Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Default ?Healthy? Scalloped Potatoes??

Is there such a thing?

I plan to have a traditional Easter dinner on Sunday. I was thinking of making scalloped potatoes, but in the past I have just used the boxed mix. I know it has to be full of artificial things and sodium, so was wondering if anyone had a good recipe. Doesn't necessarily have to be fat free/sodium free. Just with less of the extra stuff I don't need.

Thanks!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #2  

I was thinking of trying this one....was thinking a tiny bit of onion/chives added into the flour/butter would be tasty....

From familyoven.com.

SCALLOPED POTATOES

Ingredients:

4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
paprika

Directions:

1-In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
2-Let sit for a minute.
3-Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
4-Season with salt and cayenne.
5-Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
6-Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
7-Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
8-Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
9-Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
10-Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
11-Top with some paprika for color.
12-Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350F.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

Annie try this trick out. I've made it before. Use the recipe from Moosewood Mac and Cheese and substitute potatoes for the mac.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
1 1/2 cup skim milk or buttermilk (if you want a creamier Mac and Cheese, and I know you do, use the buttermilk!)
1 tsp dried mustard or 1 tbsp prepared mustard
pinch of cayenne
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated onion
1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 lb. uncooked elbow macaroni
2 tbsp finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan Cheeses
1/4 cup bread crumbs

Preheat the over to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9 or 10 inch square baking pan with a light coating of cooking spray.
In a blender, combine the cottage cheese, skim milk/buttermilk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine the puree, the onion, macaroni and cheddar cheese and stir thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into your pan.
Combine the Pecorino/Parmesan and the bread crumbs and sprinkle on top of the mixture.
Bake about 45 minutes, until the top is browned and the center firm.

I substitute low fat cheeses and use low fat bread bring cal count way down.

Nutritional Information:
For 10 oz. serving (about 1/4 of the dish), 471 calories, 30.7 grams protein, 13.2 grams fat (7.7 gram of saturated, 0.8 polyunsaturated and 3.7 gram unsaturated), 55.7 gram carbohydrate, 38 mg cholesterol, 1008 mg Sodium, 1.9 gram of fiber

Last edited by tryhardforlife; 03-30-2010 at 05:17 PM.
tryhardforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

That looks like a good recipe. If you wanted to tweak it for lower calories you could use non-fat milk, lower calorie butter spread, and 2% or low fat cheese. (I wouldn't recommend no fat cheese!)

Either way though it is AWESOME you are making your potatoes from scratch. So much healthier for you!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, scalloped potatoes are basically thinly sliced potatoes, layed in a baking dish, covered in a sauce made with milk, butter, cheese and flour, and baked.

I have had some success making healthier white sauces by replacing a third to a half of the milk called for with low-sodium chicken broth, yielding a sauce that's still creamy, but lighter.

I found this one on the Cooking Light forums:

SCALLOPED POTATOES
Serves 4 to 6

The quickest way to slice the potatoes is in a food processor fitted with an 1/8-inch slicing blade. If the potatoes are too long to fit into the feed tube, halve them crosswise and put them in the feed tube cut-side down so that they sit on a flat surface. If the potato slices discolor as they sit, put them in a bowl and cover with the cream and chicken broth. If you like, use Parmesan instead of cheddar.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1//2 pounds (about 5 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup lowfat milk
2 bay leaves
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming subsides. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add potatoes, chicken broth, milk, and bay leaves and bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are almost tender (paring knife can be slipped into and out of potato slice with some resistance), about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves.

3. Transfer mixture to 8-inch-square baking dish (or other 1�-quart gratin dish); sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake until sauce is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #6  

Thanks for the ideas!! This should give me something to work with this weekend. I'll try to check back and let you all know how it works out.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #7  

Default Update

This weekend, I made the recipe that was in my second post. I ended up not doing the Easter dinner, but made these to go along with a meatloaf requested by an ill friend.

I did tweak it, as I usually do with most recipes. I began by sauteeing one finely chopped shallot in about 2 Tbsp. butter. Then I followed the recipe, only adding some freshly ground black pepper. I was suprised to find the cayenne didn't make it hot at all, but I could taste it.

It was very plain, but very tasty. I like simple things sometimes. It might have could used a little more salt, but you can always add it as you are eating.

Oh, and I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 13" x 9" pan.....and I placed the pan under the broiler for 30 sec.-1 min. to slightly brown the cheese on top.

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 04-05-2010 at 10:01 AM.