Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #1  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Anyone Else Using SlimFast?

Howdy!

Just wondering if anyone else here is using the SlimFast plan... I have been on it for about 10 days and I had lost 15 lbs, but it's stopped coming off. But I am EXHAUSTED all the time! I wake up and just want to crawl back in bed all day! And by 3.00pm I usually do! It's ridiculous!! I was wondering if anyone else is using it, and if so, what are you doing with it?

If this is a crappy way to lose weight, please tell me! I know nothing about it. Just know that I have my goals and want to meet them, so am willing to do just about anything to get there (but still maintain when I do).

I'm not much of an exerciser, but have been doing a little bit better. Can't go to the gym... $$$ HATE running, but I have my Turbo Jam videos and Jillian Michaels Power Sculpt that I use and I walk around the neighborhood. Just curious what you all did differently that worked for you.

I already count calories, but with the SlimFast it's a lot different that what you are probably doing. I know I get about 1,100/day and I don't know if that is enough. If you know of a good website for me to go to, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

For every 5 lbs lost

Mini Goal 4: 160 - 45lbs to go
Unrealistic Goal?? 155 - 50lbs to go

Last edited by BrittanieYork; 03-30-2010 at 10:40 AM.
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #2  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

I started my weight loss with Slimfast and I loved it. I did stop using for several reasons:

1) I didn't need it anymore bc I knew what healthy eating was
2) I didn't want to buy the stuff anymore
3) I was tired of it
4) I knew it was something that I couldn't do for the rest of my life

And I think your tired because you are not eating enough calories. I did 1500 calories when I was doing it and lost about 2 pounds each week. I suggest eating a few hundred calories more than now.

oh and i did keep counting calories for a while after slimfast to make sure i was getting the right amount but now i don't really do anything. i know im getting around the right amount and i still look at the calories when i buy things at the grocery store but i don't log anything anymore.

Last edited by pinkalarmclock; 03-30-2010 at 10:49 AM.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Slim Fast...

Honestly, I was on it, lost maybe 5 lbs before it got boring. Boy do they need a lot more flavors to do it forever! It works and has a lot of vitamins. You might need more cals than you're taking in in order to have energy though. There are a few ways to use slim fast, best to figure it out at your own comfort. You can use it just in the morning to have something and keep you going...maybe fuller... you can do it morning and noon depending on how it makes you feel. If you're starving at dinner it might not help you. Frankly, I just think there are more filling ways to get in those calories, and tastier.... but if you're not bored with it, it might work for you. Maybe however you're using it is not providing enough vitamins all day either....maybe look into what you eat overall and see what daily requirements it isin't meeting. protein for example, or iron...something that might make you tired. I'm cheating really this time around, I take Alli, and I diet (about 1200-1400 cals daily) and exercise 15-60 mins most days... btw...I generally hate exercise... but more muscle weighs more, but burns more in the long run I DO NOT run.... I bicycle, swim when I can, lift weights, do jumping jacks, jump rope occasionally, and use my lil trampoline...oh and an ab machine....I used to use a treadmill, but honestly it's more tedious and burns slower for me than my bicycle...so not as worth it... better off walking around the block a few times. Sorry, rambling....anyway hope some of this was interesting.
NightAngel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #4  

Default oh...

oh yes, I agree, buying it is a pain... at 2x a day something like 5 bucks for 8...it gets pricey. The knockoff Wal-Mart ones are less weird textured, but seriously lack in the fullness factor as far as I can tell.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #5  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Thank you both!

I figured the energy was because of the calories, but I was afraid of bumping them up. I did SlimFast yesterday, just in the morning and it seemed to help. Maybe that's the way for me to go. I should probably try to up the exercise, too Uggg!

Pink: You are right around where I want to be! Congrats and good luck! There is no way for the to be 135 with the way I am built.

Angel: How is Alli working for you? Do you like it? I am taking something now, but it isn't something I would want to use for a long period of time, and to be honest, I don't think it's working.

For every 5 lbs lost

Mini Goal 4: 160 - 45lbs to go
Unrealistic Goal?? 155 - 50lbs to go
Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Eat more for sure!

When I started I was right around where you started. I can't remember if I was doing slim fast, I think I was. Anyway, I worked my butt off for 5 weeks. Eating maybe 1100 calories a day, exercising and the whole 9 years. I lose nothing, not a single pound. I joined 3FC and was told to eat more... I didn't believe anyone but didn't know what else to do. I started eating 1500-1800 calories a day, kept up the same amount of exercising and lost 2-2.5 pounds every single week. After losing 25 pounds or so it started slowing down. But everyone was right - eat more!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

If it's working for you, great! However, the energy drop concerns me so I think it is a good idea to incorperate some more food calories to supplement the slim fast. I've noticed that when you start your journey at a very low calorie range it is very easy to stall.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #8  

Default well...

as for Alli, I love it... but it's not for everyone... there are warnings about people who already have some kind of organ damage not using it...also generally speaking the side effects (strange and frequent bowel like) are generally true, and some say the plan works because of the sheer fear of an accident keeping people on track. I do find that it works, and I have a history of trying everything and not sticking with things...never seen a pill like this... but you do have to eat better... too much fat and it's the uh-ohs! There's a thread here somewhere I joined all about it. It's been almost 2 months now I think since I started...I hit a plateau this month... but we're getting there. The first month I was down 20lbs...now it might be 10 this month...but then I'm a binger... and I've had some trouble with it.... but...still going strong!

Def read up and see how you feel, most recommend seeing a doctor about it... it's the over the counter form of xenical (prescribed for weight loss) just with half the strength. My doc says I'm healthy and sure sounds like a fine idea...so...eh.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #9  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

I kinda sorta do slimfast. I buy the meal bars and have one for breakfast every day because that's about the only thing I can make myself eat in the mornings. It does work because it keeps me satiated till lunch, and then I'm not as likely to overeat.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I did Slimfast about 4 years ago and actually lost 50 lbs.... but as soon as I stopped the slimfast, all the weight piled back on + more. For me, the only way that has worked to lose weight and keep it off is doing things that I can see myself doing FOREVER.

Check out sparkpeople.com. They have this awesome calorie counter and sample meal ideas and recipes and a ton more... that's what I use to track my food.

Good luck!!

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 03-30-2010 at 04:32 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/135/115

Height: 5'3

hi Brittanie,
I did Slim Fast fall 2008 I guess (?) for about a month and a half and I only lost 7 pounds. However, those 7 pounds have for some mysterious reason never come back. I lost 8 more pounds last summer on my own, by dieting, and they definitely piled back on. Not sure what caused the Slim Fast weight to stay off, maybe because it was slower weight loss? Whenever I was tired I would just chug caffeine. Not good, I know...but I chug caffeine as a habit anyway and I'd rather be a thin person chugging caffeine then a bigger person chugging caffeine. Thats just me, though. If you usually dont rely on caffeine then don't start now.... DEF up your calorie intake for a week or so and see where that takes you.

I think the great thing about Slim Fast is that it takes the work out of trying to plan meals, and I'm busy and tired enough as it is without having something extra to think about...at the same time, as others have said its not something you can keep up forever.

Last edited by polka23; 03-30-2010 at 09:24 PM.
polka23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 176/135/115

Bama girl we have the exact same numbers!!!
polka23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

I use slim fast for one meal a day. I try to stick to 1200-1400 cals, usually 5 meals. It gets old for me if I don't eat real food, but I like the vitamins you get and also the fact that its a quick and easy thing to do. I am also guessing since you went low cal and with a liquid based diet, you are having more fatigue. Maybe knock the slimfast down to one or two meals. But hey, GREAT JOB on losing 15!
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #14  
Still working on it..

S/C/G: 306/ticker/130

I tried slimfast and I have found that sometimes it works best just to use it for quick meals rather than most of your diet. My weight-loss so far has been from 1200 calories a day and 20 grams of fat. I recently had to increase my calorie and fat intake because I was no longer eating enough for how active I have become. Also, I love the elliptical and it is really low impact! I usually go for 35 to 60 minutes 4-5 times a week and I average 650-1200 calories burned each time. It gets boring sometimes, but I think it is worth the calories I burn
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #15  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Thank you all for your input! I'm trying to get in more calories throughout the day, but I have just not been that hungry. I've gotten so used to the SlimFast that I barely want to eat anything else, until it comes time for dinner which is when I really need to be careful.

Do you think it would be dumb to have 2 shakes for breakfast? I hate to do it because it gets SO expensive, but that may help, I guess.

Still haven't had any weight loss in 2 days Actually have a lot of water weight right now. My hands and feet are so swollen! Ugg.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent! Thank you all for your encouraging words and I will keep my progress posted.

Last edited by BrittanieYork; 03-31-2010 at 10:04 AM.