srmb60
04-01-2010, 08:53 AM
And now .... it begins!

Good morning this first day of April!

Today, the first day of this primal month I weighed 129.6 lbs
chest 35.5 inches
waist 27.75 inches
hips 37 inches

I got well over 7 hours of sleep and it's going to be easy to get some sun when I go for my walk this morning.

midwife
04-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Oh, just found this thread now! I'm in!! Got the book last night....opened the box while I was eating Dominos (don't ask, long story)....so I skipped the scale today cause I know I'm retaining about 3 lbs of water. I'll use yesterday morning's weigh in as my start.

Hmm....I think I shall make a ticker!

wendyland
04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
I'd love to know what everyone's meal plans are.

I'm having a protein shake for breakfast because we are low on groceries. It's chocolate whey protein that is sweetened with stevia only. I added about 4 strawberries and some cinnamon and extra cream.

I'll probably have salad and chicken for lunch. Maybe pork chops and broccoli for dinner. I have some raw pecans that I soaked and dried for a snack.

I'm weighing in at 234. My waist is 44. I may take other measurements later today, but waist is most important to me right now.

CheekyMo27
04-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Everyone!

I'm so excited to be starting this with you all.

I'm not going to measure my progress by the scale. Instead, I'm going to track my measurements (which I took two weeks ago and posted on my blog) and see where I'm at by the end of April. Also, I'm going to measure by how well I fit into two pairs of jeans. One of them is a bit too tight in my butt and thighs. The other gives me a muffin top - I'm hoping to get rid of both those problems by the end of the month!

As I said before, my goals are to eliminate wheat and sugar, and have no more than one serving of a starchy carb like rice, quinoa or rice noodles per day - if that. I also need to limit my alcohol intake ... that will be tough. Lifting heavy things must be done at least twice a week, if not three times, and lots of long, slow cardio.

And so it begins!

Good luck everyone!

Fressca
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
April 1 - here we go!

Weight: 172.6

Measurements:
Bust: 40
Chest: 36
Waist: 39
Hips: 43
Left Thigh: 23
Right Thigh: hoping it's the same as Left Thigh...maybe not...

Yikes, loads of room for improvement.

So far, so good. Primal foods only, and I've had a brisk walk, 20 minutes, no "chronic cardio". I'm on Chapter 2 of the book. Like Susan, I'm ridiculously excited about this, but that gives me pause; I've been ridiculously excited about weight loss/health stuff before (maybe even more than once before....!)

srmb60
04-01-2010, 10:27 AM
So far just a scoop of coconut milk (with a sppon, out of the can) and cream in my coffee. I have a bit of a headache so I haven't cooked anything yet.

I did go for a walk outside. I'll post what I ate when I get home from work tonight.

midwife
04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Clearly I need to read the book. But my initial approach includes avoiding grains (DS is making a cake for Easter so I will partake that day), lifting 3X a week, and throwing intervals into my running to avoid steady state. No alcohol (easy). I think legumes will be a sticking point for me at this time. Small steps....

Ilene
04-01-2010, 11:18 AM
:woohoo: and it begins.... Weight 152... I don't know my measurements off hand I am at work...

odirish
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm new here and have been emailing Mark back and forth about primal. I am ordering the book. When I recieve it, can I join in? I have to admit that I don't know alot about it though. For now if it's ok, I'd like to follow along.

Mary Ann

srmb60
04-01-2010, 08:02 PM
You are very very welcome!

There's a good little bit of info on the website. Certainly enough to get you going.

Ilene
04-01-2010, 08:36 PM
:welcome: Mary Ann :wave:

srmb60
04-01-2010, 11:21 PM
OK day one.

scambled eggs with ground pork/beef in butter and coconut oil

cream in my coffee

tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, shrimp, ground beef/pork, almonds, greek dressing with feta

hard boiled eggs, cream cheese

beer

I walked a lot.

Ilene
04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Meals:
1. blueberries, ground flax, bran buds (i know bran buds are not primal, but i really like them) , 1oz walnuts, 1/4c yogurt
2. oh i forgot about this muffin mid morning :mad:
3. green pepper
4. cauliflower soup, 2 eggs, shredded cabbage
5. 6" wrap with lots of veggies, bacon, 1 slice each ham and chicken, mayonnaise
6. Greek salad with chicken and feta, olives and olive oil dressing

2 glasses of wine

I did not exercise , I travelled today... Not the best day Primal food wise... Tomorrow will be better...

Fressca
04-02-2010, 03:55 PM
I was primal all day yesterday until dinner, which was a fail... we were out and I planned to have Orange Roughy wrapped in pancetta with a red pepper couli (doesn't that sound good?) - but the restaurant was out of it. I did start out with a salad, but my main course involved pasta, I'm afraid to say. I'm chalking it up to the 80% rule.

I am feeling *great*, however; even when I'm hungry, it's not that ravenous gotta-eat-something-carby-right-now feeling.

Today's plan:

B: none (I don't know if he discusses intermittent fasting in the book (I'm on Chapter 3) but he does on the website
L: green tea, chicken salad, olive oil & vinegar dressing
S: almond butter
D: chicken souvlaki, broccoli w/butter

We're in the middle of a kitchen renovation right now, so cooking at home is a bit challenging; we have no appliances, sink, etc. Thankfully the weather is nice enough that we can BBQ.

ETA: Hi Mary Ann!

srmb60
04-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Today was a wonderful mix of church and family :) My exercise was play!

Cream in my coffee and a hard boiled egg
Communion ;)
Real mozzerella
Greek salad, deep fried turkey, ribs, deep fried fish, a few french fries
Diet coke and beer

That's the most "overt" carbs I've had in a long time and (as you'd imagine) I'd just about knock you over for some ice cream or crackers.

CheekyMo27
04-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi All,

Just checking in - sorry that I've been a bit absent! My sister is visiting for the long weekend, and I'm just not spending much time on my computer (very good thing!).

The good is that I've been walking alot, haven't been drinking much (err, except on Wednesday night ...). The bad is that I've had a bit of bread each day - not a lot though. And I'm really trying to limit the starches overall. It'll be better as of Monday, once it's just back to my regular old routine.

Heading to Montreal this morning with my sis for an overnight trip! We are having dinner at a good friend's. I think he's making lamb, so I'm hoping that there are sufficient veggies with it ... but I won't lie, I'm sure there will be lots of non-primal things there. I'll just do the best I can do.

Hopefully she and I can rent bikes this afternoon and bike around the city. It'll be great! Otherwise, we'll at least be going for a good walk!

I'll write more on Monday, when it's back to the same old, same old!

Fressca
04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Saturday:

B: coffee with almond milk
L: chicken breast with cukes, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, oil & vinegar dressing
D: chicken souvlaki and broccoli with butter, wine

I didn't get any real exercise in (or any play either, come to think of it). I'm on Chapter 5 of the book, and loving it. Tomorrow (Easter at MIL's) is going to be a bit of a challenge!

srmb60
04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Just thoroughly enjoyed a primal nap ;)

I found pork rinds in WalMart! I love those things!

That's right folks ... we do the best we can! I can't find nor afford the organic, grassfed and so on ... so I do the best I can. This has still got to be loads better than I used to eat.

srmb60
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
If the topic ever comes up again, remind me that pork rinds and flavoured cream cheese have too much salt for me. Ugh puffy hands and face!

However, I did do a nice bit of formal exercise yesterday. Elliptical sprints.

midwife
04-04-2010, 10:30 AM
:lol:, Susan!

So I'm about half-way through the book and he had me at the point when he said Mama Grok would have breastfed for 3 years. Yippee!! The book makes a lot of sense. I'm reading it with a very critical eye, but I am seeing so much sense in it.

Breakfast today: eggs-in-a-tomato (2 sliced tomato rings with over easy eggs cooked in them), turkey bacon (has a little sugar, bummer!) and avocado.

srmb60
04-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I avoided this kind of diet premise for a couple of years. Those who know me well will know why. But I'm glad I opened my mind (and the book).
I've found that almost every weight loss/healthy lifestyle book I've ever read has good and bad points. If we read enough we'll learn to seperate the workable from the crap!

I think I'm going to bumble through a day on fitday to see what's happening with hidden carbs and salt. I always had calorie creep when I counted. I wonder if I'll have carb creep too.

We just went for a glorious walk!

Ilene
04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I have had the worse 3 food days... primal or otherwise... :rolleyes:

midwife
04-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Ilene, if it makes you feel better, Saturday was a nutritional disaster zone for me from start to finish, including gut-buster muffins and McDonalds. It really hit me over the head with a 2X4 how much my food choices influence my mood, energy level, GI tract (TMI, TMI!), self-image, etc.
Today has been much better and tomorrow is a new day!

Ilene
04-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Thank you midwife :hug:

srmb60
04-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Oh my dears! :hug:

The nice thing about primal, for me, is that I took my time getting good at it. If I am yet ;) I know that Ilene and Midwife already eat well. Just assume you're already 60 or 70% there and before you know it ... you'll be 80% or better, just like Sisson suggests.

I've collected up a pound and a half or two over the weekend but I'm sure it's not fat, just bloaty holiday weight. I'm so sensitive to salt anymore! Within my wage bracket, salt is pretty common in foods. Even meat!

Last night. I sauteed some endive and chinese green something in garlic, onions, coconut oil and butter. It was fabulous! So was the chicken toureado but it was prepackaged :(

According to fitday, yesterday was 1644 cals, 65% fats, 112 gms protein (28%) and 33 gms of carbs (8%).

I would seriously swear that I was eating a lot more than that!

midwife
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
So (I'm just halfway through the book, so maybe he explains), do you have a calorie aim, Susan?

Breakfast: 2 eggs, yellow squash shredded and sauteed in a bit of olive oil, avocado.
Snack will be cc and blueberries
Lunch turkey bacon, hardboiled eggs, salsa, refried beans probably (clinging to my legumes)

Dinner TBD

Exercise: 1 hr weights, 3 mile interval run

wendyland
04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm back from my weekend trip. It was exhuasting driving 7 hours there and back for only a 3 day trip with a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 year old.

I tried to avoid grains as much as possible, but it was really hard at my aunts house. I did pass up dinner rolls and tried to eat as much turkey and green beans as I could to fill up on.

I had 4 sausage links for breakfast. I'm still trying to put together a plan for today.

Fressca
04-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Yesterday was not quite primal :lol: - not even 80%, thanks to Easter at MILs. But I made the best choices possible, and was gratified to find that my weight was steady this morning (171.6), and not the usual 2-3lbs gain that is pretty standard for me after a feast like yesterday's. Overall I'm really enjoying this primal thing; no cravings, no hunting around the cupboard for something to eat every 15 mins.

Today:

B: IF
L: omelet with ham, green peppers, onions
D: salmon, grilled, with lots of veggies (that's the plan, anyway)

srmb60
04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Hey Midwife ... no not really. There are a couple of guidelines that stuck in my brain. 1/2 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. 50 - 100 grams of carbs for fat loss. And the rest is selected fats.

I'm not sure why I'm frightened of too low calories. Doesn't make much sense considering I used to think less was better.

Yesterday I just ate what I wanted from what I had and that's how it turned out. I'm sure I'll be able to maintain more easily if I can already end up close to "good" without even trying really.

Ilene
04-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Today's food so far:
1. blueberries, ground flaxseeds, bran buds, dollop of yogurt
2. AES protein drink, it's not primal, but my mouth was frozen I went to the dentist this morning, and I was really hungry
3. Left over ham, again not primal but :shrug: ... Coleslaw, greens, flax oil in a large bowl... :hun:

I also went for a long walk, I ran yesterday and I don't like to run two days in a row, so I walked... The gym is also closed :mad:

midwife
04-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Ham isn't Primal?:kickcan:

Ilene
04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Ham isn't Primal?:kickcan::lol: Probably not :( ... but too bad, so sad, it's what I'll be eating for the next 2 days ;)... the one good thing with ham is that it makes me thirsty and I drink a ton of water...

srmb60
04-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I think it depends how it's processed. Smoked is fine ... cured well um ...

You can always just count it as your 20% :D

midwife
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
But I felt so primal when I chomped a hunk o' ham for lunch! :club: (I was looking for a cave-smilie but this is the closest I could find)

It looks like the last 3 days are my 20%....how many OP days do I need to make up for that?

I'm drinking a lot of water too! I always seem to diurese a lot when I cut the grains. Water easy in, easy out.

srmb60
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree with you about the fluid loss. If my carbs are low enough, I don't have that puffy morning thing.

I think I lost 4 pounds in about five days at the start. Then back to a ho-hum 1/2 pound a week.

Ilene
04-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Today's food so far:
1. blueberries, ground flaxseeds, bran buds, dollop of yogurt
2. AES protein drink, it's not primal, but my mouth was frozen I went to the dentist this morning, and I was really hungry
3. Left over ham, again not primal but ... Coleslaw, greens, flax oil in a large bowl... This afternoon I had an apple and almonds as a snack, for supper I had the exact same thing as I did for lunch no 3....

I'm not sure if the ham is cured or smoked :shrug: ... I did have about 1/2 cup of quinoa salad today, it's left over from yesterday's supper too... but all in all my day has been good... 80% good I would think...

Protein: 69g, 25%
Carbs: 33.6, 30%
Fats: 57g, 45%
Fiber: 35.4

I'm not sure what the macro nutrients of Primal should be though... My book hasn't arrived yet...

srmb60
04-06-2010, 05:44 AM
One of the things I really liked about the book was that there were no absolutes. He lays out the basic ... um ... blueprint and then suggests tweaks depending on your results and goals.

At least that's what is stuck in my head since I read it.

Fressca
04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Ham isn't Primal?:kickcan:

If bacon is primal, why not ham? :dizzy:

Fressca
04-06-2010, 07:16 AM
One of the things I really liked about the book was that there were no absolutes. He lays out the basic ... um ... blueprint and then suggests tweaks depending on your results and goals.

At least that's what is stuck in my head since I read it.

This! This is what I love about the book. Last night as I ate my primal steak and not-so-primal baked potato, I thought of Grok foraging around and coming across a rare find, a tasty tuber treat, something he would enjoy only once in a long while... am I kidding myself? :D

Ilene
04-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Very interesting Fresca and Susan...I can't wait to get the book...It's been a week and it hasn't arrived yet, whassup with that, don't they know I want it :tantrum:

Yesterday was a good day, today is more of the same :D

wendyland
04-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Very interesting Fresca and Susan...I can't wait to get the book...It's been a week and it hasn't arrived yet, whassup with that, don't they know I want it :tantrum:

Yesterday was a good day, today is more of the same :D

Ilene, if it helps any, I found that I didn't get THAT much more info out of the book than I did from the website. That goes for anyone else that stumbles upon our thread. The primal 101 on marksdailyapple has most of the information that the book has. It is easier to read it in book form. I'm still glad that I have the book.

wendyland
04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I did pretty good yesterday.

B: 4 sausage links
L: chicken breast & potatoes with butter (low on groceries)
S: chocolate and strawberries
D: hamburger (no bun) with cheese on top and some cut up raw carrot, celery, and red bell pepper

second dinner: a little bit of rice and chinese chicken (oops)

Even with the rice, chinese food, chocolate and potatoes, it's still a step in the right direction.

Ilene
04-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Ilene, if it helps any, I found that I didn't get THAT much more info out of the book than I did from the website. That goes for anyone else that stumbles upon our thread. The primal 101 on marksdailyapple has most of the information that the book has. It is easier to read it in book form. I'm still glad that I have the book.Thanks Wendy for the info... I love having a book too though, specially when I go to the toilet (TMI :yes: I know :lol: ) it's when I get my best reading in :p

srmb60
04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
I think the bacon and ham thing is about additives, nitrates, salt, sugar ... Some primalists (is that a word) used uncured side pork and call it bacon. Apparently some folks are willing to forgive the chemicals in this one food because it tastes soooo awesome!!!

If I can find side pork, DH says he'll try smoking it and we'll see how that is.

srmb60
04-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Moving long and slow was my thing yesterday. I got on the elliptical and just moved. I never even changed the resistance. Today is what? the 7th? So much for my plan to do weight lifting every other day. I haven't done one decent workout yet this month.

With blatant disregard for whatever is wrong with bacon ... I had bacon and eggs for supper last night. Yum!

Fressca
04-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Ooooh, bacon and eggs for supper - sounds yummy!

I didn't have such a good day yesterday; my kitchen was packed with four burly Russian cabinet installers, and the contracters and project manager were hovering around doing bits and pieces.

I work from home and for whatever reason :shrug: I hate eating in front of these guys. So I had a hunk of camembert and an apple for lunch before going countertop shopping with DH, and then Swiss Chalet for dinner before taking DS to basketball. All in all it was a day full of low-level stress. Ugh.

The good news is that the renovation is almost completed, I love my new kitchen and pretty soon I can get back to regular eating. Yay!

Ilene
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I love renovations, hate the process, love the results... Specially kitchens, I'd love to get ours done, but with two kids in college :faint: ain't gonna happen soon... Only 2.5 years left though, so that's a good thing...Fressca show us some pics when it's done...

Yesterday was a good food and exercise day... ran interval 5k, we did our best time ever... Go figure... Then at night I weight trained... Life is good :D

wendyland
04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I just realized that there's a lot of Canadians on this thread. I love Canada. My step-dad's from Toronto, so I've been many times. His family usually has a cottage for a couple weeks in the summer, but I haven't been in about 10 years.

wendyland
04-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I had a decent day yesterday. I cleaned and mopped. That was my Grokette workout.

Food was ok. I had too many reeses eggs from my daughters basket. I've banned myself from eating any today. I came in around 150 carbs for the day. Not ideal, but definitely getting better. I'll get hardcore after my vacation next week.

CheekyMo27
04-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm doing just terribly since my sister came into town last week ... and I'm having a hard time getting back on the wagon since she left! HELP! I've eaten bread for the past week, had a major binge on it on Monday night ... argh. This always happens when I get super busy, but I blame only myself - I know that if I start, I can't stop, so why do I start in the first place???

midwife
04-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Ahh, Cheeky, if only I knew the answer to that! I would save myself a lot of angst also.

I know the key for me is preparation....not only preparation by having the correct foods available, but preparation by having bad foods NOT available. Throw the stuff away that you don't want to eat. Stock up on the foods on your plan. And get back on the horse.

srmb60
04-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Ooooo we went grocery shopping. Not the kind where you need food, the kind where you hunt for new things.

I got almond butter, pepperettes, brie, avocados, nuts, cheese, catfish, haddock, crimini mushrooms ... all kinds of goodies. Then we got home and nibbled as we put things away. Weird supper but fun and delicious!

wendyland
04-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Ooooo we went grocery shopping. Not the kind where you need food, the kind where you hunt for new things.

I got almond butter, pepperettes, brie, avocados, nuts, cheese, catfish, haddock, crimini mushrooms ... all kinds of goodies. Then we got home and nibbled as we put things away. Weird supper but fun and delicious!

Does brie have a strong flavor? I've always wanted to try it.

Ilene
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Does brie have a strong flavor? I've always wanted to try it.
Actually brie is very mild :hun: I love it too :yes:

srmb60
04-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Creamy, buttery? At room temperature you can spread it on stuff, like an apple slice.

srmb60
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I can't find the fiction book I was reading so I've been taking PB back and forth to work with me. During my breaks, I just flip through ... but I am continually drawn to the last few pages.

... start eating foods and meals that make you happy ...
If you are not having fun with your current workout regimen ....
... discard unnecessary goals that are mentally and emotionally stressful ...
... a refreshing break from the complexity of modern life ...

Last summer, I went to a workshop about burnout. A fabulous fellow called Eugene Dufour could not recommend strongly enough the importance of having a "restorative pursuit".

I'm not sure where my brain is going with this. Somewhere holistically healthy ... I hope.

Fressca
04-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I love renovations, hate the process, love the results... Specially kitchens, I'd love to get ours done, but with two kids in college :faint: ain't gonna happen soon... Only 2.5 years left though, so that's a good thing...Fressca show us some pics when it's done...

I will! I'll have to figure out HOW first, but I will!

SusanB, your shopping trip sounds fun!

Wendyland, brie is delicious and so is Camembert - I have a hunk in the fridge right now.

My eating, while for sure 80% primal, has been terrible in that I'm getting so few veggies and I'm eating so little. That's a) because I'm not hungry and b) there are workmen around all the time.

Yesterday:

B: coffee with coconut oil and almond milk
L: cheeseburger (no bun)
S: sausages
D: chicken and veggies.

srmb60
04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm not hungry either. That's soooo interesting to me.

Normally, I'm a munchie mouth hungry or mind hungry but very seldom have an actual growling tummy hunger. Since PB, if I don't eat early, I am growling stomach hungry by lunch. I eat my magic sald ;) and then I'm not really hungry for supper either. I usually eat with DH but I could very happily do with nibbles and bits.

I struggle with my old way of eating every couple of hours. It always worked for me and now ... I still try to, know I don't need to, think I should, know I shouldn't :dizzy:

Fressca? you're from Ontario too! Did we talk about what part? You can ignore me or PM if you'd like.

wendyland
04-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm definitely going to try Brie. I love cheese.

I'm not as hungry, either. I had a good day yesterday. I was a little worried about going to a dinner party last night. One of my relatives is a finalist in the pillsbury cookoff. She had a party last night to kick off her trip to the cookoff this weekend. I ate a big bunless hamburger before we left. She had plenty of veggies. I did have a handful of tortilla chips, but resisted drinking soda. I came in right at 100 carbs yesterday.

srmb60
04-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Once in a blue moon, I get philisophical and post rambling thoughts about things. Please feel free to skip along to the next post ;)

I'm a control freak. Some of you, that I've 'known' for a while, will not be surprised by that revelation. The rest ... well ta dah!

The science of calorie counting makes sense to me. Fuel in and fuel expended.
Making that fuel good quality also makes sense to me. Fresh, local, organic ... good nutrients to build good cells.
Resistance training makes sense to me. Building a muscle base to support bones, increase calorie usage, protect my organs, lower back ...
Even cardio, although I tend to be pretty low key about it ... uses more calories, improves cardiovascular health ...

My problem, you see, is that I kinda sorta don't understand why PB is working. And I don't understand some of my results.

And even that is not exactly true. It does make sense that I'm using body fat for fuel instead of quick, easy carb energy.

I'm shrinking. Seriously shrinking. In and back out of two pairs of jeans in 5 or 6 weeks. There are two small columns of fat down the center of my abdomen and on either side is skin over muscle.
But I'm not losing weight. After that initial swoosh ... I really am hovering right around 130 lbs.
I know it's muscle. You can see it in my arms and even thigh definition.
But I'm not lifting. I'm not even doing the energetic boost stuff Sisson suggests. Eh, maybe a couple of short stints. They're hard!

But but but ... I'm eating lots of calories, too much fat ...

It feels almost magical, out of my control and weird!

Ilene
04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I for one love your rambles Susan :hug: ... They always make sense to me :yes: ...

Susan, are you coming down this way again this summer? It would be fun...

wendyland
04-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I like the ramble. I've always thought there was more to it than calories in, calories out. I think that by eating primal, we are burning fat more efficiently. It is odd that you're not losing weight, but are shrinking. In my mind, that must mean that you're gaining muscle. But, how? I agree that that it sounds magical. I hope to see some magical results when I get past my vacation and start my hard-core 30 day challenge.

Keep us posted on your results. It's interesting to follow.

srmb60
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM
You all may soon be sorry that you've encouraged me to ramble ;)

We would love to come back Ilene! Should we start scanning our summer calenders?

silverbirch
04-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Very interesting, Susan. Ramble on, you crazy diamond! (Is that a song or did I make it up?) I love it.

That muscle of yours, how about this? It was there all along but now you can see it because the fat is going.

Little or no weight loss. I can't believe it's new muscle as we know it's v hard to build & you're not working at it that hard. Water? Your hair's grown? Um, slower digestive processes?

Jeans. Good work! :cool: (But is it getting a bit expensive??)

srmb60
04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
It's a Led Zeppelin song!!

Fluid balance has been very good! I'm particularly pleased with that aspect of PB. I'm not having near the trouble I normally have. And my blood pressure is accordingly good.
Bowel habits are better than I expected ;)
My hair is short and I even shaved my legs.

How about if I'm so used to wasting muscle while low calorie-ing that I don't recognise fat loss ... just fat loss???

silverbirch
04-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Morning!

That sounds plausible. Yes, I like the sound of that. Have you been very (can't think of the word) compliant with not eating grains? You know, 100%? 75%

Really interesting.

srmb60
04-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Oh yes, grains have been very easy for me. Early in March I had popcorn and cookies. On Good Friday I had fish with crispy coating and two donut holes. There may have been some grain filler in a couple of burger patties and pepperettes. So ... easily better than 90%.

And the wasting muscle could also explain why (although I'm strong) I never really progessed with weight lifting.

midwife
04-10-2010, 10:12 AM
I like the ramblings too!

Yesterday was a bust but I identified the problems. Poor planning, being hungry, not having the correct foods available.

I'm going to start tracking my foods on FitDay here at home. Should be interesting. I'm curious about the macro ratios.

For breakfast I had 1 c spinach sauteed in olive oil, 2 eggs, some blue cheese, and a tomato.

My fit day macros are: 355 cal, 29 g fat, 7 gr carbs, 18 g protein.

I'm at the part of the book where he approaches the Korgs' diets, so we'll see how what I think it will be stacks up with what it is.

jennylou
04-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I hung around these parts several years ago, lost a good bit of weight. Got pregnant, ate the recommended diet, gained a ton of weight during my pregnancy and then gained more afterward. I'm heavier now than I was when I started my first weight loss attempt. :(

I found out about Primal on another website and have been hooked. I'm 2.5 weeks in and feeling so much better!

srmb60
04-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Welcome Jennylou! Nice to have you here with us!

Ilene
04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
We would love to come back Ilene! Should we start scanning our summer calenders?I will definitely get back to you on that...

CheekyMo27
04-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Ok - back on the horse!

The last week was ... not good. But today, I'm determinined and have already had a great day in terms of sticking to my no-wheat and no-sugar goals. I did have some tortilla chips though, so in no way am I pretending to be grain-free!

The REALLY exciting thing - I completed my first ever kettlebell workout today!! It was AMAZING! It was about 50 minutes long, and wow ... am I ever going to feel it tomorrow! It made me feel very positive, even though I'm certainly not perfect at it ... but I'll get better!

CheekyMo27
04-10-2010, 03:58 PM
By the way Susan - I loved the rambling too and would welcome more of your rambles!

midwife
04-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey Primal Peeps!

Welcome Jenny!
Well done on the kettle bells, Cheeky! It sounds like many of us are getting our feet under us with this plan. Progress, not perfection, eh?

So today for the first time in my entire life, I used Fitday. I've done running totals in my head for calories, I've had targets in mind for protein and carbs, but I've never looked at calories, protein, fat and carbs within context of each other. So....drumroll puleaze!

1300 calories (shocking! I would have guessed 1700, just goes to show that I can underestimate!), 94 grams of fat, 55 grams of carbs, 67 grams of protein. Ideally I would have hit more protein and had some more veggies and fruit today. The fat was from eggs, olive oil, and avocado. My protein was from turkey, eggs, shrimp and cheese. And my main carbs were spinach, tomato, and sweet potato. I missed my planned snack of strawberries due to being at my nephew's baseball game (and can I just say that ballpark snack bar food is NOT primal??? I considered a bunfree burger but held off) and I lacked time to run, but overall I am pleased with the day.

My dinner protein is usually higher cal than shrimp, so I think that this 1300 is an anomaly. I'm a little concerned, actually, so if I'm hungry before bed, I'll have some strawberries and a protein shake.

My goal tomorrow: don't blow it! :lol:

srmb60
04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm always surprised how few calories it is. Weird, I tells ya, just weird!

But ... but ... it's working :?:

BTW ... delicious snack ... banana with almond butter!

silverbirch
04-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Midwife - how is the running going without as many grains? Are you getting as many/enough carbs from fruit & veg for good performance?

midwife
04-11-2010, 09:36 AM
SB, the jury is still out on that one. The last day I ran was Friday, but I was totally not primal on Friday. I ate a breakfast burrito and so I got a cramp 2 miles into my run and ended my run. No run Saturday and no run today. My current plan is that on running days, I'll ensure I have enough sweet potato or some beans to bump my carbs up closer to 80 grams. In the book, he does note that wild rice is okay. Did anyone else see that?

koceank29
04-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I'd love to join in here. I went Primal 2 weeks ago and have loved every minute of it. I have more energy than I even know what to do with, and am driving my husband nuts! My 5 yr old son is reaping the benefits though, I'm actually keeping up with him and my 8m old. I'm still catching up on all the posts, but I'm excited to have found this thread.

srmb60
04-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi Kara! Good to have you here with us.

I did read about wild rice but just haven't had the opportunity to find and/or try it. Mixes, with wild rice in, don't appeal to my folks at home. I'm not anxious for any overt carbs yet so ... that'll keep for another time.

midwife
04-11-2010, 02:42 PM
So I have FitDay on my compter as a program. Maybe I should sign up for the online version, cause I'm actually not at home often.

Food for today:
strawberries, protein shake, walnuts
chicken, bell peppers, spinach salad (with carrot, cucumber, feta, walnuts, balsalmic dsg) and blackberries
decaf unsweetened tea
~ 2 c of shrimp, ~4 cups asparagus & mushrooms that I'll eat separately or together or divided for the rest of the day.
Oh, and some more strawberries

midwife
04-11-2010, 04:22 PM
So, I'm playing with the online Fitday and I've decided that I like our program at home better. We'll see. Primarily cause the user name "midwife" for the online version was already taken! The horror!!!

My totals for today (sans .25 cup shredded carrot and 3 cucumber slices, I didn't enter those) are:

1709 calories
82.2 grams of fat
81.8 grams of carbs
167.3 grams of protein

The high calorie items for today are the walnuts, chicken, and shrimp. The carbs seem kind of high....23.3 for strawberries....oh.....13 g of carbs in the protein shake. See, I'll have to check the label but I didn't think there was that much in my brand....maybe a gram or 2 at the most. I'll need to customize it in Fitday I think. Oh, man! Fitday for "protein powder" only lists 9 grams of protein in a 32 gram scoop??? No way, mine has 25 grams of protein per scoop. Le sigh. So, this is ballpark, but I need to play with the programs more.

jennylou
04-11-2010, 07:36 PM
He does say wild rice is okay. I am not adding it right now, but plan to add it way later on when I'm more comfortable in my body again.

midwife - are you a cnm or a lay mw?

Ilene
04-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Midwife, for that reason I like the online version of Fitday, I can access it everywhere...

On running Primal: On running days I bring my carbs up to at least 100g, with no ill effects...On non running days I bring the carbs lower. I still feel quite good with lower carbs and running...

Today was a good day...

Ilene
04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
These are my stats for today:

Cals 1,495

Fat (g) 57.9

Carbs (g) 133.2

Prot (g) 105.4

Not so great with 133 carbs... but tomorrow is another day...

wendyland
04-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I didn't track my carbs the past two days, since I celebrated my birthday (yes, for two days). I didn't eat as bad as I would have if I hadn't been eating primal this week, so I'm happy. I'm going on vacation in a couple days, so I'll be m.i.a the next week. Have a great week!

Ilene
04-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Have fun Wendy :wave:

srmb60
04-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Oh Wendy, vacation. Nice! Have fun and walk lots!

A coworker handed me two jujubes today. I looked at them ... but I ate'em.
Actually I ate funny today. Nibbled mostly, only had one real meal. I should enter it in fitday.

1450 cals
121 gms fat
38 gms carbs
56 gms protein

srmb60
04-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Disregard all that. I was hungry so I ate a can of sardines and some dried cranberries ... not mixed together.

jennylou
04-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Have fun Wendy!

Going to try and get some exercise in today, other than running after my kids...which, since we've been outside is way more work than it was when we just played indoors and spent brief periods outside.

midwife
04-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm a cnm, Jennylou, and nursing mommies are some of my favorite people on the planet!

Wendy, have a fun trip!

So, yesterday the online FitDay over calculated carbs for my protein shake, but then I had a NSA hot chocolate (60 kcal, 10 g carb, 1 g protein, 1 g fat) so I figure it evened out a bit.

Susan, I eat weird stuff all the time and I was totally seeing the sardine/cranberry combo.

koceank29
04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
So I've already walked some with baby, and I'm planning on a 2 miler this afternoon. I'm not used to not wanting to eat all the time, my brain chemistry has definitely changed since I started this 2 wks ago.

B: espresso, eggs, protein shake
S: cc and mixed berries
L: goat chz/ asparagus burger (no bun)
D: veggie salad ( I think!)

I'll end up about 1650 calories, I try to do 1650 5 days a week and then on the 2 days I do my major workouts I up it about 2-300.

Fressca
04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I've been AWOL over the weekend, but you haven't got rid of me yet!!

I had three non-primal dinners (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) and thought I was handling things okay, then stepped on the scale this morning to see a 5-lb gain. I know it's not fat, but still. FIVE pounds. Back on that primal horse today. Grok probably rode horses, right? Hippo-something-or-other. :D

midwife
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
I think he rode a triceratops. :lol:

silverbirch
04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Susan, I eat weird stuff all the time and I was totally seeing the sardine/cranberry combo.

:wave: Me too!!

midwife
04-12-2010, 01:37 PM
SB, we should totally have tea together some time!

Ok, so I'll detail my food so far. Sorry if it is lame to do so, but I am very excited about this. I still haven't finished the book, but if I understand the carbohydrate curve correctly, I'm aiming for between 50 and 100 grams a day. That allows for a TON of veggies and some good servings of fruit. This is so interesting to me. I'm not "munchy", I'm not falling face first into Cheezits or gold fish crackers. I mean, if the only thing I get out of this Primal diet at this time is more veggies and fewer binges, I'll consider that a success. With the 80% rule, I can still incorporate some oats or the odd English muffin.

So today so far:
protein shake, strawberries, walnuts
spinach salad with chicken breast (I had planned hardboiled eggs, but I found a stray leftover chicken breast from Friday night, and thought, heck, why not?), red onions, blue cheese, and ranch dsg (soybean oil in the ranch....alas!)

Totals at this time:
824 kcal
53 g fat
23 g carbs
67 g protein

With the wide carb target range, I'll have plenty of room for some more strawberries and some beans & zucchini in my turkey chile tonight.

silverbirch
04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
SB, we should totally have tea together some time!

Great idea! Let's do it!

My private feeling is that a tin of oily fish goes with most (probably all) F&V. I eat this stuff almost every work day plus a seeded (linseed - aka flax - and sesame) spelt
biscuit (cracker). Cd probably add some dsg but I'm really very happy with a pile of raw veg & occasional fruit. (Big plus is that SO does the veg - for me and the DB's packed lunch.). This is a kissing cousin of Susan's magic salad, I think. And if there are protein rich leftovers, I have them instead of fish.

I lost about a stone (14 lbs) Jan - early March freestyling this kind of food. Never heard of 'primal' until a few weeks ago. Too bad this Sissons character got there first - could have made a mint!

Joking aside, I'm back on my case now pressure of work & extended fam has eased up.

Let the fat continue to melt! :cool:

srmb60
04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I was thinking that too Silver! For many years the folks here at 3FC have been touting proteins and bathtubs full of greens. It's not all that different.

I continue to be amazed by my lack of hunger.

Another decadent snack ... fried summer sausage.

jennylou
04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
midwife - very cool! I'm currently working on my core classes and waiting to start clinicals for nursing school at our local community college. I think that eventually I would like to be a cnm...eventually. First things first though. :)

Ilene
04-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Today:
Cals: 1,228
Fat (g) 60.2
Carbs (g) 110.5
Prot (g) 79.0

I'd love to eat right now but it's sooo late 9:30, I hate to eat this late...

midwife
04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
My totals:

1728 kcal
fat 112 g
carb 56 g
protein 136 g

Holy fat grams, Batman!

srmb60
04-13-2010, 05:30 AM
For Monday
1326 cals
fat 106 g
carbs 25 g
protein 77 g

I walked for errands, did 15 minutes on the elliptical and arms with a band.

Ilene
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Last night I ended up eating a banana and thompson raisins before bed :shrug: I was soooooo ravenous I had a headache... I know I shoulda gone to bed, but alas didn't...

Today will be better :yes: ...

silverbirch
04-13-2010, 09:49 AM
My totals:

1728 kcal
fat 112 g
carb 56 g
protein 136 g

Holy fat grams, Batman!

I bet your skin is thanking you, Robin! All smooth and supple?

midwife
04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Actually, now that you mention it, yes!

And now, pardon me while I go adjust my ticker....down 2 lbs, baby! :carrot:

srmb60
04-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Oh hurray! An adjusted ticker in our primal thread!!!! Go Jenwife!

Ilene
04-13-2010, 03:55 PM
:bravo: midwife!!

silverbirch
04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Oh yes! :cool:

koceank29
04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Good day today, other than I had 1 extra cup of strawberries than I should have and it bumped up my carbs! but they are soooo good right now! I just remind myself I used to eat an extra 2-3 slices of cake, now its strawberries!LOL!

Cal: 1640
Fat: 93
Carb: 73
Prot: 124

srmb60
04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
That was a lovely primal nap! Crockpot roast beef with veggies is almost ready!

Fressca
04-13-2010, 06:25 PM
I think he rode a triceratops. :lol:

:rofl: I think I'll have to pass - too horny! (Can you say that on 3FC??)

A good primal day here, I think, although the food intake is minimal and the fat is way up there. What does the book say about wine? I haven't seen anything about that yet, although I feel sure that Grok must have been into fermenting....

srmb60
04-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Did you all see this news item?

http://www.healthnews.com/nutrition-diet/high-glycemic-foods-can-increase-heart-disease-in-women-4185.html

I'll see if I can find a link about wine.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/in-vino-veritas-and-health/

midwife
04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
:lol: Fressca!

His sample menus allow for wine.

So my stats so far today:

kcal 1479
fat 74 g
carbs 89 g
protein 126 g

Ilene
04-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I am craving carbs yesterday and today...

Stats:

cals : 1,520
fat : 67.9
carbs : 140.4
protein : 98.

Not the best I was really hungry today :shrug:

srmb60
04-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Tuesday
1790 cals
119 g fat
119 g protein
69 g carbs

Elliptical, quads and abs last night.

Ilene ... if I do not have carbs, I do not crave carbs. Which is much harder to start than it sounds :hug:

I did not weigh myself this morning. While, I'm not a frantic daily weigher, it still feels odd.

midwife
04-14-2010, 08:51 AM
So, DS made a cake for a school project and I had a small piece last night....small but it still shot my carbs up to 130 or so.....It was cloyingly sweet, which was interesting becuase it is not a super sweet recipe for the cake and the whipped cream part.

Ilene
04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Ilene ... if I do not have carbs, I do not crave carbs. Which is much harder to start than it sounds :hug:

Susan, I hear this over and over, I've just gotta try it! I guess, what I'm afraid of is that I won't have enough fuel to fuel my workouts, I should know better and get over this fear... I just took a peek at your Fitday menu and I'm going to try and follow your example...

Ilene
04-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Midwife -- I had a granola bar the other day, which I love BTW they are my downfall, after eating it if felt jittery inside, buzzy almost, and I had a pain between my eyes like a headache was starting, but didn't ... Just to show how sugar can be BADDD!!

jennylou
04-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Official WI today and down another four pounds! :)

midwife
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Yay, Jennylou!!!

Ilene
04-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Way to go Jennylou :bravo:

srmb60
04-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Jennylou! Fabulous!

Ilene ... don't follow me today. As soon as this beer is done ... I'm havin' a nap! That kind of work day, ya know?
Believe in your body. It's a fabulously designed machine.

silverbirch
04-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Oh, well done, Jennylou!

koceank29
04-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Awesome Jennylou!

I am so amazed at my own success with this way of living. I want to just tell everyone I know lately how much it has affected me mentally and physically! I have been eating "healthy" for so long but eating the so-called healthy carbs and I just could not get my weight to budge, since I started this 17 days ago I have had weightloss like I've never seen before and I haven't had 1 craving for sweets. I think my body must have had some adverse reaction to grains that I just took as getting older or being fat, when all along it was the wheat and flours. I think something has finally clicked in my brain and in my body, my body is telling me it likes eating this way and I only see things getting better from here. I just had to share because I almost can't contain myself. For so long I haven't been able to do the things I used to do when I was smaller and going horseback riding, kayaking, and other things are looking much more achievable now!

Thanks so much for creating this thread, I'm excited that I have others who understand this lifestyle!

Ilene
04-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Just had a wonderful snack... Laughing Cow cheese and cauliflower :hun:

Ilene
04-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Today:
1,769 cals
93.4 g fat
124.3 g carbs
103.4 g protein

Not so good again :rolleyes: carbs are borderline, I may have to cut out my bran buds in the morning... I also had a beer tonight :cheers: I enjoyed it though :yes:...

midwife
04-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I think we are all works in progress as we tweak this plan for ourselves.

I ran my sprints on Tuesday night and my legs felt totally dead. Too little sleep? Too little carbs? Fighting a GI bug? In addition, I had the worst headache ever yesterday. Is my body trying to get used to primal? Was it from the ill-advised black forest cake Tuesday night? Would eating the cake prerun have helped with my energy level?

I'm going to try to hit between 80-100 grams of carbs a day, and incorporate one of the following each day: yam, beans, oatmeal, english muffin. I don't know why I bonked with my sprints. Could be 6 reasons, so I'll try this for a week. I have room for one of those to be 25-30 g of carbs each day. So I'll incorporate grains or legumes 2-4 times a week for now.

Last night I came home, at some pepperoni and a quarter cup of cheezits (dinner of champions, what can I say?) and crashed on the couch from 5-8. Moved to my room and slept til 7 this am. I do this about once a month. Totally recharges my batteries for another busy month or so.

I'm running this morning, and I want to actually complete my run without feeling like doggydo, so I had oatmeal this am, made with protein powder and a little cheddar cheese. 27 g of carbs.

We'll see....tweaking, tweaking....

Ilene
04-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Midwife, I know exactly what you mean... It is a fear to go too low and have it affect my runs and workouts ... Tweak, tweak....

silverbirch
04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm impressed that you measured the cheezits, O Champ!

midwife
04-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Well, when I look at it that way, it's a major improvement!! :cheer:

silverbirch
04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Hurray!

srmb60
04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
I tweeked my back at work today. I already had to stop at the drugstore so I bought plain old aspirin. (I've been thinking about that for a long time. It's actually pretty natural ... like willow bark and the blood type guy/author recommends it for A types)
Did you know ... that the binder for ASA is corn starch!?! I wonder what my choices would be in a bigger drugstore? different brands?

Ilene
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Silver and midwife, you so funny :lol:

Susan, hope your back is better soon...

Kara, nice to see this way of living is good for you too...

I am liking it actually, maybe because today was a very good day, yesterday I was RAVENOUS though, today I am not so hungry and have less carbs and more protein... Although at noon hour I felt the need to eat a piece of bread with some Jiffy p-nut butter, which I don't even like BTW, I always eat the real p-nut butter, but DS left it on the counter and I had a spoonful on my bread :shrug: ... Anyways, I digress....The rest of the day was good primal food wise and I'm not ravenous...

Today's Stats :lol: ...
1,651 cals
92.5 g fat
73.5 g carbs
115.4 g protein

A lot more protein, hence no ravenousness, is that a word :lol: ... For supper I was very hungry, so I'm in the grocery store, looking at chicken, beef, pork, ugh, I am so sick of all of them :barf: so I got some mild italian sausages... I ate them wrapped in nice dark green romaine letuce :hun:

srmb60
04-16-2010, 05:25 AM
I had a bit of a melt down last night. I'm already tired from this long stretch at work and the aspirin made me sleepy (I guess I could have gone to bed lol) I did get on the elliptical but ... I then ate a few dates.

I think it'd be therapeutic to clean my kitchen and get all nice new groceries.

Oh and my back is fine.

Ilene
04-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Susan, if anything a few dates will clean you right out :lol:

Dreary rainy day here...

srmb60
04-17-2010, 08:05 AM
LOL Ilene!

I sat up in bed last evening with my laptop and a foldy map thing callled
Buy Local, Buy Fresh
Huron/Perth
Your Guide to Local Food

I should have been making notes. We can buy the most fabulous foods ... natural, organic, local ... I can hardly wait to see some prices :?:
Since I work shift, it's just not possible for me to get to the bigger farmers' markets on Saturday mornings. I'm happy to see that there are a couple of local markets that are open on Thursday evenings and Friday morning. Or I can just go to the little stores some folks have right on their farms!

silverbirch
04-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Lovely day here. Missed the farmers' mkt as I was working in the garden. I've been prevailed upon to do potatoes this year. Bit late but they'll be OK.

A few young dandelion leaves for lunch (now that is pretty primal). Mackerel. Raw veg. A bit of rhubarb (forced under a compost bin).

Do you experienced and wise people think that 'no grains' is what used to call (here, anyway) 'no stodge'? I keep hearing voices from my past!

srmb60
04-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Silver ... I put stodge through a google search and it was fun and enlightening! ... filling and unpalatable .... :D

I haven't yet found out how to make it.

silverbirch
04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Caution! TMI.

Oh, Susan! I could some stories tell ... Let's just say suet dumplings (aka dough boys), jam rolypoly, spotted dick, custard (of course), all forms of potatoes, rice and pasta (but very uncommon in the 60s), bread and rolls, cake, crumpets, scones, drop scones, fat rascals. And still they came and more and more ..

Heading for boquerones, HB eggs, raw veg and potato wedges baked in a paper bag for tea. (Made by SO. I have been mucking about in the garden. Need a bath.)

Fressca
04-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey everyone! :wave:

You all look like you're doing great; me, not so much. I'm primal when I can be but life is just NOT cooperating.

I hope we're doing a Primal in May??? Then I will have no I've-got-no-kitchen-and-no privacy excuses.

I did cook up a huge batch of bacon and hard-boiled a dozen eggs this morning, and I bought a kettlebell last week. So far,though, it's still in the box :D

srmb60
04-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I'll be here in May!

koceank29
04-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I'll be here in May!

Very good with primal here, I'm still enjoying it and learning new things from the forum on Marks site.

Today:
B: Coconut/almond meal pancakes
S: Coconut water
D: Steak and sweet potato/ squash fritters.

I didn't eat much today, really I wasn't hungry. I went to the gym this morning then came home and did yardwork in-between chasing around my 8m old, before I knew it I'd skipped lunch and was ready for dinner. Sunday will be 3 weeks doing Primal, my husband is starting to stick to it more too.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

srmb60
04-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Kara, I'm so proud of you! You're doing fabulous work!

After I had a month or so of primalish eating in fitday, I ran it past the folks on Mark's site and got some good input. The recipes are great too.

I've got kids at home this weekend who brought malt balls and pretzels with them ;)

koceank29
04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks Susan. Good luck with the malt balls and pretzels! For me it was my sons school fundraiser that showed up Friday..cookie dough, Yikes! Still haven't touched it though.
Have a great day!

I hope everyone else is having a great Primal day!

Ilene
04-18-2010, 08:35 PM
I'll be here in May too :wave:

srmb60
04-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Good morning!

I set my scale aside for a few days, was not a very good primalist over the weekend, but ... no harm done.

I did exercise each day and I had a couple of short sweet naps but no heavy lifting like I'd planned. Meh ...

I think I got frightened there last week when I tossed a bunch of clothing but had to keep a few things that are kinda too big. Thinking about not being able to afford new smaller stuff might have caused a mental roadblock. Sounds silly and a little more shallow than I thought I was.

jennylou
04-19-2010, 09:38 AM
I'll be here in May. :) I may be sporadic at the beginning of May as that's final time, but I'll be around. :)

onlygettingbetter
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Is it too late to join you? I recently started PB last week. I was googleing for PM and found this thread and joined 3fc. I fell off hard yesterday with a birthday but am aiming to do the next 30 days as clean as possible. I just need to get some time under my belt without falling off.

Todays weight was 196. I do have measurements from when I started last week. I see the plan allows wine but I'm really going to try hard to stay out of it!

Ilene
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Welcome onlygettingbetter :wave:

onlygettingbetter
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Thank you so much Ilene! I didn't read the whole thread yet. Are there any requirements to participate in the discussion?

srmb60
04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
No requirements! We're just supporting and learning together.

This weekend I have learned that no matter how I eat, if the barometric pressure zooms sky high ... I'll get a headache. I've been asleep since about noon! I feel kinda foggy and draggy. I'm never sure if that's because of the headache or my meds. Called in sick so I have until tomorrow at 3 to recover.

I started out good this morning. We have boiled eggs and fried up ground beef. At least I don't have to worry about my blood sugar bottoming out while I was nauseous and sleeping.

koceank29
04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Welcome onlygettingbetter!

Sorry to hear about you not feeling so hot Susan, keep getting that rest!

Today has been good, this morning I had eggs and left over sweet potato/squash fritters, snack was cottage cheese and 1 slice of pineapple, I think I'm doing a Cobb salad for dinner(yum)!

I have had awful allergies the past few days with nasty foggy headaches and pressure, at first I thought it was the low carbs, but I'm pretty sure its just the grass pollen. Today has seemed a bit better, time will tell!

I am trying not to get too excited, but I really want to be at 299 in the next day or so!!!!!Fingers and toes crossed!

srmb60
04-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Things kinda swung around for me later in the day. I tootled along for 20 minutes on the elliptical.

1445 cals
fat 106 gms
carbs 37 gms
protein 86 gms

onlygettingbetter
04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Susan , I hope you are feeling better. I have the same issues with the pressure swings.

Kocean I hope your allergies behave! I was looking at your stats and WOW!!!!! You have really done a terrific job! Was that all on primal?

I think I did ok yesterday. My only exercise was lots of cleaning. I've had a cold the last week with a constant headache so I'm not feeling real perky and exercise makes me cough more. I really should at least walk my dogs though.

I hope it ok to share my menu. Only the salad is organic because honestly I find all organic a bit cost prohibitive.

~3 boiled eggs with butter

~ beef patty with mayo and spring greens with italian

~chicken breast with mayo and spinach( lightly cooked in bacon grease with onion and garlic and a splash of vinegar at the end)

~ a cheese stick

I'm not really sure my fitday is accurate as I may have overestimated the mayo. Also a good amount of the bacon grease I did the spinach in stayed in the pan.

Cals 1570
Fat 114.4 (65%)
protein 117.9 (32%)
Carbs 13.7 (3%)

jennylou
04-20-2010, 09:11 AM
onlygettingbetter - I can't afford organic all the time either. PB is still working (so far!) for me. :) I figure it's better than before with all those grains and carbs!

Ilene
04-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Susan and onlygettingbetter I'm amazed at how low your carbs are... I find if I go too low I get a pain in my stomach, maybe it's in my head too I dunno :shrug:

koceank29
04-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Onlygettinbtr- great Primal day, I only buy organic when it comes to eggs & coconut oil, it gets pricey!

I've lost 22lbs on primal in 3 wks, my other weight loss was very slow and got off track when I had another baby. I never knew grains were affecting me badly, but now that I'm without them I've seen a huge improvement in my mood and general physical health.

Hope everyone has another great day.

srmb60
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Ilene? I have it in my head that I must choose my proteins first. Grease them up and then have some carbs.

And because I'm old and have dabbled in dieting for so long ... I'm trying very low carb. Some things I've read (I could go looking) have lead me to think that it may take some time for my body to learn optimal functioning (under my current circumstances). Only after it learns to run efficiently on the foods I'm feeding it, will it freely give up body fat ... which I won't need (so much of) any more.
This, all, instead of cycling blood sugar for energy like I used to.

wendyland
04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm back from my vacation. I had so much fun at Disneyworld. Not a great place to eat primal, but it can probably be done (but I didn't). I don't think I went too overboard. I made some good primal choices like a lunch of stirfried beef with vegetables and I mostly stayed away from soda. If anything, my bad choices made me want to stick to primal even more.

I'm going to have to wean off the carbs a bit for a couple days. I'm excited to go all out and can't wait to continue into May. I'm so glad that there's an active group now.

koceank29
04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Welcome back Wendy! I hope you had a blast! There is so much temptation at Disney, you did great!

I just finished cooking lamb chops for the 1st time ever! I've had lamb at a restaurant but I was so proud of my cooking tonight! It was lamb chops cooked on high on the stove in butter on both sides then I threw them in the stove under the broiler and added some goat cheese on top to bubble! So delish! My husband said he thinks my cooking is getting better every day! I have to agree. (oh, and we had roasted asparagus w/garlic, my favorite!)

I don't usually toot my own horn, but they were that good! LOL!

onlygettingbetter
04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Jennylou~ Glad to hear I'm not the only non organic!

Ilene that is odd about your stomach on the very low carb. I don't think it is in your head though. If you are feeling it your feeling it. I didn't really aim for VLC that was just what was good. I had a stint years back doing 4+ year low carb so maybe that makes it easier? Wish I had never stopped and gained 60 lbs back!

Kara~ wow that is amazing in 3 weeks!!! Do you notice you feel different on primal? I need to order coconut oil. I ran out :( besides the jar hubby uses on his skin!
Congrats on your lamb chops!!!!

Susan~ old???? You don't look old! How long have you been doing primal?

Wendy~ Hi! Glad you had fun! Disney rocks and wow do you get the walking in!

Well I got plenty of walking in for sure!!! I shopped for about 5 hours. I still have $ from my birthday to spend. I desperately need clothes. As I was gaining the last few years I kept putting of buying thinking I would lose weight. All that looking and I came home with a tank top , a pair of too small pants a sweatshirt. All clearance~ grand total spent $6.98.

Good deals but I still need clothes as it is getting warm and nothing fits! I figure I'll hold on to the $ and go look again the end of May. I tried lots on. I just hate the way everything looks. I have an odd shape fat or thin but it is way harder to dress fat! Hopefully in a bit over a month it will be a bit easier. Maybe my other stuff will fit?

I found out the small freezer somehow got unplugged. The stuff on the top was cold but unfrozen so I had to cook up a ton of chicken thighs and steak. Oh well guess I can cut down on cooking the next few days!

Menu today

~ squash, snow peas,onion 2 eggs

~ string cheese

~ chicken breast dipped in mayo /primal bar (almond butter, coconut,unsweetned choc)

~ chicken thigh

Cals~ 1330
Fat~ 79.8 (52%)
Carb~ 38.8 (11%)
Protein~ 119.3 (37%)

srmb60
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Good morning!

onlygettingbetter ... I'l be 50 this fall. Not really old (and I certainly don't feel old) but it's enough years of dietary abuse to expect some repercussions. If what Mark Sisson says is even half accurate, my body needs some time to repair before it functions well primally.
And since I am pretty close to goal, there's just no way I can expect spectacular results immediately.
Oh ... I started very early in March.

Do you suppose that since we've almost all been yo yo-ers, we have developed patience? We've matured past the notion that quick is best? We're willing to wait on good lasting healthy results?

The freezer incident is kinda lucky. Think of all the grabable snacks you have!

jennylou
04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I've finished up my first four weeks and I'm 26 pounds down! I'm excited!

onlygettingbetter
04-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Woo hoo Jenny!!!! That is terrific!!!!!! Really amazing!

Susan~ I honestly have 0 patience I think. I'd like to wave a wand and be thin again and not worry about blood sugar. However I am trying to learn patience and look at it as keeping the diabetes in check, getting healthy and look at the better figure last. You do not look 50! I just turned 40. I can't stop aging so I better take care of myself.
I think it does take a while to recover from the yoyo effect.

What age group are the rest of you if it isn't to personal?

I got my sun today. That is an odd concept after slathering sun screen on my fair skin for years. I think my face burned a tiny bit. I wonder if I do the 30 min a day if I might even get a bit of color!? I've always shielded my face because I have enough wrinkles but I'll give it a little sun.

Is anyone doing any of the IF???? I managed to skip lunch the last 2 days due to getting busy. It is kind of nice to read the IF cocept and not feel like I'm doing something wrong for missing a meal.

Ok one more ?. sorry I am full of them! How often do you weigh in? I'm really torn on weighing or not.

I'll pop back later with a menu~ toodles!

koceank29
04-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Susan- I agree with you and Mark, my body needs the time to figure out what the heck I'm doing! It is so used to being bombarded with carbs I think it needs a tutorial on how to properly function! Good news is today I only had 20 carbs and I didn't feel any negative effects. I usually stick between 50-80 but I just didn't feel like eating much today.

OGB- I'm 31...I haven't IF'd yet although I eat my dinner between 4-5pm and don't eat again until 7-9am depending on the day, so that always feel like a long stretch. I haven't done an IF during the day, but I'm going to try it sometime in May after I feel my body has regulated to what I'm doing. I had read on MDA that it can take 6 weeks for the body to get used to this new lifestyle. We'll see.

I am a sunaholic myself, always have been. My mother is from a beachtown in Maryland, so I get it honest. Both of us suffer from SAD during the winter, although mine isn't as severe as most.

I weigh daily, I have a lot to lose so it keeps me motivated through the day. Luckily since starting PB I find the scale eithers stays the same for a few days or goes down, for the first time I'm not fighting with the scale like on past attempts.

B:2 eggs,1 bacon, cottage chz, handful of blueberries
L:coconut milk protein shake
D:Flank steak & mashed garlic cauliflower

Today was boring food wise, but I just wasn't that hungry, which for me is a great thing!

onlygettingbetter
04-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Kara I bet that qualifies as IF. That is a long stretch. That is awesome your not fighting the scale :)

B
2 eggs/spinach/mozzarella

L
none

Dinner
t bone/slice melon/ big salad with italian

S
cheese

Cals 1334
carbs 33.8
fat 80.9
protein 111

Ilene
04-21-2010, 10:41 PM
I've finished up my first four weeks and I'm 26 pounds down! I'm excited!Holy cwap!! That's amazing!! :bravo:

I've been good today ate well and exercised ...

Sun: I get sun almost daily I walk to work, it's only 5 mins but I run every second day and I get some sun there too

Age: I'm 53 and I feel like I look it :lol: specially since I've let my hair go au naturale :lol: but I don't physically feel that age at all... Which is one reason I try to keep physically in tip top shape, I want to be the gray haired lady with the hot body :rofl:

I haven't IFd yet myself, well, maybe I did I skipped a snack this afternoon :dizzy:

srmb60
04-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Evening ladies!

Jennylou that is awesome!

I have never IF'd and don't really intend to. But I do go far longer periods of time without eating than I used to. I only think I should eat something now because my cals are low. Less than 1000 :?:

onlygettingbetter
04-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Ilene you look lovely!!!!!! You skin looks awesome!

Susan I haven't really done a long IF like MDA talks about but am glad not to feel guilty or like I'm killing my metabolism by missing a meal if i'm not hungry. I read about 24 hour IF over there. I'm pretty sure as a diabetic I would croak.

Wow those are low cals! Are you just not hungry? Ketosis does kill the appetite for many.

Well my snack lat night ended up being a few oz almonds instead of cheese. Changing my numbers to:

cals 1657
fat 112
protein 123
carbs 43.

I am shocked how fast my scale dropped since Mon. Wow I must have been holding some serious water!

koceank29
04-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Jennylou, that is great!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Have a great day everyone!

B: Omelette(onion,peppers,squash), cottage chz w/blueberries

srmb60
04-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I did eat more.
96 gms fat
19 gms carbs
100 gms protein
1350 cals

Perhaps one low day won't hurt a thing but, it's quite ingrained in my head that starving causes binging. Old habits die hard.

Sun? I like it and feel (and think I look) healthier with a bit of a tan. But I'm pretty fair and burn easily. Couldn't do a half hour every day. I can burn in 15 minutes. A couple of times over the summer I'll lay out with a book or go to the beach or somebody's pool or DH's ball games. I also like to sit outside for my coffee breaks.

Don't listen to Ilene. She does not look 53.

I do not recommend IF for type 1 diabetics. That is science kinda far flung for me :dizzy:

Can I just add that I'm really enjoying the bright enthusiasm in this thread? Smart, encouraging folks :hug: I like it!

srmb60
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Here ya go my friends!

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/s2010-e210410-michellematangi-video-3481727

Ilene
04-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Susan, I can't wait to go home and watch it :dance: ... I can't hear it at work :(

Ilene
04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
I've been doing good too, yesterday carbs were under 100g, I can't remember exactly though... the scale was down 1 this morning :goodscale:

midwife
04-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi guys! Just wanted to :wave:! I think I'm going back to my original plan. I had some, um, unpleasant side effects that might have gotten better if I persisted through, but I just couldn't. I might be back for another try later though. Looks like you all are doing AWESOME!! I'm so proud of you!

Fressca
04-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Here ya go my friends!

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/s2010-e210410-michellematangi-video-3481727

This was good! The presenter didn't sound convinced, did she? :dizzy: Still wrapped up in conventional wisdom.

Fressca
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi guys! Just wanted to :wave:! I think I'm going back to my original plan. I had some, um, unpleasant side effects that might have gotten better if I persisted through, but I just couldn't. I might be back for another try later though. Looks like you all are doing AWESOME!! I'm so proud of you!

Midwife - noooo! I'm going to miss your sense of humour :cry:

wendyland
04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I just turned 32. I don't do much IF. I may be able to once I'm used to the lower carbs. I usually need to eat 3 meals or I feel light-headed.

I'm slowly lowering my carbs. Probably a little too slow, but I'm more likely to stick with it if I go slow.

srmb60
04-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Aw Midwife! But whatever you are doing is working very well for you and we like that. We'll see you around. :hug:

I need groceries! I just nudged my cals up to almost 1200 by dipping my cheese in the butter :devil:

Ilene
04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Midwife, I'm going to miss you here, but I know I'll see you around these boards :hug:

wendyland
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
I ordered Mark's primal cookbook a couple days ago. I'm looking forward to it. I'll give you all my review.

Ilene
04-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I ordered Mark's primal cookbook a couple days ago. I'm looking forward to it. I'll give you all my review.:hun:

What would Crok (sp) eat at a pizza/bar, they have chicken wings... I'm trying to save up all my carbs for tonight...

Fressca
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I need groceries! I just nudged my cals up to almost 1200 by dipping my cheese in the butter :devil:

Gotta love a lifestyle that lets you dip cheese in butter!!

I'm 51 but (like Bryan Adams sings), 18 til I die...

And I do IF, usually from dinner to lunch next day. I find I'm not hungry for breakfast and if I eat it, it sets me up with the munchies all day long. So it was a relief to be given permission to skip it. :D

I also ordered the Primal cookbook, and got one called Low Carb 1-2-3 at the second-hand bookstore the other day. All the recipes have only three ingredients - how cool is that? I'll post anything good that I make out of it.

Happy Friday, Primal chicks!

midwife
04-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I'll still be in and out! There's a lot of stuff that is agreeing with me: sprints, more veggies, playtime!, etc. :hug:

srmb60
04-23-2010, 06:27 PM
John and I went hootin around the countryside today and nibbled primally. It was fun! We found some pepperettes, strawberries, nuts, coffee with cream, bottled water.

onlygettingbetter
04-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Just a quicky to say still working the PB! Just too busy to post much today :)

jennylou
04-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the congrats ladies! :)

Midwife, we'll miss you. Stop in often!

How about a QOTD? What is your favorite(s) primal food(s) to eat?

I love thai curry. I've even adapted to removing the water chestnuts and little kernels of corn (DH not so much, but he's not going primal!). I eat it more like a soup, without the rice. Some people say they make cauliflower for their curry, so I might try that as a good sub for rice.

Ilene
04-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd love to try this Bacon, Chicken and Avocado Salad (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bacon-chicken-and-avocado-salad/) recipe, looks delish :hun:

srmb60
04-24-2010, 05:33 AM
I saw that recipe too Ilene. It does look awesome. I wonder if I have all the stuff???

QOTD? ... I'd have to say eggs. They are just so blessed convenient!

wendyland
04-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I'd love to try this Bacon, Chicken and Avocado Salad (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bacon-chicken-and-avocado-salad/) recipe, looks delish :hun:

That looks good. I have all of the ingredients. I'll just have to wait for my avocado to ripen.

srmb60
04-24-2010, 03:49 PM
I ate a whole avocado for lunch today. Cottage cheese, tomato, cucumber, almonds ... it was a fabulous lunch!

onlygettingbetter
04-24-2010, 04:03 PM
MMMM sounds good Susan!

I hope you all are having a great weekend. I was happy to weigh in at 191.4 today. Much better than Mondays weight :) Feel kind of bummed I have 50+ to go but progress is progress.

I almost pre- ordered that cookbook but hesitated. I can get it later I guess. I can't wait to hear what it is like.

Fressca I loved that Brian Adams song!

Jenny my fav primal food is steak ! MMMMMMMMMMM I was almost embarrassed to eat a pound (raw weight) steak the other day! Curry is tasty!

srmb60
04-25-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm liking this guys blog.

http://http://sterlingadvice.blogspot.com/2010/02/carbs-carbs-carbs.html

koceank29
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Susan your lunch yesterday was almost identical to my breakfast, I had some blackberries and bacon though too, no cucumber. I've been swamped this weekend so I haven't been able to catch up but its been good. I did my first 18 hr IF not by choice! I was stuck somewhere late and had eaten around 1pm and I thought, I'll just wait til breakfast, it actually was easy. I think I'll stick to the 18 hr 1x a week for now, then bump it to 24.

I can't wait to hear how the PB Cookbook is!

My family noticed the inches coming off this weekend, I hadn;t seen them since Christmas, so that was great. My scale is teasing me and won't go to 299, thats okay, I'm not going to sabotage myself like in the past, I'm just sticking to everything!

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I'll check back in tomorrow!

Ilene
04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Mm mm good!! Made the bacon, chicken and avocado salad for supper, I BBQd everything the bacon and chicken too…No one knows I am low carbing so they almost fell on their butts when I cooked bacon :lol: I only put 1 clove of garlic, I don’t really like garlic, I know, I’m one of the few who don’t… For the familly I made rice and they were very happy…

srmb60
04-26-2010, 05:51 AM
After reading Ilene's post, I realise that I've been eating fairly plainly. I can't remember the last time I spiced something up. I must be going through some kind of "let's see how that tastes" phase.
DS#2 and I split a great big butt chop on Saturday and both agreed that the fat holds the flavour. Man was it better tasting than the dry little loin chops we have been eating.

wendyland
04-26-2010, 09:51 AM
DS#2 and I split a great big butt chop on Saturday and both agreed that the fat holds the flavour. Man was it better tasting than the dry little loin chops we have been eating.

A local cut in St. Louis is called pork steaks. We been buying really thick fat ones. They are so flavorful. We also have fruit trees, so my husband uses our pruned tree branches to smoke the meat. I also like the little thin loin chops cooked with lots of butter.

I'm getting closer to 100 carbs. It's been really hard to get back in the swing of things after vacation. I started with eggs this morning. My husband forgot that I only like scrambled and made over easy. I put salsa on them and gagged them down. I think we'll have taco salad for lunch.

onlygettingbetter
04-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone! Glad too see you all doing well! Wendy salsa and eggs ~ MMMMM
I really got off kilter in a big way last night. I bet I had 300 carbs. I was crabby , emotional and hungry. Bad combo all the way around.
Roday is great thought. That carb fest gave me almost 4 lbs of bloat!

koceank29
04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Ilene, I'm going to have to try that salad...it sounded great! Thats funny what you said about your family and you cooking bacon, I had my own moment in the kitchen last night as I was cooking some sausage up and it didn't have much grease to it but I needed to saute onion and mushroom with it, so I took my spoon and dipped it into the bacon grease I've been saving and added it to the pan...I stood still for a moment and was thinking"who am I", I never would have done that a month ago, in fact I only just starting saving my bacon grease 1 wk ago! Funny how things change!

OGB: I'm sure you'll drop the 4 lbs of bloat weight! Just move on from last night, don't let it derail you! You can do it!

wendyland
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
It's a quiet day. What's everyone eating today?

I had 3 sausages & some fage yogurt with blueberries for breakfast. I went to the food court at the mall for lunch. I got a chicken wrap. I ate some of the wrap, but tried to mainly eat the inside. I had a few fries and gave the rest to my daughter.

Now, I'm having a taco salad. I made the dressing with some yogurt, salsa, and a bit of lime juice. Yummy! Tacos are one of my favorite foods. I don't miss the shell at all.

fatBgone07
04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
It's a quiet day. What's everyone eating today?

Now, I'm having a taco salad. I made the dressing with some yogurt, salsa, and a bit of lime juice. Yummy! Tacos are one of my favorite foods. I don't miss the shell at all.

Hi Wendy - did you know Shop -N-Save sells La Tiara taco shells which only has net 4 carbs? It also has 2g fat and 40 calories. There are in a white box.

I love pork steaks too!

srmb60
04-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi everybody!

I don't think I realised that I haven't posted today. Hmmm ...

I tried IF'ing today. Made 15 hours and then had bacon and eggs. I've had a little cream in my coffee and now ... I think I might be hungry soon.

I've just boiled some eggs for tomorrow and packed my lunch. Cottage cheese, tomato, carrot, cucumber, broccoli and almonds.

I've got a pork tenderloin out ready to go in the crockpot in the morning.

There's really no reason why I shouldn't go and lift something heavy. I have a wheelbarrel idea. I'll be back in a few ....

srmb60
04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I put a cement block in the wheelbarrel and pulled it up the lawn and pushed it back down. Fun! and it feels good now too.

Fressca
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I've had a terrible day, eating wise... waaaay too many carbs, and now I'm feeling sad :cry: Probably a result of carb crash plus guilt!!

I'm really looking forward to May. I've ordered some kettlebell DVDs, and I'm making a plan. Grok on, everybody - you all look like you're doing GREAT! Love the wheelbarrowing, Susan! And that bacon salad - who needs to eat carbs, anyway??

koceank29
04-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Good idea Susan, I'm going to try that with mine tomorrow! Usually my heavy thing is pulling my kids around in their wagon.

Today's meals were:

B: 3 eggs with onion,mushroom,leftover snap peas, & bacon
Espresso w/ coconut milk
S: Bite(2 spoon fulls, I changed my mind half way through)cottage cheese

D: Ribeye w/onion & mushrooms,mashed cauliflower(I need an intervention! so yummy), 5 small slices of plaintain sauteed in butter & cinnamon

That was it! Good day! Made it to the gym today for a quick jog on the treadmill and added some sprinting to my usual routine. I am trying to get to 299 still, I don't know what is stalling me out, but I know my clothes are falling off!

Everybody is doing great!

Ilene
04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
I've had a bad 2 days :( just having too many BLTs (bites, licks, tastes)... My stomach feels queasy from the sugar...

srmb60
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I just feel sooo good today. I even got on the elliptical for a while.

Does anybody know how to make old-fashioned cheese crackers a la atkins? Mine just melted into a clump that I had to eat with a fork. Oh it was good ...

wendyland
04-28-2010, 11:18 AM
I just feel sooo good today. I even got on the elliptical for a while.

Does anybody know how to make old-fashioned cheese crackers a la atkins? Mine just melted into a clump that I had to eat with a fork. Oh it was good ...

I'd like to know, too. I've seen instructions for microwaving on waxed paper, but I don't have a microwave.

wendyland
04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Hi Wendy - did you know Shop -N-Save sells La Tiara taco shells which only has net 4 carbs? It also has 2g fat and 40 calories. There are in a white box.

I love pork steaks too!

Yes, I love those shells. They're thin and crispy. I practically live at shop-n-save. I love their sliced turkey at the deli. Good, thick slices.

Fressca
04-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Here's a couple of methods:

American "Deluxe" cheese - cut a slice into smaller pieces and place on parchment paper (only parchment will do!), not touching. Nuke on high for 1 minute. They should be somewhat brown and puffy. Nuke longer if necessary, in 10 second increments.

Shredded Parmesan - (use real Parmesan, not the Kraft-in-a-can kind) Put small piles in frying pan, heat over medium. Cook for about 5 minutes and flip. They should start to brown. Don't overcook or they'll taste bitter.

Provolone - Take a slice of provolone, put on parchment paper, nuke for 1 minute. Nuke longer if necessary, in 10 second increments. You can bend these right out of the microwave and make taco shells, too.

I haven't tried the Provolone crisps, but the other two work. Parchment paper seems essential for the cheese slice; everything else I've tried it sticks to like crazy.

srmb60
04-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Oh thank you! I love cheese.

srmb60
04-29-2010, 05:16 AM
What's the date today? Are you all ready to do your roundup for April?

I'm kind of excited, although my changes will be small at this size. I'm excited to see some changes.

srmb60
04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I feel so naughty!
Everyone went golfing and left me alone with a crockpot full of garlic herb chicken legs. So after a couple, I went to the store and bought ... raspberries, an avocado and eggs! And I ate all the berries :)

Now I'm sitting in front of the TV with my laptop. Man, I love a couple hours like this!

Ilene
04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
I ate a container or raspberries today too and 3 sausages :hun: But I also had a slice of pizza, thin crusted though ... I did :strong: some weights though :yes:

srmb60
04-30-2010, 05:57 AM
My raspberries weren't even cheap. I just wanted them ;)

Here's how Thursday shook out ...

Cals 1327
Fats 87 gms 58%
Carb 41 gms 11%
Protein 99 gms 31%

Good morning Friday! I'm off the weekend and alone most of tomorrow. Nice!

koceank29
04-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Yum...I have some frozen raspberries I've been nibbling on too. Sounds like everyone is doing great.

Ilene: I was having pizza cravings and had a meatza, it was different but very good, my husband wants me to come up with a taco meatza so that will be on next wks menu.

I finally hit the 299 mark this morning, finally! I know I'm losing inches but I'm still addicted to the scale and wish I'd see it drop faster.

Today I'll be having:
B:bacon, eggs, espresso
L:Leftover Pork chops and greenbeans
D:small salad probably if I'm hungry

Have a great day!
Have a great day!

Ilene
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
150 this morning :goodscale:

Had a great run this morning too, one minute interval sprints for 5k, I have better time when I do sprints :shrug: go figure... 37 minutes :D ...

Today is a gorgeous day and a busy one... I've exercised, gotta pick up the pig pen now... Go decorate the hall a bit for my parents 60th anniversary surprise party tonight, not a really big party, 25 guests, mostly immediate family... I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the food yet, there is a chicken parm entree so I may do that with only veggies...

srmb60
04-30-2010, 04:32 PM
You go Ilene!!!

I don't think I will have made that kind of scale progress but I'm thinkin' the measuring will be good.

srmb60
05-01-2010, 06:12 AM
And now .... it begins!

Good morning this first day of April!

Today, the first day of this primal month I weighed 129.6 lbs
chest 35.5 inches
waist 27.75 inches
hips 37 inches

I got well over 7 hours of sleep and it's going to be easy to get some sun when I go for my walk this morning.

And on this first day of May ....
128.4 lbs
chest 34.5
waist 27
hips 36

Summary ... I lost 1.2 lbs
:cp:One inch off my bust. 3/4 off my waist and one off my hips! :cp:

Here's my fitday stats, averaged over the last 4 weeks
cals 1673
fats 108 gms 58%
carbs 74 gms 18%
protein 91 gms 22%
and a smidgeon of red wine and light beer

koceank29
05-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey ladies: I tried the avocado pudding yesterday and it was pretty good!

1 avocado, 1/4 c of coconut milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp sweetener of your choice, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice

This hit the spot for me yesterday as I didn't eat lunch and just needed a little pick me up around 2:30.

I'll post my stats in a bit!

Great job Ilene!

Susan you did great for April!