100 lb. Club - Oatmeal.....well it's grose isn't it.

TraceyElaine
04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
So fo rthe last year one healthy thing I have been able to keep up religiously is that i eat breakfast now. And I almost ALWAYS have instant oatmeal. Apple flav with an apple diced up in it. I get the reduced sugar Quaker ones. I am trying to step things up the last month so I heard that sometimes the instant stuff wasn't great for you and that the reg cook on stove stuff is healthier. So I tried it.

Um...not so tasty. Kinda bleck. Maybe I need to add some cinnamon. Just the apples arent cutting it. Back to the drawing board

srr728
04-06-2010, 06:47 AM
yeah i've tried a lot to find one i like...kinda like yogurt i eat it because i should lol

I found the quaker wild blueberry muffin, and it was actually good! im sure if you need more you could just add reg quick cook oats to it if you need more substance.

rockinrobin
04-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Ooooh, I LOVE homemade oatmeal, but rarely eat it. Grains and me don't get along, not even healthy ones.

What I like to do with it? I add sugar free maple syrup, cinnamon, a couple of raisins and a few chopped walnuts or pecans to it. Yumm.

I would also recommend adding a bit of protein along side it, for more satiation and to stave off the effects of the carbs. Like a 3 -egg white omlette.

gggirls
04-06-2010, 07:57 AM
I love old fashioned oats in the microwave - flavor with some cinnamon and stevia - my very favorite breakfast. Lots of add in options.

Beverlyjoy
04-06-2010, 07:59 AM
I love oatmeal with some almond butter, 1/2 banana, cinnomon- it tastes like a banana nut muffin.

Shmead
04-06-2010, 08:00 AM
I mix quick oats with applesauce, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and sweetener. No water. I microwave it for 60 seconds. It's not oatmeal--it's much more like oatmeal cookie dough: chewy and sweet.

evilwomaniamshe
04-06-2010, 08:17 AM
I eat old fashioned oats daily & I love them dry. I put 1/2 a cup dry oatmeal into a bowl, add a container of yogurt & then I cut up any piece of fruit, and stir. Then I add in some ground flax and almonds for good fat. Truly delish and my oatmeal go to anytime of the day meal! :) It's good stuff, I could eat it 3 times a day! :)

MindiV
04-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I cook the plain stuff....but add some sweetener, at a minimum. Most days I'll add some sugar-free cocoa powder, or the powder and some peanut butter, or even some peanut butter and fat free cream cheese. I can't stomach it plain.

synger
04-06-2010, 08:57 AM
When I was able to eat oatmeal, I'd cook the old-fashioned kind (or the steel cut) in milk, then add a few cut-up dates and figs for sweetness, and top with toasted almonds or pecans. Yum!

chickiegirl
04-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I can't stand oatmeal either, so I switched to granola. It's high-calorie, but also filling and I just like it. Tastes soooo much better than oatmeal.

Windchime
04-06-2010, 09:54 AM
I like the old-fashioned stuff but I cook it with a pinch of salt. Lately I've been adding a serving of dried cranberries and a sprinkling of walnuts. I also add a little brown sugar just because I need a little sweet. It takes a little more work than my normal breakfast of toast or Cheerios, but it keeps me full for HOURS.

utgirl09
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
There was no way I could enjoy oatmeal without adding a ton of calories. So instead of making oatmeal sweet, I starting making it savory. I add black pepper, cayenne, garlic and sometimes a little bit of Parmesan cheese. It is different, but it is good.

Eliana
04-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I eat old fashioned oats daily & I love them dry. I put 1/2 a cup dry oatmeal into a bowl, add a container of yogurt & then I cut up any piece of fruit, and stir. Then I add in some ground flax and almonds for good fat. Truly delish and my oatmeal go to anytime of the day meal! :) It's good stuff, I could eat it 3 times a day! :)

Oh, this sounds yummy!

I love oats too, but am limiting myself to 1/2 cup of oats right after cardio, three days a week. I'm not opposed to a tsp of raw sugar. It's only 10 calories.

nelie
04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I like oatmeal by itself, I like steel cut oats quite a bit. I really like mixing in pumpkin with some pumpkin pie spice and it is really good.

JustBeckyV
04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I used to HATE it but actually like it now. I have the maple & brown sugar. No way I could eat it plain though lol

matt_H
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm one of the few people who love oatmeal! Even the old fashioned plan kind :). I don't eat it as often as I should and now I think I'll go out and get some!

cfmama
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Love oatmeal! I do it with a T of peanut butter, 1/2 sliced banana and a few raisins... yummy!!!

ChrissyBean
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I do mine in the microwave. 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup skim milk. 87 seconds later, I just add a tsp. of brown sugar. I love it. You could throw frozen berries in it before nuking, or apple and cinnamon as you said. One person I know adds a spoon of PB to theirs for a kick of protein.

WarMaiden
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I love oatmeal. I used to eat steel-cut oats for my "second breakfast" (snack) with just nonfat dried milk and cinnamon in them, every morning. Then I figured out the oatmeal was the source of my all-day-long, very stinky gas problem.

So yeah, I don't eat oatmeal anymore.

astrophe
04-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I like my regular oatmeal with a little maple syrup or brown sugar and a banana.

Since you seem to like the apple thing, try making it in apple juice rather than water or milk.

A.

PeanutsMom704
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
reduced sugar doesn't mean no sweetener, so if you cooked it without any sweetener at all, then yeah, it won't taste as good as the instant kind with sweetener.

I use lots of cinnamon and the Splenda brown sugar blend (which doesn't have a ton less calories than regular brown sugar, but it stays soft so it's easier to use).

And yes, the instant kind doesn't have that much nutritional value. You can also cook steel cut oats in the crock pot and make a few servings at one time and then just heat some up in the microwave each day.

mdchick88
04-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I hate hate hate oatmeal! I wish I liked it, because it smells good and I know it's healthy, there's just something about the consistency that grosses me out.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I love steelcut oats. I could mine in the crockpot with a bit of fat free half-and-half. In the morrning, I throw in a a little cinnamon, or some dried dates, some chopped pecans, a banana, some blueberries, dried cherries...whatever sounds delish that morning.

calluna
04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I am another oatmeal fan. I like slower-cooking regular, steel-cut, or BRM 5-grain rolled cereal. Often I add fruit, e.g. dried cranberries, apples, frozen berries, or raisins for a sweetener.

astrophe
04-06-2010, 07:04 PM
I forgot -- could also do it baked.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Oatmeal-II/Detail.aspx

My sister doesn't like it porridge style so she likes baked better.

A.

PeanutsMom704
04-06-2010, 07:17 PM
ooh, that sounds fantastic! Can't wait to try that idea this weekend! (I've got steel cut oats, so I'm poking around a bit on the web to find a recipe that works for those but I never would have even thought of the idea - thanks!!)

Onederchic
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I adore plain old fashioned oats. I didn't at first but it is a taste I've grown accustomed to and I love them now.

chicpanda
04-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I have oatmeal for most breakfasts; it keeps me from feeling hungry. I add dried fruits like mangoes, blueberries, cherries, raisins and so on. I also add a lot of cinnamon and ginger for added spice. Eating oatmeal each day seems to have helped lower my cholesterol levels.

calluna
04-07-2010, 01:14 AM
oh, I haven't tried mangoes or ginger. mmmm.....

TraceyElaine
04-07-2010, 07:01 AM
So in conclusion...oatmeal good. lol. I will have to start expirimenting.