Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204.5/190.5/155

Height: 5'5"

Default New with questions

Hi,

I just started MRC on Tuesday. I have food instruction tomorrow and get my menu on Monday. My main question is: can this be done on a budget? I was a caregiver for my Grandmother for the past 5 years and she passed away in July. I have not been able to find work yet so am on a very limited budget. If it can, does anyone have any tips or advice? Thank you very much!!

Debi
Dejorken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6''

Debi - The main expense of MRC is the initial payment, which it sounds like you've already done, and the cost of the drink supplements. I actually save money on my food expenses because the processed foods are more expensive than what we can eat.

As far as the supplements go, you can buy them online for cheaper than you can buy them in the center. The center won't love that, and I've never done it, so I have no advice on that, but they can't make you buy things from them. It will invalidate your contract's guarentee if you do that as well...but so will eating one tiny thing off plan, so its kinda impossible not to.

Diet Direct is where you can buy the drink supplements online. They are the same products, just with a different label. Someone will pop in here with more info on that I'm sure

Welcome to the boards! Feel free to ask whatever questions may arise.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 222 / see tracker / 150

Height: 5'5'

Hi Debi,

Absolutely! you'll want to factor in the cost for just a couple things.

1) HNS: you'll need to buy from the High Nutrient Supplements, you can buy in bulk ($90 for 7 boxes of 10) to get the best price: $1.28 each.
It seems pretty reliable, that you lose quickest when you max these out every day. Since you're on the border of 200 lbs, you'll probably have a max of 4 a day.

2) Vitamins: You'll need to take at least a multi vitamin and omega 3 oils. You can purchase anywhere, buy in bulk cause you'll be taking them for a while.

3) Groceries: You absolutely will save money on groceries, you'll be eating less and fresh foods can also be the most inexpensive. I buy lots of chicken when it's on sale and freeze it and I stock up on primary foods like raw tomatoes and frozen greenbeans at costco.

That should be all you need to purchase. In addition, here are some tips
MRC products: Don't worry too much about all the other products they sell. Add them in if you absolutely feel they're necessary and can afford it, but none of us really know what makes the most difference. The only true test would be for ME to lose 50 pounds with all the product and then gain it all back and lose 50 pounds again without all the products to compare the differences. No one has nor can do that and MRC doesn't exactly advertise scientific studies behind a lot of their pills. So while a lot of us take some, all, or none, for me it's more the psychology of taking them than maybe what they're actually doing. You will be fine by just following the diet, drinking lots of water and maxing out your HSN's.

Exercise: Find the most cost effective way to get exercise. Now that the weather is good, walking/jogging the highschool track with some headphones will do the trick.

Water: Drink lots of water. For your first week nail getting 8 glasses a day. Your second week, nail getting 10, then try 12. I hear more than 80 ounces is the magic number, but many exceed it and find they have more success. Right now i'm trying to solidly get 12 every day. Im hoping this will speed things up.

Post to the forum often, there's plenty of good motivation here. Good luck!
GoalAug2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 326/ticker/200

Height: 5'6

Hi...and welcome I, myself, joined Tuesday as well and have FI tomorrow and start on Monday with the regular menu. I have been drinking ALOT of water and staying on track (with just a few slips) with the preconditioning menu. For me, I bought the womens multi vitamin, the fish oil and the enhancer. I didnt think i was going to buy from MRC but figured i woudl try theirs before looking at other sites for the supplements. Dietdirest is the site that is most mentioned. I think buying the HNS in bulk is the best savings. My rep also told me that tomorrow at food instruction they may have a "special" to buy ...so I guess I will see what that is..unless anyone knows???

Good luck

Mel
melNco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/190/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by melNco View Post
Hi...and welcome I, myself, joined Tuesday as well and have FI tomorrow and start on Monday with the regular menu. I have been drinking ALOT of water and staying on track (with just a few slips) with the preconditioning menu. For me, I bought the womens multi vitamin, the fish oil and the enhancer. I didnt think i was going to buy from MRC but figured i woudl try theirs before looking at other sites for the supplements. Dietdirest is the site that is most mentioned. I think buying the HNS in bulk is the best savings. My rep also told me that tomorrow at food instruction they may have a "special" to buy ...so I guess I will see what that is..unless anyone knows???

Good luck

Mel

If the "special" is anything like the one my center had it's no special at all. They put a package together said it was 20% off but the HNS were the same price and the other stuff was just stuff.
Phatmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/281/165

Height: 5'11.5"

Dejorken - I was told you need to drink 64 oz of water per day. In addition you need to add in 8 oz of water for every 15 minutes of exercise and 8 oz for every 25 pounds you need to lose. For me, I am drinking 128 oz of water per day. I have definitely noticed I don't lose weight if I don't drink that much water. Also, remember it must be CLEAR water. I asked about the 0 calorie vitamin water, and was told that does not count toward your water requirement.
megsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/274/190

Height: 5'11

The food itself is absolutely less expensive once you get everything started.
Congratulations on starting and good luck
Nadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 310/262/180 ish

Wow with 2 of you from Oregon that makes 3 with me. I wonder how may of us are on here ?
Ang2877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/175/170

Height: 5' 9"

Welcome Debi and Mel! There is lots of good advice here already. I've kept my costs to a minimum I think. The start up cost is the biggest pinch, but my flexible spending account reimbursed me for that, so that was nice. I have only taken one of the pills and am not sure if I'm going to buy another round. I do use their fiber drink, also, but that might be cheaper somewhere else too. I buy my flax seed oil and multi-vitamin at WalMart! I haven't purchased the drinks outside of MRC, but if it's the same product, I say go for it. I just mainly buy 5 at a time.

The way I figure it, I'm saving money by not eating out, not drinking alcohol, not snacking, etc. And, in the long run, this is way cheaper than the medication I'd need eventually if my health follows the pattern of my father who was overweight his entire life.
lolajean624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 143/see ticker/120

Height: 4' 9 1/2"

Quote:

Good luck

Mel

Hey Mel what part of Northern Colorado are you from? I am living in Greeley, but went to MRC in Greeley last year. Just thought I would say HEY! to my neighbor
Raeofsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeofsun View Post
Hey Mel what part of Northern Colorado are you from? I am living in Greeley, but went to MRC in Greeley last year. Just thought I would say HEY! to my neighbor
heya!! I live in Greeley also Howdy neighbor!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 143/see ticker/120

Height: 4' 9 1/2"

Quote:
heya!! I live in Greeley also Howdy neighbor!
I meant to type that I am living in Firestone now, was in Greeley last year and going to MRC.
Raeofsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeofsun View Post
I meant to type that I am living in Firestone now, was in Greeley last year and going to MRC.
yeah , I wasn't sure about that :P I'm not sure where Firestone is but I am sure it is "less the cow smell" LOL

I moved here from Alabama almost 5 yeara ago and just havent learned as much as I should have about other area's.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #14  
Time to move!

S/C/G: 197/see ticker /140

Height: 5' 2 3/4"

Unhappy Starting Week One Tomorrow

I had my food instruction Friday evening, and I start my official Week One tomorrow. I think my biggest challenge is going to be staying organized. I feel a bit overwhelmed faced with all the choices and my hectic schedule. I think I will do better limiting my menus to lots of repeats until I get the hang of it. My DH went out and bought me two giant cans of light tuna in water (on sale, of course), but I seem to remember that it has to be the white tuna. Stuff like this just baffles me. Also, I've been putting Crystal Light into my water to get it all down, but one of the posts says the water has to be clear. Is this so? Also, do the dissolved HNS count toward total water consumption? I do so want to do this right! Thanks for any tips you may have!
ladystarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #15  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladystarrider View Post
I had my food instruction Friday evening, and I start my official Week One tomorrow. I think my biggest challenge is going to be staying organized. I feel a bit overwhelmed faced with all the choices and my hectic schedule. I think I will do better limiting my menus to lots of repeats until I get the hang of it. My DH went out and bought me two giant cans of light tuna in water (on sale, of course), but I seem to remember that it has to be the white tuna. Stuff like this just baffles me. Also, I've been putting Crystal Light into my water to get it all down, but one of the posts says the water has to be clear. Is this so? Also, do the dissolved HNS count toward total water consumption? I do so want to do this right! Thanks for any tips you may have!

yes, CLEAR WATER. you can have other things, but you must get your clear water down first and foremost! the hns does NOT count toward the water! so if getting more liquids down is a problem, just don't dilute the hns heavily -- besides, then the hns tastes even better less diluted!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote