lbs off before I start...you heard it first !

PaulaM
04-10-2010, 01:50 PM
I was a total gym rat throughout my life UNTIL we moved out to CA and all of a sudden I had a three hour a day commute. I went off and on, mostly didn't go. I am firmly convinced without a shadow of doubt that is the reason I got fat. Up until that time I had a fine figure. Once we got here I gained about five pounds a year, so for the next 20 years I put on 100 lbs. I started back last November and haven't looked back. I feel so so much better going regularly. I work out about 2 hours each time; treadmill, weight machines and swimming. Also taking Zumba once a week.

If you aren't going, just do it!

JessicaDawn
04-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm a little nervous about the whole exercising = not losing weight thing, but the gym I go to offers a body mass composition test every couple weeks, so I'm going to do it once a month and see what my numbers are.
It tells you what % your body is of fat/muscle/water and tells you how many actual pounds each are. I have mine from 2 weeks ago today, I'm going to wait til May 1 and then do it again. If I haven't lost a lot of WEIGHT, at least I can see if the fat/muscle distribution has changed at all. If not, then clearly I need to reevaluate what I'm doing.

Kwilliams2424
04-10-2010, 04:57 PM
When I'm at the gym... I absolutely love it. I love the hard workout on the eliptical. I love seeing the amount of weight increasing on the machines. BUT... it does take an effort to get me to the front door. Once i'm in the door, I can easily spend up to 2 hours there.
I agree with you on the part where the struggle is GETTING to the gym. Once I am there, I used to be able to spend 2/3 hours depending on my obligations. This time it is a little different because I have a 6 month old and a husband that works 12 hour days.....
No excuses though, I am going to work my butt off, literally.

Eliana
04-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm a little nervous about the whole exercising = not losing weight thing, but the gym I go to offers a body mass composition test every couple weeks, so I'm going to do it once a month and see what my numbers are.
It tells you what % your body is of fat/muscle/water and tells you how many actual pounds each are. I have mine from 2 weeks ago today, I'm going to wait til May 1 and then do it again. If I haven't lost a lot of WEIGHT, at least I can see if the fat/muscle distribution has changed at all. If not, then clearly I need to reevaluate what I'm doing.

Very wise. I wish everyone had access to something like that, I think more of us would be thin! It sounds like you have your head on straight about it, knowing to expect a slow down. Exercise does so many good things to the body!

saef
04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I know I'm addicted because if I don't get my exercise in, I feel ... just wrong, physically, like I haven't had a shower or brushed my teeth that day. And I feel on edge. I really do rely on exercise to take some of the edge off. (I think that's what I used food for, once, so I've swapped one addiction for another.)

This has happened so late in my life. I was a fat girl in middle & high school & I can't tell you how much I hated gym class. I felt actual dread on gym days. Not just at the ordeal of changing clothes with other girls, just when I thought my body was totally freaky, but also in the classes, where I hid & shrank so much & had such an apologetic, "don't pick on me" demeanor that it affected my coordination & physical performance. I used to forge notes to get out of gym. And I altered & reused actual notes for weeks at a time.

It's unebelievable that I was once that girl. And now you can't get me out of the place. When I travel, the first thing I try to find out is if the hotel has an exercise room. When I visit my mother in Upstate NY, I've got passes for the local gym in her village so I don't miss even a day during my week-long visits.