Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #1  

Default Weight loss questions

My 18 year old daughter is 5'1" and 130 trying to lose 10 pounds. She is following the weight watchers plan and burning approximately 1000 calories a day either, running, eliptical, or walking. She has not lost a pound and is very frustrated. Does anyone have ideas? She has been doing this for about a month now.
Thanks
Anthony51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

She does have a normal BMI - that is going to make it harder for her lose. Is she eating ALL her points. Is she being honest about her points. Is she eating her activity points?

At her weight, her daily points limit would be very low. And if she really is burning 1000 calories a day - she probably should be eating some of her activity points. Also, is she eating healthy foods? Or is she eating her points in junk?

Last edited by sotypical; 04-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #3  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

Following the Weight Watchers plan - is she eating enough? 1000 calories burned per day is a LOT. When I exercise, I probably burn about 300 cals a day. Exercise will definitely help, but if she isn't eating enough, her body will try to hold on to weight. Is she going to WW or is she following online? WW only works if you eat the points you are allocated. If she is going to the meetings in person, her leader should have some good advice. If she's not, there are definitely people on here who can give good advice
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yeah how much is she eating? I'd say if she is burning 1000 calories a day she should be eating at least 1800-2000 calories a day. If she's eating say 1200 a day and burning off 1000 her body is NOT GOING to let go. In fact her body will probably start eating her muscle before her fat- something you don't want to happen...

I'd tell her cut down on the workouts and make sure she's getting at least 1200 calories a day.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would say it's most likely she's NOT burning 1000 calories a through added exercise. That would be exercising for hours and hours.

But anyway, is she definitely STICKING to her allotted points? Is she measuring her food accurately? Any way that her portions are larger than she thinks? HAs she had any days where she went over? Like Easter? Even one day a week can wipe out any deficit created in the previous six days of the week.

She'll need to be very consistent, with no *cheat* meals to achieve speed-ier results at her weight.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #6  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

When I was 18, I was 130 lbs and wanted to lose 10 pounds. I never did, and I felt like a fat failure in the process. (Which is crazy b/c I was normal weight).

I hope your daughter doesn't end up like me, with an eating disorder (binge eating & exercise bulimia) and a hatred for my body. Our culture teaches young women that they are not thin enough when they are actually at a healthy weight.

I suggest that you NOT let your daughter diet. It only trains her to be a career dieter. Instead, I would encourage your daughter to make healthy eating choices. And instead of exercising for the sake of losing weight, get her involved in athletic activities that are fun and social.

If your daughter likes running, she could join a running club and train for a race. At her age, she probably could become pretty fast.

Or your daughter could do a sport or take dance or tennis lessons. Or take up hiking so that she can travel and see the world. Maybe climb a mountain in Tibet. Or she could volunteer with kids doing a sporting activity. Or encourage her to go out dancing with her friends or biking.

I don't think it's wrong for your daughter to want to lose 10 lbs. I only hope it doesn't detract from her loving her life and appreciating her body.

Just my 2 cents.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #7  
MsWannaBSlim

S/C/G: 230/179/159 lbs

Height: 5' 4"

Gosh at her height and weight I can see how it would be a challenge - many of us never get that close to a healthy range. How is she measuring the calories burned? If she's relying on equipment (such as a pedometer, treadmill or eliptical) to identify how much she's burned, maybe the equipment is not accurate? I agree, 1000 calories is a lot. Maybe her body is not responding to the excercise. Sometimes changing up the exercises can signficantly impact weight loss and toning. Suggest she take a serious look at the amount of points she is using and if it's on target, try some new work outs. Maybe some circuit training. She might also consider talking to the family doctor about her struggle, particularly if she is certain she is within her points range and is working up a good sweat in her work outs and still hasn't lost weight in a month or so. Maybe it's an underlying health issue. Not to worry you at all, but it's probably best to look into it rather than struggle without answers. Best of luck to you and your daughter!
MsWannaBSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivated chickie View Post
When I was 18, I was 130 lbs and wanted to lose 10 pounds. I never did, and I felt like a fat failure in the process. (Which is crazy b/c I was normal weight).

I hope your daughter doesn't end up like me, with an eating disorder (binge eating & exercise bulimia) and a hatred for my body. Our culture teaches young women that they are not thin enough when they are actually at a healthy weight.

I suggest that you NOT let your daughter diet. It only trains her to be a career dieter. Instead, I would encourage your daughter to make healthy eating choices. And instead of exercising for the sake of losing weight, get her involved in athletic activities that are fun and social.

If your daughter likes running, she could join a running club and train for a race. At her age, she probably could become pretty fast.

Or your daughter could do a sport or take dance or tennis lessons. Or take up hiking so that she can travel and see the world. Maybe climb a mountain in Tibet. Or she could volunteer with kids doing a sporting activity. Or encourage her to go out dancing with her friends or biking.

I don't think it's wrong for your daughter to want to lose 10 lbs. I only hope it doesn't detract from her loving her life and appreciating her body.

Just my 2 cents.
+1
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #9  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

You might want to suggest to her (or take her) to go see a nutritionist. It isn't only about how many calories, but also about WHAT you are eating. Every time you eat, you should be getting a bit of carbs AND a bit of protein. She may not be eating enough protein.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

1. Make sure you tell her she's beautiful as she is.
2. Maybe she's gaining muscle and losing fat. I would encourage her to pay attention to how her clothes are fitting, and to focus more on healthy lifestyle and food choices.
3. Her (and your) decisions right now will set up her future relationships with food, exercise and her body. Help set her up for success.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote