Weight Loss Support - What water rule do you follow?

View Full Version : What water rule do you follow?

ncuneo
04-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I've always been a 1/2 your body weight water drinker, but once I got under 200 I started with the 100oz rule. Now that I'm down to 167 I'm wondering do I really need this much water? Could I get away with 64oz? I don't mind drinking it and I'm usually thirsty and it really really helps with the hunger and the weight loss, but I'm a little tired I needing to pee CONSTANTLY. So what works for you?

mandalinn82
04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Drink until your urine is less like apple juice and more like lemonade...pale yellow.

I follow that and it works pretty well. It also accounts for the fact that some days, I need more (say I've been working outside and sweating like mad) or less (I've been inside, eating a lot of water-rich foods, etc).

JoJoJo2
04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss. You have done just great.

I personally follow the Richard Simmons exchange program and he advises 8 glasses of water per day. It has worked for me for over 10 years and I have lost 60 lbs. in the process.

I would suggest that you experiment a bit, see what your body wants in the way of water. Just be sure that you drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated;

Best of luck to you on your continuing weight-loss journey.

stargzr
04-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I follow the drink-when-I'm-thirsty water rule. ;) I also keep an eye on my pee color. Just for reference, I'm at 155 right now at 5'8.5" and I'm taking in anywhere from 120-probably 160 a day. Already today I'm at 100 and I'll be running tonight. I'm guessing it'll put me at about 160 or so for the day when all is said and done...

ringmaster
04-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I also follow the drink when I'm thirsty rule. When I'm good on my plan and eliminating the artificial sweeteners (soda, crystal light, diet drinks)- water, coffee and tea is all I'll drink. I sometimes reached a gallon a day or more on heavy workout days.

jcatron243
04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
No less than 64 oz. I started out with the half your body weight rule. I tend to drink 80 oz most days, but when I run 5k or workout 2.5 hours I drink 100 oz.

Shmead
04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't even measure, but my urine is fine so I don't worry about it. Remember, as well, that fruit and vegetables are mostly water (by volume), so if you are eating tons of broccoli or carrots or whatever, that is also a lot of water.

Morgan03
04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I know just what you mean about being tired of the peeing, LOL. It's bad enough at home, but not only is it embarrassing at work, the soap we have there is really cheap and so harsh that my skin got all cracked and inflamed because I was washing my hands with it at least 3x an hour for 8 hours a day, five days a week. No more chugging water at work for me.

HokieLoki
04-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I drink a gallon of water every day... most of the time more. I just keep a gallon jug of water in my fridge and drink the whole thing, and refill it at night. I don't drink anything other than water, unless some milk is in my day's plan or sometimes some decaff green tea.

I pee all the time and it's pretty much clear.

eclipse
04-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Well, I have a bladder problem (medical issue), and I've been advised not to drink too much, because it will make it worse. I usually stick to 8 cups, plus whatever other fluids I drink (milk in cereal, coffee, soup, etc).

keepitup
04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I drink water whenever I'm thirsty. That's the only beverage I drink. I guess I must be weird, I hardly ever have to pee now. I peed more when I was drinking sodas and juices.

sotypical
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I drink most of my water at work. At least 128-160 oz a day, I pretty much chug it. I pee a lot though. I have been drinking this much water for the past few years. I don't see the different in my skin or anything like people talk about it, but I know it's good for me. I drink a lot less water at home, but still try and drink lots. I drink less on the weekends then I do during the week and I find I miss all the water! I think my body has come to almost need that much water... if that makes sense.

Amandanrd
04-02-2010, 11:38 PM
This is the biggest challenge for me! I try to force myself to drink more water but I seem to naturally not be a thirsty person. I almost never get in all of my daily water...

Glory87
04-03-2010, 12:34 AM
None - I don't really like water and don't go out of my way to drink it. I have a glass with lunch and a glass with dinner. That's it. I do like tea (herbal and caffeinated) and have 3-4 cups a day.

diornotwar
04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
i only drink water, & i try to drink it whenever i can. i get at least 64 ounces - sometimes more.

mkendrick
04-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I have six 16.9 waterbottles that I fill up (I have a water purifier) everyday. So, 6 x 16.9 = 101.4 fl oz. That seems to be enough by most of the "rules" out there :) Sometimes on rest days from working out, I drink 5 (still 84.5 fl oz).

It seems like a lot of water, but I drink one for each meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner), one when I work out, one about an hour before bed, and one sometime during the day. I used to hardly drink ANY liquid, even soda or other junk. At first, it seemed excessive, but now I find that I'm ridiculously thirsty if I don't drink my water.

Tomato
04-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I try to drink between 2 and 2.5 litres of water (although sometimes I include in that amount other fluids as well, e.g. clear soup) a day. At work, I have a 1.5 litre bottle that I fill up in the morning (I usually add a packet of electrolytes because it helps get the water into myself and I sweat horribly when I work out) and my goal is to have it finished before I leave work.
I drink some water in the morning, too, and of course after I return home. I have gotten accustomed to going everywhere with a bottle of water even if I take only a few sips; it all adds up.
I drink a large amount of coffee in the morning -up to 3 mugs; that's decaf coffee, and usually once I get to work I have a herbal tea.
I don't always drink as much as I should but then there are days when I exceed the planned amount so I guess it evens out.

Heather
04-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I really don't worry about my water intake. But I do make sure to stay hydrated when I'm sweating.

Lori Bell
04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't drink much water, maybe a glass or 2 a week. I do drink coffee and tea and eat loads of fresh veggies and fruit which contain a lot of water. In the old days I would force myself to drink a gallon a day, and it never did anything for me except make me have to pee all the time...didn't effect my weight loss.

One of the most exciting and liberating days for me was when I saw Dr. Oz on an Oprah show around the time I started my weight loss program. They were doing kind of a myth-busters type of show on weight loss. One of the myths was about the effects of water on weight loss and they featured twin sisters who both downed enormous amounts of water in order to lose weight. They did a bunch of tests and weights and measurements on both girls at the beginning of the study. Then for a month (I think...maybe longer) they had one sister continue drinking her gallons of water each day, and the other sister didn't drink any water except for what was in foods she ate and her coffee/tea/etc.. At the end of the trial they ran all the same tests and measurements and found that all that water did absolutely nothing positive for the twin forcing herself to drink. WOW, all these years I thought I HAD to drink it. It was a thrilling day. I probably would have never made it as far as I have if I would have continued to do something I hated so much...lol ;)

mkendrick
04-04-2010, 04:04 PM
walkingincircles, you didn't mention anything about your food intake. It's repeated constantly around here, weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. So if the only thing you're doing in efforts to lose weight is exercise, it's not surprising that you're not losing. Exercise is awesome for you, and it's definitely going to be your friend while losing weight, but you really need to overhaul your diet to lose weight. There are zillions of food plans out there, I personally like straight forward calorie counting.

Anyways, I don't mean to imply you haven't changed your eating habits at all, but all that you mentioned was exercise and water intake. And no, that alone won't help you lose weight.

Anyways, sorry to hijack the water thread :)

ncuneo
04-04-2010, 05:05 PM
One of the most exciting and liberating days for me was when I saw Dr. Oz on an Oprah show around the time I started my weight loss program. They were doing kind of a myth-busters type of show on weight loss. One of the myths was about the effects of water on weight loss and they featured twin sisters who both downed enormous amounts of water in order to lose weight. They did a bunch of tests and weights and measurements on both girls at the beginning of the study. Then for a month (I think...maybe longer) they had one sister continue drinking her gallons of water each day, and the other sister didn't drink any water except for what was in foods she ate and her coffee/tea/etc.. At the end of the trial they ran all the same tests and measurements and found that all that water did absolutely nothing positive for the twin forcing herself to drink. WOW, all these years I thought I HAD to drink it. It was a thrilling day. I probably would have never made it as far as I have if I would have continued to do something I hated so much...lol

Very interesting. I find it does help my loss though, I can see a difference between a weeks I've been drinking 100oz and a week I've been drinking much less, this could be purely coincedence though. Where I find it REALLY help though is with hunger issues. I'm a binger, and an emotional eater so when I'm hungry when I feel like I shouldn't be I drink some water poof I'm not really hungry after all. I guess it's really just a personal thing, I was just wondering if there was a better rule than what I've been following, but it looks like there's no one size fits all answer so I'll probably just keep it up. Thanks all!

Glory87
04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
i'm not good at calorie counting since i would rather cook than eat prepackaged or restaurant meals....

I definitely agree with mkendrick, in my experience, my weight loss was nearly 100% diet related. It definitely sucks that you are working so hard but not seeing the result you want, but if what you are doing isn't working, it's time to change what you are doing. As Benjamin Franklin said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." (not that I think you're insane, it's just a good quote for expecting a different result from the same action!)

I am a little surprised you think calorie counting would consist only of pre-packaged or restaurant meals.

I lost all my weight eating mainly whole foods - which I carefully counted on Fitday. Sure, it's a lot easier to look at the back of a package and enter the information, but it's totally do-able to count calories of non packaged food.

For example, if I wanted to make my favorite home made pasta sauce, I just add up allllll the calories of every ingredient (3 cans tomato + 1 cup sun dried tomato, +1/2 cup red wine, +1 package of lean turkey, + mushrooms, + 1 red onion, + garlic), figure out how many servings I get (6), then divide by the number of servings. It's a little more work but works great.

And the beauty of it - I only have to do that complicated math one time, once I cook the food once and figure out the calories per serving, I have that information available to myself every time I make that dish.

Glory87
04-04-2010, 08:34 PM
You have a computer, right?

That's a handy place to write down what you're eating and it's a lot harder to lose than a notepad. There are lovely threads on this board where you can be accountable and document your food and your exercise in a handy place (where people will cheer for you and give you encouragement!)

As far as what to eat, well, the internet has literally of thousands of healthy recipes and detailed food plans at your finger tips. Anything you want to try, someone has already done the hard work and detailed exactly what you should eat.

Eating nothing but a handful of popcorn while working out for 2.5 hours is not going to get you the results you want.

mkendrick
04-04-2010, 08:54 PM
First of all, you should be able to start your own thread. I started my own threads on the day that I joined.

Please don't take this as me trying to be rude or cruel, and I only say it because I know I've certainly been there and I think most of us have. Your posts so far seem kind of hopeless and "woe is me." As if no weight loss plan out there will work. You've already made a huge achievement by adding exercise to your life, so that alone deserves a pat on the back. However, you've listed several reasons for why calorie counting and weight watchers will not work for you, but they're sounding like excuses not legitimate reasons. And, maybe calorie counting and WW aren't the best plans for you, but if you really want to lose the weight, you need to find a diet plan that will work, otherwise, you won't get results.

I'm a calorie counter, so I will again toot the horn for it. I personally use caloriecount.com. It literally takes me 10 minutes to plan and plug in an entire day of food. It has a recipe analyzer, so you plug in your ingredients (1 tbsp oil, 1 cup broccoli, 1 lb chicken...whatever), and it tells you the calorie content as well as other nutritional information. You can then save the recipe and add it to your food log whenever you use it. Otherwise, just search for a specific brand name and click on it. For example, you may have eaten Orville's Butter popcorn (I have no idea what you ate, just an example). Type that in, click 1/2 cup or whatever you ate, and add...that simple.

You're definitely exercising WAY too much and obviously not eating enough. Your body is saving every calorie that it can, hence, no pound lost. Google "BMR calculator" to find out how many calories you burn just by staying alive through the day (breathing, digesting, other organ functions). Then add how many calories you're burning. For example, if your BMR is 2000, and you're exercising 1500 (too much, IMO), then you're burning 3500 for the day. Then figure out what you need for a calorie deficit. Maybe 2400cal/day. And you could eat 2200cal one day, 2600cal the next day and still average at 2400.

If you haven't already, I'd consult your doctor and/or a nutritionist to help you figure out a weight loss plan. Quite frankly, you don't get to be 300lbs by eating a tiny amount everyday if you're healthy. Do you have any thyroid issues or anything? They can check that stuff out and help you figure out a HEALTHY and effective way to lose weight.

Smiling_Sara
04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I follow the drink as much water as I can rule....

Shmead
04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
You need to print these posts out and take them to your doctor or a loved one. You are almost certainly suffering from chronic clinical depression and you need help.

Don't wait on this.

Glory87
04-04-2010, 10:30 PM
i know i sound hopeless, trust me its how i feel. i would normally never post stuff like this, but ....its so hard. i have helped my friend lose like 3 dress sizes since feb 1st and i'm still sitting here....i've tried it all and hence the name.

Hey - I wish I could be more helpful. If you feel too sad and depressed about your weight to even leave the house, you sound like you need a professional help. That is not a negative judgment - I am a huge fan of professional help!

I also understand being a perfectionist and wanting everything to be PERFECT or why even bother? I really had to let that go, and it was hard for me. I was able to do it without professional help, but this might be another great topic for a therapist.

If you had asked me 6 years ago what I had tried to lose weight, I would have said EVERYTHING. But that wasn't true. I had never tried eating good food and avoiding nutritionally vacant foods and made that a lifelong commitment.

If you go out to the store once a week, make it count. Plan a week of healthy eating, every meal, and snacks. Go buy what you need and then make that food. Work out for an hour a day.

Maybe spend some time spoiling and loving you. Salt scrubs, pedicures, put lotion on your elbows, take care of your cuticles, whatever it takes to feel better!

luciddepths
04-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I drink 2.5 to 3 litres a day

Anne Elk
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't drink much water, maybe a glass or 2 a week. I do drink coffee and tea and eat loads of fresh veggies and fruit which contain a lot of water. In the old days I would force myself to drink a gallon a day, and it never did anything for me except make me have to pee all the time...didn't effect my weight loss.

One of the most exciting and liberating days for me was when I saw Dr. Oz on an Oprah show around the time I started my weight loss program. They were doing kind of a myth-busters type of show on weight loss. One of the myths was about the effects of water on weight loss and they featured twin sisters who both downed enormous amounts of water in order to lose weight. They did a bunch of tests and weights and measurements on both girls at the beginning of the study. Then for a month (I think...maybe longer) they had one sister continue drinking her gallons of water each day, and the other sister didn't drink any water except for what was in foods she ate and her coffee/tea/etc.. At the end of the trial they ran all the same tests and measurements and found that all that water did absolutely nothing positive for the twin forcing herself to drink. WOW, all these years I thought I HAD to drink it. It was a thrilling day. I probably would have never made it as far as I have if I would have continued to do something I hated so much...lol ;)

I saw that show and I disagree with Dr. Oz. Not so much about the weight loss and water part . . . I don't know if it helps aid losing weight or not . . . it does flush out the sodium and such. What I disagree with is that he made it seem that because his conclusion was that it didn't aid weight loss you don't have to drink much water. He did his research on 2 twenty year olds and failed to mention that drinking water affects different things, especially as you get older. I'm 49 and I know when I don't drink enough water -- not gallons here, just 4-5 16oz/day -- I see it in my face. My skin looks less healthy and those wrinkles, especially the ones around the eyes, are waaay more pronounced. I look older. I thought it was disingenuous of him to kind of blow the drinking water off. Oprah was all like "oo, thank God I don't have to drink all that water and spend so much time peeing". I think he should have said that water has other benefits besides anything having to do with weight loss. Maybe he did say that and I missed it . . . but I don't recall him saying it.

ennay
04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I drink when I am thirsty. I dont drink when I am not.

There is very little evidence that over drinking is beneficial. Many claims, little scientific proof.
There is evidence that over drinking (to the extreme) can be harmful.