Weight Loss Support - How do you eat your fiber?

View Full Version : How do you eat your fiber?

sweetnlow28
04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I see a lot of recommendations for 20-3o grams of fiber every day. I am wondering what sources everyone gets their fiber from? I usually eat shredded wheat or whole grain toast for breakfast. I only eat bread once per day but I have two Ryvita flat bread wafers with tuna for lunch and/or a big bowl of veggies. Dinner sometimes includes brown rice or sweet potato among other things. With all this food, I almost always fall short of my fiber intake on a 1400 calorie diet. Aside from bread, what fiber sources do you eat regularly to achieve a high fiber diet?

Thanks as always for the suggestions ;)

Amanda

CyndiM
04-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I have at least 2-3 servings of beans every day - refried beans, chick pea crunchies, black beans in my salads, etc. I also really like dense veggies like cabbage, broccoli, etc. The other bonus is those foods really keep me full.

Aunty Jam
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I like to put All Bran Buds into my yogurt :) Gives it a nice crunch. When fresh berries are available I use vanilla yogurt, berries and all bran.

beerab
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Veggies have lots of fiber in them also- cauliflower is something I eat all the time and is full of fiber! Peas and apples (with peel) have a good amount of fiber... Definitely there are tons of foods out there with fiber- it doesn't just come from breads and grains :)

Here are some good links:

http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/fibersource.asp

Here's a cute picture that I used when I started trying to eat more fiber:

http://healthydiet123.webs.com/fiber-facts-1.jpg

I generally get at least 20 grams a day.

Heidi58
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Beans are a great source of fiber too.
I eat well, lots of veggies, beans and my steel cut oats every day but I still need to supplement. Fiber Choice (sugar free chewables) are what I use.

utgirl09
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
When I know I will fall short on a certain day, I have a Xtreme Wellness tortilla as part of one of my meals. It has 12 grams of fiber, 0 grams of sugar, 0 fat, and 71 calories. I prefer to get my fiber from fruits and veggies and whole grains, but this is a good alternative when I know I won't reach at least 25 grams.

nelie
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I've been known to hit 90 grams of fiber in a day and I don't eat much bread :)

Lots and lots of veggies, fruit and beans mostly.

LovelyComplex
04-05-2010, 02:01 PM
1 cup of raspberries has 8 grams of fiber and is only 60-65 calories. :)

WarMaiden
04-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Vegetables, fruits, and cocoa comprise the majority of the fiber I get. The cocoa goes in my post-workout chocolate milk (made with cocoa, nonfat milk, and Splenda), or my post-dinner hot chocolate (same recipe heated up, with the addition of some cinnamon or vanilla). I don't eat a lot of bread or beans--once or twice a week, but they do add fiber when I eat them.

Typically I get 35 to 50 grams of fiber per day just from my veg / fruit / cocoa intake.

SCraver
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I have been focusing on eating more veggies.

I get a LOT of fiber from my breakfast. I do an egg and cheese wrap, and I use Mission Carb Balance wraps. There is 20 (or 21?) grams of fiber in one wrap.

I occassionally have a Fiber One bar (or half of one), but they aren't the best things in the world (carbs, calories, and Trans fat).

I sometimes eat refried beans.

sweetnlow28
04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Great ideas, thanks very much ;) I think I need to start eating beans. Do you buy canned beans or cook them from their dried form? I like kidney beans in chili but that is the only time I eat them. Time to scout out some recipes.

luciddepths
04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
putting a teaspoon of flaxseed in my shake :)

Passionista
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I've been known to hit 90 grams of fiber in a day and I don't eat much bread :)

Lots and lots of veggies, fruit and beans mostly.

Same here!

putting a teaspoon of flaxseed in my shake :)

Hey, I love flax, but really, a tablespoon of ground flax has less than 2 grams of fiber! :p http://www.fitbit.com/foods/Flax+Seed/20386

srmb60
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
A few of my friends have been questioning my fiber intake since I've started eating primally (there's a link in my sig). I entered my food in fitday.com yesterday just to see how I was doing. 57 gms. (you can see what I ate through the link in my profile).
I'm glad you asked. Now I can remember to tell my friends.

nelie
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I eat beans every day. For instance, I ate 2 salads today (1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch). Breakfast salad had chickpeas in it and lunch salad had black beans. Both of those were canned but I do make fresh beans as well. Tonight I'm thinking I will make black eyed peas which I love and they are quick cooking so I can easily make them from dried beans.

Last week, I made ethiopian style lentils, recipe here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/197572-my-new-favorite-lentil-recipe-ethiopian-lentils.html
Lentils are quick cooking so I made them from dried lentils.

I also made a chili type recipe with the following:
1 can of pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can of kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 28 oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 bell pepper, diced
chili seasoning

For both of those, I served over rice for my husband and served over green beans for myself.

nelie
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
A few of my friends have been questioning my fiber intake since I've started eating primally (there's a link in my sig). I entered my food in fitday.com yesterday just to see how I was doing. 57 gms. (you can see what I ate through the link in my profile).
I'm glad you asked. Now I can remember to tell my friends.

I was curious what your food journal does look like but fitday says 14 grams of fiber for yesterday.

beerab
04-05-2010, 05:25 PM
I thought it wasn't good to go over a certain amount? 90 grams of fiber! I think the most I ever hit was 45 in a day and I was constipated so badly! lol.

srmb60
04-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Ok never mind. I can't even read my own fitday :(

nelie
04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
I thought it wasn't good to go over a certain amount? 90 grams of fiber! I think the most I ever hit was 45 in a day and I was constipated so badly! lol.

Oh I'm never constipated.

There is some concern about overusing fiber supplements and you can certainly oversupplement but if you are getting a lot of fiber through whole foods then you are fine. I never eat 'fiber added' things or take fiber supplements.

calluna
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I'll add a vote for lentils - they're good and have lots of fiber. Same with beans, though I prefer to start with dried when I can.

Shmead
04-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Wheat bran wheat bran wheat bran. 25 grams has 10+ grams of fiber and you can put it in anything--I put it in 60 grams of oatmeal, but I used to put it in sugar free pudding. I eat 40-60 grams of fiber a day--in addition to fiber and wheat germ, I eat broccoli and cauliflower and carrots, mostly.

FeliciaHingston
04-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Beans and legumes, quinoa, lots of fruit and veggies. I also add flax seeds, ground flax, or wheat germ to my blueberry oatmeal in the morning.

shenfan90
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I probably eat about 40 to 60g of fiber per day. I get most of it from my cereal (about 8g), granola bars, flax seeds in protein shakes, veggies (about 12g worth of fiber from those a day), fruit (apples and blueberries - about 12g a day), and wraps I used for "sandwiches" (the wraps I use have 12g of fiber!).